Pond Boss
Posted By: JKB Goodby to... - 06/08/13 11:38 PM
... High Speed Internet.

I put in my cancellation for cable internet. They botched it and cancelled it a month too early. Said there was a 50.00 reconnect fee. I said, screw it!

Yeah, I am going thru withdrawal right now!

Hooked up to my AT&T phone on WiFi now.

Had to download a software update for Crimson 3. What's this 18 minute crap??? A file that size would only be a few seconds!

It ain't terribly bad, but takes some getting use to. It works much better in the boonies.

My internet life is slowing down tho.

Please,
As a common courtesy to me, do not post any photos or YouTube videos. I can count the pixels as the pictures load and cant understand the stuttering at all! laugh

Posted By: John Wann Re: Goodby to (HSI).... - 06/08/13 11:59 PM
Thanks for the info. I was thinking of going to AT&T Mobil share plan and tethering my iPad off iPhone. Think ill rethink that now. Wow I was going to call Monday too. Just had not ruled out dishnet 10 Mbps yet. I only get three if I'm lucky now from my DSL when it works.
Posted By: JKB Re: Goodby to (HSI).... - 06/09/13 12:29 AM
The AT&T works pretty decent, but not where I am at right now. It works on my Motorola Atrix.
My boss has an iPad and iPhone, and he say's it just don't work for beans.
(his 3rd or 4th wife wanted to be styling tho)

Location and elevation to the tower is key tho.

The best pull's I got off this thing was when I was WiFi'd to the control system on mad mouse. Just under 10.

Up in the boonies, it will pull 6-8 if I am under or south of the power line out front. A hundred feet north, and it drops like a rock.

I need to figure this out because I will be a permanent resident of the boonies soon.

Posted By: catmandoo Re: Goodby to (HSI).... - 06/09/13 01:01 AM
I got so fed up with my DSL being completely out or extremely slow for weeks at a time, and the landline phone being very expensive and out of service as often as being active, I went with everything-AT&T wireless last winter. So far, so good.

The home phone is just one more family "cell phone" on our account. The house phone lines connect to something that looks like a wireless router instead of connecting to a line from the pole. It has worked flawlessly since I brought it home and plugged it in several months ago. It is actually more convenient than our old landline which was very confusing to use for "local" calls. Living on the WV/VA border, certain Virginia calls didn't require the area code. Similarly, certain West Virginia calls didn't require the area code. Calls to other West Virginia numbers sometimes required just the area code, while others required a "1" in front of the area code. Now we can just use the area code and number for all calls.

My 4G Internet wireless router is fast. We use it with our tablets, computers, and phones. The only drawback is that we are limited to 10 GB per month. Going over the limit costs $10/GB.

The home phone modem/router and the Internet router both have external antenna connections. The home phone box had good signal coverage. The Internet was somewhat low so I added an external antenna which brought the signal levels up considerably.
Posted By: JKB Re: Goodby to... - 06/09/13 01:09 AM
Man, this thing is like milking the dog!

They are bouncing me from about your area Ken.

Guess I can blink now laugh

Photobucket works well!
Posted By: esshup Re: Goodby to... - 06/09/13 01:43 AM
JKB:

I just did mine. 23.65 up 1.89 down. Mediacom cable.
Posted By: JKB Re: Goodby to... - 06/09/13 02:26 AM
Originally Posted By: esshup
JKB:

I just did mine. 23.65 up 1.89 down. Mediacom cable.

That's pretty decent!

They don't have cable where I am heading to, but that 23.65 is chump change from where I am leaving. I would seriously gripe if it didn't blow around 50/5.

Maybe I can postpone Laser Eye Surgery now that things are not moving so fast laugh

Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Goodby to... - 06/09/13 03:43 AM
Waaa life is rough.. My Internet blows all the time, period
Posted By: JKB Re: Goodby to... - 06/09/13 03:49 AM
Originally Posted By: Bluegillerkiller
Waaa life is rough.. My Internet blows all the time, period

Yeah, Right wink
Posted By: esshup Re: Goodby to... - 06/09/13 04:19 AM
laugh

BGK, I feel for ya. When I was bouncing back and forth between Chicago and here I used Virgin Mobile. Forget about viewing any pictures. Open a thread, go get something to drink and it might be open when I sat back down.
Posted By: jludwig Re: Goodby to... - 06/09/13 05:24 AM
Just did mine. Download of 3.01 mbps and upload of .61 mbps. It would be interesting to compare to my internet at my college town.
Posted By: JKB Re: Goodby to... - 06/09/13 01:36 PM
I plugged in my Virgin mobile gizmo, but it wont go. I have money in my account and a top up card in my truck. Haven't used it in well over a year now and bought the card about the same time. I wonder if it is any good now. Sure would suck to have to go back to that tho. Like esshup said, forget trying to open a thread with pictures.
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Goodby to... - 06/09/13 01:44 PM
Mine is running good right now..

Posted By: JKB Re: Goodby to... - 06/09/13 01:54 PM
BGK,
Not even close to that this morning.

I opened Keith's Aquaponic thread. Yikes!!! Pics loaded really slow!

Ken, what did you get for an antenna?

My Nexus 7 really kicks some butt on this rig. Keith's thread opens really quick.

Really strange tho. On my laptop they rout me thru Reston, VA and on my Nexus 7, they are bouncing me out of Flint, MI.

Side by side, my laptop is just under 2 and my Nexus 7 is just over 5.

Strange!
Posted By: esshup Re: Goodby to... - 06/09/13 03:31 PM
tried it again just now.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Goodby to... - 06/09/13 03:40 PM

My home phone/internet (Charter cable) spiked at 75mbs when first starting...we are supposedly throttled at 30mbs download...5mbs upload

Verizon Wireless on an HTC DNA Droid 4G LTE...Ping, 60ms...download, 48124kbps...upload, 4230kbps
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Goodby to... - 06/09/13 05:03 PM
Like I said this is a good day.. If its cloudy I'm screwed I have to run wifi off my local satellite Internet service.. I'm looking into Hughes net GEN4 suppose to be awesome at 10mbs lol
Posted By: JKB Re: Goodby to... - 06/09/13 05:14 PM
I feel so alone and inadequate now frown laugh
Kinda like internet speed impotence. That dial just don't go higher that 3 laugh

They cancelled my Virgin account because I haven't used it for over a year. My question is, what happened to the 20 bucks that was still in my account?

Not a chance they'll bring anything faster up to my place. Just have to live with it.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Goodby to... - 06/09/13 05:29 PM
Geez.....why do you guys need such a fast connection anyway? Are you remote piloting drones over the internet or something?? grin I've never checked the speed of my Verizon wireless connection, but If I have time to go to the bathroom before a picture heavy thread opens, then I just consider that a plus for me.....

you must learn the art of patience, grasshoppers....... wink
Posted By: JKB Re: Goodby to... - 06/09/13 06:03 PM
Yeah, it's gonna take some patience.

For about the first 7 years of having internet, I never had it at home. It was a work tool, and that was what it was used for.

It's just a crazy addiction now. Something to do while living in the city. Probably won't see much of me after I hit the road and get back to where I should be. Dang detours anyway!
Posted By: lassig Re: Goodby to... - 06/09/13 07:17 PM
Like I said this is a good day.. If its cloudy I'm screwed I have to run wifi off my local satellite Internet service.. I'm looking into Hughes net GEN4 suppose to be awesome at 10mbs lol

Been on Hughes Net GEN4 for 2 weeks, far superior to anything else I can get this remote. Averages 7-9M down, 300K up with 700ms delay. Considering no wires here and the Verizon 3G isnt working for crap any more (what I had but was always on 1X). This is a huge improvement.
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Goodby to... - 06/09/13 07:30 PM
Yep Gen4 is what I'm gonna get they got a deal going now.. JKB you should check that out
Posted By: JKB Re: Goodby to... - 06/09/13 08:26 PM
Yep Gen4 is what I'm gonna get they got a deal going now.. JKB you should check that out

My sister has Hughes, which is next door by about 300 yds, and it don't work very well. We are in an internet black hole!

Heck, we had a local ISP come in and rig up their antennas and such. I could see the tower from the ground and they shoved the receiver way up on top of a pine tree so it was line of sight. Never worked, and they could not figure out why. They thoroughly went thru things, replaced equipment and were completely baffled by this not working. Others in the area, it works great! Cost us a pile to be guinea pigs!

Only thing I know that actually works up there is AT&T. If I have to shove a repeater up in the air, that would be OK.
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Goodby to... - 06/09/13 09:11 PM
This is suppose to be alot better than te original Hughes net.. And unless you live in a cave you should be able to recieve a satellite signal.. Original Hughes net sucked and if this is the same I won't have it long.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Goodby to... - 06/09/13 09:41 PM
We don't have home phone, high speed Internet, or cable TV at home.... We just plug in our phone to the computer when we want Internet. TV we don't watch at home either.
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Goodby to... - 06/09/13 10:02 PM
That's not even an option in this area N8 I can't hardly make a cell phone call from most parts of my house I have to use my phone Internet on wifi.. I wish I had more options but I'm just limited
Posted By: Dustin Pratt Re: Goodby to... - 06/10/13 03:18 AM
the fastest speed in my neck of the woods is 3 megabit connection.. that consistently goes 1.5... but much better than my original 1.44 kbs bod modem connecting to local BBS on a 14 inch monochromic monitor.. oh yah, and 8086 computer with 20 megabite harddrive yikes..
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Goodby to... - 06/10/13 03:25 AM
From what little I've heard Hughes net GEN4 is available anywhere and it's running 10 meg? I plan on jumping on it soon so ill let you guys know..
Posted By: JKB Re: Goodby to... - 06/10/13 03:34 AM
From what little I've heard Hughes net GEN4 is available anywhere and it's running 10 meg? I plan on jumping on it soon so ill let you guys know..

I just checked. Hughes GEN4 is not available in my area. They only have one satellite with this capability.
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Goodby to... - 06/10/13 03:50 AM
Ohh that's not good, prolly not available here too dammmit..
Posted By: esshup Re: Goodby to... - 06/10/13 03:51 AM

Read the fine print. I'll bet it says "can run up to 10 meg". Ask them what the average speeds are in your area.
Posted By: JKB Re: Goodby to... - 06/10/13 03:55 AM
They said up to 15 meg.

Our county is expanding their wireless program. Looks like I am in their coverage area. I'll check it out, but the higher speeds require line of sight and we got a bunch of trees.
Posted By: esshup Re: Goodby to... - 06/10/13 03:58 AM
Originally Posted By: JKB
They said up to 15 meg.

Our county is expanding their wireless program. Looks like I am in their coverage area. I'll check it out, but the higher speeds require line of sight and we got a bunch of trees.

You own a chainsaw, right? wink
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Goodby to... - 06/10/13 04:01 AM
That's what I'm on now JKB, sucks when the leafs are on..

Looks like I'm in the coverage area need to make some calls tomorrow..

Esshup Of course they say that in the fine print all of them do..

Posted By: JKB Re: Goodby to... - 06/10/13 04:19 AM
They said up to 15 meg.

You own a chainsaw, right? wink

I don't think anyone would be too happy if I cut the forest down.
Posted By: JKB Re: Goodby to... - 06/10/13 04:28 AM
That's what I'm on now JKB, sucks when the leafs are on..

Looks like I'm in the coverage area need to make some calls tomorrow..

Esshup Of course they say that in the fine print all of them do..

I typed my address in and here is what they said:
HughesNet Gen4 Power plans are not yet available in your geographical area; however, whether you're a casual browser or like to watch streaming video clips, there's a plan for you. Choose from these options.
Posted By: JKB Re: Goodby to... - 06/10/13 04:51 AM
Wildblue has coverage in my area, "up to" 12mbps.

I looked into this a number of years ago and the rep said they sold all their bandwidth. They have new stuff now.
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Goodby to... - 06/10/13 05:03 AM
Wild blue sucks around here I know that..
Posted By: lassig Re: Goodby to... - 06/10/13 10:49 AM
This is suppose to be alot better than te original Hughes net.. And unless you live in a cave you should be able to recieve a satellite signal.. Original Hughes net sucked and if this is the same I won't have it long.

GEN4 two weeks and counting and working good. It took me two years to make this decision since the last couple of generations of Sat internet did suck and I didn't want to be stuck with that.
Posted By: lassig Re: Goodby to... - 06/10/13 10:51 AM
That's not even an option in this area N8 I can't hardly make a cell phone call from most parts of my house I have to use my phone Internet on wifi.. I wish I had more options but I'm just limited

I should be able to correct the cellphone reception at your house, if you have reasonable line of site to the closest tower. It isn't cheap but you can use the cell booster system that others on this site have mentioned. It is made by Wilson Electronics.
Posted By: lassig Re: Goodby to... - 06/10/13 10:54 AM
Ohh that's not good, prolly not available here too dammmit..

Should be available for you, it is for me and I am 120 - 150 miles NW of you. The sat dish points to the SW so you need a clear line of site to the SW.
Posted By: lassig Re: Goodby to... - 06/10/13 10:57 AM

Read the fine print. I'll bet it says "can run up to 10 meg". Ask them what the average speeds are in your area.

Scott,

All internet providers use the upto including the equipment providers to the service providers (some of the stories I could share would spin our head (maybe bore you to death))

I am seeing 7-9M downloads and can stream videos without interruption so that is a huge improvement over what I was getting. Of course it is sat so storms can take it out.
Posted By: esshup Re: Goodby to... - 06/10/13 02:45 PM
Do any of the companies offer a one month trial so if you aren't satisfied with their service you can ditch them without a penalty?
Posted By: lassig Re: Goodby to... - 06/10/13 05:38 PM
Hughes.net used too, not sure if they still do. Dish doesn't. Funny thing here is that Dish owns Hughes.
Posted By: JKB Re: Goodby to... - 06/10/13 09:06 PM
My sister had Hughes installed over a year ago. She did mention a trial period, but still would be out for installation and such.

I guess it works for them. They only had dial up before, which is free here.

When all else fails, you could always use dial up. That's a bunch of drinks and potty breaks tho:-)
Posted By: Cisco Re: Goodby to... - 06/11/13 07:06 PM
I have HughesNet at my place. It's works OK but I haven't actually checked the speeds but I will this weekend seing how I'll be in the house alot(100+ degrees). The problem with all satellites are the storms as usual.
Posted By: JKB Re: Goodby to... - 06/11/13 08:55 PM
I am getting use to just cruising around on forums and the net with my Nexus 7.

Don't get all that bandwidth robbing advertising as you do with a PC. Plus, lower electric usage.

Pic's and videos work great!

I have an Otter box, and it rigidly set's it at a great angle for viewing and typing.

Looking into a Nexus 10.
Posted By: jludwig Re: Goodby to... - 06/12/13 05:26 AM
I am getting use to just cruising around on forums and the net with my Nexus 7.

Don't get all that bandwidth robbing advertising as you do with a PC. Plus, lower electric usage.

Pic's and videos work great!

I have an Otter box, and it rigidly set's it at a great angle for viewing and typing.

Looking into a Nexus 10.

I love my nexus 10. Pm if you have direct questions.
Posted By: Beaver Boy Re: Goodby to... - 06/12/13 05:47 PM
I get a grade F? I wonder what grade I would have gotten in the winter when it was barely moving.

Posted By: JKB Re: Goodby to... - 06/22/13 12:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Beaver Boy
I get a grade F? I wonder what grade I would have gotten in the winter when it was barely moving.

Mine was much worse than that a couple days ago. 78k was the max.

Really smoking today at 7537k x 1452k 133 ping. Kinda surprising considering the heavy overcast conditions today. Gonna rain soon.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Goodby to... - 06/22/13 02:42 PM
Gauly Sarge, I kaint barely get but 3 stations on my AM Sylvania transistor out here in the metal pole barn !! PFC GP
Posted By: JKB Re: Goodby to... - 07/12/13 12:13 AM
Getting use to the slower speeds now. My eyes are catching up, and I seriously haven't had an eye strain headache since!
© Pond Boss Forum