Pond Boss
Posted By: Omaha Man Killed By His Own Pet Snake - 06/10/10 05:39 PM
http://www.kptm.com/global/story.asp?s=12625572

Quote:
Papillion (KPTM) - A Papillion man has died after being choked by a boa constrictor.
It happened just before 5 at an apartment complex in Papillion.
Police say 34-year-old Corey Byrne was holding the snake and showing it to a female friend, when it wrapped around his neck.
The friend called 911 and he was rushed to the hospital in critical condition.
The 9 foot long, 25 pound snake was taken to the Nebraska humane society.

My wife works at the Humane Society and is in the video handling the snake. Normally I'm all for people owning whatever animals they want as long as it's not a threat to themselves or other people. I totally believe a skilled, responsible individual should be allowed to own an animal of this kind. However, it's idiots like this that reinforce my belief that it'd be a good idea to restrict these animals as pets to either registered owners only or not at all.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Man Killed By His Own Pet Snake - 06/10/10 05:41 PM
I don't have much sympathy for any idiot that intentionally wraps a large constrictor around their neck.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Man Killed By His Own Pet Snake - 06/10/10 05:42 PM
Chalk one up for Mother Nature...
Posted By: Omaha Re: Man Killed By His Own Pet Snake - 06/10/10 05:46 PM
I've read every article there is out there about this and I'm getting the impression this guy had it coming. He'd routinely put the snake on a trampoline with kids in the neighborhood, among other acts of idiocy. I mean, I hate to speak ill of a guy who just died, but I'm thinking the snake finally got his revenge. My wife doesn't know yet what they're going to do with the snake. Normally a guy in Lincoln takes them, but not sure about this one since it killed a guy.
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Man Killed By His Own Pet Snake - 06/10/10 06:33 PM
You see???!!! You guys can make fun of me all you want for not liking snakes, but that's proof right there that even a non-poisonous snake can kill you!!!
Posted By: Bullhead Re: Man Killed By His Own Pet Snake - 06/10/10 06:38 PM
Darwin award winner.
Posted By: bobad Re: Man Killed By His Own Pet Snake - 06/10/10 06:43 PM
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Chalk one up for Mother Nature...

Yep. Owner thought he had himself a friend, the snake thought
he had himself a meal. Both were guilty of faulty reasoning.
Since reasoning is not a snake's specialty, it gets a pass. laugh

A friend once offered me a Burmese. It was just a baby, about
8'long. They get up to 250#, so I said no thanks!
© Pond Boss Forum