Pond Boss
Posted By: Bullhead Anyone use a knot tying jig? - 07/02/20 02:59 PM
Since I've suddenly found that I'm old, I am having more and more trouble tying proper knots in fishing line. Strange part is I've gone from being near sighted to far sighted. Anyway, there seem to be a couple dozen different little jigs to help tie fishing knots, does anyone have a particular favorite?
Posted By: Steve_ Re: Anyone use a knot tying jig? - 07/02/20 08:01 PM
By jig, I don't think you're talking about the lure, right? I have seen some contraptions on Facebook that are supposed to help you tie knots better but I have no experience with them. 99% of the time, I use a fisherman's knot (clinch knot/improved clinch knot) and don't have any issues. I'm just now starting to learn new knots, especially for catfishing. When you say you're having trouble tying knots, is it due to your vision or something else?
Posted By: Bullhead Re: Anyone use a knot tying jig? - 07/02/20 08:19 PM
I'm talking about a contraption. I'm a klutz, I have big fingers, I don't usually take my reading glasses with me when fishing and half the time the wind is blowing the line around while I'm trying to tie it.
Posted By: Steve_ Re: Anyone use a knot tying jig? - 07/02/20 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by Bullhead
I'm talking about a contraption. I'm a klutz, I have big fingers, I don't usually take my reading glasses with me when fishing and half the time the wind is blowing the line around while I'm trying to tie it.

Haha, I gotcha. If you're fishing with bait, rather than lures, and only need to tie on a hook, you could make a bunch of rigs at home to bring with you, and add a surgeon's loop to the end of a leader which you can quickly attach to a swivel or snap swivel. If you're fishing with lures, I guess you could also go the snap swivel route, which would eliminate the need to cut and tie on a new lure all the time (unless you break off). Hope that helps.
Posted By: Crstfr Re: Anyone use a knot tying jig? - 07/03/20 12:54 PM
try using a palomar knot... its the strongest.. and easy to tie!

https://www.berkley-fishing.com/Berkley-ae-how-to-tie-a-palomar-knot.html
© Pond Boss Forum