Pond Boss
Posted By: JKB I hope the local weather guys are wrong! - 02/20/11 05:21 AM
Gonna get hit again!

Depending on which station you listen to, could get up to 14", then freezing rain up to about 1", then more snow mad

This past week was like mid March! Certainly a teaser season!

Ice really sucks!

Contrary to popular belief, we up in the northern states, dont like this crap, but live with it.

I am all for artificial environments grin
Posted By: esshup Re: I hope the local weather guys are wrong! - 02/20/11 03:23 PM
There's about a quarter inch of snow/ice balls sitting on the roads right now. It's supposed to bounce between snow and rain all day today.
It was snowing like crazy a few minutes ago here. Now that's let up and I'm not sure what it's doing.
Posted By: JKB Re: I hope the local weather guys are wrong! - 02/20/11 05:27 PM
The latest computer model has us downgraded to 5.1" of snow. All the heavy snow is to the north, and all the ice is to the south.

Much better than what they were saying last night. smile
Not so lucky here. The weatherman was right. Heavy snow this morning, stopped for a while, but re-started this afternoon. Maybe 9 inches so far, after that nice melt. The rain/ice was about 50 miles south of us.
Posted By: JKB Re: I hope the local weather guys are wrong! - 02/20/11 10:38 PM
I think their computer model is wrong. It started snowing about 1:45PM today. I just measured the new snow on my truck hood, 4-1/2 inches so far. I'ts really coming down, and has been since it started. Visibility is about 150 yards or so. New radar images and forecast say we may have another 6-8 hours of this stuff, then it tapers off.. On the bright side, it is fluffy snow, and not wet as previously forecast.
Originally Posted By: JKB
I think their computer model is wrong. It started snowing about 1:45PM today.

Yeesh! About 90 minutes ago I was working outside. It was 43 degrees. Then it started snowing. It is now 31 degrees, and snowing fairly heavy. The ground warmed up over the last couple of days, so it is not yet sticking.

I'm sure glad I didn't take the chains and snow blade off the tractor.

No precipitation was in the forecast until late tomorrow night -- and that was supposed to be rain!
Posted By: Rainman Re: I hope the local weather guys are wrong! - 02/21/11 01:02 AM
Sunny and 71 in St Louie today...nicest day of the year!
Posted By: ewest Re: I hope the local weather guys are wrong! - 02/21/11 02:13 AM
We have been having an early spring the last week. Sunny and 70s.
It's not doing squat here and hasn't for several hours. They are calling for freezing rain that jumps back and forth to sleet, rain, snow etc. Sounds like it must be a complex system to predict.

I'll be leaving for Tampa/St.Pete, Largo Florida Tuesday evening for four days. The weather should be an improvement there. wink Wish me luck. grin
Posted By: JKB Re: I hope the local weather guys are wrong! - 02/21/11 03:53 AM
Good luck on your trip.

I was also thinking they were having a more difficult than usual time predicting this storm.

We got about 9" so far. It rained about an hour ago for about 10 minutes, then back to snow. The latest radar had the freezing rain shifting to the north heading my way. With the snow cover, freezing rain is not an issue, except for power outages. They haven't plowed our road yet. The next best guess is another 4 to 7" by 7AM.
Posted By: esshup Re: I hope the local weather guys are wrong! - 02/21/11 06:12 AM
Have a safe drive Cecil! Don't take the cold weather with you!!
Originally Posted By: esshup
Have a safe drive Cecil! Don't take the cold weather with you!!

No driving. I'm flying round trip for a total of about $120.00. I've driven down several times and don't really want to anymore. grin

Just me too! The wife has to work and I've roped the German exchange student to take the dog out when he comes home from school.

I'd like to visit the Epcott Center and take a gander at their Aquaponics set up, but my dad doesn't want to drive up there. Says it's only a two lane highway and very crowded and dangerous. Everyone else is puzzled what he's talking about. grin Oh well it will be good to visit with them.
Posted By: ewest Re: I hope the local weather guys are wrong! - 02/21/11 03:00 PM
Have a good trip Cecil.
Don't forget the sunscreen.
Sounds like your wife gets a vacation too. grin
Posted By: ewest Re: I hope the local weather guys are wrong! - 02/21/11 03:42 PM
AP --- laugh - laugh - laugh - grin
Posted By: esshup Re: I hope the local weather guys are wrong! - 02/21/11 07:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
I'd like to visit the Epcott Center and take a gander at their Aquaponics set up, but my dad doesn't want to drive up there. Says it's only a two lane highway and very crowded and dangerous. Everyone else is puzzled what he's talking about. grin Oh well it will be good to visit with them.

Aw Geeze, send him into Chicago and have him drive from South to North starting around 3:30 p.m. Central time. I don't think he'd complain about the traffic down there any more. All you have to worry about is headless drivers, right?
Posted By: Bing Re: I hope the local weather guys are wrong! - 02/21/11 08:02 PM
Cecil: That sounds like the way my father used to talk, especially about driving if Florida, Florida roads were always the busiest, fastest and most congested and dangerous roads in America. I think that if you get behind the wheel the road will widen, traffic will ease up and you will love Epcot.
Originally Posted By: Bing
Cecil: That sounds like the way my father used to talk, especially about driving if Florida, Florida roads were always the busiest, fastest and most congested and dangerous roads in America. I think that if you get behind the wheel the road will widen, traffic will ease up and you will love Epcot.

He controls the wheels and I doubt I'll get behind the wheel of his Mercedes anyway. grin Not a problem as it will be great to visit with them and enjoy the temps. It's 15 F. here with several inches of fresh snow. I'll be in shock at the difference!
Posted By: JKB Re: I hope the local weather guys are wrong! - 02/22/11 05:03 AM
I've been to Florida once.

Had to change planes in Miami to get to Puerto Rico. (stupid agent) Travelling with a guy from Westinghouse to go to one of their plants. He wanted some chewing gum, and I wanted a pop, so I headed out. Not enough change in my pocket for the vending machines so had to get some more change.

I walked into sorta a bar type place at the airport, and as soon as I walked in, I knew something was wrong...

I will never go to Florida again... NO Way!!!... That was scary!!!... Got my change and ran like hell...
Posted By: Sunil Re: I hope the local weather guys are wrong! - 02/22/11 03:26 PM
I think we got about 8" of snow last night.
Posted By: JKB Re: I hope the local weather guys are wrong! - 02/22/11 03:48 PM
We ended up with about 10".
At least it was not wet, easy to clean up.
The freezing rain kept it from drifting when the winds hit later that night.
Another round of snow for this weekend.
Sounds perfectly awful.
Posted By: Sunil Re: I hope the local weather guys are wrong! - 02/22/11 06:01 PM
Just life in the great North....

The 65 degree or so temps we had last week were just a slap in the face.
Posted By: JKB Re: I hope the local weather guys are wrong! - 02/22/11 08:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Sounds perfectly awful.

Not really bad Dave. You should come up here and make some Snow Angles smile

Anybody in the North will say that wind really sucks! It could be as cold as you had it, but wind chill and snow, will guarantee that hell will never freeze over!

I can go outside of the plowed areas up here and dig in the dirt as easy as I could anytime of the year. Snow insulates the ground, just have to move the snow. Ground rarely freezes up here!

I cleaned up under a big pine earlier today, to remove some snow buildup, and it was all slush under the snow. Now, it will probably freeze.

Not really bad Dave.

Another few weeks or so and I should be able to rip trees out of the ground, roots and all! Easiest way to get rid of trees.

March and October work up here when the ground is saturated.

I got a lot of trees to go!
Posted By: JKB Re: I hope the local weather guys are wrong! - 02/22/11 09:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Sunil
Just life in the great North....

The 65 degree or so temps we had last week were just a slap in the face.

Last week was a teaser for sure! Hit 54 here and quite a bit melted. I am sure people to the west of here have some good stories. Lake Michigan plays a major role on our weather.
We get a nasty wind chill here too. Our storms seem to come out of the Rockies with 30 mph winds. Usually, ours is ice with a nice snow topping.

However, it is usually gone in 3 or 4 days.
JKB,

The wife and I had a stop in Miami on the way back home one time. After seeing Miami on TV -- CSI Miami etc. I was flabbergasted that the terminal was a dump!

It's in the upper 70's to low 80's here. Supposed to get 4 to 8 inches and possibly up to 12 more inches of snow in Indiana the day before I get back!
Posted By: esshup Re: I hope the local weather guys are wrong! - 02/24/11 04:55 PM
Cecil, you coming back on Sat? The bulk of the snow is supposed to hit tonight. The storm track is just South of me, but it angles NE so your house should get whacked a bit worse than me. With the winds, it might be interesting getting thru your driveway if the winds are from the South.
Posted By: JKB Re: I hope the local weather guys are wrong! - 02/24/11 05:30 PM
JKB,

The wife and I had a stop in Miami on the way back home one time. After seeing Miami on TV -- CSI Miami etc. I was flabbergasted that the terminal was a dump!

It's in the upper 70's to low 80's here. Supposed to get 4 to 8 inches and possibly up to 12 more inches of snow in Indiana the day before I get back!

Wash your hands, really, really well if you visit Miami Airport. And don't touch anything while you are there, then wash your hands again just to be on the safe side.

I gotta go and clean more snow up before the new batch arrives eek
Posted By: JKB Re: I hope the local weather guys are wrong! - 02/25/11 10:49 PM
Never got hit. It went south of here grin

Looking at mud for a little bit now shocked

Gonna have to go out and clear up the 275 ft lead to my driveway that dont have gravel down.

I came back an hour or so ago and it was a 4WD mud bog out front.

Bet my test holes have some water this year.
Cecil, you coming back on Sat? The bulk of the snow is supposed to hit tonight. The storm track is just South of me, but it angles NE so your house should get whacked a bit worse than me. With the winds, it might be interesting getting thru your driveway if the winds are from the South.

I got back Friday evening at 6:40 P.M. I was told we got 5 inches Thursday morning. What a difference in weather after 1 hour and 40 minutes of flight! One thing that amazed me was a paint chip that was barely attached on the top surface of the wing. Even going over 600 mph it never broke off! That just defied logic to me.
One thing that amazed me was a paint chip that was barely attached on the top surface of the wing. Even going over 600 mph it never broke off! That just defied logic to me.

I guess that's one way to pass the time in a flying cattle truck. laugh grin
Posted By: esshup Re: I hope the local weather guys are wrong! - 02/26/11 07:35 PM
I'll bet it was in a low velocity area on the wing.
Posted By: JKB Re: I hope the local weather guys are wrong! - 02/26/11 07:53 PM

They just use good paint, seriously!

And it is prepped up really well before application.

If it was flaking a bit, it was a maintenance issue.
Another 4 to 8 inches tonight after the 10 inches we got yesterday. Calling for sleet and freezing rain on Monday.
Just another day in Paradise. crazy
Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
One thing that amazed me was a paint chip that was barely attached on the top surface of the wing. Even going over 600 mph it never broke off! That just defied logic to me.

I guess that's one way to pass the time in a flying cattle truck. laugh grin

Do you really think I watched a paint chip the whole flight? Wait, don't answer that! blush

The truth be know I was reading a good book.

Must have been.
I'm just back from 9 days in Hilton Head, SC, and we enjoyed the best weather we've ever had for our annual winter break trip there - mid to upper 70s all week with just a splash of rain yesterday morning. While we were gone, it was evidently nasty and rainy here, with a little snow mixed in, though no accumulation. One of my friends ran by the farm and told me that the ice is totally gone from the ponds. I'm heading out there tomorrow to check things out and start some grand planning for projects I want to tackle this year. I'll post on those in another topic under the Miscellaneous Projects thread.
Dry as a bone in in the Largo/St. Pete area and high seventies to low 80's for highs. We did see some Sea Fog suddenly blow in while dining outside at a restaurant. It almost looked like snow showers coming in!

I got within 5 feet of GBH's. No fear of humans on the wharfs. I asked one if I knew him from somewhere. wink

laugh

I didn't know they had windows to view the bottom of the wing. shocked wink
Coulda been a Saab 340 high wing turboprop! Though those don't make 600 mph!
I've always been partial to the Mitsubishi MU2. grin
Your cabin fever days are numbered, Gentlemen. Our willows are leafing out, the comorants are returning to you and the robins are far fewer. Spring is on the way.
I've always been partial to the Mitsubishi MU2. grin

Definitely a hot rod with few peers, but must be exceedingly careful to fly by the numbers of that one will bite you in a big way! Actually saw one immediately prior to crash on Hilton Head a number of years ago. We were leaving for home and had stopped to get gas when I noticed it too low and slow relative to where the airport is on the island. A few minutes later, a string of emergency vehicles went by and I later learned the plane had gone down on a golf course where the pilot tried to make an emergency landing on a par 5. It didn't go well and the plane caught fire, killing him. Now a Commander 1000 retrofitted with the Garrett engine conversion is a thing of beauty, too!
Yeah the MU-2 was a clean machine, it didn't use ailerons, instead it had spoilers for roll control and with the high wing loading you had to stay ahead of it, but a beautiful aircraft.
Of course it's always a sound practice to stay ahead of ANY aircraft, but that one seemed to have a nasty habit of biting those who failed to follow that wisdom.
Posted By: esshup Re: I hope the local weather guys are wrong! - 02/27/11 04:34 AM

I didn't know they had windows to view the bottom of the wing. shocked wink

You don't know the strange places Cecil puts his head!. laugh

Yeah, I got my ups and downs backwards. (or fast and slow)
© Pond Boss Forum