Pond Boss
Posted By: andedammen close encounter - 07/22/10 10:41 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/20..._into_boat.html
Posted By: esshup Re: close encounter - 07/22/10 12:47 PM
I read about that yesterday. It's amazing that there wasn't more damage done to the boat.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: close encounter - 07/22/10 02:52 PM
How did the whale fare? All I could find on it was a video and nothing was said about if the whale got injured badly.

Believe it or not I care more about the whale than the boat. grin
Posted By: Gflo Re: close encounter - 07/22/10 03:32 PM
Around 7 years ago, someone who owned a bbq restaurant in my home town went on a deep sea fishing trip and a whale smashed his boat and killed him instantly. Freak accident, but I guess it happens more often than I thought.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: close encounter - 07/22/10 06:53 PM
That's like the lady who was riding in the bow of a moving boat and got hit in the head in FL by a sting ray jumping out of the water and was killed. Freaky!
Posted By: andedammen Re: close encounter - 07/22/10 07:31 PM
No harm on the whale as fare as could be observed acording to journalists report.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: close encounter - 07/23/10 12:16 PM
I was at a meeting with the DNR of my state and it was brought up that a jet skier had been killed by an Asian carp that jumped up as he was speeding along. My comment was, "Well at least there will be one positive outcome reported in this meeting." It got a few grins.

I know I should be ashamed of myself for saying that, but I've had such terrible experiences with those **** things, and the inconsiderate people that ride them while I was fishing, I absolutely hate them! mad

If I was insane I'd mount a Gatling Gun on the front of my boat and go after them! smirk Torpedoes would be fun too! smirk
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: close encounter - 07/23/10 12:32 PM
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

I know I should be ashamed of myself for saying that, but I've had such terrible experiences with those **** things, and the inconsiderate people that ride smirk

That's the key Cecil "inconsiderate people" like some of the A______s who zip near you in big boats and bass boats when your in a canoe. mad
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: close encounter - 07/23/10 02:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
If I was insane I'd mount a Gatling Gun on the front of my boat and go after them!

I think "insane" is a fairly harsh description.

We find our machine gun quite useful.

Posted By: Gflo Re: close encounter - 07/23/10 04:19 PM
I fish from shore, so jet skiers don't bother me too much. For some reason, electric / gas powered model speedboats are kind of popular where I live right now.

Three times in the last month I have been fishing and someone had decided to drive their boat going 35-40mph and do figure 8 type formations in front of me. At that point I stopped fishing for fish, and was honestly trying to snag me a boat.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: close encounter - 07/24/10 12:03 AM
Originally Posted By: Gflo

Three times in the last month I have been fishing and someone had decided to drive their boat going 35-40mph and do figure 8 type formations in front of me. At that point I stopped fishing for fish, and was honestly trying to snag me a boat.

So tpyical. I rarely fish the public lakes anymore for that reason. Just got tired of dealing with inconsiderate idiots. Any easy solution on our lakes would have been a 10 mph speed limit in evenings AND mornings to give a fishing guy a change but the powers to be didn't want to hear of it. Too many boat manufacturers in my state I guess.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: close encounter - 07/24/10 02:35 AM
When I was in the Navy we had whales that would swim along with the ships. Now and then they would bump into the ship. It actually seemed quite deliberate. Once, one of them smashed and broke our sonar dome.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: close encounter - 07/24/10 03:05 AM
I'm with Cecil...chalk one up for the finned mammals!

Posted By: burgermeister Re: close encounter - 07/24/10 03:25 AM
I AM NOT FOND OF INCONSIDERATE JET SKIERS AND LARGE BOAT OWNERS WHO 'OWN' THE WATER. THAT'S WHY I HAVE A POND. I ALSO DONT LIKE WHOEVER BROUGHT IN AND PLANTED ASIAN CARP, SNAKEHEADS,HYDRILLA, ELODEA. ET AL. WITHOUT JAPANESE FISHERMEN SLAUGHTERING WHALES, WE COULD NOT HAVE SUCH AN EDUCATIONAL DOCUMENTARY SUCH AS 'WHALE WARS'.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: close encounter - 07/24/10 03:34 AM
I fish from shore, so jet skiers don't bother me too much. For some reason, electric / gas powered model speedboats are kind of popular where I live right now.

Muskie tackle like a 10" Believer work wonders on jet skiers! smile laugh cool
Posted By: andedammen Re: close encounter - 07/24/10 04:25 AM
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
When I was in the Navy we had whales that would swim along with the ships. Now and then they would bump into the ship. It actually seemed quite deliberate. Once, one of them smashed and broke our sonar dome.

Not that uncommon, seems cruise ships, with whale lovers/watchers makes most hits.
http://www.cruisebruise.com/Celebrity_summit_dead_whale_on_bow_august_19_2006.html
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: close encounter - 07/24/10 05:50 AM
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57

That happened on a nearby muskie lake. Went to court and the musky angler lost. Jet skier had to have stitches.

Muskie tackle like a 10" Believer work wonders on jet skiers! smile laugh cool

That happened on a nearby muskie lake. Went to court and the musky angler lost. Jet skier had to have stitches. The jet skier was repeatedly asked to move away from his fishing area. When he mouthed off and refused to leave the musky angler lost his temper.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: close encounter - 07/24/10 05:52 AM
Originally Posted By: burgermeister
I AM NOT FOND OF INCONSIDERATE JET SKIERS AND LARGE BOAT OWNERS WHO 'OWN' THE WATER. THAT'S WHY I HAVE A POND. I ALSO DONT LIKE WHOEVER BROUGHT IN AND PLANTED ASIAN CARP, SNAKEHEADS,HYDRILLA, ELODEA. ET AL. WITHOUT JAPANESE FISHERMEN SLAUGHTERING WHALES, WE COULD NOT HAVE SUCH AN EDUCATIONAL DOCUMENTARY SUCH AS 'WHALE WARS'.

After all the education about cleaning weeds off of boat trailers when leaving a lake I saw a weed coated boat trailer on the highway the other day. Looked like Eurasian Milfoil too. mad
Posted By: jakeb Re: close encounter - 07/25/10 07:00 PM
JHAP that pic made ame actually laugh out loud.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: close encounter - 07/26/10 01:53 AM
Hey, don't make fun of our weapons.

We do what we can with the budget that we have.

Posted By: Todd3138 Re: close encounter - 07/26/10 12:45 PM
Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
Hey, don't make fun of our weapons.

We do what we can with the budget that we have.

Geez, I mean, we understand budget constraints and all, but you can't afford to hire a pilot any older than 18 months? C'mon! What kind of outfit are you running anyway??!! laugh
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: close encounter - 07/26/10 02:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Todd3138

Geez, I mean, we understand budget constraints and all, but you can't afford to hire a pilot any older than 18 months? C'mon! What kind of outfit are you running anyway??!! laugh

It's called downsizing in a shrinking economy Todd. At least his pilot isn't Chinese! grin
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: close encounter - 07/26/10 03:06 PM

Todd, don't be ridiculous. We don't use 18 month old kids for pilots. Sheesh.

That's our chief mechanic. Pilots must be at least 5 years old.
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: close encounter - 07/26/10 04:53 PM
Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond

Todd, don't be ridiculous. We don't use 18 month old kids for pilots. Sheesh.

That's our chief mechanic. Pilots must be at least 5 years old.

laugh
© Pond Boss Forum