Pond Boss
Posted By: CJBS2003 Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/08/10 11:17 PM
Over the years I have fished with a lot of people... Some who were fishing for the first time and others who knew far more about fishing than I ever will. Many couldn't go fishing without a beer in their hand...

So of you on here who consider yourself fisherman, would you say you are a non-alcohol drinking fisherman, a I'll drink the occasional brew while fishing or the, if I don't have a beer in my hand while fishing, then there ain't no point in fishing type fisherman?
Posted By: heybud Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/08/10 11:27 PM
Well CJ I have to say I have a lot of beer when I go fishing. But I'm an old man and have been trained in the Sunil school of fishing. But I absolutely don't drink and drive.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/08/10 11:30 PM
I suppose I'd fall into the occasional drink while fishing, though it all depends on what we're fishing for. Most of the time I'm throwing and reeling so there's no time to have a beer. But if I'm camping and watching a rod, hoping it'll bend with a catfish at the end of it, then I'll probably crack open a brew.

Our state parks have been "alcohol free" for years, but it's about to be allowed. Honestly, even though I do prefer the occasional drink while fishing/camping, I wish the ban would continue. No one, to my knowledge, has ever been busted simply because they were drinking a beer, but something else they were doing. I believe the ban gives our law enforcement officers a tool. They don't need to give some explanation. If you're drinking that's reason enough. But now I suppose it gets complicated.
Posted By: Zep Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/09/10 12:11 AM
I'm with Omaha. Bass fishing leaves me little
time for drinking. To me bass fishing is more
busy and serious, but in a fun way. So I almost
never drink when bass fishing. But if I am fishing
for catfish, carp, or watching a bobber...sure I'll
have a sip...or two. wink

Posted By: Gflo Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/09/10 12:18 AM
Having a beer while fishing has actually never crossed my mind. I might have to try that next time I target carp. smile
Posted By: txelen Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/09/10 12:42 AM
I've never drank while fishing, but then, most of my fishing is on public lakes where that isn't allowed. I also target bass/musky. Drinking and throwing a 3 ounce topraider on an 8' rod would be... challenging.
Posted By: Clayton Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/09/10 12:45 AM
I only fish and drink alcohol on days that end in the letter "y".

All kidding aside, the thought of drinking while fishing has never crossed my mind. I'm normally having too much fun think about popping a top.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/09/10 12:49 AM
It all depends. I'm often there at daybreak. At that time, I don't always drink beer.
Posted By: esshup Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/09/10 12:57 AM
I'm usually too busy catching to think about opening a beer. Heck, I'd probably have to make a special trip to the store just to get a beer to have while fishing.

I fall into your first catagory. I can't remember the last time I had alcohol when fishing. A 6 pack will last me at least a month here at the house.

Ken, the beer that we bought for my buddy at Costco lasted less than 3 weeks.....
Posted By: Rainman Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/09/10 01:01 AM
I've had too many poles get yanked unnoticed by CC into the water while partaking of adult beverages. Like the otheres here, if casting much, I'd rather fish.
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/09/10 01:05 AM
I rarely ever drink alcohol, or anything for that matter, while fishing. Just too much going on to do so. Now, afterward I'm not adverse to sipping one or two!
Posted By: ewest Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/09/10 01:15 AM
Something about alcohol and hooks in the same boat sounds painful. cry
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/09/10 01:34 AM
Well, I like beer and I like fising. One reason I dont have a $30,000 bass boat and $50,000 truck to pull it. It just cuts into the beer money too much. That's why I have a pond. The best time to consume the beer though, is after cleaning fish, and while they are in, then out of the hot grease.
Ya'll that are too busy while bass fishing on public lakes to consume a beer............what is your guide service fee? Where do I sign up?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/09/10 01:15 PM
I'm not a big fan of alcohol and may have a couple of beers a year. Just don't like the taste usually, which could be a good thing as alcoholism runs on my mother's side. For some reason I get a taste for a beer a couple of times a year and that's it.

I have no problem with people drinking as long as they do it in moderation. When it gets past that on public waters it becomes a danger to them and others.

We have a problem in my area on the public lakes with boaters (usually not anglers) getting soused on weekends (especially holiday weekends), and it gets pretty scary on the water. We've had people killed by drunk boaters in our area, and of course some drowned. I stay away from the public boater lakes on the weekends and holidays anymore. Just to dangerous. Thank God I have my ponds!
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/09/10 01:33 PM
If I feel the need for a beer, I'll drink one - fishing, golfing, yard work, TV will not get in the way. wink
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/09/10 01:35 PM
If I'm pole fishing I usually don't drink unless it's an all day fishing trip then usually I will drink a couple as the suns setting. On te other hand if I'm jug fishing or running lines I take a full cooler.
Posted By: rcooked Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/09/10 02:30 PM
Been known to have a cold one here and there, but not while fishing. Too many things going on anyways.

Plus, I hate the cost - it's that many less fish I can stock smile

I'm cheap.
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/09/10 03:49 PM
I only drink if im fishing by myself or with other people.

-skinny
Posted By: Rainman Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/09/10 05:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Todd3138
I rarely ever drink alcohol, or anything for that matter, while fishing. Just too much going on to do so. Now, afterward I'm not adverse to sipping one or two!

+1 smile
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/09/10 09:29 PM
I had just about quit beer drinking until I went to Seattle for the summer. It must be the micro brew capitol of the US. So, I started trying different ones, a lot of different ones.
The bet of the bunch, to me, was from Wisconsin.

The name is Leinenkugels. I tried several types and the classic amber was the best. I'm having trouble getting it here so I'm back to the King of Beers.
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/09/10 10:58 PM
Come and visit, Dave. Leinie's is a mainstay up here. smile
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/09/10 11:59 PM
It would darn sure be worth the trip.
Posted By: brier Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/10/10 12:11 AM
As far as I am concerned, there is fishing, and there is catfishing. When I am fishing, no beer, too much activity to fool with drinking. When I go catfishing, an all night event, If I had to choose between beer, and bait, I would bring the beer. Heck if I had extra beer, I could probably barter for bait around 2 am.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/10/10 12:45 AM
Originally Posted By: brier
As far as I am concerned, there is fishing, and there is catfishing. When I am fishing, no beer, too much activity to fool with drinking. When I go catfishing, an all night event, If I had to choose between beer, and bait, I would bring the beer. Heck if I had extra beer, I could probably barter for bait around 2 am.

laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: RobA Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/10/10 12:45 AM
I never drink while fishing. I'm in West Virginia right now on a 3-day fishing trip. Got on the water today at 8:30am and didn't drink all day. However, I am back at the hotel and enjoying my 4th beer... or is it my 5th?... I'm not sure. But there probably will be a 6th...
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/10/10 01:04 AM
Hey, RobA, where in the Mountain State are you? Don't worry - it's a school night for the kids and I have a full schedule tomorrow so I'm not going to try to come steal your beer!
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/10/10 01:38 AM
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1

The name is Leinenkugels. I tried several types and the classic amber was the best. I'm having trouble getting it here so I'm back to the King of Beers.

Yeesh! Spending my first 22 years in Wisconsin -- a state where 18 year-olds could legally walk into a bar,and anyone who could drive or get driven to a bar, could walk in and get served -- Leinenkugel's was not the beer of choice -- even as under-aged drinkers.

We had Northern, Fitger's, Brunig's, Blatz, and a few other local brews that went national, like Hamms, Schlitz, and Pabst.

Leinenkugel's had a two-word nick-name I can't possibly write here without being moderated. It was based on the picture in the center of the old label -- half vulgar racial slur, and half just-plain nasty vulgar. Totally nasty.

I've not had a Leinies in years. But, it wasn't a pleasant beer.

For it to have survived all the other better breweries -- somebody must like it. But, then there are a lot of really nasty Pennsylvania beers that survived, and I like a lot of them.

Burping and Gurgling,
Ken

P.S. If anyone wants to send me a case, or two, of beer from your local area, I'll be glad to evaluate it.
Posted By: RobA Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/10/10 01:42 AM
Hey, RobA, where in the Mountain State are you?

I'm staying in Moorefield. Fished on the South Branch of the Potomac near Petersburg today. I've been coming to this area to fish for the past 15 years.
Posted By: esshup Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/10/10 01:43 AM
Ken, Illinois was just like Wisconsin regarding drinking age. I hit it just right. When they changed the regs to 21, I was good to go.

You forgot one of the Wisconsin staples - Point Beer!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/10/10 01:43 AM
Leinenkugel is not a microbrew though.

We can send as much to you as you need, Guv.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/10/10 01:52 AM
Ken, I place no credibility in the opinion of anyone who eats things that can't even be pronounced and I suspect are temporarily buried to ripen.

I just found out that there are a couple of local Leinie distributors around here. I'll be checking with them.

BTW, I think Lone Star Beer, the State beer of Texas, is terrible tasting stuff. Like the old time Jax, it tastes worse going down that it does coming up.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/10/10 02:02 AM
Egad! I got so carried away by Dave's praise of Leinenkugels', I forgot to report . . .

In the last 50 years, I've spent immeasurable hours in waders, kayaks, canoes, small boats, big boats, and on ships. To me, the quest for a fish dinner just isn't worth the risks involved with alcohol induced fishing -- and I love beer!

I'm a long ways from being a teetotaler. From unfortunate experience, I'd have to say that risk shouldn't trump death.

For me, alcohol doesn't start until the beer battering for the catch-of-the-day is ready for cooking. At least in my mind, alcohol doesn't start until we are off the water and the fish are cleaned -- unless we are well over the age of consent -- over 80, over 90, over 100.

Don't call me mature,
Ken
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/10/10 02:07 AM
Any of you guys like Rolling Rock, my dad use to love that beer but other relatives thought it tasted like pee. If we all had the same taste I guess it would be pretty boring, that's what I tell my wife when I eat Jello with can milk. sick
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/10/10 02:17 AM
Originally Posted By: RobA

I'm staying in Moorefield. Fished on the South Branch of the Potomac near Petersburg today. I've been coming to this area to fish for the past 15 years.

When are you heading back? I won't be home from work until late (tomorrow) Friday night, and I have to pick up one of my grand daughters mid-Saturday morning in Winchester.

But, if Saturday afternoon, or Sunday afternoon are available -- maybe we could have a fish fry. You bring the fish, or just goodwill, and we'll provide all the rest. I'm just off US 50, about 2 miles from Capon Bridge, and about 20 minutes from Moorefield/Petersburg.

Regards,
Ken
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/10/10 02:46 AM
Originally Posted By: esshup
Ken, Illinois was just like Wisconsin regarding drinking age. I hit it just right. When they changed the regs to 21, I was good to go.

You forgot one of the Wisconsin staples - Point Beer!

I was closer to Michigan when it was 18 in Michigan. I didn't go to drink though. I went to meet girls. blush
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/10/10 02:50 AM
Originally Posted By: RobA

Fantastic! A buddy and I are thinking about a late September canoe-camping float trip for a couple of days over on that section of the river, probably through the Trough area. I may have to get in touch with you for some thoughts on that sort of trip since you've been fishing there for so long. I'm a couple of hours away and don't know the area as well as some closer to home, but there's always water there. Have a great time!
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/10/10 02:33 PM
DD, if you like a good amber, and want to try a made in Texas one, get one from your King of Beers. Now, I cant take Bud, but Zeigenbock, made by Bud plant here is nice. Try it. Hard to find, though, unless you go to a Specs or similar. Abita Springs, from LA, is also good.
Posted By: Bullhead Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/10/10 04:02 PM
Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
Any of you guys like Rolling Rock, my dad use to love that beer but other relatives thought it tasted like pee. If we all had the same taste I guess it would be pretty boring, that's what I tell my wife when I eat Jello with can milk. sick

I love Rolling Rock. How did they know what pee tastes like?
Posted By: Omaha Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/10/10 04:06 PM
Rolling Rock does taste like pee. And I prefer not to divulge how I know this. laugh
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/10/10 04:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Omaha
Rolling Rock does taste like pee. And I prefer not to divulge how I know this. laugh

And to think all this time I've been wondering where they sent the urine samples for testing.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/10/10 06:53 PM
Rolling Rock used to be brewed about 10 miles from where I live.

I can't stand it, at all, and pee is a good word to describe what I think it tastes like. No offense to those who like it though.
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/10/10 08:46 PM
Originally Posted By: Sunil
I can't stand it, at all, and pee is a good word to describe what I think it tastes like. No offense to those who like it though.

No offense to those who like what? Pee? Or Rolling Rock? grin
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/10/10 10:17 PM
Hey don't knock drinking pee. The Survivor Man has used it to save him from dehydration from time to time! whistle
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/10/10 10:21 PM
In the immortal words of Ace Ventura, Pet Detective, "well, alrighty then!" grin
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/10/10 10:31 PM
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Hey don't knock drinking pee. The Survivor Man has used it to save him from dehydration from time to time! whistle

Some basement fish have to swim in it. grin
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/10/10 10:43 PM

Some basement fish have to swim in it. grin

You just can't leave that alone can you! grin
Posted By: RobA Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/11/10 12:21 AM
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
When are you heading back? I won't be home from work until late (tomorrow) Friday night, and I have to pick up one of my grand daughters mid-Saturday morning in Winchester.

But, if Saturday afternoon, or Sunday afternoon are available -- maybe we could have a fish fry. You bring the fish, or just goodwill, and we'll provide all the rest. I'm just off US 50, about 2 miles from Capon Bridge, and about 20 minutes from Moorefield/Petersburg.

Regards,
Ken

Thanks! That's kind of you and it would have been nice to meet a fellow pondmeister. Unfortunately, I'm leaving right after we get off the river tomorrow late in the afternoon. I've got a 4-1/2 hour drive back to PA.

Fantastic! A buddy and I are thinking about a late September canoe-camping float trip for a couple of days over on that section of the river, probably through the Trough area. I may have to get in touch with you for some thoughts on that sort of trip since you've been fishing there for so long. I'm a couple of hours away and don't know the area as well as some closer to home, but there's always water there. Have a great time!

In all the years I've been coming here I've never fished the Trough. I hear it's beautiful. Pray for rain if you'll be fishing the river any time soon - it is really low. We spent a lot of time on this trip dragging our boats through skinny water. I'd be glad to offer any advice but keep in mind that the number of years I've been fishing in the area does not necessarily translate into a wealth of knowledge!
Posted By: RobA Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/11/10 12:32 AM

When I was in high school about 150 years ago Rolling Rock was all we could afford. Then, about 5 years ago I was in London on a business trip. I was taken to a trendy new bar (I would have preffered a pub) and guess what they served? Only 2 American beers - Rolling Rock and Bud! Surely they could have chosen something better to represent the USA!
Posted By: txelen Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/11/10 12:48 AM

Come to Minnesota, it's everywhere. I prefer Surly though, it's a microbrew from the Twin Cities. Fantastic.

Originally Posted By: burgermeister
Zeigenbock, made by Bud plant here is nice. Try it.

I spent many a Friday night at the Dixie Chicken in College Station, killing pitchers of Ziegen with my friends and playing dominoes.

Pearl is probably my favorite swill beer, although it's only available in Texas and Oklahoma I believe.

Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/11/10 02:25 AM
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
.........So of you on here who consider yourself fisherman, would you say you are a non-alcohol drinking fisherman, a I'll drink the occasional brew while fishing or the, if I don't have a beer in my hand while fishing, then there ain't no point in fishing type fisherman?

it all depends wink
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/11/10 02:31 AM
Ya know, I hadn't thought about Pearl beer in years. I used to like it. Maybe I oughta try it again.

My earliest ventures involved Grand Prize beer at 3 quarts for a dollar. That would have been about 1960 and I got a lot of knuckle bumps on my head while on that stuff. It was so bad that we had to hold our nose while drinking it.
Posted By: JoeG Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/11/10 06:14 PM

I was closer to Michigan when it was 18 in Michigan. I didn't go to drink though. I went to meet girls. blush

Drunk girls, always easier to meet eh Cecil??

My grandfather drank Rolling Rock, I still drink it on occasion, I'm no expert on what pee tastes like, though I don't disagree others know more than I do, it was a better beer when it was brewed in Latrobe. Anyone know what the "33" onthe bottles stands for??

Sunil, ten miles??? I have spent several nights at the Keystone State Park campgrounds, I used to eat dinner at the Oasis and the Roadhouse, you must know where those are as well then???

I either fish or I drink beer, I'm very good at both and usually get to my limit while doing either one. I homebrew and make hard cider and various fruit wines depending on the season too. I am glad we all have different tastes, world would be a boring place otherwise.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/11/10 06:30 PM
Joe, I know where both are and essentially pass both going between my pond and my house. I've had the wings at the Oasis...real nice. I have fished Keystone Park many times, but not for about 15 years.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/11/10 08:17 PM
Ken, I place no credibility in the opinion of anyone who eats things that can't even be pronounced and I suspect are temporarily buried to ripen.

Sheesh! I get no respect anywhere! If you were within a mile of my backyard right now, you'd be salivating. There's about 10 lbs. of venison pastrami in the smoker. My granddaughter and I started "dry curing" it last Saturday in spices, black pepper, Mortons Tenderquick, and lots of garlic. This morning, we pressure cooked it in fresh water before putting it on the smoker with apple tree wood. We heavily covered/rolled it in freshly cracked black pepper. It should be done in about an hour from now.

We found a possum skull while my grand daughter and I were out walking the property lines earlier. We brought it back so she could take it to school next week. Before we put it in bleach to whiten it and get the maggots out, it sure looked like it started to form a smile when it smelled the pastrami.

Good eatin'/sippin'
Ken
Posted By: Sunil Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/11/10 09:36 PM
I gotsta get me some of that pastrami.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/11/10 10:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Sunil
I gotsta get me some of that pastrami.

Sunil -- shaved thin and served on a hard rye cracker, and accompanied with a very cold bottle of Yuengling Black and Tan, it is indescribable.

Somehow, I'll make sure you get some this year.

I gotta go get some more!

Good droolin',
Ken

Here is half the batch, about 30 minutes out of the smoker:

P.S. Until I posted this, I didn't realize that even the tree in the background was smiling over the pleasant wafting of spices and garlic.
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/11/10 11:09 PM
In the slightly modified words of Homer Simpson:

"Mmmm...Deer pastrami and beer!"
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/12/10 02:41 AM
Looks like the cows got out of the pasture.
Posted By: JKB Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/12/10 03:31 AM
I would tear into the Cow Pie just left of the one sliced!

Looks Good!
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/12/10 03:31 AM
Dang, I got on a fishing trip this weekend and come to find this thread grew legs and RAN! Interesting stuff...
Posted By: esshup Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/12/10 03:39 AM
So, did you tip any back? grin

Ken, I can't remember. Did I drop off a venison ham when I was there?
Posted By: JoeG Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/12/10 12:49 PM
Sunil the Pizza at the Roadhouse was my favorite, never had pizza taste so good ordered at a bar, I don't know how they do it, but I ate there many times. Our training site is right near Watts Mack off of Rt 22.

Catmandoo how do I get that venison recipe????????????????? I have lots of apple wood and deer season starts in 3 weeks...
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/14/10 12:14 AM
Originally Posted By: esshup
So, did you tip any back? grin

Ken, I can't remember. Did I drop off a venison ham when I was there?

Yes. smile

No. But, I have polished off one package of snacks. Absolutely delicious. We've got an upcoming party, where I plan to serve the jerky and the other bag of snacks, along with my pastrami, jerky, and fried fish.

Originally Posted By: JoeG
Catmandoo how do I get that venison recipe????????????????? I have lots of apple wood and deer season starts in 3 weeks...

PM Sent.

Looks like the cows got out of the pasture.

Geeze! I really don't get no respect. I ain't no city boy! I know venison-on-the-hoof, from a cow pie, from some bull . . .

What you see ain't from no cow! No bull, either. Those came directly from parts closest to the loader bucket in this picture:

We've got a party scheduled. And the 2010/2011 season is almost here! It is time to clean out the freezer.

Good smokn'
Ken

P.S. to DD: Even with the vicious personal attacks on my personal integrity and tastes, you are welcome to join us for a big party -- to include your discredited pastrami -- Sunday after next. But -- your darn Texas dancing worms escaped into my tomato and cucumber patches. If you come for the party, you've got to get those silly things out! My grand daughter thinks they are great. They aren't worth a darn for fishing -- they are actually kind of spooky!

Posted By: squeeky Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/14/10 12:59 AM
I'm pretty much like the majority - never really thought about adding beer to the fishing experience. However, my brother ejoys a few brews, and when he comes too my place, he likes to build a fire, set some lines out at night, and down a few cold ones while waiting for a fish to bite. I've had no problem in joining him in this endeavor.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/15/10 10:43 PM
Ken, wish I could make it. I have never had real pastrami; just that stuff from the grocery store that is blister packed. I bet it's good. I watched some guys making it on the cooking channel but don't figure I will try to make it. I bet somebody around here makes the real stuff.

My Dad spent some time around New York City during WW2(the big one). He always talked about hot pastrami sandwiches and pizza pie. He said it was best washed down with dago red. I had my first pizza at age 18. I soon found out what happens to the roof of a mouth when you bite down on some hot cheese. Yeah, I had been drinking beer.

While I was in Seattle for the summer, my jumping worms just about died out from the heat. However, the W VA immigrants did real well. I'm starting to feed and cover the top of the bed with grass clippings so they seem to be coming back. Right now they're pretty runty but fattening up and growing.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/16/10 03:33 AM
Ken, wish I could make it. I have never had real pastrami; just that stuff from the grocery store that is blister packed.

My Dad spent some time around New York City during WW2(the big one). He always talked about hot pastrami sandwiches and pizza pie. He said it was best washed down with dago red. I had my first pizza at age 18. I soon found out what happens to the roof of a mouth when you bite down on some hot cheese. Yeah, I had been drinking beer.

While I was in Seattle for the summer, my jumping worms just about died out from the heat. However, the W VA immigrants did real well. I'm starting to feed and cover the top of the bed with grass clippings so they seem to be coming back. Right now they're pretty runty but fattening up and growing.

Dave -- and Sunil,

Not having real pastrami !!!!????

This is just about unbelievable. In the US, there are a few places that consider themselves the "capitol of pastrami."

After New York City, I would have to grade New Braunfels (for non-Texans, it is New Braufulls") as #2. There are too many others for me to mention, who consider them next in line.

I'll make sure I have some venison pastrami at our next conference. Maybe I can even find some "dago red." I think we will try to make it Sunil's responsibility to drag it in.

As for pizza burns and "blister packs" -- I worked for a wonderful Italian family while in high school and early college. When we were college freshmen, one of my cousins, and some friends, came in for a pizza after a football game.

My cousin asked for lots of extra cheese on the pizza. In recent years, it would have been a major lawsuit. But in those days, he just went to the emergency room, where other relatives treated him.

The family I worked for made nearly all the pizza ingredients, except for the anchovies, mushrooms, and olives. We made our own sauce, mozzarella, dough, pepperoni, sausage, Parmesan, etc. No two batches were exactly the same.

To finish the story, my cousin's pizza had about three layers of mozzarella. He didn't let it cool before taking a bite of the first piece. The first bite brought a big avalanche of hot greasy cheese down his chin and throat. Monday morning, in class -- my cousin was "blister packed"

His dad was our town's major insurance agent. Nobody sued anybody, unless it was really serious.

To this day, only a few of us know why cousin Wally's chin is scared and red.

Cousin Wally and I downed more than a few brews as we caught family fish dinners.

Ken
Posted By: Rainman Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/16/10 07:47 AM
Ken, can you send that pastrami recipe to me as well?

I still have that 60# of deer meat in the freezer from that Budweiser sweepstakes hunt. I figure Bud paid $184/lb for it and I ought to do somthing with it! grin
Posted By: esshup Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/16/10 10:33 AM
Dang it, I've been in both cities and never thought about ordering pastrami.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/16/10 03:28 PM
I get real pastrami all the time!

The Guv probably does also, but just thinks its garlic bologna.
Posted By: JoeG Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/16/10 05:10 PM
Rainman that is costly venison, you need to buy another smoker if you have that much stored up so you can increse your volume, send the excess to Sunil. I'm completely out of venison except for canned meat, which keeps for a few years longer than frozen stuff. Makes a great Faux-beef-n-noodles dish on busy nights when dinner prep time is limited. I had 13 doe in my food plot the other night, first baldy to walk past me is going to have lung trouble on opening day.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/16/10 06:13 PM
JoeG, I just sold one smoker about 2 weeks ago and bought a closeout gas grill with the funds....I was buying up to 20 pounds of Kingsford a week for grilling/smoking. We hardly ever use the oven or stove inside. The wife won't eat Bambi and I'm down to only one rug rat at home now. I can only eat so much deer sausage....lol
Posted By: esshup Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 09/16/10 08:31 PM
Pssttt.... Don't tell her it's Bambi!
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Alcohol and Fishing? - 07/30/11 07:53 PM
I saw this and thought it might be appropriate for this thread.

Too Drunk to Fish.
© Pond Boss Forum