Pond Boss
Here's some plants I set up in my raft tank aquaponics set up a couple of weeks ago. Tomatoes and peppers.

Water enters the raft tank via gravity via overflow from the biofilter, goes up one side of the divided tank to the end, cuts over, goes back down the other side, and exits and drops back into the fish tank. Water is moved by one 60 watt pump and air is supplied to the fish tank via a 60 lpm of air from a linear air pump.

The fish which are mostly tilapia with some female bluegill mixed in.

Nice start. Since you got a late start growing and to get good or better use of the plants before it gets cold use short maturity plants like lettuce, herbs (basil, dill, sage, etc), or maybe peppers?.
Neat operation Cecil.

I gave one of my IBC tank systems to my younger son this past spring. I got tilapia from Rex that I divided between my two ponds and the aquaponics tank.

The little 4'x4'x7" bed of small river rock produced beyond my expectations, and it is still producing. In that small space he had one each Early Girl, Big Boy, and Sweet 100 Cherry Tomato plant. He also had a California Wonder bell pepper and a jalapeno pepper plant. I'm not sure how many cucumber plants, but about 3-4. Everything produced like crazy -- they actually had more cucumbers than they knew what to do with. (I just finished fermenting and "putting up" up 8 of 10 gallons of cucumber pickles/relish/etc., from my garden - so I don't need any more!). Early in the season, while we were getting it setup, he harvested lettuce.

Early on, we had a few problems with fish mortality. I'm still not sure why. The water quality seemed to be very good. As far as I can tell, all of the small bluegill died. I think the fatheads got eaten by the bluegill before the bluegill disappeared. While this was happening, my son put in about a dozen $0.10 goldfish. A few died, but most have thrived. I don't know what my grand daughter will do with them when it comes time to shut down for the winter. The 2-3 inch tilapia are now 6-7 inches.

My son and 10 y.o., grand daughter are excited by the experience. My DIL has been happy to have fresh cucumbers, tomatoes and peppers. We learned a lot. Next year we will probably make the grow beds bigger.

Anyway, yours looks fantastic.

P.S. There was an article in this week's local newspaper about all of the aquaponics projects in our local area. The locals have been producing very significant quantities of good quality marijuana. shocked cool grin
Nice job and good pics as well !
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Nice start. Since you got a late start growing and to get good or better use of the plants before it gets cold use short maturity plants like lettuce, herbs (basil, dill, sage, etc), or maybe peppers?.

Ditto!

Except peppers may be a bit tricky this late without a greenhouse.

Hey Cecil,
Is that 60 watt pump one of the Easy Pro rigs? I'm thinking of a few of that brand to keep things rolling, along with O2 when the power fails. Much simpler and lower cost battery backup system then.

You're not kidding I got a late start! Just one of those things with so many other priorities.

Well some of them are peppers. However the raft tank is destined for a high school green house to hook up to an RAS I started for them a couple of years ago. I'll get it back when the school year ends in May.

Depending on how far along the plants are and what the teacher wants to do, we may just move the plants WITH the raft tank. I've got about 100 yellow perch YOY that will be in their tank this year. In the past it's been bluegills.
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
Neat operation Cecil.

I gave one of my IBC tank systems to my younger son this past spring. I got tilapia from Rex that I divided between my two ponds and the aquaponics tank.

The little 4'x4'x7" bed of small river rock produced beyond my expectations, and it is still producing. In that small space he had one each Early Girl, Big Boy, and Sweet 100 Cherry Tomato plant. He also had a California Wonder bell pepper and a jalapeno pepper plant. I'm not sure how many cucumber plants, but about 3-4. Everything produced like crazy -- they actually had more cucumbers than they knew what to do with. (I just finished fermenting and "putting up" up 8 of 10 gallons of cucumber pickles/relish/etc., from my garden - so I don't need any more!). Early in the season, while we were getting it setup, he harvested lettuce.

Early on, we had a few problems with fish mortality. I'm still not sure why. The water quality seemed to be very good. As far as I can tell, all of the small bluegill died. I think the fatheads got eaten by the bluegill before the bluegill disappeared. While this was happening, my son put in about a dozen $0.10 goldfish. A few died, but most have thrived. I don't know what my grand daughter will do with them when it comes time to shut down for the winter. The 2-3 inch tilapia are now 6-7 inches.

My son and 10 y.o., grand daughter are excited by the experience. My DIL has been happy to have fresh cucumbers, tomatoes and peppers. We learned a lot. Next year we will probably make the grow beds bigger.

P.S. There was an article in this week's local newspaper about all of the aquaponics projects in our local area. The locals have been producing very significant quantities of good quality marijuana. shocked cool grin

Ken,

Yours sounds cool. I've been following your media based system.

Actually pot growing aquaponic systems are also starting up in states where it's legal.
Originally Posted By: ewest
Nice job and good pics as well !

Thanks Eric.

Pilot system and I have learned a lot.
Originally Posted By: JKB

Ditto!

Hey Cecil,
Is that 60 watt pump one of the Easy Pro rigs? I'm thinking of a few of that brand to keep things rolling, along with O2 when the power fails. Much simpler and lower cost battery backup system then.

I've used Easy Pro mag drive pumps but anymore I'm buying my pumps on Ebay. Just bought two of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161085096761?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Just wish the good quality linear air pumps weren't so pricey. I have to buy three of them for the three high schools, as I need more air to run the moving bed filters and will be discontinuing the RBC's.
Neat operation Cecil.

catmandoo, do you have a link or the newspapers name the article is in? About the MaryJ, don't use it or need it. I have friends that use it sometimes (maybe more than I know about)but they say it helps with their illness..... Could be a placebo effect or maybe it really works. Don't know. But they own and operate very successful business's.

Aquaponics is the "new" hobby for a lot of people plus its a great education tool for people to learn a new way to grow food.
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

Ditto!

Hey Cecil,

I've used Easy Pro mag drive pumps but anymore I'm buying my pumps on Ebay. Just bought two of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161085096761?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Just wish the good quality linear air pumps weren't so pricey. I have to buy three of them for the three high schools, as I need more air to run the moving bed filters and will be discontinuing the RBC's.

Looking up this brand of pump, it's kinda difficult on which of the retailers to believe. Some say this, while others say that. MFG website is down, so can't get the scoop! It's like the Eco 7 pump out there. Can't get a straight answer on what this animal is, even from the MFG (importer)

I'll give SC a shot, they have been good to my family. Worst case scenario if this is a piece of crap is I'll drive around the river and plunk it onto Dave's desk.
Tell me about it. The MFG's can't even stay consistent on gph or gpm.

Hmmm... I bet the WV State Police would be interested in those aquaponics set ups.
Originally Posted By: hang_loose

catmandoo, do you have a link or the newspapers name the article is in? About the MaryJ, don't use it or need it. I have friends that use it sometimes (maybe more than I know about)but they say it helps with their illness..... Could be a placebo effect or maybe it really works. Don't know. But they own and operate very successful business's.

Aquaponics is the "new" hobby for a lot of people plus its a great education tool for people to learn a new way to grow food.

I cannot find the local articles I was referring to, but there has been a lot of reporting on this subject.

I certainly don't want to lead this thread towards such a controversial subject. In no way do I wish to jeopardize Pond Boss in such an issue.

There are many forums dedicated to this subject.
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003

Hmmm... I bet the WV State Police would be interested in those aquaponics set ups.

The articles I can't find were from Winchester TV Channel 3 and the Northern Virginia News from Front Royal -- both on the Virginia side of the border. Both were mostly about the very high number of local heroin deaths, with sub-articles about the thousands of MJ plants/grows that have been confiscated/busted.

That is not to say we don't have issues on the WV side. Like where I live, I have to cross the state line seven times to visit a friend's farm that is only five miles away.

Travis -- as I assume you are aware, the I-66 and I-81 intersection area is a very major drug distribution and gang headquarter stronghold.

Travis -- as I assume you are aware, the I-66 and I-81 intersection area is a very major drug distribution and gang headquarter stronghold.

Yes, MS-13 likes to go out there and play and leave dead bodies floating in rivers... I-81 is a large drug running route. These days, prescription drugs are becoming more prevalent in the abuse catagory. Oxycontin is commonly called hillbilly heroin.
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003

Yes, MS-13 likes to go out there and play and leave dead bodies floating in rivers... I-81 is a large drug running route. These days, prescription drugs are becoming more prevalent in the abuse catagory. Oxycontin is commonly called hillbilly heroin.

Cecil -- I apologize for hijacking your thread, especially over such a nasty topic.

Travis -- Apparently your colleagues have been fairly effective in cutting down on the availability of oxycotin. The articles I was looking for said that because of the shortage of oxycotin, we've had 44 local heroin overdose deaths so far this calendar year -- as opposed to only 13 for all of last year. Two were found dead from heroin overdoes late last week in Winchester.

Now, back to aquaponics relative to fish and edible vegetables, spices, and fruits ...

Cecil -- I apologize for hijacking your thread, especially over such a nasty topic.

No problem I've been known to hijack a few threads around here too. wink

Stay tuned for a picture of about 1500 to 2000 bluegill fingerlings in one of my RAS tanks my dad and I seined out of the bluegill production pond in the last two days. Can't find the camera this evening!

Probably another 5 to 10 thousand left in the pond but the weeds and algae took over the pond making it hard to get them all out, and I don't have room in the tank anyway.
Sorry here also Cecil... Now back to your system, some questions:

How deep are your tanks?

Length and width? I'm guessing 2' by 16' (per side).

Do you have some kind of bracing system around the tanks? (to keep water pressure from bowing it out)

How big are the tilapia?

Is the black tile just to hold the liner down?

One more thing, is that enough water movement to keep the fish tank fairly clean and nitrite levels down?
Sorry here also Cecil... Now back to your system, some questions:

How deep are your tanks?

Length and width? I'm guessing 2' by 16' (per side).

No reason to be sorry!

Sides and divider are 2 X 12's with the tank 8 feet long and 4 feet across.

Water depth is probably 9 inches or less due to the foam board and plastic culvert pipe that holds on the double layer of greenhouse plastic.

Do you have some kind of bracing system around the tanks? (to keep water pressure from bowing it out)

No need. Sides are all 8 feet long 2 X 12's with a 1/2 inch plywood bottom. There is also 2 X 6 ribbing under the plywood to support it. The water really isn't deep enough to produce much out pushing pressure.

How big are the tilapia?

About a pound and half or so. 11 to 14 inches. WAG.

Is the black tile just to hold the liner down?

Yes. It's black tile with a slit cut lengthwise that wedges the plastic down.

One more thing, is that enough water movement to keep the fish tank fairly clean and nitrite levels down?

Yes! The fish provide movement, and the center plume from the diffuser pushes water up and down toward the center drain. I once used a horizontal and vertical spray bar but have found in tanks this small it's not necessary. (4 to 5 feet in diameter).

A gate valve in line with the external stand pipe is pulled a 2 times a day to flush solids near the drain and in the drain.

This waste water is used to water the conventional raised garden that is adjacent to the fish tank. Since the tank is so much higher than the raised garden, I can water the garden with it via gravity by opening the gate valve and directing a hose anywhere I want.

Same goes for water changes as there is not only an external stand pipe and drain line that comes from the center drain, but also a drain line from the clarifier tank.
About 1500 bluegills seined out of the bluegill production pond that last few days. These are in the basement.

There were many more times this left in the pond which has been drained and will be limed soon. Just don't have enough room for them all, and my operation isn't set up for retail fish sales. My goal is just to supply my needs and sell any extra.

Thanks for your reply Cecil...Great info! One more question, how big are your raft tanks? My bad for not making myself clearer on my first question.
What are you feeding your bluegill fry? are they big enough to eat powder/crumb commercial feed, yet?

brian
Thanks for your reply Cecil...Great info! One more question, how big are your raft tanks? My bad for not making myself clearer on my first question.

Sides and divider are 2 X 12's with the tank 8 feet long and 4 feet across.
Originally Posted By: bcotton
What are you feeding your bluegill fry? are they big enough to eat powder/crumb commercial feed, yet?

brian

I'm feeding them Aquamax 5D03 I have left over from feeding my yellow perch fingerlings, which have moved up to 5D04. However, I'm crushing it as some of these fish would probably be better off with 5D02. I'm not buying a $52.00 bag of 5D02 when they will be big enough for the 5D03 very soon.

Yes, they are big enough for commercial feed and past the powder size feed stage. Smallest about an inch, which is big enough for commercial feed.
BTW these are the cat's meow when it comes to drains for small fish. The slots are between 1/16th and 1/8th inch. Slots are more resistant to clogging than holes and you need that with the frequent feeding of fish fry and fingerlings that produce a lot of waste. I use shower drains for larger fish.

They're PVC ventguards that I got from Menards. As you can see they come in different sizes. I think there is also a 4 inch. I use 3 inch PVC for all my tank drains so I use the 3 inch size.

Update:

The tomato plants are growing rapidly and have extensive root development except for a couple of plants. I'm hoping at least some of these will end up in a state of the art high school greenhouse, but it's up to the teacher. The raft tank will be going there for sure.

Cecil -- that is actually kind of humorous in a strange way.

The IBC tank setup, that I gave to my son this past spring, was wildly successful this summer -- particularly for cucumbers and tomatoes. In mid-August he called to ask if I could identify what he thought was some kind of algae or fungus spreading on top of his growing medium. When I stopped by and looked at it with my own eyes, I realized it was mostly tomato plant roots. His siphon was set about a half-inch too high, and these were roots growing on top of the wet media.

Anyway, we are about to put a bunch of fall plantings in his aquaponics setup and Into my conventional garden which is watered from my lowest pond using sprinklers that are fed from a 2-inch trash pump.

I've got loTs of plants to go in this week.

Please forgive my spelling,etc. I'm traveling and only have a cell phone that has a mind of its own concerning spelling and grammar.

Ken
What are those little pots or whatever you have your plants in?

They're called net pots and come in different sizes. You can get them on Ebay. I think they originated with hydroponics. They hold media and the seedling to allow the root system to get going.

I was told to use a 70/30 ratio of coco coir and vermiculite in them, which was a mistake once they were moved to the raft. The movement of the water from the diffusers under the plants causes much of it to wash away. I had to repack and add coffee filters in the bottom of the net pots to keep it from washing away. I will use gravel next time or I will use cheese cloth around the coco coir/vermiculite.
Cecil -- that is actually kind of humorous in a strange way.

The IBC tank setup, that I gave to my son this past spring, was wildly successful this summer -- particularly for cucumbers and tomatoes. In mid-August he called to ask if I could identify what he thought was some kind of algae or fungus spreading on top of his growing medium. When I stopped by and looked at it with my own eyes, I realized it was mostly tomato plant roots. His siphon was set about a half-inch too high, and these were roots growing on top of the wet media.

Anyway, we are about to put a bunch of fall plantings in his aquaponics setup and Into my conventional garden which is watered from my lowest pond using sprinklers that are fed from a 2-inch trash pump.

I've got loTs of plants to go in this week.

Please forgive my spelling,etc. I'm traveling and only have a cell phone that has a mind of its own concerning spelling and grammar.

Ken

Cool! I can relate to the spelling thing when I used an Ipad.

They're called net pots and come in different sizes. You can get them on Ebay. I think they originated with hydroponics. They hold media and the seedling to allow the root system to get going.

I was told to use a 70/30 ratio of coco coir and vermiculite in them, which was a mistake once they were moved to the raft. The movement of the water from the diffusers under the plants causes much of it to wash away. I had to repack and add coffee filters in the bottom of the net pots to keep it from washing away. I will use gravel next time or I will use cheese cloth around the coco coir/vermiculite.

Didn't know if you were using the real thing or picked something up from Menards wink

I would think that small pea gravel would do the trick.

Aquaponics supplies are on the expensive side tho.
Actually these were really cheap and I've found anything I need on Ebay. Now if I was doing the media method I'd prefer the hydroton over gravel but that stuff is not cheap!

I prefer the raft culture as there's no tedious cleaning of the media and it's a safety net for the fish as you add a lot of surface area for nitrifying bacteria on the raft tank walls and roots. A 60 watt pump runs the whole system and I could add a 100 feet and still use the one pump.

What's really cool is the iron in the water which is a unsightly in plain aquaculture is needed for the plants and a plus in aquaponics. Additionally the hard water has lots of minerals the plants use too.

I do have to use some muriatic acid to bring the Ph down to about 7.0, but that's a plus to as it reduces the amount of unionized ammonia.
Excellent new info Cecil.....Thank you!
Cecil,

Do you plan to add a potassium and phosphorous supplement for when the tomatoes start to bloom?

brian
I don't think I need to. My potassium seems pretty high naturally in the water and I'm thinking the heavy feeding by the tilapia should provide enough phosphorus?
You gong to cover them tomorrow and Saturday night? Or do ou think that they are close enough to the house so that a possible cold snap won't hurt them.

I know that they are calling for a low Fri night of 39°f, but that's in South Bend proper at the airport. I don't know what's projected for low areas in the country.
Yeah I'll put up a quick rib frame with furring strips and throw some plastic over it.

Sure wish I could have started them earlier but it wasn't to be.

Timing hasn't worked out on anything for me this year. Been a year of delays and setbacks, and it's going to get much worse.

Kinda sucks!!!

Timing hasn't worked out on anything for me this year. Been a year of delays and setbacks, and it's going to get much worse.

Kinda sucks!!!

Such is life. My problem is primarily cash flow. Lots of ideas, possible inventions, etc. The catch 22 is when I'm tinkering I'm not doing taxidermy so I'm not making income! Got to find a happy medium for both!

I hope to bring the tomatoes indoors before it's too late. High school teacher doesn't sound receptive to taking them there (the greenhouse) as she's concerned about bringing in spider mites. Says once they come in they are really hard to get rid of.

However this means I'll have to build a smaller raft tank and invest in lights! Blue for fruiting plants!
Update with before and after pictures:

August 25: side view

September 7th: looking down from the deck

October 7th: side view.

October 7th: looking down from deck

My parents whom are conventional earth gardeners keep telling me I need to thin the plants out but I keep telling them it's O.K. with aquaponics as the plants don't have to compete for nutrients. grin

Half of these plants will be coming inside in the next day or two and a raft tank half the size of this one will be hooked up to my yellow perch tank in the basement. The above raft tank will go to a local high school where I have an recirculating system set up and will be making modifications. I'll get the raft tank back when school ends in May and put the two together and have a 12 X 4 foot raft tank. Or I may just leave it there and build another one.

No tomatoes yet due to the late start but lots of blooms. I will have a High Pressure Sodium light over them to keep them going. Not cost effective at 400 watts but I don't want to just trash the plants, and they will add a tremendous amount of biofiltration for the fish.

Looks great, how are the root balls doing? Do you just have one air stone per side?

Rob C
Hey Guys, I want to jump in here on the Aquaponics. I will be retiring in about 1.5 to 2 yrs. I want to have raised bed intensive(4X8 plywood) stuff,using my own 3 part mulch mix, bla bla bla. I wanted to water the Aquaponics with my pond water and use the gardens as a filter to take the nutrients from the pond with water return to the pond cleaner than when it was pulled out of course and the water provide nutrients. I do not want to high-jack either,but I looked at the pics and it begs a question or two since I have ZERO experience with Aquaponics,except for the ride at Disney Land.

Are the plants and beds actually setting on top of the fish tank that you said was made with the 2x12's? Does the water run under the foam and across under the roots or does the water run across the top of the foam and trickle through the cups and into the fish tank? Is the water clean enough with one pass to go back into the pond or do you cycle it many times until it is clear and then make a water transfer?

I want to focus on a fish tank like you have but it would be greatly appreciated if you could give more details as to how you built it. If I got it right, basically you have a plywood base(braced), 2"x 12" for side frames to support the plastic and hold the Aquaponics unit? Yes/NO.

If I got it right, then what in the way of water flow (GPM) would be good for the plants.

Is there a book you would recommend, or it that just unnecessary. Any book I would want, would need to be focused on using pond water(to clean up the water)for the plant growth and the clean water back to the pond which hopefully would reduce needed chemicals etc to control algae and the like.

The water I would try to pull out of the pond would be around the feeding areas for the most part.

On the aerated fry bucket, I too want to have my own forage for my CNBG and LMB, FH for the most part. I am curious how big or in another way how small x deep of a hole could I effectively raise FH minnows to produce say 50 to 70 # of minnows a year using the out flow of water from the Aquaponics garden?

All that said, could I have any effective impact on nutrient load with this system in a 1 acre pond with fed fish? Sorry for the High jack and thanks for the great info, pics and hope I will get there too.
Originally Posted By: fishtruck
Looks great, how are the root balls doing? Do you just have one air stone per side?

Rob C

Roots are massive and there are two air stones per side. From the literature I read there should be one every four feet.
Originally Posted By: mpc
Hey Guys, I want to jump in here on the Aquaponics. I will be retiring in about 1.5 to 2 yrs. I want to have raised bed intensive(4X8 plywood) stuff,using my own 3 part mulch mix, bla bla bla. I wanted to water the Aquaponics with my pond water and use the gardens as a filter to take the nutrients from the pond with water return to the pond cleaner than when it was pulled out of course and the water provide nutrients. I do not want to high-jack either,but I looked at the pics and it begs a question or two since I have ZERO experience with Aquaponics,except for the ride at Disney Land.

Are the plants and beds actually setting on top of the fish tank that you said was made with the 2x12's? Does the water run under the foam and across under the roots or does the water run across the top of the foam and trickle through the cups and into the fish tank? Is the water clean enough with one pass to go back into the pond or do you cycle it many times until it is clear and then make a water transfer?

I want to focus on a fish tank like you have but it would be greatly appreciated if you could give more details as to how you built it. If I got it right, basically you have a plywood base(braced), 2"x 12" for side frames to support the plastic and hold the Aquaponics unit? Yes/NO.

If I got it right, then what in the way of water flow (GPM) would be good for the plants.

Is there a book you would recommend, or it that just unnecessary. Any book I would want, would need to be focused on using pond water(to clean up the water)for the plant growth and the clean water back to the pond which hopefully would reduce needed chemicals etc to control algae and the like.

The water I would try to pull out of the pond would be around the feeding areas for the most part.

On the aerated fry bucket, I too want to have my own forage for my CNBG and LMB, FH for the most part. I am curious how big or in another way how small x deep of a hole could I effectively raise FH minnows to produce say 50 to 70 # of minnows a year using the out flow of water from the Aquaponics garden?

All that said, could I have any effective impact on nutrient load with this system in a 1 acre pond with fed fish? Sorry for the High jack and thanks for the great info, pics and hope I will get there too.

I'll respond to your questions MPC a little later. Lots of good questions but my lunch break is long past over. In the meantime there are folks on here with more experience than myself.

There's also a website called Aquaponics Nation that is really good. Yours truly is a mod there so if you decide to join us be a good boy. wink

http://aquaponicsnation.com/forums/

I'll respond to your questions MPC a little later. Lots of good questions but my lunch break is long past over. In the meantime there are folks on here with more experience than myself.

There's also a website called Aquaponics Nation that is really good. Yours truly is a mod there so if you decide to join us be a good boy. wink

http://aquaponicsnation.com/forums/

I also await the response. I was wondering the same thing while reading through from post 1.
Hey CB1 I signed up and have a new read. Found some good stuff already. I'll shut up here and just follow. I may have a Q or 2 on Aquaponicsnation after I read a while. Sorry if I asked to much here.

I hope drumz and I learn a lot about this subject.

Well first of all your pond water is great for watering a conventional garden but won't have the nutrients and nitrates in the densities you would need for aquaponics. You just don't have the density of fish in the pond to produce those that you do in a closed system, and if you did they would have some serious issues as the pond would not be able to keep up with the ammonia produced to have those elevated levels of nitrogen. Filamentous algae, phytoplankton, and macrophytes are all competing for those nutrients and nitrates in the pond.

Are the plants and beds actually setting on top of the fish tank that you said was made with the 2x12's? Does the water run under the foam and across under the roots or does the water run across the top of the foam and trickle through the cups and into the fish tank?

There are holes cut into the high density foam that is floating on top of the water in the raft tanks. The plants are in net pots that are inserted into the holes and the roots grow out of the net pots into the surrounding water.

Is the water clean enough with one pass to go back into the pond or do you cycle it many times until it is clear and then make a water transfer?

The water is cleaned mechanically with a barrel packed with garden netting which traps suspended solids that come into the bottom of the barrel via siphon. The water is cleaned biologically with a biofilter which changes ammonia produced by the fish to nitrites and then to nitrates. This barrel filled with plastic media that tumbles with air that is injected via the bottom of the barrel. The water goes in from the barrel that mechanically cleans the water through the side bottom of the bilfilter barrel.

A mature aquaponics system does not need a separate biofilter tank but it's not a bad idea to have one anyway in times of low plant density or starting up a system.

If the water was run into a pond and back again you would dilute the nitrates and other nutrients so much the plants in the system would suffer. You also run the risk of fueling algae and other plants in the pond as it doesn't take much to get them going.

The water in my system is gin clear.

The raft tank with the plants is NOT the fish tank. The fish tank is a separate circular tank complete with a center drain and external pipe to purge settleable solids twice a day.

The white tank in the background is the fish tank. It's under the tarp to keep rainwater from falling in that could leech arsenic from the deck wood. It also provides shade that keeps algae under control. Keep in mind the system is set so far off the ground to gravity flow waste water into an adjacent raised garden that is 15 inches off the ground. As long as your fish tank is lower than your raft tank you can gravity flow water back into your fish tank. At least that is the way I do it.

The raft tank is not braced. It's simply a 1/2 inch plywood base with 2 X 12's screwed to it around the perimeter and down the center to create two separate raceways. This is supprted by a framework of 2 X 6's under the raft tank. The raft tan is on attached to the framework but rests on top. As heavy as it is it's not going anywhere and this makes it easier to decommission or move in the winter.

It's lined with a double layer of greenhouse plastic. If you use greenhouse plastic be sure to scrub it with dishwater detergent and rinse. Then fill and let set for a day or two and drain. There is something used in manufacturing that keeps it from sticking to itself, which may be harmful to your system.

Another thing. You must provide aeration for the plants in the raft tank. I have a total of 4 small stones spaced 4 feet apart in the two raceways of the raft tank.

Water drops in on side of the tank via pvc piping and gravity from the biofilter tank, and goes to the end and crosses over. Then it comes back and dumps back in the fish tank via pvc piping and gravity.

I'm hearing a maximum of 60 to 90 minutes retention time in the raft tank. I'm flowing about 11 gpm into 32 cubic feet which is about 239 gallons. That comes out to about 22 minutes retention time.

Like I said using the pond would not be aquaponics and your nutrient and nitrate levels would not be high enough in the pond to support the plants in the raft tank.

There are three books I would recommend for aquaponics:

Aquaponic Gardening by Sylvia Bernstein

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Aquaponic Gardening by Meg Stout

Aquaponic Food Production Nelson and Pate

[quote=mpc]The water I would try to pull out of the pond would be around the feeding areas for the most part.

There is another thread on forage ponds but like I said aquaponics is not really an option with a pond.

No worries about questions and the answer to your question is above.

Hey CB1 I signed up and have a new read. Found some good stuff already. I'll shut up here and just follow. I may have a Q or 2 on Aquaponicsnation after I read a while. Sorry if I asked to much here.

I hope drumz and I learn a lot about this subject.

No need to "shut up." grin I enjoy sharing and I've been on the question end lots of times. Just pressed for time at times, but rest assured when I have breaks I'm happy to answer your questions.

Also keep in mind there are folks on here that know more than I do about aquaponics. I'm still learning!
Hey Cecil, I remember seeing your empty boxes when I picked ya up to go to Essups and thinking that you sure had a long way to go. Well you've gone and it sure looks great. Congrats and thanks for the fine documenting and pics. If ya get an extra day when ya come to Fl this spring maybe ya can stop over and do some Talapia fishin with me.
Hi CB1, Thanks for the update and it is all much clearer now. I hope that I will still try this system the way you have yours set up but with bait fish maybe. The pond water recycling was the dream idea and kill two birds with one stone approach. I did not know about others here on PB who utilize aquaponics but I will be looking for the info and on the other site as well. I have time before I start. Good fish growing to you.
Originally Posted By: Bob-O
Hey Cecil, I remember seeing your empty boxes when I picked ya up to go to Essups and thinking that you sure had a long way to go. Well you've gone and it sure looks great. Congrats and thanks for the fine documenting and pics. If ya get an extra day when ya come to Fl this spring maybe ya can stop over and do some Talapia fishin with me.

Sounds good to me Bob!
Hi CB1, Thanks for the update and it is all much clearer now. I hope that I will still try this system the way you have yours set up but with bait fish maybe. The pond water recycling was the dream idea and kill two birds with one stone approach. I did not know about others here on PB who utilize aquaponics but I will be looking for the info and on the other site as well. I have time before I start. Good fish growing to you.

No problem. Keep us posted.
Great thread Cecil! smile
Yeah Cecil, nice!

I was browsing the website you posted last night. Didn't that use to have a different name? Almost signed up!

Phil,

Yes it did. We had some problems with Google. Seems Google was putting us down the list because we didn't pay for something or other. I didn't really understand it. When you did a search for the original "Aquaculture Headquarters" you couldn't find it, or there were other sites with similar names. One of our members "Kellen" revamped the site and came up with a different name and it's better than ever.
Well the outside raft tank tomato plants and the tomatoes they started to produce are history. Too difficult to transplant inside due to massive roots all inter-twined, and the greenhouse plastic I used to line the inside tank let me down. I folded the plastic over three times to line the indoor tank. First the top layer balooned up. Then after the second layer ballooned I decided it was a no go. If the bottom layer of plastic leaked in the basement, while I was asleep, it would not only create a heck of a mess it would drain my fish tank. Not worth the risk.

The plan is to get a good epdm liner and use the inside tank this spring to get starter plants going for the outside system.

I'm actually kind of relieved I won't be burning up 400 watts for the hps lighting along with my 250 watt system heater.

I started too late in the year due to other priorities. Now that I have all the infrastructure it won't be a problem next year.

Live and learn!
At least you know everything works and you'll be ready for next season. Good job on the setup and filling us in!!

I'm actually interested in the PVC tube rigs. Seems like they would be easier to construct and work with, but may require more precise level control.

Years ago, I saw one big producer with a rig like this, and it seemed fairly simple. Can't remember the PVC tube sizes they used for various plants tho. Something to spend a day or two looking up.
When you say pvc tube rings i assume you mean the nutrient film technique (nft) which is used in hydroponics? If so square plastic fence posts work better according to one text I have. Or perhaps i hsve it all wrong as i'm most familiar with raft culture.

One down side to nft is your water has to be really clean of particulates or they clog. Was also told by Myles Harsten at our recent fall aquaculture conference to stay away from the verticle columns as they get clogged with roots.
No Cecil, it's an Aquaponics setup at a very large producer.

I'll have to draw a cartoon, but not now.

Is your iPad typing for you? I hate that, and won't use any mobile devices for these purposes.
I'm on the regular puter now. Ipad is slow and annoying as you say.
I think your right on the NFT system Cecil.

I was browsing around this morning and that's what the consensus was. The producer I remember was growing herbs and such, which makes sense now. That's what I primarily would like anyway.

It appears that the rectangular trough systems are a new standard which allows for plants with much larger root systems.

I just think they look neat and clean looking. That's all.

My memory is getting sluggish laugh
Phil,

Yes it did. We had some problems with Google. Seems Google was putting us down the list because we didn't pay for something or other. I didn't really understand it. When you did a search for the original "Aquaculture Headquarters" you couldn't find it, or there were other sites with similar names. One of our members "Kellen" revamped the site and came up with a different name and it's better than ever.

That's me (Kellen)! smile
Where in the heck have you been? I think you owe us all an explanation, with photos. I'm waiting....

Good to hear from you amigo.
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Where in the heck have you been? I think you owe us all an explanation, with photos. I'm waiting....

Thanks bud!

Well... Where should I begin? hehe....

I have been checking in from time to time, but obviously haven't posted much. Jeesh... I just looked back at my post history, and other than a couple of posts here and there, it's been about two years since I've posted regularly on the forum. A big part of the reason for the initial drop off two years ago was due to all the things I had going on that I briefly wrote about here http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=20713&Number=265256#Post265256.

Since that post, the healthcare business continued to grow steadily, and the tilapia hatchery expanded a great deal as well. The new home at the pond was finished (we love it), and as expected, my twin boys, now almost 3, quickly set out on their mission to destroy it. I kid, I kid. smile Everything was good... very, very busy... but good.

Then everything just came to an abrupt stop around New Years of this year. One of my favorite fishing buddies, my 17 year old nephew, passed away. Many of the pictures I've posted here on PB in the past feature him proudly holding any number of prize catches from the pond... A pond he also helped me manage, and where he planned to live soon too (on the other side of the pond), with his mother (my sister) and twin brother. I was devastated by his passing. Still now, not a day, maybe not an hour, goes by without me thinking about him. I don't think that will ever change. I sure do miss him. With a lot of help from very dear friends, we were able to keep things going, and I'll be forever in debt to them.

All things considered, things are going pretty well these days. In addition to all the usual projects, business endeavors and family obligations, I recently took on the day to day management of AquaponicsNation.com (formerly AquaponicsHQ.com) from Gary Donaldson. Gary was one of the early pioneers in the aquaponics field and built quite a community. He's quite a guy.

I haven't had much time to fish the pond, but the few times I have, I've done really well. I do really need to learn to slow down at some point, and take some time to enjoy the pond. hehe...

Some things that some of my fellow Pond Meisters might like... I'm planning to build several small recirculating breeding ponds in the Spring. I'll also be renovating a small pond (1/5 acre or so) soon at my parents' place. Going to do something "different" as far as stocking goes, but not entirely sure of the exact mix yet. I intend to post regular updates here as those projects progress. Should be interesting. smile

Hey Cecil, sorry for hijacking your thread man. Of course, that's pretty typical behavior for me, eh...

Wow! I feel like I must be moving in slow-mo. I just got back from a Nelson & Pade 3 day course on Aquaponics, and look forward to your posts Cecil! Now I have to look for more.

Rob C

Originally Posted By: Weissguy
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57

Thanks bud!

Well... Where should I begin? hehe....

I have been checking in from time to time, but obviously haven't posted much. Jeesh... I just looked back at my post history, and other than a couple of posts here and there, it's been about two years since I've posted regularly on the forum. A big part of the reason for the initial drop off two years ago was due to all the things I had going on that I briefly wrote about here http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=20713&Number=265256#Post265256.

Since that post, the healthcare business continued to grow steadily, and the tilapia hatchery expanded a great deal as well. The new home at the pond was finished (we love it), and as expected, my twin boys, now almost 3, quickly set out on their mission to destroy it. I kid, I kid. smile Everything was good... very, very busy... but good.

Then everything just came to an abrupt stop around New Years of this year. One of my favorite fishing buddies, my 17 year old nephew, passed away. Many of the pictures I've posted here on PB in the past feature him proudly holding any number of prize catches from the pond... A pond he also helped me manage, and where he planned to live soon too (on the other side of the pond), with his mother (my sister) and twin brother. I was devastated by his passing. Still now, not a day, maybe not an hour, goes by without me thinking about him. I don't think that will ever change. I sure do miss him. With a lot of help from very dear friends, we were able to keep things going, and I'll be forever in debt to them.

All things considered, things are going pretty well these days. In addition to all the usual projects, business endeavors and family obligations, I recently took on the day to day management of AquaponicsNation.com (formerly AquaponicsHQ.com) from Gary Donaldson. Gary was one of the early pioneers in the aquaponics field and built quite a community. He's quite a guy.

I haven't had much time to fish the pond, but the few times I have, I've done really well. I do really need to learn to slow down at some point, and take some time to enjoy this place. hehe...

Some things that some of my fellow Pond Meisters might like... I'm planning to build several small recirculating breeding ponds in the Spring. I'll also be renovating a small pond (1/5 acre or so) soon at my parents' place. Going to do something "different" as far as stocking goes, but not entirely sure of the exact mix yet. I intend to post regular updates here as those projects progress. Should be interesting. smile

Hey Cecil, sorry for hijacking your thread man. Of course, that's pretty typical behavior for me, eh...

Originally Posted By: Weissguy

No worries!
© Pond Boss Forum