Pond Boss
Posted By: esshup Mom - 06/14/20 02:55 AM
Her back was bothering her on May 1st after weeding and the doc said to take some Tylenol. On May 6th she drove herself in for her quarterly blood work. On the 12th, she had me take her in because her back wasn't getting any better, and she was using a cane to help walk.

(At 91.5 years old she still drove, shopped and kept up with the flower beds around the house on the 10 acres that she lived on by herself after Dad passing 2 years ago.)

The Doc gave her some Prednisone and a low dose opioid for the pain and said if she didn't get better in 4-5 days to call and they'd see her right away. The doc did that because mm had a slightly elevated liver count and it was thought the Tylenol was the culprit.

Well, Mom is a stubborn old gal and she waited 9 days before calling the doc. My sister took her in and by now she was needing to use a walker. This was on May 21st.

The doc said she didn't like the looks of Mom - she was slightly jaundiced, and said I need to take another blood test and I want you to have a CAT Scan, which will be in a few days. By the time my sister got mom home from that Dr. visit, there was a voice mail message saying Mom was scheduled for a Cat Scan the next morning. At 1:15 pm that day, (May 22nd) the doc called me and said that mom had cancer,and after poking and prodding she said it was Stage 4 and she said Mom had between 2 weeks and 2 months. That was the Friday before Memorial Day and the doc said she'd get Mom into an Oncologist on Tuesday.

The oncologist said initially she had 6 months, but that if nothing was done about the jaundice that she'd be itching uncontrollably within 2 weeks. There was a tumor in the Pancreas, a 4cm x 4 cm tumor on the right lobe of her liver, a 4cm x 3 cm tumor on the left lobe and rumors in her lymph system in the abdomen. He suggested some tests and a liver stent was scheduled for that Friday, May 29th. They put the stent in by going through her mouth, no cutting was needed. Her cancer markers in the blood were over 140,000.

Mom didn't want to go into any assisted care, and we didn't want her to do that because we couldn't see her. So Hospice was called, and I lived with her for the last 10 days 24/7 being her caregiver. On Friday June 5th we finally had a caregiver start to give me a break and to help take care of Mom. It wasn't 5 hours after she started that Mom passed away, 5 minutes shy of the "2 week" time frame that the family doctor gave us.

I have jewelry that was made from flower petals from both of my grandmothers funerals and my Dads funeral. With Mom passing, and her viewing/service this past Friday, I have some flowers that I saved.

All the jewelry that I have is a very dark, almost black color. I saved some flowers that were white, and a bright red color. I'd like to get a set of cuff links and a tie tack in something other than a dark color.

Has anybody used a place for something like that? If so, and if you were satisfied with what you received, can you please tell me who you used?

Thanks,
Scott
Posted By: Sunil Re: Mom - 06/14/20 01:59 PM
Sorry for your loss, Scott.

Rest well, Betty Schillig.
Posted By: wbuffetjr Re: Mom - 06/14/20 02:35 PM
I am sorry all we can do is say sorry, Scott. Hang in there!
Posted By: Tbar Re: Mom - 06/14/20 02:55 PM
Sorry for your loss.

It is never easy
Posted By: Zep Re: Mom - 06/14/20 03:13 PM
Condolences Scott.....I'm sure she was a very special lady.
Posted By: RStringer Re: Mom - 06/14/20 05:54 PM
I have zero knowledge to help you with the flowers. Just wanted to say sorry for your loss. She is with her husband (DAD) again.
Posted By: Bobbss Re: Mom - 06/15/20 01:25 AM
Very sorry for you and your family.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Mom - 06/15/20 04:47 AM
So sorry to hear, Scott. We are sending our thoughts your way.
Posted By: esshup Re: Mom - 06/15/20 04:47 AM
Thanks guys. It's appreciated.
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: Mom - 06/15/20 12:28 PM
Scott, I had the pleasure of meeting your parents twice, with your mom there to greet us on the driveway, treating us like old friends. And your dad with some great stories to tell for over an hour. The one thing they both agreed on, and couldn't stop talking about was you, let alone your ability to catch fish (and they were right!).
I'm so sorry for your loss, and feel blessed to have met them both.

Take care my friend!
Posted By: NEDOC Re: Mom - 06/15/20 12:49 PM
Sorry to hear Scott. Sounds like she lived a full and wonderful life.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Mom - 06/15/20 02:31 PM
Scott's dad was a Chicago firefighter, so I always had a soft spot for him.

Scott, I can't recommend anybody in particular, but if you Google "make cuff links from flowers", there are a lot of options out there. Apparently making jewelry from flowers is not uncommon.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Mom - 06/15/20 05:16 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your Mom. Best wishes for you.
Posted By: esshup Re: Mom - 06/17/20 01:24 AM
Thanks guys!

FIH, I have some of Dad's old work shirts, with the patches on them. I want to save one set, but do you know of a place to donate the rest that could use them for something other than rag material? He retired in 1985 (IIRC) after 35 years & after he maxed out his pension. and he passed away in 2018, so he had a good retirement.
Posted By: Bocomo Re: Mom - 06/17/20 03:09 AM
Hey Scott,

So sorry to hear about your mom. If you still need a rec for a jeweller let me know, I know a good one but not sure if he can do exactly what you're looking for.
Posted By: Snipe Re: Mom - 06/27/20 03:53 AM
Scott, I am so sorry to hear about your mother.
I was going to add a new thread here about my Mother who was diagnosed about 10 days ago with Late stage liver cancer and I seen this "Mom" thread. I won't post another but I'm going through a similar situation here, as she was given 2 weeks to a month 9-10 days ago.
I wanted to say to all here that this forum has become my go-to for nightly reading and sharing about something we all have in common and I want to say thanks to everyone that participates here. I've only met a couple of you but I feel at home here and during this time I spend with my Mother, when I get a few moments to sneak on, I can't say in words how much I appreciate having this to come to and take my mind off of other issues. It's a small release that allows some regeneration of the soul.
The only other thing I have done for over a week now is the traps being baited at night and an hour sorting craws in the am.
I hope you don't mind this addition to your thread Scott, I'm so sorry about your loss.
Posted By: Flame Re: Mom - 06/27/20 11:36 AM
Sorry for your loss.Words can't say enough. Be strong. Try to keep loved ones near by to comfort you. You have many friends here!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Mom - 06/29/20 07:24 PM
Snipe, sorry to hear that news. How old is your Mom, and what's her name? We'll put her in our thoughts.
Posted By: ewest Re: Mom - 06/29/20 10:53 PM
She had a long life and you have many good memories to remember. Hold on to the memories. Prayers from all of us.
Posted By: Snipe Re: Mom - 06/30/20 05:36 AM
Originally Posted by Sunil
Snipe, sorry to hear that news. How old is your Mom, and what's her name? We'll put her in our thoughts.
75. Joyce.. I feel bad posting this on Scott's thread but there were so many similarities when I read this.
Thanks Sunil, very thoughtful of you.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Mom - 06/30/20 01:40 PM
We've all been mothered by more Moms than our own, and our own Moms have mothered more than just us.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Mom - 06/30/20 03:04 PM
My Mom died 10 years ago. She taught 5th grade for 35 years and retired 30 years ago. I am still running into people who will tell me how she affected their lives.
Posted By: esshup Re: Mom - 07/19/20 11:01 PM
Snipe, I'm so sorry to hear this. Take whatever steps you need to do to make her comfortable and I hope that she can be surrounded by family until the end.
© Pond Boss Forum