Pond Boss
Posted By: hang_loose Indian Artifacts??? - 04/07/13 08:08 AM
Anybody find any arrowheads or anything related? We have found a couple little arrowheads (approx 1/2") where the overflow tile of our pond goes into the creek.

My sister found a "birdstone" that collectors went crazy over when they saw how good of shape it was in. She didn't even know what it was untill she looked it up on Ohio Indian Artifacts (Google).
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Indian Artifacts??? - 04/07/13 11:59 AM
No, but one thing we are afraid of out here when digging a project is coming across some artifacts. It tends to slow construction quite a lot! It used to be common around here to find arrow heads, but not so much any more.
Posted By: ewest Re: Indian Artifacts??? - 04/07/13 02:08 PM
Stay away from those as they will halt a project and have your property crawling with gov types. I have some real horror stories about those including multi-million $ fines. Never admit they are on your land - like Sgt. Schultz - I see nothing - nothing - NOTHING !!!!
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Indian Artifacts??? - 04/07/13 02:12 PM
The arrowheads were fairly common to find when walking a newly plowed cornfield in PA. I have several from when I was a kid and my grandfather would take me out to a local farm where he knew the farmer.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Indian Artifacts??? - 04/07/13 03:31 PM
I have found one arrowhead in my life. I don't know how or where to look for them.
Posted By: esshup Re: Indian Artifacts??? - 04/07/13 04:35 PM
Im with Dave. I've found one in my life when I was a kid. I still have it.
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: Indian Artifacts??? - 04/07/13 04:40 PM
My brother spends hundreds of hours a year walking fields looking for them... He has a very nice collection...
Posted By: blair5002 Re: Indian Artifacts??? - 04/07/13 07:33 PM
We have found about a dozen Tomahawks in our fields over the years and I have found 1 perfect arrowhead on a friends land. Its a sandy spot next to a creek where the wind erodes and uncovers arrowheads.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Indian Artifacts??? - 04/07/13 08:10 PM
One of the biggest Indiana settlements in the Midwest is north of me (Mongo, Indiana) and I'm close to an old Indian reservation boundary. They marched the Indians off years ago when they decided they wanted their reservation land too.

Where my dad's dad farmed when he was a kid, it was nothing to find arrowheads, pipes, bullet molds, you name it they found them when plowing the fields. We had a bunch but they came up missing one day. Sadly we think it was a relative that visited and cleaned us out.
Posted By: Clayton Re: Indian Artifacts??? - 04/07/13 08:30 PM
We have found redneck artifacts from where the original landowners buried trash. No arrowheads.

We recently disced up 15 acres to plant new pasture grass. I was hoping we'd find something. Nope. More redneck trash treasures.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Indian Artifacts??? - 04/07/13 08:47 PM
I had one of those for neighbors once. Everything they owned was sitting in the yard rusting away. They burned wet garbage and what wouldn't burn just sat their making a bigger and bigger pile as in tin cans, bottles etc. I guess recycling never dawned on them. Thank God they sold the place and now I have a couple that are a joy to have as neighbors. Very neat and particular about his property. He even plows my driveway.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Indian Artifacts??? - 04/07/13 11:18 PM
I have a densely wooded hill on my place that a neighbor said used to be called bootleggers hill 50 or so years ago. I went up through it and found some broken crockery, a couple of barrel bands and some greenish copper tubing. In other words, junk.

My house is about 100 yards into my property. The road through it was once the old stagecoach road that all the rural people used to get to the town of Bowie. The rancher/owner at that time got mad at neighbors and fenced off the road making everybody take a circuitous route to get to town. About 30 ft off the road is an indention in the ground with a bunch of rocks piled up at one end. One very old man told me that it was the site of a dugout in the early 1900's. I have run my metal detector over the ground and only found some square nails and some pieces of pottery that are impossible to age.
Posted By: hang_loose Re: Indian Artifacts??? - 04/08/13 02:55 AM
Originally Posted By: blair5002
We have found about a dozen Tomahawks in our fields over the years and I have found 1 perfect arrowhead on a friends land. Its a sandy spot next to a creek where the wind erodes and uncovers arrowheads.

Not on our property, but the best artifacts I have found have been in or near a creek (when I was a lot younger). A friend of mine told me to look for arrowheads after a rainstorm. He said to look at night with a flashlight.... Flint has a reflection to it.
Posted By: John Wann Re: Indian Artifacts??? - 04/08/13 03:54 AM
Originally Posted By: Clayton
We have found redneck artifacts from where the original landowners buried trash. No arrowheads.

We recently disced up 15 acres to plant new pasture grass. I was hoping we'd find something. Nope. More redneck trash treasures.

I have a bunch of those too.
Posted By: hang_loose Re: Indian Artifacts??? - 04/08/13 04:15 AM
Originally Posted By: Clayton
grinWe have found redneck artifacts from where the original landowners buried trash. No arrowheads.

Did you find any Foxworthy tapes??? wink grin grin.
© Pond Boss Forum