Pond Boss
Posted By: bbjr Anybody care to go noodling for snappers? - 08/05/10 01:39 AM
I KNOW I DON'T grin

Turtle Man
This has a Jeff Foxworthy style joke written all over it.
Posted By: Shorty Re: Anybody care to go noodling for snappers? - 08/05/10 03:58 PM
Here is how we do it in Nebraska...

Outdoor Nebraska - Hunting Snapping Turtles

A little common sense can go a long ways.

That and pitch forks are a very common item on most Nebraska farms. grin
"Common sense" dictates a safer method for taking Texas Snappers smile

Posted By: Sunil Re: Anybody care to go noodling for snappers? - 08/05/10 04:47 PM
Kellie, long time no see!

How are you?
Posted By: DD2 Re: Anybody care to go noodling for snappers? - 08/06/10 12:49 PM
Dang Kelly, that sucker must be really old.
Undoubtedly older than us.
One of my clients took that picture several years ago. He mentioned that the turtle escaped shortly after he "snapped" the picture. So, the leviathan is probably still alive.
Posted By: esshup Re: Anybody care to go noodling for snappers? - 08/06/10 08:36 PM
That looks like an alligator snapper. I'll bet it's 100+ years old.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Anybody care to go noodling for snappers? - 08/06/10 08:40 PM
Man, I love those creatures. We used to catch them all the time out of our creek growing up. Never did anything with them except let them snap twigs in half and they never got too large where I lived, maybe a couple feet across tops, but sure were fun to catch and watch.
I have always wondered about this noodling for cats. How do you know if you're noodling for cats or snappers? I would lots rather tangle with a cat by the face than a snapper.
Posted By: DD2 Re: Anybody care to go noodling for snappers? - 08/07/10 03:56 PM
I once read that not a whole lot is really known about large turtles. The problem is that they live longer than we do and few researchers want to study an animal that changes very slowly and will probably outlive the researcher.
© Pond Boss Forum