Pond Boss
Posted By: catmandoo Deep South Big Snow - 02/12/10 12:18 PM
When I was driving last night, I thought I'd heard the news wrong. I thought they said that Mardi Gras preparations were put on hold and schools were closed in Louisiana because of snow.

Us mid-Atlantians (??) did our part with photos and snow tales. Now it is the duty of those of you from Texas to South Carolina to uphold the tradition.

How do you deal with big snow in areas that almost never get snow? How many of you even have snow shovels?

You have my sympathy.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Deep South Big Snow - 02/12/10 12:38 PM
Ken, I have never personally seen a snow shovel. We don't get a lot of snow and it usually melts the next day.

However, yesterday and last night I got about a foot of snow. Others around the local area will have different amounts. It's a record here. Since the ground was warm, a lot of it melted when it first started. Actually, it is starting to melt this morning. We had no wind with this so it didn't feel cold. Actually, the temp stayed around 32.

All schools are closed. Lots of down trees and busted limbs. Businesses started shutting down about 3:00 yesterday and letting everybody get home. Bridges and overpasses are sanded. No salt used here.

I have some pretty respectable sized broken limbs down in my yard and some neighbors are a lot worse. I expect to be using a chain saw most of the day. AT 67 YOA, I'm one of the young guys in my neighborhood.

I will get up to Bowie in a couple of days to assess things there.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Deep South Big Snow - 02/12/10 01:39 PM
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Ken, I have never personally seen a snow shovel.

It's a Northern variety idiot stick, DD. You know, a stick with a blade on one end and an idiot on the other.

Shown here with one of the penguins that come down from the North pole and shovel our snow for us:

Posted By: ewest Re: Deep South Big Snow - 02/12/10 01:46 PM
Everything closed here with 4-6 inches and mounting.
Posted By: Cisco Re: Deep South Big Snow - 02/12/10 02:21 PM
I had about 8" ay my place in town. I hear out west where my ponds are there's about 15" on the ground. Usually nothing but dust out there! I'll try to post some pics later when i get back home.
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Deep South Big Snow - 02/12/10 02:27 PM
Dang we are probably missing it. We are in edge of mountains 40 miles north of Atlanta. The bulk of the snow is hitting below Atlanta and toward middle GA. Rare for this to happen but also happened last year where father south hammered and we got a coating. We might get 1-2 inches and calling for 4-6" in middle to south GA, figures.

I guess that is ok we head to Montana Sunday for a week so we will get plenty of snow action for Wyatt.

Catmando I visited friend in Boston few years ago. I said hey man let me shovel the snow I have never got to do that. He quickly took me up on the offer. On the second day after a six inch snow and two hours in I said ok I can go a lifetime now without ever doing that again. You can keep the snow shovles up north thank you very much.
Posted By: gallop Re: Deep South Big Snow - 02/12/10 03:32 PM
no snow here, just cold and rainy.

we did have some flurries with the last deep freeze though

i'd kill for some global warming right now
Posted By: HoneyHole Re: Deep South Big Snow - 02/12/10 05:44 PM
It's snowing all the way down to the FL line here in AL. Started @ 8:30 am and have a couple of inches so far. Third time in ten years to see snow on the ground here. So much for global warming!

-HH
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Deep South Big Snow - 02/12/10 05:53 PM
The TV Weather Guy said this is the most snow we have had since 1964. I just finished cutting and piling stuff in my yard. Taking a short break and then have to get to the old folks on both sides of me. Down the street, a guy had a huge, old growth, Blackjack Oak come down and is blocking the street. Unlike our normal post oaks, the Blackjack keeps its dead leaves all winter. Snow collected on the leaves and the branches and pulled it over. I can't handle that one with even my bigger saws.
Posted By: david u Re: Deep South Big Snow - 02/12/10 09:35 PM
North Texas got 8-12" of snow. Like DD1 said, no wind, a slow steady snow that never quit from 5am yesterday to 3am this morning. I have lived here for 50 years & can't remember anything quite like it. It was nothing compared to what you all got on the East coast, but for here, memorable. Here are some pics from this morning.

Posted By: Sunil Re: Deep South Big Snow - 02/12/10 09:50 PM
Funny for us northerners to see the snow and then the pond with no ice.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Deep South Big Snow - 02/12/10 11:37 PM
Forecast for tomorrow is low to mid 50's.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Deep South Big Snow - 02/13/10 01:45 AM
Well, David U's photos show that it is very pretty. Although, the horse looks a little perplexed.

In 1975 when I was getting out of the Navy, I had job offers in Garland and Carrollton, TX near Dallas. I made quite a few trips to that area while in the Navy, and I really liked one of the two companies where I'd made a lot of very good friends over several years. But, the Dallas area weather convinced me not to go. It seemed like every time I visited, it was either 105 degrees, or else I couldn't get to old Love Field because the whole area was glazed with a half-inch of ice.

At least you shouldn't need shovels if it will be in the 50s tomorrow.

Enjoy it while you can.
Posted By: JKB Re: Deep South Big Snow - 02/13/10 02:00 AM
 Originally Posted By: catmandoo
Well, David U's photos show that it is very pretty. Although, the horse looks a little perplexed.

Had a look on it's face, saying...!!!
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Deep South Big Snow - 02/13/10 02:00 AM
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
Funny for us northerners to see the snow and then the pond with no ice.

I guess technically I'm in the south, since the Mason-Dixon line is north of me. But Western Maryland and Northern WV have climates a lot more like . . . well, I don't really know -- but somewhere very north of here. This was the snow that hit us on December 4 or 5, when the water was still in the 40s, but the air temp sunk -- and has just stayed there.

Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Deep South Big Snow - 02/13/10 02:16 AM
Forecast for tomorrow is low to mid 50's.

That's the best kind of snow storm. You get a good storm one day and it's gone the next!
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Deep South Big Snow - 02/13/10 04:36 AM
Nice photos. North and south. We always try to cope by making snow ice cream. I shovel with a spatula into a big pan.

Funny about the quick change in temp. down here. I remember my Jr. year at MSU, no, not Michigan State, in 1968, we were supposed to go to a music concert in Memphis. Snowed all day and night, ended up with 12 inches, 14 in Memphis. This was on April Fools day. Next day, about 60. Quite a slush.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Deep South Big Snow - 02/13/10 12:13 PM
According to the Weather Guy, we average 2.5 inches of snow per year. We have the possibility of more coming this week to add to this 12.5 inches.

This snow yields about one inch of moisture for every 8 inches of snow. Since snow usually melts from the bottom instead of the top, We will get quite a bit of ground water from this; especially since everything is still wet from previous snows. Now, if I can just get a whopper of a rain, there should be quite a bit of runoff to the ponds.
Posted By: RAH Re: Deep South Big Snow - 02/13/10 12:52 PM
I do not claim to be a climate expert, but when you here no mention of global warming on the TV when we get these cold weather events, I am suspicious that the critics have been silenced by political pressure. When the discussion ends, I fear that science has been totally replaced by politics. I am certainly concerned when human activities significantly increase a mayor atmospheric gas (CO2), but I wonder how well we truely understand the impact of this on climate. I know thing have become warmer in some places, but is this just our ignorance of climatic cycles, or a direct effect of increased CO2 in our atmosphere?
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Deep South Big Snow - 02/13/10 03:03 PM
Last I heard was that the phenomenon was effecting the former planet of Pluto; possibly the 7th planet from the sun.
I also heard that the increased moisture from evap. due to heat was the reason for all the snow. I believe this was Rush's scientific hypothesis.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Deep South Big Snow - 02/13/10 03:30 PM
 Originally Posted By: burgermeister

I also heard that the increased moisture from evap. due to heat was the reason for all the snow. I believe this was Rush's scientific hypothesis.

Possibly spurred on Rush's Great White North, too.
-
I'm steering clear of the "7th planet from the sun" comment; I know a trap when I see one. How's that for growth, Ewest?
Posted By: bobad Re: Deep South Big Snow - 02/13/10 04:16 PM
We got 1" in my parts Friday morning, added to 3-4" we got in December.

The earth's weather is a huge, self-correcting feedback loop. When temperatures swing to the hot or cold side, it triggers events that eventually moderate it. I'm grateful to be living in in a warmer period. I hope it stays the way it is, because the 10,000 year average is way too cold for me. (Think Minnesota weather in Texas).
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Deep South Big Snow - 02/13/10 07:30 PM
 Originally Posted By: bobad
We got 1" in my parts Friday morning ...

Dang. That sounds cold. \:o
Posted By: JKB Re: Deep South Big Snow - 02/13/10 07:53 PM
 Originally Posted By: Brettski

Possibly spurred on Rush's Great White North, too.
-
I'm steering clear of the "7th planet from the sun" comment; I know a trap when I see one. How's that for growth, Ewest?

I'm going to have to crank up some RUSH tonight! Thanks Brettski --- Now I am going to have that rolling around in my head at 2:00 am, rather than putting the finishing touches on a special machine I am designing.
At least I am 3 weeks ahead. I could do "All the World's A Stage" for a week. My favorite album of all time!
Posted By: david u Re: Deep South Big Snow - 02/13/10 09:22 PM
I'm sure this will seem boring to you all that get a lot of snow, but today in North Texas, there is a phenomenon occuring that I believe I will never see here again. Snow melt runoff has filled the bar ditches and creeks. It looks as if we just got a 3" rain!!

Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Deep South Big Snow - 02/13/10 09:48 PM
I have been informed global warming is not allowed to be talked about on here... So I'll keep my thoughts to myself. Certainly some interesting weather we've been having though!
Posted By: RAH Re: Deep South Big Snow - 02/13/10 10:08 PM
I hope that this is because it is off topic rather than a scientific issue being considered too political to discuss. Do you know why it is not allowed here?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Deep South Big Snow - 02/13/10 10:25 PM
 Originally Posted By: RAH
I hope that this is because it is off topic rather than a scientific issue being considered too political to discuss. Do you know why it is not allowed here?

It could be a calm scientific discussion among adults but it doesn't end up that way, as some make it political. So Rush is a climate expert now.
Posted By: RAH Re: Deep South Big Snow - 02/13/10 10:34 PM
I am guessing that few are really climate experts if our ability to predict next seasons climate (never mind tomorrow's weather) is any indication. We are really limited to studying what evidence we can gather from the distance past over the eons, and models. The great thing about predicting long-term trends is that you will be dead before you can be proven wrong (or right). All kidding aside, I would love to see offensive posts censored rather than topics restricted, but I guess its like driving with cell phones. Instead of ticketting dangerous driving, everyone gets punished. By the way, cell phone use is not restricted while driving in Indiana, but I don't do it because I can't drive safetly while talking on my cell phone.
Posted By: esshup Re: Deep South Big Snow - 02/13/10 11:15 PM
David U:

Bring on the pictures! Hopefully that will be what I can look foreward to in a month or so.
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: Deep South Big Snow - 02/14/10 02:06 AM
 Quote:
We are really limited to studying what evidence we can gather from the distance past over the eons, and models. The great thing about predicting long-term trends is that you will be dead before you can be proven wrong (or right).

I agree RAH, the problem with the computer models we're using to predict the future is they can't predict the past even with known data input. But we depend on them to tell us what will be.
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Deep South Big Snow - 02/14/10 02:12 AM
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus

You, sir, are a subtly twisted dude! I admire that! \:D
Posted By: ewest Re: Deep South Big Snow - 02/14/10 02:29 AM
There are not many restricted topics - this is one . The rules are posted. If a topic is such that the mods have to start editing then it needs to go away. None of us want to edit others posts . Its to hard and subjective to put words in peoples posts. So often we delete them which does not make happy posters.
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Deep South Big Snow - 02/14/10 03:05 AM
 Originally Posted By: Todd3138

I get it.....I think. That is more than subtle; it was buried within several convolutions.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Deep South Big Snow - 02/14/10 10:59 AM
The problem is that the Mods here are a bunch of highly paid, ill equipped, ignorant, lazy, poorly educated, wastrels who have an aversion to having to figure out what constitutes scientific discussions from political ones.

Having to edit or delete a post takes an inordinate amount of PM band width, therapy, and loss of sleep. Thus, they take the easy way out and just say NO.
Posted By: RAH Re: Deep South Big Snow - 02/14/10 12:14 PM
Now I see why this subject is off limits - Sorry I brought it up!
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Deep South Big Snow - 02/14/10 01:51 PM
 Originally Posted By: Todd3138

I get it.....I think. That is more than subtle; it was buried within several convolutions.

But it just takes a second for an equally deviant mind to catch on! I suspect there are a lot of those around here! \:\)
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Deep South Big Snow - 02/14/10 02:27 PM
The problem is that the Mods here are a bunch of highly paid, ill equipped, ignorant, lazy, poorly educated, wastrels who have an aversion to having to figure out what constitutes scientific discussions from political ones.

Having to edit or delete a post takes an inordinate amount of PM band width, therapy, and loss of sleep. Thus, they take the easy way out and just say NO.

Dave, you are truly a man of eloquent explanations. It is so well written, and so easy to understand by each of us, I believe your posting should be added to Cody's professorial and also well written archived rules of posting: Forum Rules & Behavior.

Now, back to normal seasonal non-controversial cabin fever fun and wackiness.
Posted By: ewest Re: Deep South Big Snow - 02/15/10 12:34 AM
No problem RAH. Bob with input from the mods decided a long time ago that when this topic comes up invariably things get to heated and no good ever comes out of the argument. Just raised blood pressures. It fits in the political area as well.
Posted By: bobad Re: Deep South Big Snow - 02/15/10 02:34 PM

Oh no you didn't \:D
© Pond Boss Forum