Pond Boss
Posted By: sprkplug Big change. - 11/14/15 02:50 AM
I guess it's official, I signed the formal letter of acceptance with Indiana University today. Will begin a four year apprenticeship in January, last day for the shop is Dec. 4th. Big changes ahead, excited for what the future holds.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Big change. - 11/14/15 03:26 AM
Congrats Tony! You will excel I am sure! Please provide some details if you get a chance.
Posted By: Zep Re: Big change. - 11/14/15 03:32 AM
Congrats Sparks!

ps: how old are you?
Posted By: highflyer Re: Big change. - 11/14/15 06:30 AM
Tony,

I'm slow, what are you doing with the university?

And what about next seasons syrup?
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Big change. - 11/14/15 03:33 PM
Brian you're not slow, I just haven't said anything until now. My wife and I have known for some time that our family was headed for a crossroads, we just never knew when we would arrive, or which direction we would turn once there. This last year and a half, a course began to present itself that seemed to fit our needs pretty well. A large part of our new direction involves a change of vocation for yours truly, and I began to search in earnest this past spring. Truthfully, after nine years here in this shop, I'm ready to move on.

Certainly I needed something that would provide for my family's security, but I also wanted something technical in nature, and challenging. Soon discovered that was a difficult combination to locate in today's job market. So, when the position of Elevator Mechanic apprentice opened up at the university, I applied.

They told me there were over 50 qualified applicants for the position. And after almost four months of transcripts, letters of recommendation, interviews, and hours of skills/assessment tests, fortune favored me.

And Zep I agree. At 49 I'm old for an apprentice. And while they were tactful and polite during yesterday's meeting, there is no doubt in my mind that the same thought crossed their minds a time or two also. Still, I'm excited at the prospect of what I'm about to learn, and what I'm going to be a part of at the university. Four years to Journeyman....I got this.

As far as maple syrup, this will undoubtedly curtail our efforts, at least for the upcoming season. Once I have some time in perhaps my schedule will offer a little more freedom, but certainly not to the degree that I have enjoyed being self-employed. Still, we intend to cook and make syrup in a few weeks. Probably not on as large a scale, but we will do what we can. I will be in the woods today, opening up trees and getting ready to install our very first run of tubing, and I have marked an additional 25 walnut trees, and 20 maples, so we're still expanding the operation. It will all work out, and be worth it in the end. I begin at IU on Jan 4th, and will be taking most of December off to facilitate remodel operations over at our other house. Lots going on right now, so excited at what lies ahead.
Posted By: highflyer Re: Big change. - 11/14/15 03:43 PM
I LOVE IT!!

They chose wisely!!
Posted By: JKB Re: Big change. - 11/14/15 03:52 PM
Pretty cool, Spark!! Congrats!!!

Ya know, that job could have it's ups and downs wink
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Big change. - 11/14/15 04:07 PM
Originally Posted By: JKB
Pretty cool, Spark!! Congrats!!!

Ya know, that job could have it's ups and downs wink

Yeah I've heard that. As long as I don't get the shaft. grin

(actually, I think it's referred to as a hoistway.)
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Big change. - 11/14/15 04:09 PM
You will do very well especially since you owned and operated a successful business.
Posted By: gully washer Re: Big change. - 11/14/15 04:42 PM
Congrats, Dude! Elevator mechanics make bank!

I suspect that many employers of the trades actually prefer to hire older, experienced, and more stable applicants for apprenticeships. Although at 49, you are definitely pushing the upper age limit. Apparently they saw something in you which sparked their interest.

Congrats again, and good luck!
Posted By: Yolk Sac Re: Big change. - 11/14/15 06:23 PM
Congrats, Sparkie--sounds like a fascinating and challenging endeavor.

I hope I'm not out of place to suggest that you don't mention your plans for an "Improved" electric-propane hybrid elevator for a bit? Might just not set the right tone at the beginning.
Posted By: JKB Re: Big change. - 11/14/15 07:31 PM
I'm counting on Spark to make vast improvements with this platform:

Maybe add a smidgen of Chocolate to the Maple Syrup, as a custom touch.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Big change. - 11/14/15 07:46 PM
Thanks all, appreciate the encouragement.

Yolk, I will heed your advice and refrain from touting the many benefits of hybridization, and how it might benefit the elevator industry as a whole. For now.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Big change. - 11/14/15 07:53 PM

Maybe add a smidgen of Chocolate to the Maple Syrup, as a custom touch.

Defiler! grin
Posted By: JKB Re: Big change. - 11/14/15 08:07 PM
Never know wink
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Big change. - 11/14/15 09:51 PM
If you ever service the elevator at Eginmann Hall yours truly rode up and down that thing a few hundred times.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Big change. - 11/14/15 10:57 PM
Tony,

Excellent field to get into in my opinion, especially for someone with your talents. FWIW one of our sister companies, Otis Elevator, is always looking for creative and innovative folks once you get that experience under your belt. One of the major limiting factors for how high skyscrapers can be is elevator technology.
Posted By: esshup Re: Big change. - 11/15/15 04:28 AM
Congrats Tony!!!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Big change. - 11/15/15 10:34 AM
Also congrats Tony
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Big change. - 11/15/15 12:26 PM
Hay sparky, you can tell us the truth, we wont say anything, are you going to be working on the new Space Elevator we here about? smile Congrats Man

Tracy
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Big change. - 11/15/15 01:04 PM
Tony, I know you'll do well. You have that kind of analytical mind that wants to know why things fail, and not just replace parts. That's a plus for any job, and especially this one.

Besides that, you'll get a cool set of elevator door keys. They're like safe cracking 101 tools.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Big change. - 11/15/15 01:26 PM
Al, I've never met a mechanic or technician of any sort who wasn't looking for a reason to accumulate more tools. Me included.
Posted By: JKB Re: Big change. - 11/15/15 03:51 PM
Spark, are you going to be dealing with any electrical stuff?
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Big change. - 11/15/15 04:06 PM
Oh yeah, the full spectrum. All the way from maintenance to new installations, it's all done inhouse. They have elevators from the 40's, up to a state of the art unit they are presently installing. Logic relays and motor generator drive machines, and VVVF drives feeding AC motors. Gonna' be a wild ride!
Posted By: JKB Re: Big change. - 11/15/15 04:32 PM
Sounds like fun!!!

One of my trusty older meters grew legs while working at a customers. Got a new one that's pretty darn Cool!!!

In the theme of new tools: Amprobe ACDC-54NAV

Oh yeah, I got a free one of these as well when I bought it: Amprobe IR-710

Still waiting for delivery of the IR thermometer.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Big change. - 11/15/15 04:48 PM
When I first starting reading the first post, I could only think Spark was going to school to be a Giant Foam Finger Maker.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Big change. - 11/15/15 05:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Sunil
When I first starting reading the first post, I could only think Spark was going to school to be a Giant Foam Finger Maker.

I've got my eye on that position ultimately, but needed to get my foot in the door somehow. Gotta' pay your dues and work your way up!
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Big change. - 11/15/15 07:28 PM
Sparky, good for you. It takes grit to make such big decisions. I'm sure from reading your posts that you are intelligent enough and determined and will do just fine.
Posted By: JKB Re: Big change. - 11/15/15 09:34 PM
Bob - Not grit, but common sense.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Big change. - 11/15/15 10:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb55EniWVSYg
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Big change. - 11/15/15 10:38 PM
Hilarious!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Big change. - 11/15/15 10:48 PM
Straight ahead, Tony!!!
Posted By: JKB Re: Big change. - 11/15/15 10:58 PM

I guess Sunil is not watching his diet tonight laugh
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Big change. - 11/16/15 03:36 PM
Phil, Websters defines grit as "stubborn courage". By reading Sparkies posts it's clear he has more common sense than the average poster.
Posted By: JKB Re: Big change. - 11/16/15 03:52 PM
Agree!!!
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Big change. - 11/17/15 12:35 AM
Thanks again guys, but maybe it's just the luck of the draw once in awhile.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Big change. - 12/04/15 09:41 PM
Last day of business here in the shop. Almost over, and a very strange feeling. The shop is empty except for a couple personal projects, haven't seen it look that way in years. No machines to work on, spent the day fabricating swing-out bar stools for our new kitchen island. Used the metal lathe, drill press, metal bandsaw, belt grinder, and both welders. Probably doesn't sound very peaceful to someone unaccustomed to such things, but it was a very productive, relaxing, day.

Time to change the message on the answering machine, and hang the sign on the door.
Posted By: Flame Re: Big change. - 12/04/15 09:56 PM
sprkplug, I had a small engine repair business for 35 years.Closed the doors on it over 5 years ago and still don't miss it a bit. I spend more time now restoring old cars and working around the pond and travelling with the wife. There are plenty ways to supplement income if needed. Have fun and do things you love to do!!
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Big change. - 12/05/15 12:36 AM
Tony, the finality of all this had to feel strange.

Again, good luck on your new journey.
Posted By: JKB Re: Big change. - 12/05/15 12:40 AM
I don't miss the shop one bit either. 19 years designing and building custom machinery and tooling. The way the automotive industry changed with Tier 1 is what turned my stomach. Before, if you built a piece for a production line, you got paid as soon your equipment was proven out and signed off on. Pretty simple, right? Someone thought it would be a good idea not to pay ANYONE until everything is proven out, and some people out there really build JUNK!!! Longest wait was about 2 years and I ended up building the piece that replaced this companies POS. (it was a gub subsidized co. that built it)

Yeah, I don't miss the turmoil of dealing with certain situations. Company you're doing something for goes on strike or bankrupt, not much you can do except wait it out or pay lawyers.

Good luck Spark!
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Big change. - 12/05/15 12:51 AM
Tony, I can only imagine the things you must be feeling. Sad, excited, nervous are words that come to mind. New opportunities have arrived. Enjoy the experience and more importantly, I hope you enjoy the new vocation, to me, that is the most important aspect of any job.

Good luck Sir and enjoy the ride!
Posted By: JKB Re: Big change. - 12/05/15 01:26 AM
Yeah Bill, there are emotional things you go thru, and Spark may encounter these as well. Comes with the territory.

I still get the itch and occasional requests to fire the shop back up, but have it way too easy now. You would not believe the contract I have right now, and that's until I decide to retire.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Big change. - 12/05/15 02:27 AM
Thanks guys, very curious feeling for sure. The shop has been a part of my life for some time, I guess it will take a little time to adjust.

One thing I've already figured out, when we move I'm sure going to miss the place. Now that I'm not using it to make a living I can use it for all my personal projects. And this past week has been amazing. Before, I just wanted to leave at the end of the day, now I'm anxious to get out there and start fabricating. Didn't realize I missed the metal fab that much!
Posted By: JKB Re: Big change. - 12/05/15 03:15 AM
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Thanks guys, very curious feeling for sure. The shop has been a part of my life for some time, I guess it will take a little time to adjust.

One thing I've already figured out, when we move I'm sure going to miss the place. Now that I'm not using it to make a living I can use it for all my personal projects. And this past week has been amazing. Before, I just wanted to leave at the end of the day, now I'm anxious to get out there and start fabricating. Didn't realize I missed the metal fab that much!

Yeah Spark, now you can have fun with the place.

Posted By: canyoncreek Re: Big change. - 12/05/15 03:42 AM
Spark, If you care to share, I'd love to see a fold out barstool. Never saw anything like that before!
Posted By: highflyer Re: Big change. - 12/05/15 04:35 AM
Tony,

We all have changes in our careers, some are our choice and some are not. This one is your choice and I think you are going to look back fondly, especially since you can always go back and do projects on your timeline. I can't wait to see what you come up with!!!

Best of luck and show them professionalism!!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Big change. - 12/05/15 06:53 AM
Congrats T, all signs pointed to this direction for you, and it sounds like you're eager and at peace with the decision - full steam ahead!
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Big change. - 12/05/15 01:44 PM
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
Spark, If you care to share, I'd love to see a fold out barstool. Never saw anything like that before!

They were used in commercial lunchrooms back in the 50's. There are different designs, and all of them bring big money from places that salvage industrial pieces. My wife liked the idea, so she drew up what she had in mind and now it falls to me to build It, and incorporate it into the island.

http://www.urbanremainschicago.com/products/furniture/swing-out-seating.html
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: Big change. - 12/05/15 01:53 PM
Congratulations, Tony! Exciting times ahead, I'm sure!

And even though there's the satisfaction of doing things for others, there's that renewed sense (and motivation) in the shop of "now I can do it for me" (without seeing customers' projects scattered about!).

Merry Christmas!
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Big change. - 01/09/16 01:07 AM
Very busy this week, just a note to let everyone know I survived my first week of apprenticeship, and I still have all my extremities. Very intense experience, truly a week I will never forget. I believe the things I've seen and done over the last five days will stay with me forever. From riding the cartop to the top of the hoistway, to crouching down in the pit while the car descended towards me, all the while listening to my journeyman (in the pit with me), telling me to remain calm, stay still, and I would be fine.

I was leaning forward on my knees, and the bottom of the car came to within 4-5 inches of my head. I know my breathing stopped, pretty sure my heart did also.

Very fortunate to be assigned to a fantastic journeyman. A young man, extremely bright and very patient with me. Which is good as I'm completely lost most of the time, and screw up a lot. Amazing, fascinating, intimidating, and somewhat terrifying vocation. Very thankful for the opportunity.
Posted By: mnfish Re: Big change. - 01/09/16 01:11 AM
That sounds like an awesome week and scary as H*LL all at the same time!
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Big change. - 01/09/16 01:13 AM
Awesome Tony! Sounds like you're at the beginning of a great new life adventure. On day two, I would have bought a bunch of those adult diapers just in case.............For me that car coming down like that and there would be talk that night, "Hey, the new guy peed his pants!" smile
Posted By: JKB Re: Big change. - 01/09/16 04:31 AM
Sounds pretty cool Tony!

Initiation protocol to see what you are made of. Glad you got a guy that will work with you to show you the ropes.

That underbelly experience would give me the creeps tho!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Big change. - 01/09/16 05:20 AM
Crazy Tony - glad you made it through your first week! Hope you get some ice soon and can make time to get some fishing in.
Posted By: esshup Re: Big change. - 01/09/16 08:21 AM
Congrats Tony!! You survived, and it looks like you have a good teacher. You will pick up things fast.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Big change. - 01/09/16 11:50 AM
Tony, I was wondering how your first week went. Thanks for the update.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Big change. - 01/09/16 01:27 PM
Thanks all. A staggering amount of information to take in. Al, I thought of you a few times this week when we were running firefighter service tests, phase one and two.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Big change. - 01/09/16 01:35 PM
Sparkplug, I'm happy for u. I am not sure I would show your new employers your pic's of your fishing outfit this early in the game though. Good wishes

Tracy
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Big change. - 01/09/16 02:13 PM
Tony, I sure don't miss that stuff.

Elevators are remarkable engineering feats. In 31 years of elevator rescues I never saw one elevator crash to the ground. They all stopped quickly, and that's even the old ones that were for buildings 4 stories and less. It seemed like the worst scenario we usually had was when an elevator stopped between floors. Somebody would rappel or ladder down, and just pull the people out of the elevator car top hatch. That or just wait for the Otis guy to show up.

Maybe too many Bruce Willis movies, but elevators are a lot safer in emergencies than many people think.
Posted By: snrub Re: Big change. - 01/09/16 04:17 PM
Next step from here Tony.............. Ski Lifts!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Big change. - 01/09/16 10:18 PM
Rock on, Tony!!
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Big change. - 01/09/16 11:29 PM
sprkplug, life if full of different seasons. This is just the beginning of a new season for you. Enjoy the ride with no regrets.

Cheers Don.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Big change. - 01/10/16 01:44 AM
Thanks again everyone.

Al, you're right...after getting a glimpse into the various safety measures utilized on a passenger elevator, they are very safe indeed. True marvels of electrical and mechanical engineering, and all of the mechanics are top notch and take their responsibilities seriously.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Big change. - 01/21/16 10:39 PM
Looks like the last couple days has been a little tense here on the forum. Just adding something light hearted.

"So which relay did he tell me to manually pick up? One of these will make the car move up the hoistway, and another will reverse the polarity of the earth's magnetic field, ending all life as we know it"

Something like that, anyway.

Posted By: RAH Re: Big change. - 01/21/16 10:45 PM
Its all good.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Big change. - 01/21/16 10:57 PM
Dang Tony, looks challenging.
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: Big change. - 01/22/16 12:08 AM
And to think there are only a few select buttons we can push to go up or down!

There's a show on TV called "How things work" (or something like that) which gives such a new found appreciation, for so much so many take for granted.

One can never know too much, IMO.

I'll ditto Dave's understatement "looks challenging".

Good for you, Tony!
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Big change. - 01/22/16 12:27 AM
Looks like the last couple days has been a little tense here on the forum. Just adding something light hearted.

"So which relay did he tell me to manually pick up? One of these will make the car move up the hoistway, and another will reverse the polarity of the earth's magnetic field, ending all life as we know it"

So the time tested engineering method of "Trial and Error" is not an option???? That's when I would tell the new guy to do it and I'd go for coffee...Oh, wait a minute you're the new guy! Not that I'm worried but...in the words of that famous detective, Dirty Harry, "Are ya feeling lucky?" grin
Posted By: stickem' Re: Big change. - 01/22/16 01:02 AM
Tony,
Somehow, I missed this thread. When we pm'ed the other night, I had no idea the undertaking that you have shouldered. I respect the hell out of your decision to do what you are doing. It takes some pretty substantial huevos to make a life change like you have. Congrats...my hats off to you. I ride those vertical behemoths 4-5 days a week in downtown Houston. Wish I knew what I wanted to do when I grow up.....and I'm 58.
Charlie
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Big change. - 01/22/16 01:51 AM
Appreciate that, Charlie. All is well, learning something new every day.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Big change. - 01/22/16 04:24 AM

Look at all those doo-hickies!
Posted By: esshup Re: Big change. - 01/22/16 04:44 AM
Tony, just lick your finger and keep poking 'till you find the one that isn't working.....
Posted By: mnfish Re: Big change. - 01/22/16 05:43 AM
Cool stuff sprkplug! That is intimidating as all get out. Being an engineer my only advice....keep the engineers away and for gosh sake don't let them pick up any tools! eek grin
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Big change. - 01/22/16 07:00 AM
Yo MN, how's ice fishing for your crappie? Haven't heard from you in a coon's age!
Posted By: Zep Re: Big change. - 01/22/16 12:06 PM

that's a neat site sprk...lots of cool stuff

glad your new endeavor is going well
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: Big change. - 01/22/16 01:38 PM

that's a neat site sprk...lots of cool stuff

sprk, love the look in that link. I imagine you probably improved on the design and made it yours? I'd love to see how your bar stools turned out when they are finished. Pics smile
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Big change. - 01/22/16 01:42 PM
Sparkie, I respect a guy who can do the things you can do. i look at the board u pictured and say WOW!! Me, I am useless unless it can be done with just a hammer. I told my wife, I don't do anything that requires more than a hammer, if you need more done call someone else. smile

Tracy
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Big change. - 01/22/16 02:06 PM
WOW!; $565 for a swing out seat.
Posted By: mnfish Re: Big change. - 01/22/16 03:02 PM
TJ-Haven't gone once this winter!

Been here from time to time just not a whole lot I can add so I haven't posted much.

Don't want to hijack (sorry Tony) but how's the fish business treating you? Doing any work in the Tundra of MN?
Posted By: Zep Re: Big change. - 01/22/16 03:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
WOW!; $565 for a swing out seat.

I know right...

this is a cool old gas/oil can:

UrbanRemainsChicago
Posted By: JKB Re: Big change. - 01/22/16 04:07 PM
Spark, what museum did that old antique panel come out of? wink

Nice and clean tho.

You should see some of the crap I gotta crawl in at times.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Big change. - 01/22/16 04:19 PM
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57

Look at all those doo-hickies!

I hate to correct you TJ but those are actually what-cha-ma-callits! Everybody knows that!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Big change. - 01/22/16 04:21 PM
If I was told to manage something like that, I'd just turn around at the door and go back to my coloring books. Only last year did I learn to stay within the lines. I am what I am.
Posted By: Bocomo Re: Big change. - 01/22/16 04:43 PM
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
If I was told to manage something like that, I'd just turn around at the door and go back to my coloring books. Only last year did I learn to stay within the lines. I am what I am.

Want to hear something strange?

"Adult coloring books" are the best-selling books on Amazon right now. I didn't believe it until my wife showed me.
Posted By: Ben Adducchio Re: Big change. - 01/22/16 04:58 PM
Where is all the spark plugs in that thing??? Must be a diesel.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Big change. - 01/23/16 02:44 AM
JKB, those are old Otis controllers from the sixties. That's the cool part...I get to experience the relay logic stuff, and the latest and greatest static units. Many of the older units are scheduled for mod. I'll try and get a shot of a new unit, but have 40 hours of OSHA training next week, and Arc flash, confined space, and respirator after that.

Canyoncreek, I'm building our units from 3/8" plate, rather than castings. I hope they turn out okay, here's what I started with. I'll post a few more photos soon.

Posted By: Bill D. Re: Big change. - 01/23/16 03:14 AM
I took a ride or three on the 120+ year old Otis elevator #61 at the Del Coronado Hotel in San Diego a few years back. Still works great!....Kinda slow though smile Looks like your job is going to require knowledge from several eras. Awesome!

I'm thinking the pic you posted is way high tech compared to what's controlling old #61!...although it has been converted to electricity! smile

I met this guy.

http://archive.azcentral.com/travel/arti...l-coronado.html
Posted By: Turtlemtn Re: Big change. - 01/23/16 04:34 AM
Speaking of hotels and elevators, I've been to the Del Coronado a few times, but don't recall ever leaving the ground floor. I've also been to the LaBonte Hotel in Douglas, WY, which has (or at least had when I was there) the first elevator in the State. I didn't ride on that elevator either. The things a person doesn't think to do when they have the chance.
Posted By: esshup Re: Big change. - 01/23/16 04:26 PM
Bill D., did you meet the ghost there too? Hotel Del has a LOT of history!!
Posted By: esshup Re: Big change. - 01/23/16 04:28 PM
Tony:

Good job on the wrench! You cheated by using the spray Dykem tho..... Can and brush is the correct way.

wink grin
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Big change. - 01/23/16 05:15 PM
Bill, neat story. 2 apples per day.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Big change. - 01/23/16 06:00 PM
That IS the brush on!
Posted By: esshup Re: Big change. - 01/24/16 04:12 PM
You ARE good! grin It's so evenly applied that it looks like spray-on.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Big change. - 01/24/16 04:43 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
Bill D., did you meet the ghost there too? Hotel Del has a LOT of history!!

Sorry to say, I haven't had opportunity to meet the ghost but that would be way cool!

No doubt this is one very cool historical hotel. Lots of folks that aren't staying there still come just to check the place out. I recommend stopping by to anybody that will be in SD. smile
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Big change. - 01/24/16 05:38 PM

You mean I don't have to wet sand my layout dye in between coats?? whistle grin
Posted By: JKB Re: Big change. - 01/24/16 06:41 PM

You mean, you couldn't tell it was brush on??

I think he used too much tho wink smile
Posted By: JKB Re: Big change. - 01/24/16 06:42 PM

It's on HRS, you would need to wet sand that first. shocked
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Big change. - 01/24/16 10:34 PM

More like grind it flat....or at least something coarser than what I would typically wet sand with! laugh
Posted By: JKB Re: Big change. - 01/24/16 10:44 PM

More like grind it flat....or at least something coarser than what I would typically wet sand with! laugh

It's on HRS for crying out loud, just get the scale off of it!!!
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Big change. - 01/24/16 10:49 PM
OR.......add multiple coats of dye!!! grin I opted for the easy way! Can you see the scribe lines?? Good enough for the job at hand!
Posted By: JKB Re: Big change. - 01/24/16 11:03 PM
OR.......add multiple coats of dye!!! grin I opted for the easy way! Can you see the scribe lines?? Good enough for the job at hand!

Nice paint job tho!

Posted By: sprkplug Re: Big change. - 01/25/16 12:03 AM
With my eyes, I needed it! grin
Posted By: JKB Re: Big change. - 02/01/16 11:26 PM
JKB, those are old Otis controllers from the sixties. That's the cool part...I get to experience the relay logic stuff, and the latest and greatest static units. Many of the older units are scheduled for mod. I'll try and get a shot of a new unit, but have 40 hours of OSHA training next week, and Arc flash, confined space, and respirator after that.

Speaking of antique controls, here's something you don't see every day.

That's a rotary drum sequencer. Kinda like one of those old player pianos that plays the same song over and over, or if you ever had one of those crank type Jack In The Box... you get the idea.

This is on a Zinc plating line that's been running automotive parts forever.

Well, after 44 years of production, the big sequencer took a dump, and well, they don't make them any more.

If the budget get's approved, I'll be replacing that and all the relays with a PLC and HMI (Graphics Touch Screen).

Basically, this is set up to run the same sequence over and over, but with the touch of a button on the HMI, they can setup infinite sequences.

This has 10 stations on the line, so think of it as a 10 story horizontal elevator that has a sequence going up (left) and down (right).

For a panel built in 1972 and couple that with this is in a plating factory, it's pretty darn clean!!! (on the inside wink )
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Big change. - 02/02/16 01:45 AM
Pretty cool! I'm learning new respect for those folks who figured out how to do all this stuff in the era before solid state controls....bright minds!
Posted By: JKB Re: Big change. - 02/02/16 02:43 AM
Pretty cool! I'm learning new respect for those folks who figured out how to do all this stuff in the era before solid state controls....bright minds!

Yeah, the old relay logic is pretty neat, then Modicon had to ruin it by inventing the PLC. wink
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Big change. - 02/18/16 10:14 PM
Here you go, JKB. Finally got a shot of a newer controller. There's a few new installations going in right now, so I'll see what the current state of the art is, soon.

Posted By: JKB Re: Big change. - 02/19/16 12:13 AM
Went to MCE's website and downloaded/browsed thru the iControl manual... Sweet!!!

Latest update was July 2015 from the last in August 2008, so that would be their latest offering.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Big change. - 02/20/16 02:07 PM
Late model GAL controller.
Not as mechanically sexy as all those old style, clattering relays.

Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Big change. - 02/20/16 02:17 PM
Tony,

If the wife ever remembers to forward the link to me, she has a video of an old elevator in some old hotel in Germany that is a tourist attraction. It's unusual in that it never stops and keeps going up and down. You get on when the elevator lines up with your floor! Sounds dangerous!

Have you heard of it?
Posted By: JKB Re: Big change. - 02/20/16 02:44 PM
Quite interesting browsing thru the control manuals.

This one has an example of using 6 switches in binary code to determine which floor it is at for a 60 floor elevator. 2^6=64

Got the nod to upgrade the Zinc line. They use 6 limit switches in a similar fashion to determine which tank the hoist is over.

You gonna get into the control manuals at some time?

BTW, this has a sex appeal all it's own wink
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Big change. - 02/20/16 03:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Tony,

If the wife ever remembers to forward the link to me, she has a video of an old elevator in some old hotel in Germany that is a tourist attraction. It's unusual in that it never stops and keeps going up and down. You get on when the elevator lines up with your floor! Sounds dangerous!

Have you heard of it?

Cecil,

Do you mean like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro3Fc_yG3p0
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Big change. - 02/20/16 04:34 PM
Well, that's terrifying. No idea if it's hydraulic, traction, winding drum or what, but whichever it looks like a great way to reduce a human body to something akin to drywall compound.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Big change. - 02/20/16 04:54 PM
Well, that's terrifying. No idea if it's hydraulic, traction, winding drum or what, but whichever it looks like a great way to reduce a human body to something akin to drywall compound.

I don't know what the safeguards are but litigation is different in Germany. Typically you have to take responsibility for your actions there, and if you take a risk knowing the danger the property owner is not liable.

My German relatives can't believe that a burglar can sue here for injury, or some of the frivolous law suits we have here. It just doesn't fly with practical Germans.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Big change. - 02/20/16 04:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Tony,

Have you heard of it?

Cecil,

Do you mean like this?

I can't tell Bill. My computers are so antiquated that Utube no longer works on them!

Edit: I sent the wife the link and she says it is the same one. She also says there is one in Frankfort (not former East Germany) and one in the UK. She says if you're half coordinated it's no big deal.
Posted By: snrub Re: Big change. - 02/20/16 10:39 PM
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Tony,

Have you heard of it?

Cecil,

Do you mean like this?

Five people have died since 1970. If only we could say the same about auotmobiles. laugh

Something working in a similar manner but in much faster, smaller, more dangerous form were the man lifts used in grain elevators in the early 20th century. They consisted of a belt running around large pulleys much like what were used for bucket elevators to move the grain. But instead of buckets for handling grain there were a double sided step. One side of the belt was going up and the other down and at a speed considerably faster than is on the u-tube video. There was a hole in the floors big enough for a mans shoulders. Step on the up going side to go up a floor or three or four, Step on the down side to go down. Just the step and a hand hold.

Very much on the same principal as the paternoster in the video. Watched elevator operators step on and off that belt many times. Back when the Darwinian theory of evolution was still in practice for humans.
© Pond Boss Forum