Pond Boss
Posted By: JKB Stupid Chipmunk... - 12/12/15 09:52 PM
... followed a few relatives to a watery grave!

I was looking for a bucket to aid in a task today and remembered there was one by the tractor. Last time, there were a few dead field mice in it so cleaned it out, but set it outside and left it outside. Only about 4" of water in the bottom, but the critter couldn't get out. Good! because these things cause a lot of damage, and are only good for Owl food.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Stupid Chipmunk... - 12/12/15 11:12 PM
Collect a few more and you can make fashion liners for buckskin slippers from the pelts. White oak burning in your stove, feet nice and toasty in the chipmunk lined slippers, maybe a stack of flapjacks with Tony's maple syrup...don't suppose you smoke a pipe?
Posted By: highflyer Re: Stupid Chipmunk... - 12/13/15 02:26 AM
TJ,

If I had chipmunk lined slippers, I would smoke a pipe. It would be a must!! My pipe would sit right next to my very large cup of tea and plate of leftover pancake remains and syrup.
Posted By: Tbar Re: Stupid Chipmunk... - 12/13/15 02:37 AM
You know you can make a pretty good mouse/rat/chipmunk trap out of that bucket. As seen on another site.

Posted By: Bill D. Re: Stupid Chipmunk... - 12/13/15 02:38 AM
Originally Posted By: highflyer
.... plate of leftover pancake remains and syrup.

Has not happened at my house since I got a jug of Sparkie's magic elixir (I am hoarding it for personal use!). My wife made me French toast stuffed with cream cheese and raspberry preserves a couple days ago for breakfast. A stingy application of the elixir made it perfect! smile
Posted By: JKB Re: Stupid Chipmunk... - 12/13/15 02:44 AM
Originally Posted By: Tbar
You know you can make a pretty good mouse/rat/chipmunk trap out of that bucket. As seen on another site.

Had a bucket trap for mice that just used a string they could climb up, then string was taught across the top with peanut butter smeared on it. Splash!!!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Stupid Chipmunk... - 12/13/15 06:56 AM
TJ,

If I had chipmunk lined slippers, I would smoke a pipe. It would be a must!! My pipe would sit right next to my very large cup of tea and plate of leftover pancake remains and syrup.

Yes, you're onto something there. Suppose we'd need a leather bound copy of War and Peace, you know, something pretty hefty, opened on our lap, too...for authenticity sake at least.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Stupid Chipmunk... - 12/13/15 06:57 AM
Originally Posted By: Bill D.

Has not happened at my house since I got a jug of Sparkie's magic elixir (I am hoarding it for personal use!). My wife made me French toast stuffed with cream cheese and raspberry preserves a couple days ago for breakfast. A stingy application of the elixir made it perfect! smile

Made with real Chinchilla bits, Bill?
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Stupid Chipmunk... - 12/13/15 07:01 AM
Originally Posted By: JKB
Originally Posted By: Tbar

Had a bucket trap for mice that just used a string they could climb up, then string was taught across the top with peanut butter smeared on it. Splash!!!

I'm afraid I'm going to need a little more than that - please share your design. I get your design, and love the simplicity, but photos help me tremendously.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Stupid Chipmunk... - 12/13/15 01:49 PM
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Originally Posted By: Bill D.

Made with real Chinchilla bits, Bill?

Absolutely! Too many chemicals in those artificial Chinchilla bits you see in the grocery store! grin
Posted By: JKB Re: Stupid Chipmunk... - 12/13/15 07:05 PM
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
I'm afraid I'm going to need a little more than that - please share your design. I get your design, and love the simplicity, but photos help me tremendously.

TJ,
Seeing as this bucket already has a track record of 3 kills without it even being rigged, that could be a sign from above.

The string thing (balers twine was used) came from my BIL's uncle who was a career military guy who spent a lot of time in nasty places. He's the one that set this up in the pole barn.

All he did was take a 5 gallon bucket, drill two opposing holes at the top of the bucket, tied the twine on one side, pulled it thru the other hole and drew it tight like a tightrope, then tied it. Enough twine was left to drape it down to the floor.

The twine over the bucket was generously coated with peanut butter, about 3" from each end. Reason being is a mouse can walk on the rim of a bucket because that is solid. The slack twine made it easier for the mice to climb up the bucket, but when they hit the horizontal tight twine with all four feet trying to get to the goodies they crave, Physics Happens!

The explanation here is the tight twine made it feel rigid to the mouse, and therefore safe, but has pretty much Zero torsional properties that a load could latch onto and stay upright, hence, the unsuspecting but greedy mouse, doesn't know this and goes for a swim with no way to get out.
Posted By: SetterGuy Re: Stupid Chipmunk... - 12/13/15 08:58 PM
I'm trying this. (Bucket, bottle, ramp, and water device.)
Looks like a winner to me.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Stupid Chipmunk... - 12/14/15 12:56 AM
That helps me thanks JKB
Posted By: JKB Re: Stupid Chipmunk... - 12/14/15 06:08 AM
I think you could think up a few more variations of this. I like the one with the orange bucket posted above.
© Pond Boss Forum