Pond Boss
Posted By: small pond how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/10/13 10:13 PM
helo today i walked down to the pond sick sick as a dog to feed the trout and what do i find trash, and algae that has been disturbed floating allover the pond plus trash all over the banks, the pond isn't muddy so they definattly wern't swimming. and i didn't see as many fish as usual. i have a game cam but it was turned off frown. so guys is there any thing i can do to keep the people away. and the game camera is always gona stay on now. so is there anything i can do to them if i catch them.help please. thanks in advance.
Posted By: esshup Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/10/13 10:35 PM
If you or your family owns the land, I would start by calling a game warden and tell them that someone has been poaching fish from your pond. Get him to come out and see what's going on, and ask him. Make up your mind (or your parents mind) to prosecute them if caught. If they aren't prosecuted, then there's no penalty for them fishing there, and they will continue to come and fish. Make sure the game cam is hidden pretty well - they might steal it if they think they are caught on it.
Posted By: esshup Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/10/13 10:37 PM
There's lots of things that you can do to them, but you'll probably be in more trouble with the law than they are if you do.

If you or your family doesn't want to press charges if they are caught, I doubt that you'll get much help from the Game Warden.
yes my parents own the land, they are just as upset as me. no trespassing sighns are going up this week. the camera is very well hidden my buddy a 70 year old living fossil as he calls himself walks down there every day with me i didn't tell him there was a camera until the second month i had it set up and he never noticed it. he was shocked when i showed him the pics. thanks essup i think you pretty much sumed up my problem.
Not sure about PA laws, but down here it is imperative (at least for legal prosecution) to have the property's "entry points" guarded with POSTED signs - stating that violators will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law (preferably by hanging).
Beyond that, I know of a few non-hazardous "deterrents" that would make them think twice about wandering through the area.
Signs would be your first defense..
kellie i'd like to know some of those other deterrents. the hazardous ones are welcome to. laugh
Posted By: Sunil Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/10/13 11:37 PM
Do a search across all forums for 'trespassing' and 'trespassers' and you will see a lot of good advice.
Posted By: dale k Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/10/13 11:56 PM
I don't know much about Pa. I think we all have that trouble.
Most hunting land and lot of fishing ponds are leased here in Oklahoma and they are not cheap.
One thing you can do is lease exclusive rights to fishing that pond to someone you know for x amount of dollars , get a contract and all. When you catch your trespasser take him to court & sue him for the money you have to return to your friend. Let the word out it might help.
When I lived in Mo. with my parents we had a frozen over pond with a nice dock. A group of kids college age stopped and ask if they could go ice skateing. My Dad said sure. a few days later I walked to our pond to find whiskey bottles broken all over the pond and our dock about 1/2 burned down. We just couldn't believe it.
I hope you catch them.
Sunil i took your advice and found alot of good imfo from what it looks like everybody has had this problem thankyou. dale the one lesson that would have taught me is that no good deed goes unpunished. grin
Posted By: JKB Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/11/13 12:43 AM
Posting properly is imperative up here. We get our signs from the Sheriff's Office. The signs have to have specific nomenclature and state the MCL#, which references the law. They have to be placed every so often, depending on conditions. Main thing is, they have to be able to see them from every angle if entering your property. They are Blaze Orange, so kinda hard to miss. They don't have to be able to read them at any distance tho. All it takes up here is a witness for prosecution. With a game cam photo, the Judge don't even have to get out of bed wink

We have really good law enforcement in my property area, from State, County and Local Agency's. County usually deals with it, but local are all Deputized! Meaning, they can cross jurisdictions.

We did have quite a bit of trouble in the past with riff raff in the area, but that is cleaned up now. Sucks to be them wink , especially the neighbor kid doing Federal Time!

We all work together on problems. Like to live in peace. Do our own thing on our own property, which we have every right to, and not be bothered by Trash!

BTW, Game Warden (DNR Officer) would not have anything to do with someone fishing your private pond. Has to be poaching on/in State Waters. Land critters are a different story tho. Go ask a former resident in the area, who was a prolific poacher, till he nailed a Turkey, that was "HOT", what's it all about? After Prison, he never moved back. Nothing to move back to!

Sorry for going on, but this type of stuff effects everyone.
Posted By: Zep Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/11/13 12:46 AM
Originally Posted By: small pond
no trespassing sighns are going up this week.

small pond....
security is always "a puzzle" with several pieces.

if they wanna break into a bank, they will
but we can try to scare off most with certain tools

signs, cameras, getting the word out,
game warden/sheriff notification, watchful neighbors,
fencing, locked gates, the sound of guns, ect...

when we bought our place we kept hearing from lots of people in town
"oh I used to fish out there all the time".

I ordered from these folks:
VossSigns

(no bullet holes yet...lol)

jkb I don't mind the long post verry intersting zep i like the ideas calling the cops will definatly work espescialy once the word gets out and believe me it will. i was thinking of taking up the offer from my sister to take her dog but i don't need no more responsibility plus he wouldn't be much of a gaurd dog he'd probably go all tame on the trespassers. note my dads name isn't clint. clint is the dog.

Attached picture lazy dog, and clint.PNG
Land mines...
Being where you are located, and from my experiences with counterparts in PA, I suspect you have pretty similar laws to what we have on this side of the state border.

I would definitely start with a call to the Pennsylvania Game Commission. Each state has somewhat different rules, but the "game wardens" have a lot of legal power, and, at least in WV, they work very closely with local law enforcement and the state police.

When I was last having problems, I would not have wanted to have been caught on my property with any hunting or fishing equipment, without written permission to be here.

Here in WV, there are certain paperwork forms a land owner signs, and there are things you do to your property to alert all law personnel to keep an eye on your property. I believe ours are good for 90 days, unless revoked or extended.

Local law enforcement can patrol the property, and they will detain/handcuff/transport/jail anyone found on the property without proper authorization. The person/s are taken to the county lock-up and presented to the magistrate court within 24 hours.

I found the "game wardens" to be extremely professional. They saw things I never noticed. Like "there is a piece of worm here at the water's edge -- have you been fishing here with worms in the last couple of hours?" They saw evidence of trespassing and poaching that I would never have seen.

That is one more alternative -- and a good legal alternative.

Good luck,
Ken
Posted By: Kiko Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/11/13 01:48 AM
A sign that says "No Tresspassing: Waste Water Treatment site" works well.
Posted By: JKB Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/11/13 01:53 AM
Boy, SP!

You're getting a good education here!

I would drop the Land Mines tho wink
Originally Posted By: JKB
Boy, SP!

You're getting a good education here!

I would drop the Land Mines tho wink
comon ya gota let me have a little fun every body likes to blow someting up once and awhile grin especialy if it means getting rid of a poacher wink this edjucation sure is better than the one i get at school way more fun and the people are 10 times nicer.
this is a little off topic but still very similar. You will see what I mean, and 90% of the time it works all the time.!!

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=257113.0

not sure how make it a link. Sorry.
I agree with most everything said here so far, and would proceed to follow the suggestions made above, like the signs, showing that you are losing money via lease ( if you sue ), cameras, etc. I will add the following from my past experience so it may help.

Call the police as soon as possible. Do not hesitate and say "the next time". Game warden sounds good if they will come out, but in my area the police will start a case. I put signs up around my whole property as was told to do. They kept tearing them down. Every time I called and reported it so to build a history. It was impposible to keep them up, but the police eventually said that when I do catch them, at least there is a record of me trying.

When they were finally caught, I did prosecute. There was no cost to me, they took care of all the details/work. The police here find it very frustrating when you don't follow thru after they have tried so hard to help you. This was difficult for me to do, because you don't want to cause friction. But, since then, I have been left alone. Wiord travels fast. I do think that in time, more will come but you have to stand your ground.

Alot of this was a result of seeing my dad with the same problem for his whole life. Tresspassers coming, him catching them, calling the police, let go with a warning. Not long after, they were right back stealing, vandalizing, etc. My dad didn't want to cause problems, but it was a never ending problem to him. So, I am trying a different aproach.

Cameras are a great tool., but they are costly when they bust them up. Most will, if they find out about them. I took to putting a camera inside a box that looks like a bird's nesting box. I would then put alot of these boxes up all over. Most didn't have anything in them, but it took time on their part to figure out which ones. You might even start putting a few of these up now, so if later you put a camera in one, they will not be so suspicious.

Stay strong, never give up.....
Posted By: Zep Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/11/13 04:10 PM
Originally Posted By: fish n chips
I put signs up around my whole property as was told to do. They kept tearing them down. Not long after, they were right back stealing, vandalizing, etc.

Cameras are a great tool., but they are costly when they bust them up. Most will, if they find out about them.

Jezzzz fish n chips...sounds like you got some real dirt-bags hanging around your place.

Is it mostly stoner high school kids tryin to party?
SP if your property is large enough to legally allow target shooting, then doing that regularly might help along with putting up targets with bullet holes around the pond.

I shoot and make plenty of noise every time I go to the cabin.
This person in the pic has been warned once by me and once by the officer that showed up after this pic was taken. The officer assured me that if she trespasses again she will go to jail, I gave her husband the same warning. You need to let people know your SERIOUS.
how large does the property have to be? ours is three acers. but there is nothing behind it.
here are some pic files of the property everything between the red lines is ours.

Attached picture satalite pic 2.PNG
Attached picture satalite pic.PNG
Posted By: Zep Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/11/13 05:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Buffs Pond
This person in the pic has been warned once by me and once by the officer that showed up after this pic was taken. The officer assured me that if she trespasses again she will go to jail, I gave her husband the same warning. You need to let people know your SERIOUS.

Buffs...a friend of mine was out at his place
and some local yahoo told him "these city slickers
come out here & buy these places and think they own them
".

Uh yeah buddy....thats how it works.
You buy something...you own it.

But these country guys seem to think city slickers
owing property is not legit...as if it's still
public domain because "well dats the way's it's always been".

how large does the property have to be? ours is three acers. but there is nothing behind it.

Don't know about PA. but here you have to be atleast 500 ft. from a neighbors dwelling unless you have their permission.
smallpond- I might also add that if the law enforcement knows your age and about how hard you are working on you project, I can't believe that they will not go the extra mile to help you out. Let that work for you here.

Originally Posted By: Zep

Is it mostly stoner high school kids tryin to party?

Believe it or not, alot of the problems are folks who are old enough to know better, 25 and older. I occasionally will catch little kids 8 to 15, but they are usually very nice and are are scared to death by the "experience". It was so bad at one time, the police actually brought 4 wheelers out to patrol the properties. Like I said, if you give the wrong-doers an inch, they will take a mile. It never gets better. It was left go way to long without reinforcement. As long as you stand firm, the police will help you out. I have had very good help from them. I might say that it hasn't always been that way either.

Side story here, AP your comment reminded me of it....... My disclaimer here is do not do this. But years ago there was not much law around here, if you had a problem, take care of it yourself. Thats the policy my dad grew up with as I am sure many here have been thru the same. Probably a lot of yous down in Texas, its still that way. Well as a kid, I remember my dad having problems with poachers at the pond. The pond sits down below a pretty good bank as you approach it from our barn. They would come in from the backside of the property and start fishing and stay to that side because if they heard a tractor/truck coming, they would have a fast retreat. My dad was in WW2 and reminds me so much of George here on the forum. Very respectfull and carefull of others. My dad and I would go for real quite hunting trips on the farm. Teaching me how to hunt and such. Once in awhile we would take a detour towards the pond. When we would crest the hill top, he would see the guys fishing. Carefully, he would position himself in the just the right spot, and wait, ....and wait, ..........and wait some more. Seemed to go on forever. Finally the guy would throw out the line in just the right spot and my dad would shhoot the bobber. Man, I never seen someone leave an area so fast in all my life. Throwing up their pole, leaving behind their tackle box, and fish. To this day, I am still reminded of this when I go fishing, because most of the tackle is still from what was left behind at those times....

Ahhhh... the stories could go on, living in the country back in the good old days.
Posted By: esshup Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/11/13 06:02 PM
SP. if you haven't done so already, call the DNR (or have your Dad call them) and tell them someone was poaching on your property, and that you want an officer to come out and talk to you (or your parents) about it.

That's the only way that you will get anywhere. Let us know what they say.
Posted By: Sunil Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/11/13 06:25 PM
fish n chips made one of the best points in his reply.

Keeping scumbags out is a never-ending process. NEVER ENDING.

There's always a new crop of scumbags being raised.
Posted By: JKB Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/11/13 06:44 PM
Originally Posted By: Sunil

There's always a new crop of scumbags being raised.

At least you may get a well deserved break for a while.

I like the "shoot the bobber" laugh
Posted By: JKB Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/11/13 06:51 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
SP. if you haven't done so already, call the DNR (or have your Dad call them) and tell them someone was poaching on your property, and that you want an officer to come out and talk to you (or your parents) about it.

May have to find out which law enforcement agency handles these things.

This is more akin to livestock theft than poaching. Do they still hang rustlers? wink

I agree that you need to get the officials involved as soon as possible, and as many times as you need to.
Quote:
Finally the guy would throw out the line in just the right spot and my dad would shoot the bobber.

That is a great idea. From my garden potting bench at our ground-level basement door, I can easily see both ponds, but it is extremely difficult to see the bench from the ponds. The scopes on my .22 and my 1100 fps .177 air rifle are both sighted in almost perfectly for the middle of both ponds.

The .177 would be ideal, as you can barely hear it shoot -- and probably can't hear it from the pond.

Be careful, but get law enforcement involved -- local and state game people.
[quote=Zep]
Finally the guy would throw out the line in just the right spot and my dad would shhoot the bobber. Man, I never seen someone leave an area so fast in all my life. Throwing up their pole, leaving behind their tackle box, and fish.

I don't care what anybody says, That's funny!! laugh

These motion detector alarms are cheap and they work well ,I have them around the cabin.
http://www.thehomesecuritysuperstore.com...s-jb5532-p=2362
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
Quote:
Finally the guy would throw out the line in just the right spot and my dad would shoot the bobber.

That is a great idea. From my garden potting bench at our ground-level basement door, I can easily see both ponds, but it is extremely difficult to see the bench from the ponds. The scopes on my .22 and my 1100 fps .177 air rifle are both sighted in almost perfectly for the middle of both ponds.

The .177 would be ideal, as you can barely hear it shoot -- and probably can't hear it from the pond.

Be careful, but get law enforcement involved -- local and state game people.

I cautiously posted this story because I don't want anybody to get hurt. I eluded to the fact that my dad was in the service WW2, but forgot to mention why that was important. During his training, his markmanship was listed similar to/or as sniper. He was very good his whole life shooting. He actually was a twin, and they served together. He was ready to be shipped out via train to be be a tailgunner in a plane. The twin brother got sick with scarlet fever and held him back also so they would not be split up. Good thing, becuase I probably wouldn't be here today if he served in that capacity.

Just have to remember bullets richote off water!!!!!! Sometimes their poles weren't left behind at the water. They would run off without reeling them in and later we would come across the line in the woods and most of the time we could follow it to the pole.

Sorry for the Hijack SP. This will be the end of that story.
no need to apolagize thats a real funny story i'd hate to be the guy geting his bobber shot. This afternoon i put up the posted sighns made it real clear i didn't want anyone there. im way ahead of you AP i was already looking into one of those motion alarms.
Originally Posted By: adirondack pond

I shoot and make plenty of noise every time I go to the cabin.

This.

I also make random visits - sometimes in the morning, sometimes at night, etc.

Reading that they are druggies around your place, it is a good thing for them to know the landwoner is armed and is firing.
Posted By: Sunil Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/11/13 10:37 PM
Random visits at odd times are critical to the process for absentee land owners. Good point.
The other common thread here is remaining serious.

Do you keep your property posted properly - replacing signs that are torn down, etc?

If you can find a place where they are crossing to gain access to your land, have you closed it off? Either barb wire, or cut limbs and yard debris, etc. Something that looks man-placed to place an obstruction with a posted sign nearby.

There is a landowner near me who has placed signs saying:

"Tresspassers will be SHOT!"

Don't know if he's serious or not, but I have absolutely no intention of even driving up his driveway to meet him and find out!

I'd guess he's shooting often around his land even if he is putting those signs out for dramatic effect.

I practice training drills with my firearms, and the benefit of that is the neighbors are aware. I hope and expect it will pay off next deer season with regard to dog hunters.
small pond,I got tired of replacing no trespassing signs too,last time I posted them I placed them pretty high using the bed of my truck as a ladder.So far they have lasted a little longer then before but time will tell.
Posted By: kenc Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/12/13 01:27 AM
SMPD, looks like you are in the middle of the action. In Va. if you make a siver paint stripe between 3&6 ft. tall. It must be 2in.x 6 in. and face outward. Game wardens can write citations on these signs. Of course this doesn't keep out the SOB' but they can't tear down your signs. Maybe they have something like this in your state. Good luck and post some more pictures of your hog trout.
thats intersting kenc im gona have to look into that. i have another idea could i plant a high density of briar bushes on the bank below the pond and around the front side where the people could see the pond. if i did that it would definatly camaflouge the pond+those briars would definatly detur me i've walked through them things before and i've learned to hate them. would this work any thoughts?
Posted By: kenc Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/12/13 02:01 AM
Thorny blackberries would probably work and taste great in season. Multiflora rose will stop a gnat from going through it but it is invasive. Good luck,you will figure something out.
SP another thing on posting,a lot of places require it for insurance purposes.A friend of ours was having similar problems on his hunting property and his insurance agent recommended taking pictures of where he posted the property to keep as proof it was posted.
thanks for the advice kenc no one is gona get through them nasty things. i love picking blackberrys, but i think i like eating them more when i go picking normaly the bucket comes back empty but i'm always full i can't figure it out wink i think i definatly should take pics of the posted sighns and where they are located for prove that the property is posted or was posted if someone tears down the sighns. thanks great idea robert
Posted By: esshup Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/12/13 05:22 AM

Well? What did they say?
Have you thought of the loud annoying mean dog tactic? I discourage it, but it might help.

Maybe if it lived on a chain at the lake.

Or better yet, get an angry goat!! They are stealthy and hit hard!!
Last Saturday a neighbor told me about a poacher in my pond he discovered thru their own postings on Facebook. She's a neighbors kid who probably was allowed to fish by the previous owner, but I have never had a conversation with them. Initially I thought it was an older photo, but the presence of a fence I installed in October proved otherwise. They have gone into foreclosure and moved out last weekend, so this particular problem has solved itself but since I'm presently an absentee owner, I'm sure the problem will recurr. I plan on adding some IP cameras soon. I don't have internet service available there, but I can relocate a spare server and capture stills and video using the cameras motion detection. At least I'll have some record of their activities. I wonder if she released the LMB she's holding in the pic!

http://public.fotki.com/jsing/everthing-pond/poacher.html

Attached picture Poacher.PNG
Posted By: Sunil Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/12/13 12:19 PM
WOW, 2Old, she had a scale and all!!!

So she knew she'd hook into some big fish....
Posted By: esshup Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/12/13 01:13 PM
If she released it, lets hope that she didn't damage it's gills with the hook on the scale when she weighed it.

From the looks of the fish, you might want to do a fish survey. To me, that fish looks like it has a relatively large head for it's body, which might mean that the forage base might be a little skewed. Or that age class of LMB might need thinning. But, it's impossible to make an informed observation on a sample of one.

Well? What did they say?

Can't state this enough!!!
Get the officials involved, whether it is local law enforcement or game wardens. Of all the years and stories I can tell of my dad trying different things, nothings works as good as hitting them in the wallet!!!! The rest of it seems like its a fun game/challenge to them.

Once they know the fish are there, they will be back, WITH FRIENDS. You can do all the hiding and preventative measures you want, they now know and will tell all their friends. The bushes are a good idea, for future help. Also, taking pictures of what you do is mandatory for proof. Glad you brought that up.
From the looks of the fish, you might want to do a fish survey. To me, that fish looks like it has a relatively large head for it's body, which might mean that the forage base might be a little skewed. Or that age class of LMB might need thinning. But, it's impossible to make an informed observation on a sample of one.

I hope to get a survey done soon. We bought it last Sept and have been there about one weekend per month. If you can believe it, my spousal unit thinks her honey-do list takes priority over everything else!

Well? What did they say?
I don't know yet my dad called and we got a machine we left a message but no one got back to us.
Posted By: esshup Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/12/13 04:41 PM
Keep trying. If it seems to the Game Warden that it is a problem that you are really concerned about, they'll be faster to respond.

Well? What did they say?
I don't know yet my dad called and we got a machine we left a message but no one got back to us.

Yeah you'll have to be persistent. Game Wardens are not a priority among states so there aren't that many to go around. It used to take about 3 days in my state to get a response to report a violation. I finally gave up.
Posted By: Sunil Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/12/13 05:48 PM
My PA Fish & Game Warden was very responsive to my needs. I keep his cell phone number in my wallet.

I got him involved several years ago when some scumbag shot two geese in my pond.

Now, while I'm glad someone shot the geese, they did so without my permission.

The two dead geese were floating in the water. My daughter, who was about 5 at the time, didn't quite understand.

The Warden came and met me at my pond and removed the two geese.

He went into town and asked around, and sure enough, found the kid who did it.
Posted By: ewest Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/12/13 06:18 PM
Someone is in big trouble shooting geese out of season while trespassing and likely without the proper licensing.

Call regular LE as they can act on trespassing as well.
Posted By: Sunil Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/12/13 06:24 PM
Yes, the Warden said they had nothing to do with trespassing.
Posted By: Zep Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/12/13 06:53 PM
Just curious...are you guys that are getting trespassed close to the road? My property is fenced with locked gates. You can't see the lakes from the road...in fact it's quite a walk down to the waters. 3 sides of property are against other private property owners not close to any roads. We've been lucky to not have the problems that some of you seem to have. I was just wondering if road proximity may play a huge part?
Posted By: kenc Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/12/13 07:19 PM
Mark,it is usually the nieghbors that do the trespassing. If it is a good fishing or hunting spot, people flock to it.
Posted By: RAH Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/12/13 07:29 PM
When we first bought our property, we had some folks that though that there long history of tresspassing entitled them to continue the practice. This stopped very quickly. I though that I could claim "temporary insanity", but folks tell me the "temporary" part would never fly. I bought it and its mine - plain and simple.
I wish I could help, but you've already got plenty of advice. I don't have that problem here in Oklahoma and I think the reason is the sign in front of the property.

Brother Bob's Rottweiler and Rattlesnake Farm

probably has something to do with it.....
Posted By: kenc Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/12/13 07:56 PM
If you live there,it is easier to keep people out. Otherwise,I think you will have problems. At the boat dock Sunday,someone had left me a beetle spin wrapper and once this past hunting season I was walking in someones footprints from that morning. At the farm in Aylett somebody picks the blackberries before we can. At another farm in the mountains a SOB cut off my lock and put his back on the gate. Game warden has never caught him yet even though we know who it is. That is the trouble about not living full time on your property.
I feel bad for you Kenc i'd never want to own a property i couldn't watch. i gues i'm pretty lucky i'm on an online school so i can go down to the pond just about any time i want and i don't have a job so i have alot of spare time on my hands but no money once i get a job the only thing that'le change no time, and still no money im sure alot of people know what i mean. good luck kenc all criminals are criminals for a reason they're stupid and will eventualy get caught. i hope you get em. and yes i would consider stealing blackberrys a crime.
Posted By: Sunil Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/12/13 08:34 PM
kenc, I still don't understand your situation with that guy who cuts your lock.
Originally Posted By: kenc
If it is a good fishing or hunting spot, people flock to it.

AND Trout of any size is usually hard to refuse by trespassers.

ZEP- peolpe just like to walk and investigate, especially when they have no property of their own, or very little. Once they start walking, they find things to do. They also talk freely about what they see with anyone else. Word of mouth advertising, you might say. I also blame satellite maps. You can't tell me that most people don't "snoop" around to see what in their neighborhood, available to anyone.
Posted By: kenc Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/12/13 10:07 PM
Sunil, he is a bold SOBwho lives within walking distance of that farm. Even though he told a friend of mine that it was his lock,I can't prove it in court. If I had a leg to stand on,I would sue him in civil court. We are just hoping the game warden will catch him. Even if I catch him, if he leaves when you tell him he is trespassing,he is blameless. Trespassing laws are very hard to enforce in Va. SMPD, this is how we make a living, we own several rental homes and 4 farms so we just do what we can to post the properties and hope for the best but expect to have problems.
Originally Posted By: 2Old2Soon
If you can believe it, my spousal unit thinks her honey-do list takes priority over everything else!

What nerve!!!!! Stand up for yourself man...

......Sorry, got to go. The wife is calling for me.

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: esshup Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/12/13 11:42 PM
Sunil, he is a bold SOBwho lives within walking distance of that farm. Even though he told a friend of mine that it was his lock,I can't prove it in court. If I had a leg to stand on,I would sue him in civil court. We are just hoping the game warden will catch him. Even if I catch him, if he leaves when you tell him he is trespassing,he is blameless. Trespassing laws are very hard to enforce in Va. SMPD, this is how we make a living, we own several rental homes and 4 farms so we just do what we can to post the properties and hope for the best but expect to have problems.

kenc:

Can you take out a restraining order on him to keep him away from teh property? Then if he still wanders over, he can be arrested. Leaving when being told won't fly.
Posted By: kenc Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/12/13 11:59 PM
I know very little about the restraining laws but I think that is to keep them away from people not land. I will ask my shyster the next time we talk if I don't forget.
Posted By: esshup Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/13/13 12:49 AM
I was told by the sheriff here in Indiana that it was the only way to do it. He said that he has to ask them to leave and can only arrest them if they refuse. When I said that it seemed pointless, he said that about the restraining order. That way the next time caught on the property after the restraining order was in effect, he could arrest them.I asked him just how the heck would I find out their personal info., and he said that they run them for wants/warrants so I could get the info from him.

He said that the DNR only got involved if they were hunting or fishing with permission. If someone was just on the property, then I had to call the sheriff.
Posted By: Zep Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/13/13 12:52 AM
ZEP- peolpe just like to walk and investigate, especially when they have no property of their own, or very little. Once they start walking, they find things to do. They also talk freely about what they see with anyone else. Word of mouth advertising, you might say. I also blame satellite maps. You can't tell me that most people don't "snoop" around to see what in their neighborhood, available to anyone.

true fish n chips
it's a shame

One tool you may use is when you catch someone on your property is whip out your cell phone and start taking pictures and videos of them. Some people are intimidated by having their picture taken while breaking the law. The pictures could help with law enforcement and if it ever came to court. It's a complicated puzzle and usually no one thing will completely solve it.
Posted By: kenc Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/13/13 12:58 AM
Each state is different,In Va. a law enforcement officer can arrest them for trespassing if the land is posted but if you catch them they do nothing as long as they leave if you ask them to. We are pretty resigned to the fact that people are going to do what they want.
Ken, the next time we are fishing we'll have to have a chat about trespassing laws in VA. I think I have some solutions for your problems that local law enforcement may not want to do or know about. VA trespass laws are far better than PA trespass laws which are a complete joke.

Virginia Code § 18.2-119 defines the crime of trespassing as follows:

If any person without authority of law goes upon or remains upon the lands, buildings or premises of another, or any portion or area thereof, after having been forbidden to do so, either orally or in writing, by the owner, lessee, custodian or other person lawfully in charge thereof, or after having been forbidden to do so by a sign or signs posted by such persons or by the holder of any easement or other right-of-way authorized by the instrument creating such interest to post such signs on such lands, structures, premises or portion or area thereof at a place or places where it or they may be reasonably seen, or if any person, whether he is the owner, tenant or otherwise entitled to the use of such land, building or premises, goes upon, or remains upon such land, building or premises after having been prohibited from doing so by a court of competent jurisdiction by an order issued pursuant to §§ 16.1-253, 16.1-253.1, 16.1-253.4, 16.1-278.2 through 16.1-278.6, 16.1-278.8, 16.1-278.14, 16.1-278.15, 16.1-279.1, 19.2-152.8, 19.2-152.9 or § 19.2-152.10 or an ex parte order issued pursuant to § 20-103, and after having been served with such order, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. This section shall not be construed to affect in any way the provisions of §§ 18.2-132 through 18.2-136.

The issue in many trespassing cases is twofold: has proper notice been provided that the person is not welcome in a particular area and exactly what area is the person prohibited from entering. The code identifies potentially four different ways in which notice of no trespassing may be accomplished. The four ways are: by oral request by a person in authority, by written request by a person in authority, by a posted sign in an area where it may reasonably be seen, by court order pursuant to specific code sections, even if the order is ex parte. An ex parte order is an order entered by a judge where the person who is the subject of the order is not present at the time the order is entered. For a person to be convicted of trespassing after the entering of an ex parte order, that person must have actually been served with a copy of the order. This means a sheriff or other properly authorized individual, delivered a copy of the order to the person who is the subject of the no trespass provision.

There are several code sections in Virginia that relate to trespassing. Even without notice, to hunt or fish on someone's land even if it isn't properly posted is still illegal and a class 3 misdemeanor. When properly posted, the crime is elevated to a class 1 misdemeanor.
Posted By: kenc Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/13/13 01:39 AM
Sounds good Travis, I am all ears.
Pennsylvania has in my opinion very pathetic trespass laws and the wardens do not enforce them for the most part. Unlike in Virginia where game wardens or conservation police officers as they are now known have the ability to enforce almost all state laws. In Pennsylvania, game wardens and fish wardens are more restricted in what they can and cannot enforce. Pennsylvania is also weird in that they have separate agencies for fish and game. They have the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission and the Pennsylvania Game Commission. In the past there has been a push to merge them, but as of yet, it hasn't happened. So there are actually specific game wardens and specific fish wardens. They will work together during each other's busy seasons though. For the most part though, they are separate entities.

Pennsylvania has two major trespass laws relating to pond/land owners. They are covered in section 18 Pa.C.S. § 3503: Criminal trespass.

The major ones are:

Subsection (b.2) Agricultural trespasser.
(1) A person commits an offense if knowing that he is not licensed or privileged to do so he:
(i) enters or remains on any agricultural or other open lands when such lands are posted in a manner prescribed by law or reasonably likely to come to the person's attention or are fenced or enclosed in a manner manifestly designed to exclude trespassers or to confine domestic animals; or
(ii) enters or remains on any agricultural or other open lands and defies an order not to enter or to leave that has been personally communicated to him by the owner of the lands or other authorized person.
(2) An offense under this subsection shall be graded as follows:
(i) An offense under paragraph (1)(i) constitutes a misdemeanor of the third degree and is punishable by imprisonment for a term of not more than one year and a fine of not less than $250.
(ii) An offense under paragraph (1)(ii) constitutes a misdemeanor of the second degree and is punishable by imprisonment for a term of not more than two years and a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $5,000.
(3) For the purposes of this subsection, the phrase "agricultural or other open lands" shall mean any land on which agricultural activity or farming as defined in section 3309 (relating to agricultural vandalism) is conducted or any land populated by forest trees of any size and capable of producing timber or other wood products or any other land in an agricultural security area as defined in the act of June 30, 1981 (P.L. 128, No. 43), [FN1] known as the Agricultural Area Security Law, or any area zoned for agricultural use. Defiant trespass is committed when an individual enters a property in defiance of some communication that states he is not allowed to do so. Such communication may be a "Do not enter" sign or a barrier clearly designed to exclude intruders such as a fence.

The other is Defiant trespass Subsection (b). It is a third-degree misdemeanor.

As I said, PA's trespass laws are a joke... Try calling the State Police in a rural area and get them to one respond and two, charge someone with trespassing, even when you have them dead to rights on well posted ground. My cousin is a state trooper in rural PA. They can barely keep up with serious calls for service let alone dealing with land owners throwing a hissy over someone fishing in their pond.

wow cjb you know alot about law. i can imagine that they do have a hard time keeping up. our neighbor has a police scanner and it's amazing how much crap those people have to put up with. for example the other day someone called the cops because there was a kid about my age riding a motorcycle in his own yard without a helmet in a secluded area. he probably should've been wearing a helmet but seriously why can't people mind there own buisness.
Posted By: Sunil Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/13/13 01:02 PM
small pond, CJ is a police officer, from PA but serving in VA.
I don't have a any problems on my property because I live here and I'm here most of the time but never say never. I did find some trash under my pier and thought, "Oh crap someone was here!" Turns out it was my dad and he had found some trash that had blown off the highway and he shoved it under the pier as he was in a hurry to go somewhere. Boy was I relieved!

One thing I have going for me is I have a friend and good taxidermy customer that is a local LEO. I know if I have problems all I have to do is call him and he will take care of it.

He's even protective of my fish at the local high school recirculating tank as he told me they were having a security drill at the school one night and the other officer's were freaking out the fish by shining flashlights in the tank. He told them to knock it off as they were stressing my fish. smirk
heres what the pond looks like from the rr tracks where all of the scum can see it. any sugestions on how i can make this less noticeable.

Attached picture tresspassers veiw of pond.PNG
Posted By: Sunil Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/13/13 05:24 PM
small pond, where is your pond? Mine is in Acosta, PA. in Somerset.
Posted By: Sunil Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/13/13 06:51 PM
Cool, thanks!
OOPS! I accidently deleted that post sorry. heres the pic.

Attached picture satalite picture.PNG
small pond, CJ is a police officer, from PA but serving in VA.

A big thanks needs to go out to CJ for taking the time to post that information.

I also had to chuckle a his very early post when he mentioned "land mines" , knowing that he was an officer. He knew at that point its an uphill batlle, but we can never give up!!!!!!!!!!

He said that the DNR only got involved if they were hunting or fishing with permission. If someone was just on the property, then I had to call the sheriff.

Confused by this, but thinking it might be a typo?
Originally Posted By: Zep

true fish n chips
it's a shame

One tool you may use is when you catch someone on your property is whip out your cell phone and start taking pictures and videos of them. Some people are intimidated by having their picture taken while breaking the law. The pictures could help with law enforcement and if it ever came to court. It's a complicated puzzle and usually no one thing will completely solve it.

Yes, this is what I do, when it's possible, and its good to bring it up for others to know that its a good thing to do. Some will be scared off by it, and others might get confrontational. Always be prepared.
Posted By: kenc Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/14/13 12:59 AM
Fish,I think like you do. I wouldn't want to bring a camera to a gun fight.
heres what the pond looks like from the rr tracks where all of the scum can see it. any sugestions on how i can make this less noticeable.

Can't really see the pond. You can see the dam, eh? Maybe I'm not seeing the photo properly. Can you see your setup/pond from your house? If so, I don't think I would put the bushes up like we talked about earlier. It's better to see your pond and what going on. With bushes, folks can use them to hide from your line of sight. This is only the case if you can see your pond from your house. If you can't see the pond from the house, then it might be a good idea to disguise the dam somehow from the view of the RR tracks.

edit-looks like you still need to get the signs up along that property line too.

Can't really see the pond. You can see the dam, eh? Maybe I'm not seeing the photo properly. Can you see your setup/pond from your house? If so, I don't think I would put the bushes up like we talked about earlier. It's better to see your pond and what going on. With bushes, folks can use them to hide from your line of sight. This is only the case if you can see your pond from your house. If you can't see the pond from the house, then it might be a good idea to disguise the dam somehow from the view of the RR tracks.

edit-looks like you still need to get the signs up along that property line too.
No I can't see the pond from the house. that was an old picture from around november but the property is heavily posted now.

Took me a minute to find the pond.... My eyes were focusing on all the trash left behind. Good luck catching them if no-one is around to watch.

If you want to make it less notice-able (or less preferable to the trespassers)camp right in that spot where they can see you. If you can't, let some of your buddies fish and camp. Even bring in some of your trap shooting buddies to shoot the "clay pigeons" at different times of the day (or week).

Trespassers and thieves are like bullies, If they think there is a chance they will get hurt, they will back off and go somewhere else.

And also, they could be HOBO'S jumping off the train to cook a chicken they just "found". Kinda like a theme on the Andy Griffith show. grin
Small Pond: After viewing 4 pages worth of advice, is the rat-trap beginning to look like a viable option? wink
Best advice, post the full perimeter of you property with the bright yellow POSTED signs. Every 75 feet or so should do, but I would put them even closer if you can. Place a few well hidden trail cameras to capture evidence and go from there.
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
Best advice, post the full perimeter of you property with the bright yellow POSTED signs. Every 75 feet or so should do, but I would put them even closer if you can. Place a few well hidden trail cameras to capture evidence and go from there.

Simple and to the point. In TX, it's required that the signs be 100' apart in timbered land and 1000' apart in open land. 75' sounds good to me. Also, according to the penal code, livestock fencing or purple paint is enforced as no trespassing notification. I would go with the signs.
thankyou all for your help and thoughts but i have one more question we just posted the small portion of our land where the pond is we have sighns every 40ft around the pond will this be okay we didn't want to post the whole property just the pond.
Posted By: esshup Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/14/13 03:20 PM
Think about this for a minute. Would you allow trespassers on your property, but not the pond?
we just don't wan't want them in the area of the pond there is nothing else on our property of intrest and we couldn't care less about plain woods. the sighns are not just around the pond we now have a section of the property posted is this good or to be legal does every thing have to be posted.
Posted By: esshup Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/14/13 04:30 PM
Different states have different laws. Here's my take on it.

If it were my property, I'd post the whole property. I don't want trespassers on my land. Think of the bigger picture.

What would happen if someone was on your property and got injured? Would your parents be open to a lawsuit by that trespasser? Could they use the argument that "They only posted the area around the pond, so I thought it was O.K. to be on their property!"
When ever I have inquired, they tell me the whole perimeter has to be posted. Mainly because the trespassesrs could claim they come in from another area and never saw them.

Besides that, they have even tried to get me to be responsible for posting in places where the public comes in at raodways, even though I do not own that property. I think they are just trying to "pass the buck" and I don't follow that advice. I have a power line that cuts thru the property and with this type of easement, like your RR tracks, it seems to give people the idea its ok to follow the pathway and trespass.

edit-looks like esshup types faster than me smile
you make a realy good point esshup i gues were gona have to look into posting the whole property. Thankyou for your input i apreciate it alot.
Posted By: Bing Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/14/13 04:38 PM
It appears to me that not posting all of the property is implied permission to be on the part that is not posted.
Posted By: Sunil Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/14/13 04:39 PM
esshup is correct. You are better served to post your entire property.

Frankly, there are some real scumbags up around where yours and my ponds are at.

Just another point....if someone sets up a Meth lab on your land, the cost of the necessary environmental clean up is costly and on you.
hey guys i can't believe i havn't thought to ask about this earlier but as mentioned not that i didn't allready know this. is that there are alot of wacos out their and i'd like to carry my gun a .22 magnum long rifle with me when i go down to the pond. not just for human protection but im sure sunil knows what a problem bears are around this neck of the woods. is it legal for me to have a nonconcealed weapon on our own property. btw sunil there was a meth lab setup last summmer just past our property line someone called the cops on them and at the river i counted 30 cop cars there making the bust. so that has always been a concern.
Posted By: Sunil Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/14/13 05:05 PM
Technically, and this should be confirmed, but I think you can openly carry a weapon (rifle or handgun) anywhere you want; it's the concealed weapon that needs a permit. You'd be asking for trouble with a displayed firearm in many places though.

On your own land, you can most certainly carry a rifle or handgun.

I always have a handgun with me when I go to my property; it's more for self defense against two-leggers though.

I've heard of black bears in our area, but I've never seen one.
Thankyou sunil good imfo ill be sure to confirm it. I can't believe youve never seen a black bear in this area. in the summer almost 3 times a week we have them in our trash or in the yard i could talk for hours on just bear storys and i even came close to hiting one on my motorcycle last fall. once we had 3 cubs on our porch they were freindly and where like hungry dogs beging for food they were so close you could reach out and touch them. we have pics of that event if i can find them i will post them sometime.
Posted By: Sunil Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/14/13 05:56 PM
Well, I don't live at my property, so I don't have as much time there.

Done a lot of camping, but never saw a bear.
Posted By: Omaha Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/14/13 05:57 PM

Todd doesn't count here?
Posted By: Sunil Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/14/13 06:25 PM
Good point, though Todd is more of a Honky-Yeti type vs. a black bear.
What about pitching a cheap tent on the dam near the tracks? Put a solar light in there for evening to look like a flashlight is on. Could even put a small cooler out there and some other camping stuff to make it seem like it is in active use.

You would have to change things occasionally for the frequent visitor, but for the first timer, this would certainly discourage the casual trespasser.
Posted By: esshup Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/14/13 07:13 PM
Sunil, maybe the bears are scared away by the noise? grin

Posted By: Sunil Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/14/13 07:16 PM
That's only when the BIG WHITE YETI is around!
Originally Posted By: Omaha

Todd doesn't count here?

Josh has a well documented infatuation with Black Bears. Seek help already! laugh
Good point, though Todd is more of a Honky-Yeti type vs. a black bear.

Honky-Yeti? ROFLMAO! Thank you, I really needed that. Todd now has a new moniker.
Posted By: Omaha Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/14/13 11:43 PM
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Originally Posted By: Omaha

Todd doesn't count here?

Josh has a well documented infatuation with Black Bears. Seek help already! laugh

I resemble that remark!
I am not sure I would try to use a .22 mag on a black bear... In all likelihood, you would do nothing more than piss it off. Even two legged folks, .22 mag doesn't have much knock down power. If it is coming out of a rifle barrel and you are using a semi auto where you can place multiple shots on target, them maybe...

18 Pa.C.S. § 6106: Firearms not to be carried without a license

(a) Offense defined.--Any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.

So in other words, even though it's your land, you cannot conceal carry without a LTCF. They are not hard to get in PA, so why not get one and then you can carry most places you like...

Now open carry is a completely different beast. Have at it! PA allows you to open carry in most places. You may get stares and the cops called on you because people are ignorant of the law, but it is completely legal to open carry most firearms in most places in PA. Just stay out of Philly while doing it and you're fine... It is illegal to do so there unless you have a LTCF. Then you can open carry, however many Philly cops have a negative opinion of open carry and will treat you like trash when they come in contact with you.
Posted By: Omaha Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/15/13 01:52 AM
I am not sure I would try to use a .22 mag on a black bear... In all likelihood, you would do nothing more than piss it off. Even two legged folks, .22 mag doesn't have much knock down power. If it is coming out of a rifle barrel and you are using a semi auto where you can place multiple shots on target, them maybe...

I'm not near the firearms expert as CJ, and others, so I didn't respond to this. But wanted to. I would definitely think, if your primary reason is as a defense against bears, a .22 might just do enough to rile the bear up and put you in a more dangerous situation.
Posted By: Sunil Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/15/13 02:16 AM
I don't know much about rifles either, but I thought the same thing about a .22 and a bear.

Then again, if all I had was a .22, I'd rather have it than nothing.
cj,and omaha your right a .22 is gonado nothing more than irritate the bear I know this from experience but it normaly will intimidate them if you don't hit them and scare them away like sunil said it's better than nothing. plus if i do meet a drunk or high tresspaser witch i have met before you never know what they will do. i might of mentioned this before but we also have bad snake problems this summer while digging the pond i killed 5 copperheads. and i did have them confirmed as copperheads. thanks for the advice maby i do need to invest in a bigger gun.
Posted By: vamaz Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/15/13 03:26 AM
Seems I'm constantly reminded how wrong my first impressions of people can be. Not disputing that there are real scum bags walking this earth, but when approaching a stranger on my land or in my driveway (at the end of a gravel road) I prefer to have my gun concealed. Its there if I need it, but not there if I don't.

Case in point, a couple weekends ago, while we were away, my BIL and a freind were cutting some firewood on my property and got confronted by my neighbor who didn't recognise them. Unfortunately, my well intensioned neighbor felt he had to display his handgun - before any introductions were made! It resulted in some very tense moments for my buddies.

His first impression was wrong. He overplayed and ended up looking like a jerk.
Posted By: kenc Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/15/13 04:26 AM
Allen,he is a dangerous jerk.
Buy a double barrel shotgun. Walk out on Balcony and fire two shots into the air. LoL!
I think from reading this thread that small pond is a minor, and while I'm not certain of PA laws, it is not legal for a minor to carry a handgun without an adult present here in SC and then only for legitimate hunting/target shooting...you have to be 21 here, and I think that is the case in most states.

There could be some serious legal consequences for him and his parents if he has an armed confrontation with a drunk trespasser while outdoors. Inside the house is another matter.
How old are you SP?
I think i mentioned this before but yes i am what is considered a minor, and a good shot i'm 14.
SP if you want something non lethal for bears and people try a cannister of bear strength pepper spray. grin
Posted By: esshup Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/15/13 02:40 PM
Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
SP if you want something non lethal for bears and people try a cannister of bear strength pepper spray. grin

I heard frozen paintballs hurt too...........
I like your ideas alot I bet frozen paintballs would hurt. just regular ones will put you in a world of hurt i know this because the yahoos down at the river have shot me before. the jerks

That would be very correct!
Posted By: Omaha Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/15/13 04:26 PM

Yes, they do.
Lots of good suggestions, but I particularly like the one from "Adirondack Pond" regarding the use of inexpensive motion detector alarms. It would be best if you could place a couple of them somewhere that would be hard to quickly access. No one in their right mind would stick around with an alarm going off, especially if you had no trespassing signs posted that also warned of video surveillance. Anyone who would not be deterred by this is either someone you know, or is someone so crazy that you'd probably not want to confront anyhow.
This unit got some pretty good reviews for only $20 at 130db.

www.amazon.com/dp/B001GS4LU0/ref=dra_a_cs_lr_hn_it_P1400_1000?tag=dradis-20

It only has a 20' range but for $20 several could be purchased and placed out of reach. Apparently not loud enough to bother neighbors but at least maybe a deterrent!

After following this thread (and as a minor hijack) I decided to check on Nebraska laws and we seem to have it pretty good here:
Signs DO NOT need to be posted, but encouraged.
Nebraska law states that any
person entering property for
hunting/fishing/trapping without
the express permission of the
landowner/renter, is either
trespassing or hunting without
permission. "Although “No Hunting” and “No Trespassing” signs help to discourage people from illegally entering private land, they are in no way required to keep people from hunting someone’s personal property"

Special signs that state “Hunting by written permission only” can be posted on a landowner’s property. These
signs allow law enforcement officers to contact hunters in the
field and require them to produce written permission, by
the owner, stating they are allowed to hunt the area. Failure
to produce a document granting permission enables the law
enforcement officer to issue a citation without the landowner
being present.

A landowner can take down
a vehicle license plate number
and write down a description of
the individuals involved. This
information, along with a signed
affidavit by the landowner
stating that the parties in question
did not have permission to
hunt, is often times enough for
law enforcement (Game & Parks
or sheriff) to cite a person for
trespassing. The landowner is
also not required to be present in
court.

And lastly as I'm a renter:

Nebraska law says that
unless formally stated that the
owner retains hunting privileges when the
rental agreement is established,
the operator has the hunting
rights and ability to grant
permission to hunters on land
they rent.

Just some additional info from another state and for fellow Nebraskan's!

One final note although signs don't seem to stay up too long, place a sign that states:
IF YOU CAN READ THIS YOU HAVE BEEN CAPTURED ON CAMERA. IF YOU TURN AROUND NOW AND LEAVE THE SAME WAY YOU CAME IN, THE PHOTOS & VIDEO WILL BE TIME-STAMPED THAT YOU LEFT AND I WILL NOT PRESS CHARGES
Thanks lovnlivin for the link looks like a good deal. wish PA's laws were that good. little update i caught the guys getting ready to poach this afternoon. they pulled upto the rr tracks in a blaze orange pickup witch was realy stupid cause i was at the pond and as you can imagine it stuck out like a soar thumb.then two guys got out of the truck and got two fishing poles when they got close to the pond i jumped out of the woods and asked them where they were going fishing of coarse they couldn't answer me.so i asked them what that sighn up behind them said and he said no tresspassing. i ended up telling them why they couldn't fish the pond and that i had there license number so he agreed not to come back.
I would still report it to the officials. If you have more problems from them, at least there is a documented record to back you up.
Posted By: Sunil Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/15/13 11:00 PM
small pond, while I'm glad you caught some of the guys, you've got to be real careful dealing with these guys. Going solo is not good for anyone of any age. I hope you weren't alone.
Posted By: JKB Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/15/13 11:34 PM
Never saw a "Blaze Orange" pickup, nor any other vehicle in that color.

This is MI tho, and I am sure someone has one.

Usually, criminals prefer to go UN-detected, so they can get their activities accomplished and move on.

This is what I like in Orange:

small pond, while I'm glad you caught some of the guys, you've got to be real careful dealing with these guys. Going solo is not good for anyone of any age. I hope you weren't alone.
No need to worry sunil i had my buddy with me forgot to mention that in the post. jkb heres a pic of what the truck looked like maby its not blaze orange but it is orange.

Attached picture orange gmc.PNG
Posted By: JKB Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/15/13 11:56 PM
I would rather have the one I posted in Orange flavor laugh

I have a truck!
Sometimes things aren't worth dying for... Having approached a hunter who was trespassing on my family's land and then having a shotgun pointed at my head, it makes you think twice.

Please be careful confronting trespassers... Sometimes, the wisest thing is to observe from a distance, obtain the best descriptors you can and a license plate is very helpful if a vehicle is involved. Then make these reports to law enforcement and hope they are willing to assist you.
wow cj scary story if they do come back i will be sure to take their license plate number and get the cops involved i can assure everyone that i won't approach a tresspaser by myself but like i said i did have someone there with me so i was plenty save.
Posted By: kenc Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/16/13 01:59 AM
I know several landowners who have been threatened by SOB' on their property. I try to get the game warden to do the heavy lifting.
Posted By: esshup Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/16/13 03:16 AM
If you have their plate number and description, even tho they left I would call the Game Warden and tell them what happened, giving them a description of the people and the plate number. They could be doing that to other ponds in the area and just haven't been caught yet.

Don't forget that they saw the no trespassing signs and blatently disregarded them.
Posted By: mpc Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/16/13 03:48 AM
Hey all, thanks for all the good interaction here. I have never killed, but know a couple of people who have been needlessly killed for various reasons.

Here is my point,as we all know the world we live in today is different, in that there is at best less reverence for human life IMHO.

I do care for people in general, but, I do know that things can get out of hand quickly. That being said, I feel that most if not all here, have family that depends on us,and we have our own life to consider One may be called on to protect yourself or your loved one(s) at a moments notice. Like "Boy Scouts" be prepared, if a knife is required, have one and try to know how to use it. As well, it may require a better equalizer such as a hand gun and maybe one should have it open carry or conceal and carry, as needed and know how as best one can, how to use it. If those two items will not fit the scenario, one should have a long gun/rifle, close at hand, under the proper circumstances, ie. on the deck,tractor,or traversing one property or woods and know how to use it. Don't ignore the law,just know the law, IMHO.

To put it in perspective and hope no one thinks i am nutty,radical etc.,that is not really the case, all I ask my friends or family to do,is just call, or if it is an emergency come over and holler so I know someone needs help etc. I think that is fair. I say, although some, for some reason, do not like Game wardens, I am not one of those people. The Wardens have the strongest laws on their side and respect land owners. Wardens may not be a friend, but if they know you, they will help you. I am not saying the police or sheriffs would not help,but Game Wardens work under different laws. To put it another way, my Pastor is a sheriff, but I would call the Game Warden first.

All that said, IMHO, most of the time I am in a compromising situation on my place day to day,if I am not prepared for worse case scenarios. Of course the Wardens nor the police are there. I need to be prepared as best I can, so I do not have to think about it or worry about it, and I don't.The vast majority of the time I am prepared and never give it a thought. When I am not prepared, That is when I worry.

We are lucky in TX. in that we have rights as home and land owners.

If one is dead or worse laying in a hospital seriously wounded, by some nut, or trespasser etc., 2nd amendment rights don't mean much. If one is whole and has defended ones property or loved ones and that trespasser or nut has been removed from ones property,say a prayer for them and let God sort it out.

I do not want to offend anyone here and so I respect all opinions and views, but it would be best for those who wish to trespass or do harm on my property, know the rules and laws around where I live. Many of my neighbors feel about the same.

I wish the best for all Pond Bossers' and no harm for any of us or our families.

P.S. A 45APC with steel ball/hollow point every other shot, is a great tool. As well a 270,30.06, or even a full choke shot gun can all be pretty helpful, in a willing hand.
Sometimes things aren't worth dying for... Having approached a hunter who was trespassing on my family's land and then having a shotgun pointed at my head, it makes you think twice.

Please be careful confronting trespassers... Sometimes, the wisest thing is to observe from a distance, obtain the best descriptors you can and a license plate is very helpful if a vehicle is involved. Then make these reports to law enforcement and hope they are willing to assist you.

Please reread this and absorb it. I will say this; it is just as impossible to keep someone off your property, as it is to keep a bank from getting robbed, your car from getting broken into at the mall, or Anonymous from stealing some celebrities’ personal info. The big issue here is how you handle a face-to-face confrontation, and how much help you can provide law enforcement about the particular property violation.

Is the trespassing an act of ignorance, or a lack of respect for you and your property? These two situations should be handled very differently. If it’s a father and a son with a snoopy rod, then a casual but firm conversation may be all that’s needed. If that person is obviously impaired, trying to hide when you approach them, or carrying a weapon, then I would retreat to a safe distance, and make a phone call to authorities as quickly as possible. Provide LE with as much info as possible, and certainly get the vehicle info if you can.

Well defined property lines, no trespassing postings, and controlled entryways give you a good start to protecting your property as best you can. If you’re a weekender as we are, do you make a quick drive around of your cabin/barn/property line fences and check for open doors, cut fences, or missing equipment, we do. If anything is disturbed, we stay in the truck and make a phone call.

I know a retreat may not be the most satisfying action, but having been in hundreds of very tense shooting/stabbing situations throughout my career, I always tried to be situationally aware and leave myself an exit route. Confronting a person in the woods on your property is no different.

If a violator cut your fence, or just crawled over it, then find or fix that entry location and put an additional no trespassing sign right there. That may be all that’s needed. You let that person know that you know they came in, and that it’s unacceptable for them to do so. As said, placing game cameras there may be a great option for documentation also.

And lastly, we all think we know how we would handle a face-to-face trespassing violation, but we really don’t until it happens. As a police officer, I think CJB would agree that walking into a potentially violent situation can be handled by “What the F*(& are you doing here?” or “Can I help you?” One response can easily escalate the situation and put the trespasser on the defensive, and the other may calm things down just a smidge. The two goals should be 1, to get that person off your property and not have them come back, and 2, get safely back home to your family.

Just my 2 cents
In some ways I am a little different. I am happy to have hunters attempting to thin the herds of deer. So when I spot someone I don't know, I stop then, say hello, explain to them I want them to get more than the largest buck they can find. I am close to offering a bounty on the deer, but afraid of liability. So far this hasn't worked very well, as the hunters are all out to get a rack, not the meat it seems.

I don't have a lot of land, but it is surrounded by plenty.

The problem is I don't hunt myself, I don't care for $1K a pound venison (after purchasing all of the supporting equipment!).
Fishing by others in my new pond I may get upset about, but under no illusions that I wont get poached.
Posted By: JKB Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/16/13 02:03 PM

Shortly after my BIL bought his property, he was out back scoping out deer stand spots. A guy who lives down the road was hunting rabbits. He came up to my BIL with shotgun pointed at him making out like he owns the property and my BIL had to leave. My BIL got really hot and said more than a few choice words and told the guy that he better leave now. The guy did leave and never came back. BIL said it was a pretty tense moment and the adrenaline was really pumping.

I told you the story about this guy (trespasser) He's the one where they were all drunk in his garage when his kid threw a bunch of gun powder in the wood stove. The ensuing fire took out a propane tank, which leveled the garage and blew the north end of their trailer off. It took a few years for the blue tarps to go away that were covering up the end of the trailer. He also has a nice concrete pad where the garage once was.

We have had people drive out back without license plates on their vehicle. My dad and brother chased them off. I have logs and stumps piled up on my road back. You can't see them until you turn the corner. It's also difficult to back out of that situation. I know where everything is, and I would be nervous doing that. Once you get past where the log's and stumps are, it's pretty easy going. I brought my 30' TT out back. Had to use my tractor to pull it (my truck is not that maneuverable) with spotters on each side. It was bugger getting thru that area and around the corner without doing any damage.
Posted By: mpc Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/16/13 02:38 PM
First I want to thank Fireishot for your service. I wish more people respected officers and the law, more than they do.
I do understand to a point where you are coming from although,since I am not in the law enforcement arena,I do not know exactly. The law is a real stickler for those who serve too.
Anyway I would like to say I would just pull back in most or every situation and call you (LE),but sometimes it just does not work out that way. A professional (trained) is always the better choice and I hope I will always be given that choice.
Signs,cameras,and controlled access are all good tools.
I am sure you have seen an "innocent" killed for no real reason, and I guess I would not want to be one of those. Thank God that I live out in Rural East TX. and I do not have to see so much of that(killing,stabbing etc.) every day.
I am thankful too,that my family,friends and neighbors,call or holler.I'll keep you in my prayers for a safe return home every day.
Thanks mpc, but I was a stupid fireman. We usually got there before the police, but boy were we happy to see them show up. Hardest part was convincing a testosterone filled rookie that a blue uniform wouldn't stop a bullet.

To this day I still say thank you when I see an officer.

So true. I know of two cases where conservation officers were killed approaching poachers by themselves. One in Michigan and one in Indiana. So if some of these people have no qualms killing a LEO than a civilian is not a big deal.
Posted By: Sunil Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/16/13 04:03 PM
Cecil, it happened recently in PA too. I think CJ went to school with the officer who was killed.
Cecil, it happened recently in PA too. I think CJ went to school with the officer who was killed.

Yeah I remember when he posted that. So sad.

My dad who was a Green Beret during the Vietnam era always told me the big downside to pulling weapon on someone is you have to be prepared to use it. If you put yourself in a situation where you have to use it and you hesitate it will probably be used against you. He's not a big fan of people that walk around in public places brandishing weapons for that reason.

He also told me the first human being you kill will always stay with you no matter how justified.

Ironically my dad has lost interest in weapons and I couldn't get him to kill any herons for me when i wasn't home when I had a federal permit to do so. Said he killed enough in his lifetime and wasn't going to do it anymore. Needless to say he doen't hunt anymore either.
Posted By: JKB Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/16/13 05:37 PM
We're pretty much cool up at my property having to deal with trouble.

I'll start moving soon, and nothing is more enjoyable than doing my own thing, on my own property!
Lots of good imfo guys i'm amazed at how much atention this thread has goten. thanks alot.
Posted By: mpc Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 03/16/13 08:04 PM
HI FIREISHOT, Anyone who serves deserves Americans respect and support. Firemen,nurses,police officers,National guard,Coast guard and our military all do their part to keep the fabric of America alive and well, so we can do what we want to do and be free doing it. Thanks again.
I have a good friend that is a firefighter, has a second job like most firefighters do, and in short he and his family deserve more,IMO, at the end of the day,but another subject for another time.
Been to A&M a few times doing the Aggie Shuffle as a Refinery Vol fire fighter/ Operator on a CAT Unit. I have a Idea Idea what you do day to day. For me, just a few real life ER responses over 20+yrs of labor.
Today we put in a wireless alert system for the pond it was only twenty bucks, and it's supposed to reach 400 ft the pond is 200 ft from the house and it didn't reach. Is that because of all the trees and wind disrupting the signal? anyhow it doesn't reach the house so I took the alarm to the pond and hid it in a pile of logs now if some one even attempts too get close to my fish the alarm goes off. It already scared away it's first trespasser. I was walking up to the house when I heard the alarm. I ran too see what was happening and their was a guy running as fast as he could down the steep the hill to the rr tracks. I wish I had this system earlier. I've counted about 30 times and I've only seen 3 of my prized big brookies and 16 of my smaller brookies. I originaly stocked 5 big ones and 20 smaller ones.
I sure hope you get it under control. I irks me that someone is taking advantage of your hard work and basicially stealing from you.
BTW Small Pond did you see here where I related how I freaked out a pond owner thinking someone caught a bunch of fish from his pond and just threw them into the woods next to it to decompose? It's kind of funny if you haven't heard it.
No I didn't could you make a link to it. Thankyou.
Posted By: kenc Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 04/04/13 02:06 AM
Smpd, try to get the game warden in the loop. It is probably one of your neighbors that are walking to your pond. Sure hope you are able to stop the SOB'. Take care and good luck.
I'll just tell it again.

The guy that built my house knew someone that had a pond out in a remote area and said it would be O.K. to fish it. So I did. Anyway being a taxidermist and renting from the builder while he was building my house he wasn't too keen on the left over fish carcasses in his dumpster, as they were getting quite ripe. We're talking some big fish as in 15 pound northerns, up to 12 pound walleyes, lots of 4 to 5 pound bass, etc. etc.

So I decided to take the carcasses out to the pond and dump them in the woods adjacent to the pond and let the coons and possums clean 'em up. It didn't take long and there was a padlock on the gate to the pond and a no trespassing sign. Some real serious attempts to keep people out. My thinking is the poor owner seeing the decomposing carcasses thought the fish had been taken out of his pond and just discarded in the woods. Probably got all hot and bothered about it.

The funny part is the fish in the pond were no big deal and nothing like the carcasses.
Thanks for sharing that story cecil. I'd have hated to be the guy finding the dead fish carcasses tho I would have figured it out sooner or later. BTW I came across a fish taxidermy website named baird taxidermy It has to be yours right? If so I loved the coffee table mount. whoever did those mounts is a real pro.
Smpd, try to get the game warden in the loop. It is probably one of your neighbors that are walking to your pond. Sure hope you are able to stop the SOB'. Take care and good luck.
No it's definatly not one of our neighbors most are really nice and are what I call living fossils. They are not in any kind of shape to disturb my pond. Thanks for the advice next time I see fish and boat officer i'll ask him about checking the area once and awhile
Posted By: esshup Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 04/04/13 04:33 AM
I wouldn't wait 'till you see them - give them a call.

That is Cecil's site that you saw.
Posted By: kenc Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 04/04/13 01:18 PM
SMPD, are you sure they didn't walk to your pond? If they came in a vechicle you could get the plate number and the warden could go talk to them. Sometimes that is enough to make them stop. They usually walk in so that people does not tear up their ride. Around here some people(not me) will destroy a vehicle that is trepassing. Call the state board and a game warden will get back to you. You are learning the hard way about property ownership. Don't let the SOB' discourage you. Good luck!! BTW,how old are those fossils? Mid thirties perhaps?
As far as your range on the alarm, antennas can be directional light flashlight beams. Sometimes you have to fart around with the antennas to get the reception.

Does the unit have a specification to list the operating frequency? I can help out if you let me know. If say 2.4GHz, you can remove the included antennas and replace with highly directional ones and then get fantastic range.
I wouldn't wait 'till you see them - give them a call.

That is Cecil's site that you saw.
Thanks I see the officer pretty often but I will give him a call.
SMPD, are you sure they didn't walk to your pond? If they came in a vechicle you could get the plate number and the warden could go talk to them. Sometimes that is enough to make them stop. They usually walk in so that people does not tear up their ride. Around here some people(not me) will destroy a vehicle that is trepassing. Call the state board and a game warden will get back to you. You are learning the hard way about property ownership. Don't let the SOB' discourage you. Good luck!! BTW,how old are those fossils? Mid thirties perhaps?
The living fossils are late 60s to mid 90s. A couple of years ago at the river below my pond a guys car got a dead battery. He was not trespassing, and a couple people that were swimming saw the car. when the guy came back the car was on blocks the windows were smashed, and all of the wires in the motor had been cut. those are the kind of people I have to deal with at my pond.
Posted By: Zep Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 04/04/13 04:59 PM
This is an interesting story about a ranch property burglary in May 2012 out near our place. The deer cam made the arrests possible.

"Van Zandt County Game Wardens Trent Herchman and Steve Stapleton were contacted July 18 by a local ranch owner concerning a unique photograph taken on his remote-sensing game camera.

The photo showed a female subject, who had a very distinct tattoo, holding a white-tailed deer fawn.

The photograph had been taken in May, on the same date and time the ranch had been burglarized and several firearms, miscellaneous hunting equipment and a Polaris Ranger ATV were stolen.

Unable to identify the subject in the photo, wardens conducted a press conference seeking public help in naming the female subject.

Wardens soon received several Operation Game Thief calls, all of which identified the woman in the photo, giving her name. The pair of wardens also received a tip concerning the suspect’s location in Smith County, and went to that location accompanied by Wood County Game Warden Derek Spitzer.

Wardens found the subject at the residence and questioned her. She confessed, and identified her accomplice.

The investigation led to a substantial amount of stolen items being recovered, including three guns and the Ranger ATV.

The case was turned over to the Van Zandt County Sheriff’s Office for prosecution, where burglary of a habitation, trespass and unlawful use of a motor vehicle were filed on all subjects."

The living fossils are late 60s to mid 90s.

Now, be careful! A number of us here resemble that remark! grin

I would guess you are right that it probably isn't one of the fossils.

I was always curious about road signs I saw on the way to/from Sunil's. On the highway, on both sides of the road leading to the "metropolitan area" where his pond is located, there are warning signs that say "DANGER High DUI Accident Area". We always figured it was because of Sunil's and friend's Peroni consumption. But, Sunil explained that the road through the neighborhood to his property has a bad reputation for drugs.

I certainly wouldn't fool around with these people. For about three years, at our previous home not far from here, in what had been a very rural nice area, we went through hell. A number of nasty things happened. It got taken over by the drug trade and all the druggies and low-lifes dealing with them. It stretched over three generations. We regularly had beatings, killings, intimidations, etc. I never left the house without either my shotgun or baseball bat. I spent many sleepless nights at roadblocks in front of our property with Sheriff's deputies and State Police officers. That was 8-10 years ago. The last of this group just got life sentences about two months ago.

When these people were drugged, they didn't care if I was an old fossil with a 12-gauge. They had no fear of death or retribution. They beat people to death, and near death, on a regular basis. They tried to intimidate me night and day -- like driving up to our bedroom window at 2:00 AM while flashing their headlights and honking the horns on their vehicles. Then they'd do circles in my lawn. One cut down a very nice blue spruce from my front yard a few days before Christmas, dragged it to their house, just before he started a year-long sentence on the day after Christmas. I put nothing past the druggies.

I'd call the game wardens and sheriff's office for surveillance. They have training in dealing with these types of people.
Posted By: kenc Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 04/05/13 12:21 AM
Amen to that.
Posted By: JKB Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 04/05/13 12:23 AM
SP,
You probably wont find a wireless device that is capable of 400 feet for 20 bucks. It would be line of sight, so trees would knock it out. Wind won't have any effect. Rain and snow would, so would someone standing in the way.

Pretty much everyone mentioned to call the Sheriff, and there seems to be a delay!

I had a few nephews your age, and they tended to pile on the BS in their younger years, saying stuff happened, when it did not. They are older now, and respect things on the side of facts.

52yo Geezer!
SP,

Pretty much everyone mentioned to call the Sheriff, and there seems to be a delay!

I had a few nephews your age, and they tended to pile on the BS in their younger years, saying stuff happened, when it did not. They are older now, and respect things on the side of facts.

52yo Geezer!
I can asure everyone here that i'm NOT BSING we have called the police all they said is that without good evidence they can't do anything. So basically until we get a picture of someone down their i'm screwed. although we have not called the fish warden yet.
Posted By: kenc Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 04/05/13 01:19 AM
JKB didn't mean that,SMPD. We are allin the same position that you are. Our court system is set up to protect the innocent, therefore you can not be convicted of a crime with only the landowner as the witness. It must be a impartial witness, even your cousin would probably not hold up in court. Just try to get the law to do the work, it takes a long time but it usually works. The old saying, what goes around comes around is correct but is a slow process. JKB was saying that police do not follow up on young people as fast as they may on adults. JKB, ah 52 The beginning to learn to live without my prostate, what wonderful memories.
Small Pond, this place is pretty well geezered to death. Yessir, there are some seriously old goats here.
Yep we should rename the site "On Golden Pond."

Old pond owners never die. They just smell that way.
Maby yall should pass these out at the pond boss confrence grin
Some day you'll be one too Small Pond. grin It happens faster than you think. shocked
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Some day you'll be one too Small Pond. grin It happens faster than you think. shocked
getting old has to be nice at times. The other day when I called my buddy up to go for a walk he said he couldn't cause he was busy...yeah right. So I asked him what he was doing, and he said he was keeping the couch warm.
"You probably wont find a wireless device that is capable of 400 feet for 20 bucks."

Not $20, but I stumbled across an impressive product that provides enterprise class gear at a bargain price. It is Ubitiqui (ubiquiti.com) and they offer an outdoor access point that touts 300M speeds up to 600'. They also offer point-to-point systems to extend internet service for many miles, assuming you can get clear line of sight, comes in 2.4MHZ and 5MHZ.

All the usual disclaimers, found them while trying to get broadband service to my new property.
Maby yall should pass these out at the pond boss confrence

Careful, small pond, you have to remember that age and treachery will overcome youth and skill every time.

By the way, have you considered stocking flathead catfish in your trout pond? I understand from Cecil that they're excellent companion species.
Originally Posted By: Yolk Sac

By the way, have you considered stocking flathead catfish in your trout pond? I understand from Cecil that they're excellent companion species.

Yes very simbiotic. A little know secret they protect the trout from other predators. grin
I don't even think we have flatheads here in pa at least I've never caught one. will cc get along with trout? I've already ordered 10 from rex 'rainman' should I have done that? btw I respect you older ones I woundn't know half of what I do now without your knowledge.
You do realize we were kidding about the flatheads right? They would do such a good job of protecting them from predators because they would eat them before the other predators had a chance to. LOL

I have no experience with channel cats and trout but do know they prefer and do best in warm water. Perhaps Rex knows something I don't.
You do realize we were kidding about the flatheads right? They would do such a good job of protecting them from predators because the would eat them before the other predators had a chance to. LOL
I do now.
I have no experience with channel cats and trout but do know they prefer and do best in warm water. Perhaps Rex knows something I don't.
rex didn't recommend them to me I just wanted another species in my pond, and cc are my 2nd favorite fish. I don't really care if they won't grow much they're just something else to watch.
What ever floats your boat!
You do realize we were kidding about the flatheads right? They would do such a good job of protecting them from predators because the would eat them before the other predators had a chance to. LOL
I do now

See what I mean, small pond? Never trust anyone over 30.
I nearly changed my screen name to "TOD", Treacherous Old Dude", but reconsidered; coming from yolk sac, folks here might think I was putting on airs.
Small Pond, there are flatheads in PA. They are native to the western part of the state(Mississippi drainage) and have been introduce into the Delaware River drainage and possibly Susquehanna drainage as well.

For a number of years my dad's friend raised both CC and trout in the same pond. The CC survived, but their growth rates were hampered. He built a couple new ponds and has since began raising CC in a different pond. The trout now have their own home. There are still a couple of overgrown and insanely smart CC left in his trout pond. They somehow avoid hooks, arrows, nets, bullets, bird shot and every other attempt to kill them. HAHA
You don't get old by being stupid. A few get lucky though.
Posted By: esshup Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 04/07/13 04:33 PM
Looking back at some of the things that I've done, I consider myself to be in the lucky group.........
Posted By: JKB Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 04/07/13 05:56 PM
Looking back at some of the things that I've done, I consider myself to be in the lucky group.........

Lucky, or that God had to assign more Angles to watch over your butt than is normally required wink
I resemble this remark...

I'm thinking that fortunate is a better word.
Posted By: esshup Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 04/07/13 07:19 PM

Lucky, or that God had to assign more Angles to watch over your butt than is normally required wink

I agree, but I think it was a combination of Angels and luck in more than one instance with me. There were some instances.............. I can't put my finger on what exactly it was right now, but one of the times I thought "A second difference in time would have put me *there* and I'd be dead now."
Posted By: JKB Re: how can i keep away a human kind of scum? - 04/07/13 11:57 PM

I agree, but I think it was a combination of Angels and luck in more than one instance with me. There were some instances.............. I can't put my finger on what exactly it was right now, but one of the times I thought "A second difference in time would have put me *there* and I'd be dead now."

Those seconds really count some times! Yep!
© Pond Boss Forum