Pond Boss
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/21/16 09:41 PM
Catmandoo, Todd, and the rest of you?

Catmandoo must be getting his equipment ready. Haven't seen him on here.

Guess up to an inch of ice farther south? Horrible stuff there. frown

Posted By: Bill D. Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/21/16 09:46 PM
Good time for those folks to stay home for a few days if they can. That's what I'd do.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/21/16 11:04 PM
Better stock up on whiskey, chew, and coffee.

Ken will be OK. He has roots close to Canada and thought he moved South.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/21/16 11:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1

Ken will be OK. He has roots close to Canada and thought he moved South.

grin

The locals probably chew him out for bringing the snow with him!
Posted By: esshup Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/22/16 04:52 AM
I know a guy that lives about 130 miles South of Ken. They are saying 12"-24" at his place.

Ken told me that they were predicting 24"-36" for his area. He said he's got plenty of fuel for the generator and for the tractor so he's set.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/22/16 04:59 AM
When one considers that's only a 2-3" rain event, I'm surprised we don't have more big snow dumps like this more often. Lincoln had a couple 1-2" rains in December - if temps would not have been unseasonable warm, I'm guessing we'd have had over 40" snow in December. That would have shattered NE records by a wide margin.

Enjoy the blizzard, Ken - and break out the coon jerky!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/22/16 02:08 PM
I talked to Ken last night. Linda has abandoned him and gone to lower elevations in town.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/22/16 02:09 PM
"Better stock up on whiskey, chew, and coffee".
Now that's why I love rednecks!!!
Posted By: JKB Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/22/16 04:04 PM
Getting a bit of that blizzard down here in KY as well.

Only 4 people showed up to work at the factory this morning.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/22/16 09:40 PM
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
When one considers that's only a 2-3" rain event, I'm surprised we don't have more big snow dumps like this more often. Lincoln had a couple 1-2" rains in December - if temps would not have been unseasonable warm, I'm guessing we'd have had over 40" snow in December. That would have shattered NE records by a wide margin.

Enjoy the blizzard, Ken - and break out the coon jerky!

I'm sure you know TJ weather is more complicated than that. If it had been colder the storm track may not even have been up your way and not as much if any moisture. For those that dislike heavy snow events (not me) it's a good thing cold air is drier than warm air. It takes special conditions for the warmer moister air to feed into colder air to produce the bombogenisis we are seeing on the east coast.

I suspect the losers will be those farther south that will get heavy icing. Only takes 1/2 inch of ice to drop powerlines. They expecting up to an inch. That really sucks!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/22/16 09:42 PM
I talked to Ken last night. Linda has abandoned him and gone to lower elevations in town.

Dave,

Are they calling for any freezing rain at his location, or will it be all snow? What town is he near again?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/22/16 09:45 PM
Originally Posted By: JKB

Was going to post a picture of a redneck snowblower but was afraid I would offend our Kentucky members even though I was born in Kentucky and have relatives there.

grin
Posted By: Sunil Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/22/16 09:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Bob-O
"Better stock up on whiskey, chew, and coffee".
Now that's why I love rednecks!!!

You ever heard Guv speak?
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/22/16 09:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
.... For those that dislike heavy snow events (not me) ....

I admit I'm a lot like a little kid when it comes to big snow events. I really enjoy them. Seems we always have enough warning to have time to lay in the provisions before hand so I build a nice fire in the fireplace and watch it snow! smile
Posted By: JKB Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/22/16 11:21 PM

Was going to post a picture of a redneck snowblower but was afraid I would offend our Kentucky members even though I was born in Kentucky and have relatives there.

grin

They shut the factory down at 11:30am so who that showed up could get home before it got too bad. The town closed up pretty much as well about then.

I had to get some gas and such, and the closest place open was Walmart, 26 miles away in Danville.

I didn't think the driving was all that terrible, but they closed US-127 about the time I got back to the motel.

Hope to get out of here tomorrow morning, but they are not use to dealing with this much snow.

Not sure how much so far, but it's been drifting the past couple hours.

Posted By: Bill D. Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/22/16 11:50 PM

They shut the factory down at 11:30am so who that showed up could get home before it got too bad. The town closed up pretty much as well about then.

I had to get some gas and such, and the closest place open was Walmart, 26 miles away in Danville.

I didn't think the driving was all that terrible, but they closed US-127 about the time I got back to the motel.

Hope to get out of here tomorrow morning, but they are not use to dealing with this much snow.

Not sure how much so far, but it's been drifting the past couple hours.

So what's yer plan for the evening man? Any restaurants open near by so you can at least get dinner?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/23/16 12:30 PM
Sunil, most native Texans talk that way. We are different than folks up North. We think fast but talk slow. That way, Yankees can understand us.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/23/16 12:31 PM
Sunil, most native Texans talk that way. We are different than folks up North. We think fast but talk slow. That way, Yankees can understand us.

Dave, I knew I liked you, even though we have never met. smile

Tracy
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/23/16 01:55 PM
Sunil got burnt.
TGW, Double D seems ta have that effect.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/23/16 02:30 PM
Well, here's the thing. We are taught early to talk slowly and enunciate clearly. It's unfair to take advantage of damyankees from Pennsylvania.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/23/16 02:44 PM
Well, here's the thing. We are taught early to talk slowly and enunciate clearly. It's unfair to take advantage of damyankees from Pennsylvania.

grin
Posted By: JKB Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/23/16 03:50 PM

There is an elderly couple from Texas (near Dallas) in the next room, and I heard every one of his cuss words very clearly while he was digging his car out of a snow drift. wink

His car was covered with ice under the snow. I gave him an extra ice scraper I had. He had remote start on the car and I told him to start the car and let it run for a while to warm it up.

Success, he gets the door open. (after the car was running for a while)

Knock - knock on my door?

He reaches for his wallet to give me his insurance info... He hit my truck while trying to get his car out.

I go outside to check things out. Yep, there is a dent there behind the left rear tire, but that WAS there. Couldn't see any other damage, so no big deal.

Looked at his car and there is a nice gash about 3" high x 6" long from his right rear tail light into the quarter panel.

He caught the leading edge of my rear bumper just right and it peeled his car open like a tin can.

Edit: He took a spin down the road, came back, and they are going to hibernate in the motel till it melts!
Posted By: JKB Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/23/16 04:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
So what's yer plan for the evening man? Any restaurants open near by so you can at least get dinner?

Everything was closed down yesterday around here, that is why I drove to Danville. I got some microwave stuff from Walmart.

They are making some progress at cleaning up the snow in town here, but not doing it with much enthusiasm.

There is a gas station open and a CVS Pharmacy as well.

I doubt they will plow out the motel parking lot. They only opened it up a bit at the roads so you could see the entrance, then you're on your own.

They have a Polaris ATV (6 wheel rig) with a snow plow at the motel, but that thing would only make a bad thing worse if you don't know how to plow snow. Besides, it's kinda buried right now.

My opinion from talking to people, they just wait till it melts. Gal at the front desk says if they get 1" of snow, schools are closed for 3 days.
Posted By: JKB Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/23/16 04:31 PM
Oh Boy, lady in the room on the other side of my truck just fired up her car. She's from SW Georgia and can't drive in snow. eek Maybe I should move my truck.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/23/16 04:37 PM
Oh Boy, lady in the room on the other side of my truck just fired up her car. She's from SW Georgia and can't drive in snow. eek Maybe I should move my truck.

I don't now man. Maybe leave it there. Sounds like, if you play your cards right, you might get a new truck out of this! grin
Posted By: esshup Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/23/16 04:38 PM
Posted By: Sunil Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/23/16 05:00 PM
Burned by the keys on a keyboard....
Posted By: JKB Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/23/16 06:38 PM

I don't now man. Maybe leave it there. Sounds like, if you play your cards right, you might get a new truck out of this! grin

Could work. wink
I was looking at new trucks before I came down here. grin

I have to hit the factory for a bit on Monday, so head back after that. This place makes pipe for farm gates and posts. That's all they do.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/23/16 09:39 PM
I'd get out of there ASAP JKB. Sounds like an episode of the Twilight zone. Car is damaged and can't leave -- locals never get it fixed! eek

Deliverance theme song in the background…. crazy
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/23/16 09:53 PM
We got a little bit of snow here so far. The weather folks say it should stop in another 6-7 hours.

This is Lynda's "kitchen garden" which is just outside the kitchen window.

So far, just 32 inches of snow.

I can't get out the kitchen door, but this is what it looks like out the front door.

My tractor is 4WD. The rear tires are loaded with liquid and I've got "X-chains" on the tires. I got it stuck trying to bring some gasoline down to the basement door for the snow thrower. That was about 8:30 this morning. I may not get it unstuck until May.

Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/23/16 09:56 PM
Only 32 inches? What a rip!
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/23/16 10:14 PM
Only 32 inches? What a rip!

The fat lady has not yet sung!

I went upstairs just after I posted those photos, and we were up to 34 inches. They are still saying we can expect about another 6-8 hours of this.

The ground hog will be out before I will. cry
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/23/16 10:19 PM
Man that's going to be rough on the deer!
Posted By: NEDOC Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/23/16 10:30 PM
Catmandoo, just use the loader to push yourself out! You can't get stuck in those little tractors when you have your loader on.
Posted By: JKB Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/23/16 11:41 PM
WOW Ken, sure am glad this steel mill ain't in your neck of the woods!! We got about half of that and quit snowing this morning. Been melting a bit from the ground heat. They're getting the town cleaned up to the city limits.

Poor gal was digging out her Blue Mazda, then the snow slid off the roof and buried her again.

Guy from Texas could have had a better or worse day... He caught my bumper exactly perfect!!!

Posted By: catmandoo Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/24/16 12:29 AM
Cecil -- "Man that's going to be rough on the deer!"

Yeah. Normally we take anywhere from 5-10 antlerless from my farm. None got taken this year because of some surgery/recovery I needed. The 160 acre apple farm/orchard next to me only took a 7 point and a 12 point buck this year, due to the death of the owner in early November.

Up until a week ago, we were regularly seeing anywhere from about 4 to 14 antlerless out of our windows. That is way too many for this time of year. If we get any more "regular" size snows, we will lose a lot of deer this winter.

NEDOC -- "Catmandoo, just use the loader to push yourself out! You can't get stuck in those little tractors when you have your loader on."

Where have you been?

Anyway, having been doing this crazy stuff for well over 50 years, I'm well acquainted with "crabbing" my way out of situations like this on dozers, loaders, trackhoes, tractors, etc. This one was another of those "special events" -- and, not the first time. I've gotten to watch a CAT 953 get airlifted out with a helicopter. (My incident isn't anywhere near that serious.)

I was trying to transport a fuel tank in the loader bucket. The snow built up, and got compacted under the tractor. I got to a point where I couldn't go forward or backward. The snow was above knee level at that point. The snow is now over the back tires.

Oh well. Spring is on its way.

JKB -- I spent enough time on Lake Superior, including a lot of time on the UP, to know that Michigan snow is not something to fool with. I really wanted to get an engineering degree from Michigan Tech in Houghton-Hancock. I visited friends and family there for Thanksgiving 1965 and Easter/Spring Break 1966. Both times I got stranded in storms worse than what we are presently experiencing.
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/24/16 12:49 AM
Dam Canadian looking at these pictures thinking lucky guys. We are looking at the grass through what little snow we have. Would love to see 36"s.

We have a few sleds we would love to get out.

Picture of the monster with the new boss seat. Took the NOS off no big need for the extra 50hp. Pic of the rest of the heard.

Attached picture monsterBoss.jpg
Attached picture outforsomesun2.jpg
Posted By: JKB Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/24/16 12:49 AM
Ken,
Just to fill you in, I am in Liberty, Kentucky right now.

I wish I was in MI wink
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/24/16 05:28 AM
Probably over half of the locals here would not recognize a snowmobile. We have not had any more than a dusting this winter.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/24/16 05:55 AM
Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wML2V6crNc0
Posted By: wbuffetjr Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/24/16 01:14 PM
I am ready!!! Picked this sucker up last week at an auction in Alabama of all places! Pretty sure I am the ONLY guy in Georgia with a snowcat in his yard! Gonna haul her out West with me and find her a new owner!

Posted By: Bing Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/24/16 02:06 PM
I am somewhat snowbound in Nashville waiting until they clear the roads. Hope to pass through Georgia tomorrow. Hope you have that Cat available. I may need rescuing.

When I say Somewhat Snowbound it means I am ready to drive but my wife thinks waiting makes sense.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/24/16 03:43 PM
"The ground hog will be out before I will."
GH day is just around the corner. Are you ready Bruce-O?
Posted By: JKB Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/24/16 04:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Bing
I am somewhat snowbound in Nashville waiting until they clear the roads.

That guy from Texas just left Liberty and is on his way to Nashville.

They cleared snow pretty good south of here on 127, but northbound, they need to do a bit more work. I went about 7 miles north last night just to check it out.

They got all the cars dug out except that Blue Mazda. With it being 35 and sunny today, the rest of the snow on the roof's may come down.
Posted By: esshup Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/24/16 04:10 PM
Originally Posted By: wbuffetjr
I am ready!!! Picked this sucker up last week at an auction in Alabama of all places! Pretty sure I am the ONLY guy in Georgia with a snowcat in his yard! Gonna haul her out West with me and find her a new owner!

What the heck were they doing with that in Alabama?

Why find it a new owner, couldn't you use it?
Posted By: wbuffetjr Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/24/16 04:13 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup

What the heck were they doing with that in Alabama?

Why find it a new owner, couldn't you use it?

I have no idea how it wound up there!

I need a bigger machine that seats more people and I a different style machine will be better for where I am going.
Posted By: esshup Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/24/16 04:18 PM
Well then that is a good start to the correct machine fund!!
Posted By: JKB Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/24/16 06:45 PM
Cecil,
You got a relative down here named Chubby Baird?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/24/16 10:29 PM
Cecil,

LOL Not that I'm aware. The relatives I have down there have a different last name.

Although I was born there it was on a military base (Ft. Knox) because my dad was in the military at the time.
Posted By: JKB Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/24/16 11:25 PM
Cecil,

LOL Not that I'm aware. The relatives I have down there have a different last name.

Although I was born there it was on a military base (Ft. Knox) because my dad was in the military at the time.

Well, Chubby Baird owns one of the vast majority of Farm Gate manufacturing companies down here, and they have acres of gates!

I don't understand the inventory process down here, but everyone has acres of gates!

Can there be that many farm gates in the US? Darn mind boggling!!!
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/25/16 12:12 AM

I don't understand the inventory process down here, but everyone has acres of gates!

Can there be that many farm gates in the US? Darn mind boggling!!!

I don't know if this still holds true but when I was growing up on the farm, truckers dead heading it back from down south with flat bed trailers would buy a load of gates on their way back north and then sell them to individual farmers or local coops. I remember my dad buying lots of gates from truckers that just showed up in our barnyard on a summer day. Truckers with grain or box trailers often picked up loads of melons to sell instead of dead heading. My sis and I had a vegetable stand by the highway and it was not unusual for me to be able to buy several hundred melons well below local wholesale.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/26/16 07:14 PM
Originally Posted By: anthropic

I finally made it out after the big blizard.

We got 35 inches. When I finally got to the top of my hill, which is a field, I found about 350 feet of a 4-5 foot drift across where the driveway was buried.

Next winter I'm going to be at our beach place in southern North Carolina. cool
Posted By: esshup Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/26/16 07:36 PM
Ken, did you get the tractor unburied?
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/26/16 07:55 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
Ken, did you get the tractor unburied?

Yes. It just took some digging after the snow finally quit. The snow was packed pretty solid under the frame and axles, and at the front and back of all four wheels. I'm figuring that the frame was packing and sledding over the snow when it just sunk.
Posted By: wbuffetjr Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/26/16 08:51 PM
Originally Posted By: catmandoo

We got 35 inches. When I finally got to the top of my hill, which is a field, I found about 350 feet of a 4-5 foot drift across where the driveway was buried.

Want to buy a snow cat? wink
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/26/16 09:41 PM
Originally Posted By: catmandoo

Want to buy a snow cat? wink

Believe me -- it was floating around in my mind yesterday and today.

But, my wife and I decided this is our last winter in the snow and cold.

Next winter we are headed south.
Posted By: JKB Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/27/16 12:36 AM
I did head south, so I thought wink

It's nice to be back in crazy MI with the crazy drivers. (just got back home a half hour ago) I trust the people up here on snow eek
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/27/16 03:10 AM
Phil, gotta agree with trustin northern drivers on snow. I was near Nashville, Tn one time when it snowed and everybody simply freaked.
During normal winters Atlanta usually gets a heavy dusting and it looks like a HUGE demo derby.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/27/16 02:45 PM
When the D/FW area get snow it generally shuts everything down. The problem is that it usually comes with ice and we have a lot of overpasses.
Posted By: JKB Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/28/16 03:28 AM
When the D/FW area get snow it generally shuts everything down. The problem is that it usually comes with ice and we have a lot of overpasses.

It's just that they don't know how to deal with it because it's not a common occurrence.

They did a good job in KY for what they were dealt, but the consensus, outside of some people with money was just to let it melt, and Carry On...

Next day please wink
Posted By: JKB Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/28/16 11:52 PM

.... you might get a new truck out of this! grin

Went to the Dodge service dept today to get some mechanical work done on my truck. Looked at the quote, turned around and walked over to new truck sales, signed my name. New truck should be here by Monday grin
Posted By: Shorty Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/29/16 12:02 AM
The weather models are saying we might have a good snow storm coming through on Monday into Tuesday, it will depend on how it tracks over the Rockies on where the heavy snow will hit. Right now they are thinking anywhere between 5" to 20" of snow with 25-35 mph winds, gusts up to 50 mph. Next week could be fun. grin
Posted By: JKB Re: Ready for the blizzard out east? - 01/29/16 12:23 AM
Esshup recently mentioned 40" for Iowa next week. eek
© Pond Boss Forum