Pond Boss
Posted By: Bullhead Need bow advice. - 03/04/10 03:37 PM
I have a daughter who will be turning 14 soon. For years she has played around with this little bow and arrow we have here. It is little more than a toy. I was thinking of getting here something a little better for her birthday. Something that she could actually hit a target with. It doesn't need to be something that will kill a deer.
Does anyone have any advice or suggestion regarding style, size etcetera of the bow and the arrows?
Posted By: Omaha Re: Need bow advice. - 03/04/10 03:44 PM
BH, what exactly do you have? I have a small combo for my boy and it works great, but won't be hitting any deer with it either. Great for target practice, hitting hay bales and such.
Posted By: esshup Re: Need bow advice. - 03/04/10 04:34 PM
Youth Bows
Posted By: Omaha Re: Need bow advice. - 03/04/10 04:40 PM
 Originally Posted By: esshup

That last one is very similar to the one my boy has.
Posted By: FCM67693 Re: Need bow advice. - 03/04/10 06:31 PM
Bullhead,

If your daughter will never hunt then the link esshup provided has many good options.

If you think she might, then you might want to consider a youth bow from one of the reputable bow companies. My daughter has the Diamond Edge.

Pros

1. Adjusts from 30 -40 lbs.
2. Option to buy new limbs 40 -50 lbs for around $50
3. Large drawlength adjustment (20" - 28" I think)
4. Draw length adjusts WITHOUT a bow press. Nice when they are growing.
5. Came as a package - bow, sight, kwiver, arrow rest, bow sling

Cons

1. More expensive than a bow for targets (I paid around $225 on sale)

As for arrows, don't spend a lot of money. I like carbon for their avaiablity and durability. I shoot the cheapest ones from Cabels's and they are fine. Leave them a little long for your daughter now. As she grows, you won't need to purchase new ones becasue she outgrew them.

Hope this helps.
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: Need bow advice. - 03/04/10 06:34 PM
hey bullhead, check out the PSE line of takedown recurves....the buckeye is fantastic beginner bow for ~$100. i have a PSE impala and love it.
Posted By: Bullhead Re: Need bow advice. - 03/04/10 06:49 PM
The "First short youth bow" which sells for $19.99 is similar to what my daughter has now. I hope that I don't have to allow for too much growth, she's not yet 14 and 5'10".
Thanks for all of the info, it was very helpful.
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Need bow advice. - 03/04/10 08:57 PM
BH, just an fyi, we sell bows and on the women youth side, alpine archery, arrow precision, barnett, bear, browning, diamond, gensis, high five, hunter dan, martin, omp, pse, whisper creek.
about 50 models, $20- $325. recurve and compound. If you now what model you want let me know and I wil get you a price if interested. I suggest one similiar to fcm. You are going to need a fairly long draw length with her height. Here is one pertty good choice. we got this one for $165 http://crossbowandfishinggear.com/pro1384458.html

Is she a volleyball player?, it seems all the good ones come out of NB.
Posted By: esshup Re: Need bow advice. - 03/05/10 01:59 AM
Whatever bow you decide on, I'd see if Greg can get it. I just put up that link because it seemed that page had the most youth bows in one place.
Posted By: GaryTexas Re: Need bow advice. - 03/05/10 03:21 AM
My wife and my 14 year old daughter shoot the Genesys.... It's a compound, but the draw length is whatever the shooter needs, as it doesn't have a letoff on the cam. They both love shooting it.

I'd highly recommend it for target shooting, but not hunting.

My two cents worth....
© Pond Boss Forum