Pond Boss
So the end result of Condello's contest thread gave me an idea.

Here's my idea:

Let's take a rather generic multipurpose lure and start at one of the forum member's pond. After the lure has successfully caught a fish at the pond then that member would mail the lure to another forum member who after catching a fish on his/her pond in turn ships the lure to another forum member. (Hence the traveling lure).

There would have to be rules or guidelines:

1. A photo must be taken of the forum member holding the fish.

2. The lure can only remain in any one place for a given length of time. This should be long enough so that fishing can occur. If however no fish is caught, at the end of the time period (yet to be determined) then the lure must be forwarded. If a person does not catch a fish then they still must post a story about fishing with lure and post a photo of them holding the lure at their pond site.

3. Once a fish is caught the lure is forwarded to the next forum member.

4. We will create a thread about the "Traveling Lure" and the thread will include photos and the fishing stories.

5. If the lure get's lost (which is quite likely to happen given my fishing ability) then we will have to decide what to do.

I'd like any and all ideas feedback. The mailing of the lure could be timed to ensure that forum members would have the lure when they are at their property (to assist absentee owners like myself).

I would think that the lure would have to be durable and multipurpose (I'm open to any and all suggestions).

What do you folks think?
I like the idea JHAP. Maybe need 2 or 3 lures that would work in all areas of the country. Nothing too much so the mailing cost doesn't get too bad. Or maybe take a vote as to what specific lure gets chosen?
Good idea!
Mann's Baby Minus One or some sort of Rapala would be my choice for this situation. Make sure to get George rolling with it first, especially since he is down south, but he will have to break out his real fishing pole for this one. Be a good sport George and get things rolling for us.
What a great idea! Geeze, it has been so long, I forgot my password and how to post...... Back problems, on the upswing.

I vote for the Johnson's weedless silver spoon with white pork rind. It was the best for fishing in Lake St. Clair for Smallmouth and Pike.
 Originally Posted By: Cisco
I like the idea JHAP. Maybe need 2 or 3 lures that would work in all areas of the country. Nothing too much so the mailing cost doesn't get too bad. Or maybe take a vote as to what specific lure gets chosen?
Good idea!

That's a possiblility Cisco, perhaps a package of 2 or 3 lures. I'd prefer if it could be one lure but it might be problematic getting one lure to work across the country. The US postal service has those priority mail flat rate boxes. We could easily fit one or several lures in a box and it will ship anywhere in the continential US for about $5.00.

Originally Posted By: n8ly
Mann's Baby Minus One or some sort of Rapala would be my choice for this situation. Make sure to get George rolling with it first, especially since he is down south, but he will have to break out his real fishing pole for this one. Be a good sport George and get things rolling for us.

I like the looks of that the Mann's Baby minus one! I don't want to saddle anyone with this. It will purely voluntary participation. Nate, you and Bruce and George have exponentially more experience in fishing waters across the US than I do. If we could get a consensus between some of our more experienced fishermen that would be great! Perhaps we should set up an expert panel, eliminate down to 5 lures and chose perhaps a collection of 3 lures. Once a consensus is reached, I'll buy the lure(s) and put them in a plastic box or something and ship it to the first participant.

Originally Posted By: 2catmom
What a great idea! Geeze, it has been so long, I forgot my password and how to post...... Back problems, on the upswing.

I vote for the Johnson's weedless silver spoon with white pork rind. It was the best for fishing in Lake St. Clair for Smallmouth and Pike.

Sorry to hear about your back issues 2cat!

I'm completely open to suggestions as to the lure. At my pond the most successful lures have been the Rapala X-rap surface lure and a Rooster Tail. But I'm probably the worst fisherman on this site.

I think this is gonna be fun! Plus it has the makings of a Pond Boss article written all over it!

More lure feedback please!
First off, great idea!

Secondly - a stick bait like a Rapala or any inline spinner [Panther Martin, Mepps, Blue Fox, Rooster Tail] with barbs pinched on the treble[s] will catch everything that swims, including BG.
Great input TJ, and I don't have any problems with folks crimping the barbs, I do that on every lure on my pond.
What if each paticipant swaps the lure with one of their own? For example, first person sends a lure and the recepient sends the next person a different lure?

Would this be more exciting or ruin the entire idea? Also the member would be forced to think about what might work in the receipient's pond. Unless it ruins the novelty of the travelling lure, it seems like it may make it more challenging and exciting?

What say you JHAP?
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
... I don't have any problems with folks crimping the barbs, I do that on every lure on my pond.

No doubt afraid of GSF reprisals if'n you don't. \:o
can we start a shipping donate tab? \:D

I vote beetle spin or Mr. Twister. Use the same safety pin, but can add the color, shape of the rubber.

then again, the folks up nort, with all those toothy fishes, may need a BIG Rapala, (or for Peacock bass)
The Brotherhood & Sisterhood of the Traveling Lure

sounds like a chick flick.
The only problem I see is that TOM G is going to end up in the pokey after trying to mail dynamite.
 Originally Posted By: s_montgomery
What if each paticipant swaps the lure with one of their own? For example, first person sends a lure and the recepient sends the next person a different lure?

Would this be more exciting or ruin the entire idea? Also the member would be forced to think about what might work in the receipient's pond. Unless it ruins the novelty of the travelling lure, it seems like it may make it more challenging and exciting?

What say you JHAP?

Hmmm, that idea has real merit. Perhaps we can save that idea for Round 2. For this one I'd like to see the same lure or group of lures travel. But I like the way you think. We could have a lot of fun with a lure swap thread.

Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
No doubt afraid of GSF reprisals if'n you don't. \:o

Absolutely, I want no harm to come to any beloved GSF during this contest.

Originally Posted By: dave in el dorado ca
The Brotherhood & Sisterhood of the Traveling Lure

sounds like a chick flick.

It does. How about "Fellowship of the Lure." No that sounds too corny. Ok so we need to work on a better name for this process as well.

Originally Posted By: Sunil
The only problem I see is that TOM G is going to end up in the pokey after trying to mail dynamite.

It is unlikely that this would be either the first time or the last time for that occurrence.
What about starting the lure's travels, and when it goes to the next person they add a lure to the box? Person has to catch one fish on each lure, add one and the next person has to catch 3 fish, etc.? Quite a number of lures can fit in those flat rate boxes. Maybe by the time it all ends, the whole mess of lures can be auctioned off at the next conference and the $ donated to the Jesse West Foundation?
I like this idea too.And I wasnt thinking of mailing any dinamyte.However,the fish I caught in the box would probably get the next persons attention. \:o
 Originally Posted By: n8ly
Make sure to get George rolling with it first, especially since he is down south, but he will have to break out his real fishing pole for this one. Be a good sport George and get things rolling for us.

OK, I’m in if I can fish my “Gutless Frog”, restricted to private ponds infested with water primrose and lily pads ….

What happens to the person who's line breaks and the big fish swims off with the lure ? \:D
Have you got a gun?
That is an awesome fly George!
I love the idea, JHAP. How's about "Lore of the Traveling Lure" since there'll be stories with each use?

Your idea of single lure is fun - the one lure will have a load of stories at the end of whatever time frame you choose. With a single lure, it just seems like it would be a lot cooler in terms of being the next person in line to use it, thinking of the energy residing in it from all of our brothers and sisters on the forum who have used it before us (no that's not some new age bull crap about aura and karma and all that jazz, just a fun way of giving the lure a little personality! ) Maybe it could even be auctioned off at the next PB Convention.

Count me in.
I don't want this to become complicated, I want this to be fun.

I'm thinking one of two processes either one single lure or a box of three different types of lures (including one of George's “Gutless Frog” if he is willing to part with one). I'm leaning toward the box of three lures just so each recipient has a better chance of catching a fish.

I have found some great wooden boxes at reasonable prices (about $10). Something like this that is 4" by 6". I'll check to see what fits in a flat rate shipping box.

At the end of the event the box of lures will be available for auction here on the site (assuming that this is OK with the boss). I'd like it to be an on-line auction so everyone would have a chance to bid on the box. All proceeds will go to the Jesse West Foundation (assuming this is Ok with Ewest).
What if the fish I catch is bigger than the box?Is it OK to put that box in a bigger box along with the fish?
No Tom. Don't mail the fish, don't mail the dynamite, mail the lure and only the lure (oh and the box). So to recap, box and lures get mailed, fish and dynamite please keep to yourself.
Dang it, I've always wanted to try a DuPont Spinner!
JHAP -- you choose the lure and we'll find some darn way to catch a SD fish on it!! \:\)
I have just the place to try one out. An unfished pond with 2 year old +- LMB , CNBG and RES. Dare I fish around a feeder with that frog.

Its all ok with me JHAP.
....how about "legend of the pondboss brethren lures"

dont let me influence you though young man, you can name this yer original name......albeit on EXTREMELY RARE occassion i am man enough to admit i am entertained by a chick flick \:D but thankfully DWIED much prefers bruce willis, kurt russel, arnie, or sci-fi B movies, and/or watching lord of rings for the bazillionth time.

jhap, i might have a suggestion or two for lure choice on top of george's wonderful gutless frog, lets chat about it.

maybe we can start them out at our places when you come up in april.
Dave, that title does have a nice, piratey ring to it! Arrrrrgh!
I'm willing to use a golden shiner at my pond, and then take it home and mail it to someone else so that they can use it at their pond.
I'm willing to use a golden shiner at my pond, and then take it home and mail it to someone else so that they can use it at their pond.

Geez Sunil, those shiners have already traveled over 2500 miles before reaching you! Then again, after your HSB hammer them, they can easily fit flat in an envelope.
I wana play, too! Could be cool to find an old journal so each fisherman can write their story and add photos to it (kind of for nostalgia purposes)!I'm sure there would be some interesting entries...! \:\)
Stick with the original name; I just loved that movie.

Great idea re: an old journal. Any old guys with journals out there? Any young guys or gals with old journals; is anybody there? the silence is deafening. jk. I hardly have caught enough fish lately for a journal. I bet young George has one.
Passed down, of course. One can always find what one asks for on the Pond Boss forum.
I have a neat one coming in from ebay that I wondered.... why did I buy this and what am I going to do with it? I'll see what it looks like in a few days!

You would do that! Will the PO pick up or do you have to bring it in.

Remember, they ask you a lot of questions!
There will be an odor for sure. Also remember, I spray crawfish YUM on all my shiners just prior to casting. So naturally, I am willing to spray some on the shiner just before I seal up the package. Not sure if that makes things better or worse though.

Several years back, after fishing, I threw my gear & bait bucket in the trunk of my car. I always just left my gear in the trunk all season long. It was a hot summer.

About (4) days later, I needed something out of my trunk. It was like hitting a brick wall of bad voodoo odor, real thick. I might have passed out for a few minutes. A shiner had got caught in the rim of the bait bucket.
Assuming we are using real lures, I'm in -- and as long as I get the lure before Sunil gets it.

Also remember, I spray crawfish YUM on all my shiners just prior to casting.

(I don't think I want to know what crawfish YUM is, and I'm sure I don't want to know how you get a crawfish to spray it.)

I can't suggest a good lure, but I sure can make lots of suggestions about lures that don't catch fish. I just need to post a photo of my tackle box.
 Originally Posted By: burgermeister
Great idea re: an old journal. Any old guys with journals out there? Any young guys or gals with old journals; is anybody there?

My dad has kept a fishing and hunting journal since his teenage years. I used to love reading through it. Fro, when we lived on Long Island, NY it was neat to see how each fishing season was similar in when the different fish species migrated back north from their wintering grounds and when the last of each species was caught on their way back south.
I'd like to suggest a lure made by someone on the PB forum... I think that would be cool. I bend my own spinners and tie flies, but only in stream trout and musky sizes, nothing really in the LMB size range that most people would probably prefer.

I think that a single-hook, barbless spinner, somewhere around 1/5 ounce, size 1 or 2 hook, hammered nickel #2 colorado blade, and white dressing would be a general crowd-pleaser.
I'm in and I will cast about anything. I think it would be great to try something people use in another part of the country that I don't use up here. Sometimes the fun is just trying to make it work and see if I can catch something (as long as it is not a Banjo Minnow!).
Definitely put one of George's concoctions in the box!
I think just one fish on the lure and thats it. Catch the fish, tell the story on the forum, post the pic, and send er on its way.
Also remember, I spray crawfish YUM on all my shiners just prior to casting.

You actually spray live fish with attractant? I think that's illegal in 11 states.

Wow I like the ideas people. I like the journal idea with some modification. I'd like the journal to be here on the website. We could track the traveling lures on a map. After the process ends I can print the journal and photos and bind them (I have a report binding machine) and the story journal will accompany the box of lures for the auction.

So far here's what I'm thinking. A box of three or four lures. Hopefully I can beg/cajole/con/persuade George out of one of his lures so we would have a "personal" touch to these lures.

I have found several wooden boxes that will fit the bill. The flat rate priority mail box to mail the wooden box of lures would cost about ten bucks. So for each person it would cost them the ten dollar mailing fee to participate.

Once a fish is caught, no matter how big or small, no matter what species, the session is done. Post the story, post the photo and mail it along.

To participate you must be willing to do the following:
1. Pay the $10 to mail the box to the next recipient.
2. Take a photo of the fish that is caught with the lure and write a story about the lure.
3. If you do not catch a fish within the allotted time frame then you must take a photo of you holding the lure box next to your pond and post your "skunked" story.

In honor of our senior statesman I'd like the process to begin with George. I reserve the right to have DIED and I be recipients on the list when it corresponds with a time that I will be at our pond property (probably late May).

I still need more lure input.
I'm a rookie here but I would like to get in on this. It sounds like alot of fun. My lure of choice here in Texas would be a simple spinner like maybe a rooster tail or an H & H spinner. My favorite is a black plastic lizard but it probably wouldn't work to well up north so my vote would be a spinner of some sort.
You actually spray live fish with attractant? I think that's illegal in 11 states.

It is. That's why Roman Polanski's new roommate had to leave the country.
I like lures that are made from bits of real panther. When something is made from real panther, you know it has to be good.
Given that DIED recently caught a fish on a Condello Bullhead Lure I'm thinking that one of those might make it in the box as well.

How many did you send Dave.... I might have to liquor him up and "procure" a lure.
 Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
I like lures that are made from bits of real panther. When something is made from real panther, you know it has to be good.

60% of the time it works ... every time....
All joking aside, i think this thread is a great idea. Wish i had a pond to fish the lure in. Rock on, guys, rock on.
No need to be counted out Skinnybass, pond ownership is not going to be a requirement. I'm sure that a fellow pond meister here will let you fish their pond. Illinois pond meisters? Off the top of my head I can't think of any reason to restrict this soley to pond owners or even being fished on private ponds. Feedback anyone?

Feed back also on the maximum length of time for holding the box of lures - it can't be too long or not very many people will get to play. I'm thinking 7 to 10 days.

Also this is not a contest of size of fish. The first fish you catch on any of the lures is "THE" fish. That will be part of the fun of this process (watch me snag hook a Gambusia, that'd be my luck). As soon as a fish is caught the lures move on.

Also I'm thinking "Fellowship of the Traveling Lure" for the name.

LATE BREAKING NEWS FLASH: (got a client coming in and my boss is getting mad at all this goofing off): JWHAP just procured the box. I'll post photos later. Suffice it to say that the box is very cool and will be able to be shipped for $10 bucks or so. In the end the box with the lures IMHO will be display quality.
well, whatever the case, private or not, i think that the 7-10 day rule is a good one...but there should be some slack time for people who can't get out & fish in that time (work issues...etc).
Even as someone who might not participate, but is just excited to see all the lore of the traveling lure, i see why someone shouldn't sit on it for like a month.

As far as lure selection...hook me up with a white spinner & ship me up to my dad's house and i'll get as many tiny, ridiculously small bass as you would ever like to see!

as far as catching big ones...here in the mississippi bottoms lakes i have AWESOME luck with a gold & silver rat-l trap...and have had good hits with the same set of rat-lers (anywhere from 1" to 3", the cordell brand I grab by the fistful out of the bargain bins @ bass pro & cabellas) up north in WI/N. IL.

I feel your pain, JHAP....boss is eying me weird too.....back to the endless grind....maybe i can get out to the illinois river again this evening though....
Rat-L-Traps are always a good choice here.
Way late to this one, but I love this idea. I haven't read completely through the thread yet, so maybe this has been mentioned already. But if it's a box, there should be a sharpie in there and have everyone sign the inside of the lid as it makes it's way from pond to pond.
Also late, also love it!!

I'd vote for a single lure, though-and stipulate that the fish and lure have to be in each pic. Woe be to he or she who loses the Pond Boss Traveler!

Anybody still have one of those Budweiser lures left over from the 70's and 80's?
For shipping:

Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope $4.90 12-1/2" x 9-1/2"

link

I mail books that I sell on Amazon using these. As long as you can close the envelope, USPS will ship it. It'd be no problem to fit a slim, single-layer tackle box or even just a lure in a pill bottle with some foam to prevent rattling.

I think that it would be neat to try to collect pictures of the lure catching some of the more "exotic" freshwater gamefish: Guadalupe Bass, Lake Trout, Peacock Bass, Sacramento Perch, etc.
I think a 7-10 days max as well. Some people who can get out asap might only have it for a day.

If it's only one lure that'll be making the rounds, I don't think it needs a large box to ship. K.I.S.S. principle. I'd save the good box for the auction. As much as it's going to see the postal service, there's a chance that it will get damaged.
I like the sharpie idea as well.

I've decided on multiple lures in a wooden box.

The box was made for a knife company as a knife display box. It's 5.75 inches long, 5.5 inches wide and 1.125 inches deep. It should nicely hold 4 or 5 lures.

The box is designed such that you can just tilt open the lid for display, or open the lid and pivot it around and the lid then acts like a display stand. JWHAP is going to finish the interior in felt.

It's not the fanciest box in the world but I think it looks pretty cool.

I'd ask you all if you like the box but frankly I don't really care because I've already bought the box. \:D

Originally Posted By: esshup
I'd save the good box for the auction. As much as it's going to see the postal service, there's a chance that it will get damaged.

Good point, I hadn't though of that. Perhaps the lures will be shipped around in a plastic box and then the wooden box will go with the lures for the auction.

Hmmmmm, so darn many decisions.

After a consultation with DIED here are some lure potentials to enter the box....

Rapala J05 Jointed Brown Trout (According to DIED good swimming action, can fast or slow retrieve, this is the lure that DWIED caught the LMB at my place recently. I love Rapala X-Raps, this looks even better.)

Chartreuse Sonic Rooster Tail in 1/8 ounce (a killer on sunfish and LMB according to DIED, why Chartreuse? Danged if I know, but DIED said Chartreuse and I didn't even know that word was in his vocabulary so there ya go. Personally, I'm a great fan of Rooster Tails as well, I caught my pond record 4 pound LMB on a 1/16 ounce black Rooster Tail).

A Condello Jig (Killer lures, I used one at Bob Lusk's place a couple of years ago, these things slam sunfish and Large Bullhead. \:D Plus it's endorsed by Condello, what more needs to be said).

Hopefully one of George's new lures but I haven't sealed that deal yet.

I'm thinking one more lure to make it 5 lures.
UGLY DUCKLING!
I think the decaying golden shiner is a shoe-in here.
Excellent choices IMO. How will you decide where the box goes? Start on your end of the country and head east? I always liked Head East(if anybody remembers them) With the cheap rate of mailing the box could go around the country a few times. Also, any thought on how long this will go? I like the 7-10 day limit. I only get to my place on weekends so that would give somebody like me at least 2 tries to catch fish.
Does anybody have a Heddon Lucky 13 in mint condition and original box? I volunteer to be 1st to try it out.
I think I recognise that shade of pink on Condello's jigs.
I say ship the box, have folks sign it; DONT take the box down to the pond.(or spray it with panther or crawfish scent)
I think a Heddon 100 in the same condition would go nicely in the box.

Do we have to catch a fish on all the lures, or just one lure?

I've never fished with a Brown Trout colored Rapala, most of mine are silver/black.
I wonder whats gonna smell worse,my fish or Sunils "lure"?
Who can say for sure, TOM G?

JHAP, be sure to include some dissection pins in the box so we can pin the DGS (decaying golden shiner) to the inside of the box.
I don't want this to become complicated, I want this to be fun.

I'm thinking one of two processes either one single lure or a box of three different types of lures (including one of George's “Gutless Frog” if he is willing to part with one). I'm leaning toward the box of three lures just so each recipient has a better chance of catching a fish.

At the end of the event the box of lures will be available for auction here on the site (assuming that this is OK with the boss). I'd like it to be an on-line auction so everyone would have a chance to bid on the box. All proceeds will go to the Jesse West Foundation (assuming this is Ok with Ewest).

I’ll donate my Gutless Frog to the winner – I’m afraid very few forum members have a 8 or 9 weight fly rod necessary to cast this bug, to pull a hog out of pads or primrose - or the expertise, knowledge, experience and good looks to properly utilize this bug to it’s fullest potential. \:D

My version of the GF would beat the socks off all the wimpy lures suggested!!!

OK, I would change the rules for the lures to be used in personal pond only, or if you don’t have a pond, maybe a buddy pond.
NO public waters.
No adornment of plastics or live bait (earth worms) on any lure or jig – only fur or feathers permitted.
My only personal addition to lure selection to date would be a RoadRunner.

Burger, you can't have my old 60+ year old Lucky 13 – I don’t have the original box but lure older than most forum members …

Grea idea Jeff - GOOD LUCK to all !!!!

Can foreigners participate?
There aren't any foreigners here!

Would they be held up in customs?

Ahem, George, I happen to have one of those rods..... That Heddon Pumpkinseed, what weight do you use for that?
There aren't any foreigners here!

Would they be held up in customs?

Ahem, George, I happen to have one of those rods..... That Heddon Pumpkinseed, what weight do you use for that?
I'll tie up a couple of GF's for 'ya to fish your buddy's ponds when you come to visit ...

That Heddon Pumpkinseed was cast on a True Temper square shaft steel casting rod with a Pflueger Supreme "knuckle buster" reel... but I have a 12wt salty blue water fly rod I'll let you try it on - betcha you could do it ...
George -- I've still got my Heddon Pumpkinseed, too! \:\)
Ok so three lures so far.

I completely trust George's judgement, if he says the Gutless Frog takes a high skill level and the correct equipment to cast then that's good enough for me.

Excellent choices IMO. How will you decide where the box goes? Start on your end of the country and head east? I always liked Head East(if anybody remembers them) With the cheap rate of mailing the box could go around the country a few times. Also, any thought on how long this will go? I like the 7-10 day limit. I only get to my place on weekends so that would give somebody like me at least 2 tries to catch fish.

I'm thinking of using a sign up sheet that will be posted on line. That way folks can sign up for a time slot that fits their schedule. It will be the first to request a given slot get's it. I don't want to be in the middle of shipping so it will be each recipient's duty to PM the next recipient and get their shipping address.

Ten days soulds like a reasonable turn around time. Especially if we have previously agreed upon time slots.

Originally Posted By: Wood
Can foreigners participate?

I don't see why not. As long as the calendar is adhered to. I have no idea what it would cost to ship to and from Edmonton Alberta but I would think that this can be worked out.

Do we have to catch a fish on all the lures, or just one lure?

Just one lure. A participant can fish any and all of the lures in the box that they want to. However the first fish caught on any lure will end their session. This will be on the honor system. If you catch a fish using one of the lures then that is the fish photo and story that must be posted. No matter what size the fish is, no matter what species.

Originally Posted By: Yolk Sac
UGLY DUCKLING!

Another great choice of a lure and a good variation to the size and shape of the lures already chosen. Hmmmm.

I'm avoiding soft plastic lures for obvious reasons. Other than that is there any size, shape or color of lure that we're completly missing? I've had good luck with all white or all black X-raps and Rooster Tails. I'm relying on our better fishermen for suggestions (which certainly doesn't include me). Nate? Bruce? Died? George? Are we overlooking a good general purpose lure?

Gotta go, I'm drowning in tax returns....

RoadRunner .... !!!

I think that if you go with a 1)floating lure (topwater), 2)dive upon retrieve lure that floats when paused (floating crankbait), 3)suspending crankbait, 4)in-line spinner and 5)jig those 5 lures would cover all scenarios.

Bruce's jig and the Roostertail covers the last 2, the jointed Rapala covers #2.

It'll be interesting to keep a running tally of what lure caught the most fish.

A floating lure could be an imitation frog, a "walk-the-dog" type of lure, a jitterbug, etc.

I've caught LMB, BG, RES, PSK, YP and SMB on this lure:
F77 Teeny Wee Crawfish in Ditch Brown

I'm game for anytime from mid-May 'till the end of Sept.

I wonder how many different species will be caught?
road runner is an excellent choice, your color selection george??

one of the reasons i suggested the broken back rap is that it actually fills both #1 and #2 and depends on how you work it and rig it. dont get me wrong, i am not opposed to adding another topwater lure, i was just being efficient....and this lure will catch warm AND COLD water species, we have to consider our northern brethren in all this.

one of my favorite topwaters is a simple zara spook, black and silver (although i like to replace the stock hooks w/ red ones).
It'll be interesting to keep a running tally of what lure caught the most fish.

That would certainly be an interesting study, however, I believe it'd tell us less about a lure's effectiveness and more about which lure we're most comfortable with.
 Originally Posted By: Omaha

That would certainly be an interesting study, however, I believe it'd tell us less about a lure's effectiveness and more about which lure we're most comfortable with.

True. I will ship out the lures the next day after catching the first fish, but I plan on swapping lures after fish #1 to see what else I can catch.

As for losing a lure, I think that fisherperson should replace it with an exact copy of what was lost. Even if the lures aren't available locally, they would be available on the internet, and could be drop-shipped to the next person in line.
road runner is an excellent choice, your color selection george??...............................................................

one of my favorite topwaters is a simple zara spook, black and silver (although i like to replace the stock hooks w/ red ones).

Dave, any color is OK as long as it is white and chartreuse ...
"If it ain't chartreuse - it ain't no use" ...
I'll tie up a couple of my my home-made version RR in the morning unless you want store-bought?

Photos below may be close to Zara Spook action - turned and air-brushed by these old hands some twenty years ago..
Y'all can have them for the contest or for auction at next conference if Eric and Dr. Dave want them?

That's beautiful work George... A man of many talents!
 Originally Posted By: george1
I’ll donate my Gutless Frog to the winner – I’m afraid very few forum members have a 8 or 9 weight fly rod necessary to cast this bug, to pull a hog out of pads or primrose - or the expertise, knowledge, experience and good looks to properly utilize this bug to it’s fullest potential.

I'm in just for a chance to use or get a Gutless Frog. Great looking fly. I've got an 8 weight too!

Name your price George and I'd gladly buy some.
 Originally Posted By: RobA
I’ll donate my Gutless Frog to the winner – I’m afraid very few forum members have a 8 or 9 weight fly rod necessary to cast this bug, to pull a hog out of pads or primrose - or the expertise, knowledge, experience and good looks to properly utilize this bug to it’s fullest potential.

I'm in just for a chance to use or get a Gutless Frog. Great looking fly. I've got an 8 weight too!

Rob, how much are you willing to bid for a Gutless Frog for donation to South Dakota State Univesity Jesse West scholorship fund?
\:\)
How about an old classic surface (sub surface) lure that has caught me many a fish: Worden's Frog Flatfish (or color variation of the same). It catches just about anything.

That is a good one. Even Walleye like them.
#1 lure in Norway for fresh water fishing is this
http://www.solvkroken.no/produkter/slukwobblerspinner/sluk/spesial-classic.aspx
If you want one in the box tell me wich zize PM a forwarding adres, and I'll buy and send one off within a few days
 Originally Posted By: RobA

Rob, how much are you willing to bid for a Gutless Frog for donation to South Dakota State Univesity Jesse West scholorship fund?
\:\)

I like the way you think! How many would a $50 donation get me?
Rob, they are so easy to make that I would feel guilty selling them.
I'll send one to Jeff along with other stuff and let him handle the auction stuff.
I believe $50 bucks would just be a starting point ...

Originally Posted By: CoachB
How about an old classic surface (sub surface) lure that has caught me many a fish: Worden's Frog Flatfish (or color variation of the same). It catches just about anything.

Caught my first RBT on a orange & black flat fish, I was 12 years old, first day of trout season, elbow to elbow at a local park, when I threw the trout back they thought I was crazy.
I caught my biggest bass as a little kid on a frog flatfish in the back of a cove at my parents cottage. It was a whopping 14 3/4 inches. My dad laughed when I asked to have it mounted.
[quote=jeffhasapond

So far here's what I'm thinking. A box of three or four lures. Hopefully I can beg/cajole/con/persuade George out of one of his lures so we would have a "personal" touch to these lures.
In honor of our senior statesman I'd like the process to begin with George. I reserve the right to have DIED and I be recipients on the list when it corresponds with a time that I will be at our pond property (probably late May).
I still need more lure input.
[/quote]

Jeff, PM your mailing address and I'll send you the GF for auction along with the plug lures.
I'll tie up a couple of Roadrunners made from leadpot, to hook, to mold, to paint and handtied from scratch.
I'll also send a few bare hook RR's like Bruce's jigs if plastic curly tail grubs are allowed - they area deadly combination.
No earthworms plese...

Any thing you and Dave don't need for the contest save for next conference auction?
I know it was published here or in the mag but when is the next conference?
Andedammen - PM sent.

George - PM sent.

Any thing you and Dave don't need for the contest save for next conference auction?

You bet!

A lure from Norway, a lure from George, folks this is going to be great fun.

I don't enough time this morning to prepare a proper post. Thank you all for the responses and feedback.
Oh except one PS, looks like it's going to be more like six lures. \:D
I know it was published here or in the mag but when is the next conference?

I believe it's April 2011.

Jeff and Dave, the old classic 1/4oz RoadRunner is one of the most productive lures ever invented.
I tied one up this morning “classic” style, that I made the lead heads from scratch many years ago before the flytyin’ bug bit me.

This is the lure I would submit for the contest because if it is lost it can be replaced anywhere from WallyWorld or any tackle shop.

The RR will be in the mail this afternoon or in the morning.
I’ll send some of the other stuff for auction possibility at a later date.

I tie my own more “gussied up” with buck tail collar and plastic trailer, and has caught more big Texas smallies than anyone so lucky.

You can't fish it wrong as long as you fish it slow.
3 houers ago I was at postoffice shiped off the lures, so they have started their journey to atend the
"2010 Jeffhasa Pond Boss Trveling Lure Toure"

You wanted me to decide the zize off the lure, I put in two.
One 4 gram clasic produced since 1930 I'd say that is for you to keep.
One 12 gram for the tour, bigger is easier to deal with for less experienced fisherman, and also ok to go trolling with, this one is called exclusive (hamerd) new improved design from last year.

But if you swap around is up to you
great post george.

and thanks paul, thats a nice gesture.

jhap, yer gonna have more lures than you know what to do with. p.s. i havent sent yet and probably wont til next week.
Jeff, how about two different boxes of three sent to 2 different people.
I'm no genius but it seems like this might cut down on the
waiting period and produce more stories quicker.
Have you started a sign-up sheet yet?
 Originally Posted By: rmedgar
Jeff, how about two different boxes of three sent to 2 different people.
I'm no genius but it seems like this might cut down on the
waiting period and produce more stories quicker.

Too much aggravation, too much tracking. Don't worry I have some parallel plans in the future.

Originally Posted By: rmedgar
Have you started a sign-up sheet yet?

Nope.

Once I get all the lures and the box ready to ship I'll start up the sheet.
Upping the ante....

JWHAP decided yesterday that we would put together a "Shutterfly" photo book to accompany the box of lures for the auction. She has made two of them for us. They are hard bound books that you design yourself and then Shutterfly prints and binds them. You get to choose the front and back covers and all pages in between. The finished product is very professional looking. So ultimately the winner will have a coffee table quality book to go along with the wooden box of traveling lures.

The book will have each participant's photos and a caption (the entire story won't be included in the book due to page cost) but I'll probably print out the stories and bind them separately.

Stock photo of a Shutterfly book:

I'm still waiting for the wooden box and lures to come in and then we'll get the show on the road.

So waddya think of that?

Oh and JWHAP told me to add this PS:
If any participant wants a copy of the book we can order multiple copies at the time we order the books. Each book will be about $20.00 and anyone that wants one will have to pay for their own but I think it would be a cool keepsake. Before we order them I'll discuss this again.
Great idea! I think I missed something. There's going to be a winner? What's the contest?
No contest, the "winner" that I'm referring to is the winning bidder....

So far I haven't been told by any of the forum powers-that-be not to do this process so I took that as permission to go ahead, sort of a "better to ask forgiveness than permission" strategy that has kept life interesting for JWHAP and I. \:D

Eric graciously gave his approval to allow the proceeds to go to the Jesse West Foundation. So when the auction is over the winning bidder will make their payment directly to the Foundation and I'll mail out the package containing the box, and the photo book to the winning bidder.

And to reiterate, any other person that wants a copy of the photo book will be able to purchase one for whatever the actual cost will be, plus whatever the actual mailing cost will be.

Obviously, I'm not going to profit in any way from this process. 100% of the winning bid will be paid directly to the foundation.
A dilemma … I will donate to the Jesse West Foundation auction a “novelty” Gutless Frog fly and/or a custom lathe turned/air brushed top water lure …. OR … a serious collector “Original” Spinster fly that is sought by fly collectors.

Problem is "Original Classic” no mas – all in collectors hands or worn out striper fishing.

… BUT ….. I do have one remaining “Original” Shad Spinster that I would donate if the price is right … and then no mas ….. ever …

Actually the Spinster fly value is famous for the jig hook that has been accepted as a standard to some extent worldwide ….
http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/flies/cowen_jighooks.aspx

This is a serious item that I do not want to put up for auction if no interest at this time – maybe at the next PB conference?

What do you think?
George:

I vote to save the Origional for the April Conference. Could you re-introduce the spinster, but with a slight difference so it wouldn't take away from the orig. collector spinsters? Would it work the same with the 60° hook instead of the 90°?
Scott the 60 degree bend hook IS the Spinster and what makes it so effective.
The only change ever made was for the PB forum contest when we renamed it the PB Mrs. G's $Gill and we have wrung that out to the max.

Delay until conference and I may be able to shake a corporate money tree ..
George, sorry, I misread the article. I thought it was made on the 90° jig hook.

I'd still wait and shake some branches.
George, what size hook is most commonly used to tie the "spinster"? I suspect you could use a number of different hook sizes and the appropriate spinner size to match. Would using something like sticky back lead foil to give it some extra weight be cheating or should the use of a weighted fly line be used? I like the pattern and think it would work well on some of the big brown trout I chase after in a fly fishing only section of creek I fish. However, with the addition of a spinner I am not sure the pattern would be legal to use in the fly fishing only section? They have very specific rules or what is and what isn't allowed.
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
George, what size hook is most commonly used to tie the "spinster"? I suspect you could use a number of different hook sizes and the appropriate spinner size to match. Would using something like sticky back lead foil to give it some extra weight be cheating or should the use of a weighted fly line be used? I like the pattern and think it would work well on some of the big brown trout I chase after in a fly fishing only section of creek I fish. However, with the addition of a spinner I am not sure the pattern would be legal to use in the fly fishing only section? They have very specific rules or what is and what isn't allowed.

Travis, I use the #2/0 Eagle Claw 413 exclusively for striped bass and LMB.
I use 8 wraps of .035 leaded wire with sinking lines but weight heavier with clouser type bar bell eyes and/or additional lead for floating or intermediate lines.

It can be tied on any size hook, materials or spinners aka Mrs. G’s $Gill/

Spinner flies are approved by the IGFA rules so I wouldn’t worry about “fly fishing only section” without a severe challenge.
This fly has been published in several national and international fly fishing magazines.

Here’s a link to tyin’ instructions and materials.
http://www.danblanton.com/thespinster.html

Pretty fair SMB fly as well as SB fly ...

My PB 14# SB on my Spinster fly ....

Quick update:

I have the box in hand and I received the lure all the way from Norway - Thanks Paul!!!!

Plus I received the customized Road Runner from George. Thank you George!

I'm still waiting for the Rapala and the Condello jig from DIED and I'm waiting for the Rooster Tail from Bass Pro Shop. Ironically Bass Pro Shop was completely sold out of the Sonic Chartreuse Rooster Tail so the lure that will be in the box will be a standard Rooster Tail in Chartreuse.

PS:
I'll keep the instructions that came with the lure Paul sent and that will go with the auction box - the instructions are in Viking-speak (Norwegian?).

geez where does the time go......thanks for the reminder, i just packaged up the two lures and will mail tomorrow a.m.

BTW, the rap is a j-7, slightly larger than a j-5 but thats ok, its a fish catchin sumbeech and it'l attract slighty larger fishies.

bummer about the sonic rooster, i personally like those alot more than regular rooster tails....after casting, w/ a quick rip, they are faster to get spinning, they also vibrate more and better at slow retrieve speeds.....oh well... mine is so beat up from so many fish its not worth including. i havent seen them for sale around here for a while.

for future reference, if cabela's has a sonic in white or black, those work good too.
Oh Boy! If I get the box, I think I'll have to go out and catch a fish with just a worm. Then I'll take a picture of the fish next to the box before I ship it off. There is no way I'd want to take the chance of losing one of these very special lures.

Jeff -- if you can, scan and post the Viking-speak instructions. Growing up as a multi-ethnic Northwoods Scandahoovian Lutheran, I may be able to translate the Norsk to Sami, Sami to Suomi, Suomi to Svensk, and finally Svensk to American English. By the time I get done with it, I'm sure the lure will be catching something we never expected.

Ystävällisin terveisin,
Suomi Poika
(better than my brother's name -- Saatanaa Poika)
Thanks for the tips George... I think this fly may be the ticket to fool some of the big browns that have seen everything else. Those are some fine fish caught on it. I like the idea of using clouser type bar bell eyes to keep it hugging the bottom.
bummer about the sonic rooster, i personally like those alot more than regular rooster tails....after casting, w/ a quick rip, they are faster to get spinning, they also vibrate more and better at slow retrieve speeds.....oh well... mine is so beat up from so many fish its not worth including. i havent seen them for sale around here for a while. for future reference, if cabela's has a sonic in white or black, those work good too.

I was bummed about the sonic roostertails as well. Bass Pro Shop did have the sonic in other colors - the day that I ordered them they had "White" and "flame" in 1/8 ounce. Everything else was out of stock. Cabelas does not (oops forgot the word not) even offer the sonic on their web site.
I'll try to get take of photo of the lure box from Paul.
Jeff, I'll send you the Gutless Frog to present to the winner ..... as soon as I make another for myself ....
OK folks so we are ready to get this show on the road. I received the last of the lures yesterday. So here's our line up of lures.

Clock wise from upper left...

Chartreuse Rooster Tail (sorry not sonic)
Solvkroken Lure (all the way from Norway - thank you Andy)
Rapala Jointed J7 Floating Lure (from DIED's collection, thank you Dave)
"Condello Jig (from DIED's contest winnings, thank you again Dave and also Bruce)
"Road Runner" (custom made by George, yes you read that correctly, custom made by George, many thanks George) :

For those of you that are unsure as to how to properly use the Solvkroken, I have provided a copy of the instructions:

And finally here is a shot of the lures in the box (the box will be finished with felt inside, I just put in a piece of paper to show off the lures):

So I'd like to start the sign up process as soon as possible. I figure if I can get the lures shipped out and to the first person on April 7t or 8th then we can have two recipients in April. I think it will be a first come first served on date selection.

Any volunteers to help coordinate sign ups? I'm having trouble finding much free time to mess with this right now (imagine that given tax season). What I was thinking is that we would kick off sign ups on Monday April 5th at a certain time. I'm envision just a list of dates (in 10 day increments) and people can sign up for a certain date by posting to a sign up thread. Where I need the help is for someone (anyone?) to take over this sign up process and "award" the dates and keep track of the calendar (at least during April). For instance I'm envisioning the first dates to be:

Saturday April 10th through Tuesday, April 20th.

Two days to ship,

The second dates would be Thursday, April 22 through Monday, May 1st.

Two days to ship...

You get the idea. As soon as we have our first recipient signed up then I'll ship the lures.

I'm going to reserve the last period in May (what ever the dates will fall) for DIED, DWIED, JWHAP and myself. We are going to get all four of us done in one 10 day slot.

So can I get a volunteer to help with the calendar???
That looks great JHAP! Nicely done. I'd like to help, but I've been running out of time myself lately.
cant wait to use the viking spoon, NOW THAT I KNOW HOW TO USE IT \:D

you do not want my help in the scheduling of things, that is my most worst skill.

somebody well organized or at least well intentioned needs to step up for this.

I hadn't actually read the lure box instructions prior to posting them.

After reading the instructions I find that I have many, many, questions to ask but fear of moderation has kept me in check.
JHAP:

May I suggest a piece of styrofoam or other foam to stick a hook into to keep the lure in place during shipment? As much as boxes get bounced around during shipment, I think the heavier spoon might booger up some of the feathers on the other lures, or at the very least all the lures will be a tangled mess when recieved.

I hadn't actually read the lure box instructions prior to posting them.

After reading the instructions I find that I have many, many, questions to ask but fear of moderation has kept me in check.

JHAP, My hat is off to you! You are doing a Superb job on this.

I just wish I could find my little Mepps Spinner, killer on panfish and SMB. And would fit in a nice neat spot in your display. (And would probably catch all the fish )

I moved a year ago and my tackle box is missing

I'll keep looking, but I am thinking somebody swiped it during the move.
Like other things in my life I can be very quick. \:\)

Receive lures. Tie on Chartreuse Rooster Tail. Cast 2 times, 3 times max. Catch a still naive 2 year old, 14" LMB. Take picture. Back in mailbox the same day.
Jeff, I'll be happy to take a swing at keeping things coordinated. The only thing I'd ask is that people who want in on this just email directly - NOT THROUGH THE FORUM - to make it easier to track who is up and where the box happens to be located. I don't have any idea right now how I'll do it, but I'm happy to offer my help. Heck, it might give me a sound reason for telling my secretary that I can't do anything on a particular day because I'm busy doing work for the non-profit Jesse West Foundation as it's West Virginia adjunct liaison emeritus and that I have to spend time on the PB Forum to ensure smooth operation! Sounds like a good excuse, doesn't it?!

Let me know if that's acceptable.
jhap, i'll put this reminder here so everyone can see it....

i sent you the two red duo lock light wire snaps. i would keep the rapala in its original box, and put the snaps in the box w/ the rapala. it should fit in yer nice wood box.

for those that dont know what a duo lock snap is, you tie it direct to line (clinch knot or whatever) and snap lure to it. makes for quick lure changeouts, its round shape allows full range of motion for lures and does not affect floatation. (its much easier and more efficient than a loop or rapala knot especially for quick lure change).

All right -- in my best Scanahoovian translation of Norsk to Svensk, to Suomi, to English, the box says:

Quote:
Special Notice
Severe Restrictions Apply in the State of California. Under no circumstances should these lures be used in proximity to waters with Green Sunfish!

But, if I just go from Norsk to English, it kind of translates out to this:

Quote:
Special Exclusive
This is an exclusive edition of the Special Classic with Laser Sharp hook in black platinum finish. The pattern is inspired by traditional trout flies, like Jungle Cock, Telemark King and the March Brown. The Hammer is a 2005 specialty with a hammer beat surface. This gives a longer cast and more sound in the water to attract fish.

I'm ready to take it on!
And let me also suggest a couple of things if cool with the group:
* First come first served on reservations (Other than those who have already expressed a need for a particular date)
* We may want to consider allowing northerners the chance to schedule more towards the front of the schedule due to weather patterns (assuming this project ends up running clear through summer)

Just a thought. Also, forgot to share my email. Please use:
tlaneve@8777wvlaws.com
PM sent to Todd. If I haven't scared you off with the details then hopefully we have a new FOTL (Fellowhip of the Traveling Lure) Schedule Czar.

This is going to start soon folks so keep watching for an update.
 Originally Posted By: catmandoo
All right -- in my best Scanahoovian translation of Norsk to Svensk, to Suomi, to English, the box says:

Quote:
Special Notice
Severe Restrictions Apply in the State of California. Under no circumstances should these lures be used in proximity to waters with Green Sunfish!

\:D \:D \:D
JHAP:

May I suggest a piece of styrofoam or other foam to stick a hook into to keep the lure in place during shipment?

Done! Good idea.
I have no cut off date for this as yet. Given the late start I'm thinking that this might go to next April or May - I'm open to suggestions for an end date.
Nope, not scared (yet!)! \:D

I'll be working to get the schedule drawn up and will post it in a new thread in this category once it's ready - hopefully no later than tomorrow, but maybe by Wednesday.
After a phone conversation with Todd yesterday, Lynda reminded me of Richard McWilliams who was 10 years old in 1988. He wanted to go on vacation, but his family didn't have enough money to do so. His mother convinced him to send a box around the world and ask people to put a local trinket in the box at each stop, then send it on to somewhere else in the world -- much like is happening with the PB Traveling Lures.

Richard's mother helped him write the letter. In April 1992 the box arrived in a small town in Alaska. It included things from all over the world. The residents put the doctor's thermometer in the box because it had been in the mouths of all the residents. They sent it to a town in India.

Does anybody know what happened to Richard's round-the-world trinket box?

I'm glad we've got Todd keeping track of our lures so we don't possibly lose track of it.
I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, Ken! grin
Originally Posted By: Todd3138
I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, Ken! grin

I guess this is a problem when us old dudes realize that our friends aren't the same age as we are! wink

Think of Cicely's Mayor Maggie with her EAA bush plane that she built by herself! Think of movie producer Ed Chigliak! Think of Jesse the Bear!

Does not the younger generation not know about cult followings? crazy
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
Does not the younger generation not know about cult followings? crazy

Now THAT I know about - I have one of those myself! Somewhat embarrassing at times, but I just try to roll with it! grin
well since randy started it w/ a good ol boy trout rock, i added my own trinket, story later.
It looks like it'll be 2 or 3 boxes making the rounds by the time this is finished!!
Have you ever heard of the urban legend where the postal guys opens a box of lures and takes them all, putting rocks in thier place? Oh yeah, I'm in.
© Pond Boss Forum