Pond Boss
Posted By: CJBS2003 Some prayers... - 06/17/12 06:16 AM
My wife and I are down here in FL bringing the baby down to see family. Anyways, my wife began feeling ill a few days ago and today she finally threw the hat in and decided she needed to see a doctor. After going to the local community clinic, the doctor there was concerned enough to send her on to the ER. She has now been admitted. They are still running blood tests and others to determine exactly what is causing the illness. Anyways, I'd appreciate any thoughts and prayers you all may have for her. Not the way I wanted to spend my first father's day as a dad, but as long as my wife pulls through OK, I'll be one happy grateful guy!
Posted By: NCMike Re: Some prayers... - 06/17/12 09:25 AM
Wow thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family!
Posted By: wpr100 Re: Some prayers... - 06/17/12 09:32 AM
You got em! Prayers, that is.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Some prayers... - 06/17/12 09:55 AM
Sounds like Wife and baby are both in good hands. Prayers coming.
Posted By: esshup Re: Some prayers... - 06/17/12 11:17 AM
Prayers sent Travis! I hope they get it diagnosed quickly.
Posted By: Freedomeagle Re: Some prayers... - 06/17/12 11:27 AM
Travis,
Done and we will add her to our prayer list at church today as well. Please give me a call if there is anything Susan or I can do for you back home.
Posted By: JKB Re: Some prayers... - 06/17/12 11:34 AM
Prayers sent CJ.
Posted By: Bossone Re: Some prayers... - 06/17/12 11:53 AM
More prayers on the way; BTW congrats on your first Fathers Day!!!
Posted By: MarkECIN Re: Some prayers... - 06/17/12 12:12 PM
Prayers too. She will be fine. Some people get really deadly sick from flying (I for one do). And congratulations on Father Day.
Posted By: Mike Schmitt Re: Some prayers... - 06/17/12 12:37 PM
Done.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Some prayers... - 06/17/12 01:43 PM
Prayers for sure Travis. I imagine it's frustrating simply not knowing. Hopefully they discover what it is so they can address it and get her out the door soon.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Some prayers... - 06/17/12 02:44 PM
Stay strong!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Some prayers... - 06/17/12 03:31 PM
Sending Hudson family thoughts your way...keep us apprised.
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Some prayers... - 06/17/12 03:46 PM
Players from E AL. Stay positive...
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Some prayers... - 06/17/12 04:51 PM
Sure thing CJ we pray for quick diaganosis and recovery.
Posted By: ozarkstriperscom Re: Some prayers... - 06/17/12 04:55 PM
Sorry to hear that Travis. We will definetley keep you and yours in our thoughts and prayers. Please keep us all posted.
Posted By: spinnerbait Re: Some prayers... - 06/17/12 06:45 PM
Thoughts and prayers to you guys. Hope you can report back soon of a speedy recovery!!!
Posted By: FullCircleTx Re: Some prayers... - 06/17/12 07:00 PM
Prayers have been said for a quick diagnosis and easy recovery!
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Some prayers... - 06/17/12 07:12 PM
Thoughts and hopes for things to be progressing okay.
Posted By: jludwig Re: Some prayers... - 06/17/12 07:23 PM
Prayers sent.
Posted By: ewest Re: Some prayers... - 06/18/12 01:22 AM
Hope she is better and gets out quick. Keep us posted.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Some prayers... - 06/18/12 02:47 AM
edited
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Some prayers... - 06/18/12 03:00 AM
Travis sorry I missed this but I'm glad you know what it is and she is dong better. I once got very severe food poisoning at a really nice restaurant so you never can tell. It was so bad I was deathly ill within a few minutes of eating a hamburger. Blew my perfect attendance at a work place as I came in anyway but couldn't control my bowels and had to go back home.

My niece got hepatitus so bad she had to be admitted to Riley Hospital. We think she got it from a church camp as they were punished by making them eat off of dirty dishes. Duh!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Some prayers... - 06/18/12 12:09 PM
Glad to hear you guys are on top of it!
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Some prayers... - 06/18/12 01:55 PM
Travis, always good to get needed information! I assume the medical folks told you that there are hepatitis A and B vaccines available for the rest of the family. I'm not advising, just providing a bit of info. :-)
Posted By: Rainman Re: Some prayers... - 06/18/12 02:40 PM
Hopefully the diagnosis is spot on and all is great again soon Trav!!!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Some prayers... - 06/18/12 02:45 PM
Thank goodness, T - I almost called you last night but thought you had enough on your hands than dealing with my prodding.

On a lighter side: This is probably the first time any of us will say, "I'm grateful the power of positive thoughts/prayer gave my wife Hepatitus A."

Travis, can you name the offending organism? I'm guessing oyster - but guess it could really be anything.
Posted By: ewest Re: Some prayers... - 06/18/12 03:26 PM
I would bet it is an oyster or clam or a bay area fish.

Did find this.

"Hepatitis A is one type of hepatitis - a liver disease - caused by the hepatitis A virus (HAV). The disease is spread primarily through food or water contaminated by stool from an infected person. You can get HAV from

Eating food prepared by someone with HAV who did not wash their hands after using the bathroom
Having anal/oral sex with someone with HAV
Not washing your hands after changing a diaper
Drinking contaminated water
HAV can cause swelling of the liver, but it rarely causes lasting damage. You may feel as if you have the flu, or you may have no symptoms at all. It usually gets better on its own after several weeks.

The hepatitis A vaccine can prevent HAV. Healthy habits also make a difference. Wash your hands thoroughly before preparing food, after using the toilet or after changing a diaper. International travelers should be careful about drinking tap water."
Source :
NIH: National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases

Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Some prayers... - 06/18/12 06:59 PM
edited
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Some prayers... - 06/18/12 08:51 PM
One thing to keep it mind is a lot of fish, shellfish, and shrimp from many third world and even more advanced countries does not have the rigorous protection measures (HACCP), restrictions on antibiotics, and production facility limitations that are required here in the USA. You have no idea what you are getting from some of these countries as in one fish farm I saw where human sewage was actually part of fertilization routine of the numerous ponds, or workers live on the water and their waste was going into a side channel that connects to the hundreds of pond on the property.

Country of Origin labels are required now on all seafood products now, and it's a good idea to look at them (although some supermarkets remove them or repackage seafood products and don't label them.)
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Some prayers... - 06/18/12 09:21 PM
Eric: I'll wager dollars to donuts that's the last time I ever witness you typing something so racey. I'm sure it won't be long until JHAP chimes in...like a dinner bell in his world.

Travis and Cecil: Good thoughts here on Hep A vaccination and also origin of seafood. I have never considered doing that, but I will from this point on. Thankfully all we ever buy is ocean caught, not farm raised - so that might minimize some of the risks you're raising.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Some prayers... - 06/18/12 10:28 PM
Travis,

I'm glad to hear they found what it was. I'm sure it was really scary. A co-worker had that same problem last winter and it was a day before she went to the emergency room. It really had her down for a few days, and it took a couple of weeks for her to regain her energy. They too figured it was either from improperly cleaned vegetables or unwashed food handler's hands.

I hope your trip back home will be uneventful and your wife is feeling a lot better.

Regards,
Ken
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Some prayers... - 06/18/12 11:08 PM
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Eric: I'll wager dollars to donuts that's the last time I ever witness you typing something so racey. I'm sure it won't be long until JHAP chimes in...like a dinner bell in his world.

Travis and Cecil: Good thoughts here on Hep A vaccination and also origin of seafood. I have never considered doing that, but I will from this point on. Thankfully all we ever buy is ocean caught, not farm raised - so that might minimize some of the risks you're raising.

But keep in mind U.S. farm raised is safe (more and more is raised indoors also). It's some of the overseas markets you have to worry about. And just because it's wild caught does not mean anything if they don't freeze it properly or follow sanitary conditions for cleaning.
Posted By: JKB Re: Some prayers... - 06/18/12 11:39 PM
Hey CJ! Glad to see everything is working out. Have a safe trip home smile
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: Some prayers... - 06/19/12 02:13 AM
Hey Travis, haven't been on in a while , saw your post and glad to hear your wife will be fine, probably really gave you a scare, hope she's out of the hospital and feeling better.
Larry
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Some prayers... - 06/19/12 10:40 AM
This series of posts reminds me of my thoughts about sushi.
© Pond Boss Forum