Pond Boss
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/27/10 03:29 AM
One of my best repeat customers gave me a couple of pounds of ground bison from one he shot recently in South Dakota (Or was it North Dakota?) Anyway, I made meatloaf out of it and it was good. I could tell it wasn't beef but it was very mild.

Anyone else eat it?
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/27/10 03:35 AM
The one grocery store chain I shop at a lot(Wegman's) carries it both as ground meat and some other cuts. I mix the ground meat with my deer meat to make burgers because the bison taste much like beef but much lower in fat. The steaks are very good as well.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/27/10 03:39 AM
All I can say is after looking at the picture of the animal they are big stocky animals! They must have a lot of meat on them!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/27/10 03:41 AM
We eat it regularly out here in NE as there are some of the largest herds in the world on Ted Turner's ranches in the Sandhills of NE. It's very lean, a little dry, but we like marinading steaks and throwing them on the Green Egg with corn and veges....
Posted By: JKB Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/27/10 03:57 AM
I have had it before. As CJ says, it is a bit more lean than beef, quite good.

A few farms raise them around here, but not in quantity. One of the most advertised Law Firms in Grand Rapids constantly shows their heard along with a few old cars. At least they don't have an infomercial that runs for three hours a day.

Best burger I ever had was Black Bear. I am sure that would make some really nummy meatloaf.

Sigh, I miss the old meatloaf days, specially with ground liver and the hand crank meat grinder with multiple tooling and accessories. \:\(
Posted By: Weissguy Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/27/10 04:02 AM
Love it! Lean cuts have less fat than turkey. It really tastes just about like regular beef. Burgers are good. Steaks are great, but you have to make sure not to over cook them because of the lack of fat.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/27/10 04:13 AM
 Originally Posted By: JKB
Best burger I ever had was Black Bear. I am sure that would make some really nummy meatloaf.

You ain't kidding! Black bear burger is so good... Burgers are supposed to be greasy and that is what black bear meat is! I didn't think black bear would taste very good, but the first time I had it I was like dang we need to shoot more of these.
I thought you guy's were kidding or maybe talking about this place.
http://www.northwarren.com/index/busines...bear-restaurant
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/27/10 04:28 AM
HAHA, do they serve bear there or just beer?
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/27/10 04:35 AM
Over the years, we've eaten quite a bit of bison that has been given to us as gifts. Roasts (not sure if they were front or back -- chuck/round), boneless steaks (probably backstrap or fillet), and ground.

I've always found the color interesting, as it is so dark. Minimal odor, and certainly very lean.

It isn't something you want to overcook since it is so lean. I wouldn't go out of my way to find it, but it is every bit as good as properly butchered venison or home-grown grass fed beef.

As for bear -- not for me anymore. Maybe a young sow would be OK. But older bear, especially boars that are sexually mature sure have a bad odor and taste that will ruin a good cast iron pan.
I've been told bear meat tastes like crap, but I never have tried it, maybe I shouldn't believe everything I'm told.
But then I'm not a real steak lover, and I don't drink beer.
That ought to shock most of ya'll.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/27/10 04:42 AM
The steak lover yes! The beer lover, I am right there with you...
Posted By: JKB Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/27/10 04:48 AM
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003

You ain't kidding! Black bear burger is so good... Burgers are supposed to be greasy and that is what black bear meat is! I didn't think black bear would taste very good, but the first time I had it I was like dang we need to shoot more of these.

Too bad you cant raise them like steers or hogs. First time was like... Are you kidding me (with a few expletives) First bite and that was soooooooo good. I'm getting hungry.
Posted By: esshup Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/27/10 05:09 AM
You can raise them like steers, but the fences have to be much stronger, and they have a bit of an attitude problem. There's a local farm (in Bremen, IN)that raises them for meat. A couple got out one year and they couldn't herd them back into the pen. They were able to keep them confined to a neighbors field tho, using horses and 4-wheelers. They had to wait for the meat inspector to show up before they could shoot them, or they couldn't have sold the meat.

IIRC, bulls will get over 2,000#.
Posted By: joshua Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/27/10 05:41 AM
loved it wish i had the land to raise them
Posted By: JKB Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/27/10 06:23 AM
 Originally Posted By: catmandoo

As for bear -- not for me anymore. Maybe a young sow would be OK. But older bear, especially boars that are sexually mature sure have a bad odor and taste that will ruin a good cast iron pan.

Any Boar, Bull, no matter what species, without the proper fix early on will be quite pungent. And yes, they could melt a cast iron pan.

Question is: How do we sell this new technology to China \:D
Posted By: n8ly Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/27/10 12:34 PM

Bison Burger from North Dakota. (no this photo was not taken with my new camera glasses)

Excerpt from my blog about the bison burgers:

Anyhow road trip with Dad, Justin and Chef Todd was smooth sailing all the way until we stopped at the Big Chief in Fergus Falls for Buffalo Burgers. They tasted amazing....
...For the last two hours up to Grand Forks occasionally someone would dramatically say ‘aahh man’, someone else would then smirk or chuckle to themselves a bit uncontrollably and then all the windows would rapidly go up and down to exchange the air in the vehicle. You do have to realize that we were traveling in -10 degree weather and you better have a darn good reason for rolling down the window traveling 75 mph in that kind of weather!! At times we had no choice but to choose to freeze in order to breathe!
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/27/10 01:36 PM
There's a restaurant in a small mountain town in San Diego county (in Julian for those who are familiar with San Diego County) that serves Bison meat. I eat it every time I'm up that way. I like it.

Ricki and I stopped at a Bison ranch in Arizona few years back. I was completely amazed at how huge the animal is. The male Bison were kept isolated from the females in an enclosure that had two seven foot fences about 6 feet apart parallel to each other around the entire enclosure. We had to watch a "Bison etiquette" video before we were allowed to walk around the sanctuary. You weren't allowed to stare the bison in the eye, and if the male bison was standing they ushered people away from the enclosure. Supposedly the males are very aggressive would charge the fence when irritated. They also had white Bison. It was an interesting place. Oh and don't worry during our visit it was one of those rare occasions that I was behaving myself. Deep down though I still believe that I could have beat the bison in a stare out contest.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/27/10 01:44 PM
While doing a command performance for GE in Puerto Rico, the guys I was traveling with (native to the island) took me to some restaurant in a village a bit off the main road. The special was buffalo steak. They kept going on about ordering the boofalo....so I did too.
It was laden with fat. Most of it wound up rolled into my napkin, covertly dropped to the floor.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/27/10 01:45 PM
 Originally Posted By: n8ly
...For the last two hours up to Grand Forks occasionally someone would dramatically say ‘aahh man’, someone else would then smirk or chuckle to themselves a bit uncontrollably and then all the windows would rapidly go up and down to exchange the air in the vehicle. You do have to realize that we were traveling in -10 degree weather and you better have a darn good reason for rolling down the window traveling 75 mph in that kind of weather!! At times we had no choice but to choose to freeze in order to breathe!

One of the smartest things my wife ever taught me was to leave the truck windows open overnight after my Son and I have road trips like that.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/27/10 01:48 PM
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
While doing a command performance for GE in Puerto Rico, the guys I was traveling with (native to the island) took me to some restaurant in a village a bit off the main road. The special was buffalo steak. They kept going on about ordering the boofalo....so I did too.
It was laden with fat. Most of it wound up rolled into my napkin, covertly dropped to the floor.

Dude, I hate to break it to you but there are no buffalo (or Bison \:D ) in Puerto Rico.

I don't know what you ate but I'm thinking it wasn't Buffalo (Bison). \:o

I'm thinking "Puerto Rican Buffalo" might be a euphemism, you know sort of like Mountain Oysters.
Do you guys have to talk about good food, I'm sitting here eating my no fat, no taste shredded wheat!!!!
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/27/10 01:56 PM
Just think about "Puerto Rican Buffalo" AP, that ought to calm your hunger pangs.
Whale steaks.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/27/10 02:11 PM
it's boofalo
get it right
The guy next to me has been raising Buffalos ever since I've owned the place; 30 + years. They've never been a problem. They're just real big and eat a lot.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/27/10 06:06 PM
Yes but is he raising Puerto Rician Buffalos?
Posted By: Wood Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/27/10 09:14 PM
When I lived up north, bison were plentifull, lots of them were basically wild left to fend for themselves in the bush. I had a few close calls that got my heart pumping. Bison jerky by far is the best. As for bear meat, after seeing one some years ago with a diaper hanging out of it's arse, lets just say I'll pass.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/27/10 09:17 PM
Nope, not gonna ask.

Once again,
BRETTSKI?!?!
Posted By: Brettski Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/27/10 09:21 PM
This is a new one on me. Was it disposable or cotton?
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/27/10 09:28 PM
Well, once again not exactly the response I was expecting but I suppose it is a reasonable question.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/27/10 10:01 PM
The town where the stick lives has a Buffalo Days Celebration with a buffalo chip throwing contest.

The buffalo chip is full of fiber, but is quite dry when french fried.
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/27/10 10:54 PM
 Quote:
quote by AP I've been told bear meat tastes like crap, but I never have tried it

JHAP?
Posted By: Weissguy Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/27/10 11:02 PM
Bison and domestic cattle can hybridize, and they produce viable offspring. This cross is called Beefalo and is also a pretty popular meat. Technically, a "true" beefalo is 3/8 bison, 5/8 domestic bovine, but most people consider 1/2 and 1/2 crosses to be beefalo as well. They are more laid back and considered to be easier to handle on the farm/ranch than pure bison. They retain many of the benefits (lower fat and so forth) of the pure bison as well. They also tend to be less prone to diseases than either of the parents.

There are actually very few bison herds still in existance that are considered to be free of any domestic bovine genetics, the herd of Plains Bison (Bison bison bison) in Yellowstone being one of them. There is also a herd of the slightly larger subspecies, the Wood Bison (Bison bison athabascae), in Canada that is considered "pure".

More info on Beefalo can be found here: http://americanbeefalo.org/
Posted By: JKB Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/27/10 11:24 PM
 Originally Posted By: Weissguy
Bison and domestic cattle can hybridize, and they produce viable offspring. This cross is called Beefalo and is also a pretty popular meat. Technically, a "true" beefalo is 3/8 bison, 5/8 domestic bovine, but most people consider 1/2 and 1/2 crosses to be beefalo as well. They are more laid back and considered to be easier to handle on the farm/ranch than pure bison. They retain many of the benefits (lower fat and so forth) of the pure bison as well. They also tend to be less prone to diseases than either of the parents.

There are actually very few bison herds still in existance that are considered to be free of any domestic bovine genetics, the herd of Plains Bison (Bison bison bison) in Yellowstone being one of them. There is also a herd of the slightly larger subspecies, the Wood Bison (Bison bison athabascae), in Canada that is considered "pure".

There was a beefalo farm auctioned off not more than 15 miles from here. They did a start-up, looked good for a bit with all the press, then the auction. Don't know what really happened. Banks were falling apart at that time.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/27/10 11:33 PM
 Originally Posted By: Wood
When I lived up north, bison were plentifull, lots of them were basically wild left to fend for themselves in the bush. I had a few close calls that got my heart pumping. Bison jerky by far is the best. As for bear meat, after seeing one some years ago with a diaper hanging out of it's arse, lets just say I'll pass.

Wood - thanks - I was having a really crappy day until I read that. So that's what my laughter sounds like....?
TJ, I also haven't stopped laughing about that one.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/28/10 12:14 AM
 Quote:
quote by AP I've been told bear meat tastes like crap, but I never have tried it

Originally Posted By: Ric Swaim
JHAP?

And why Ric would you assume that I would know the answer to that?

I've never had bear meat. \:D
As for bear meat, after seeing one some years ago with a diaper hanging out of it's arse, lets just say I'll pass.

It's probably hard to find a diaper big enough.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/28/10 12:19 AM
LOL, AP, I see what you did there.
Posted By: esshup Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/28/10 01:06 AM
As for bear meat, after seeing one some years ago with a diaper hanging out of it's arse, lets just say I'll pass.

So, are you saying that a bear doesn't poop in the woods?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/28/10 01:10 AM
 Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
I've been told bear meat tastes like crap, but I never have tried it, maybe I shouldn't believe everything I'm told.
But then I'm not a real steak lover, and I don't drink beer.
That ought to shock most of ya'll.

I'm the other way around. I like steak but don't care for beer much. Kind of strange considering half my family is German and my grandfather and cousin on that side were and are alcoholics.
Posted By: esshup Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/28/10 01:12 AM
Brettski:

There are species of buffalo that grow in warmer climates. Look up "water buffalo".
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/28/10 01:15 AM
 Originally Posted By: n8ly

Bison Burger from North Dakota. (no this photo was not taken with my new camera glasses)

Excerpt from my blog about the bison burgers:

Anyhow road trip with Dad, Justin and Chef Todd was smooth sailing all the way until we stopped at the Big Chief in Fergus Falls for Buffalo Burgers. They tasted amazing....

Very funny Nate. Now I see why you do blogs. You're a very good writer!
 Originally Posted By: esshup
Brettski:

There are species of buffalo that grow in warmer climates. Look up "water buffalo".

Saw many in the Nam, it was a family's prized possession and even stayed in their hootches.
http://www.gingerb.com/Vietnam%209d%20-%20Papa%20San%27s%20VC%20Water%20Buffalo.jpg
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/28/10 01:25 AM
[quote=Wood] As for bear meat, after seeing one some years ago with a diaper hanging out of it's arse, lets just say I'll pass.

Anyone seen Wilfed Brinley lately?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/28/10 01:27 AM

It's probably hard to find a diaper big enough.

I believe you misunderstood. He said, "hanging out of it's arse," not the arse hanging out of the diaper.

Of course you knew that. You funny funny man!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/28/10 01:29 AM
 Originally Posted By: Weissguy

There was a beefalo farm auctioned off not more than 15 miles from here. They did a start-up, looked good for a bit with all the press, then the auction. Don't know what really happened. Banks were falling apart at that time.

They were promoted down here too but for some reason you don't hear about them much anymore. Maybe just a fad? Maybe with some of the disease problems with bison it's hard to find a clean herd to cross with the beef? Our state gave up tiger muskies because it was a pain to keep on hand northern pike broodstock.

I've got to say I'm surprised that offspring don't look more like bison.

Speaking of fish, when are you gonna stop foolin around and throw some BG in that basement tank, to heck with the nitrites.

Might as well cover this subject, we've just about covered everything else.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/28/10 01:48 AM

So, are you saying that a bear doesn't poop in the woods?

Nope I think you've got the bear mixed up with the Pope.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/28/10 01:51 AM
Speaking of fish, when are you gonna stop foolin around and throw some BG in that basement tank, to heck with the nitrites.

Might as well cover this subject, we've just about covered everything else.

Uh oh this thread is going down the tubes now. I supposed you're going to ask me if I'm still adding ammonia "products?"

Seriously the nitrites don't seem to want to budge. Maybe it's the cold water?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/28/10 01:52 AM
Brettski:

Technically the American Bison is not a buffalo. Not even close. I'm just passing on the misery as I've been corrected many times on that. ;\)
Posted By: esshup Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/28/10 02:38 AM
Cecil:

Come-on, you can spare a few small bg to see how the tank is doing! Throw some in there already!!!!!! Whatcha waiting for!

Would a bison be considered a buffalo if it was native to Africa or Asia?
Posted By: the stick Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/28/10 02:59 AM
Dom't know about B steaks, but my girls schmirls love B buger for Taco Meat. The stick agrees.

I see them all the time on my walks through Blue Mound State Park. The are slow moving grazer's amd it is easy to see why their numbers dwindled many moons ago.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/28/10 03:27 AM
This post has to be one of the funniest yet most informative threads non pond related I have seen!

I'll add some more info, for those of you who are fans of the American bison and their history:

Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/28/10 04:06 AM
Cecil:

Come-on, you can spare a few small bg to see how the tank is doing! Throw some in there already!!!!!! Whatcha waiting for!

The nitrites are at least 5 mg/l. Sure death for any fish.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/28/10 04:09 AM
This post has to be one of the funniest yet most informative threads non pond related I have seen!

I'll add some more info, for those of you who are fans of the American bison and their history:

\

It just sickens me to read about how they were shot for sport off of railroad cars and left to lay to rot. Looks like we came pretty close to losing them as a species.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/28/10 05:17 AM
Yes we did... No one ever thought you could kill them all! We managed to kill the most common North American bird species, the passenger pigeon. Some scientists think they numbered over 1 billion!
Posted By: Rainman Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/28/10 12:57 PM
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

That's a fine wine for tilapia! ;\)
Posted By: JKB Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/28/10 01:09 PM
Cecil:

Yep, sure death.

Your Nitrites are going to take a bit longer. Cooler temps and light make it take longer to fully cycle.

Can you rig up a cover for the RBC? Cheap black plastic or something to keep the light out.

Also, elevated air temperature will help with an RBC. If you can cheaply direct a heater duct, that will help.

One thing I tried was infra-red over a flat black shield. Raised the temp up pretty good without drying anything out. That would be too expensive to run full time, but as an experiment it went well.

The beauty with your RBC or fixed film reactor is once it is working properly, it is very reliable.

I did however have an instance of Nitrate poisoning with a new mini rbc. Something to keep an eye on.
Posted By: esshup Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/28/10 01:12 PM
Cecil:

I know that you won't see this 'till this evening, but do you want to try those 2 large aquarium heaters that I have? They are either 300 or 400 watts each.
Posted By: JKB Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/28/10 01:35 PM
Cecil:

I know that you won't see this 'till this evening, but do you want to try those 2 large aquarium heaters that I have? They are either 300 or 400 watts each.

That is a generous offer, and Cecil can do anything he wants. But, I would advise to let it come in naturally. At 62F, with an RBC, it will work very well once it comes in. To augment to a degree that would increase daily operating costs, really is not worth it.

One thing I would suggest is to come up with a cover to keep out as much light as possible.
Posted By: esshup Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/28/10 03:09 PM
JKB:

Could he use the heaters to get the level where he wants it then slowly reduce the temps to what the water would be without the heaters? Would that get his system up and running any quicker?
Posted By: JKB Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/28/10 10:15 PM
JKB:

Could he use the heaters to get the level where he wants it then slowly reduce the temps to what the water would be without the heaters? Would that get his system up and running any quicker?

esshup:
It would help make things move along quicker. I wouldn't do anything too wild, like an extra 5 degrees or so would be a benefit.

The problem is not with raising temps but lowering them. The little bio-bugs Cecil is "raising" will like the 62F temps but once they go to Florida for a vacation they most likely wont want to return.

I did a 20F or so temp drop once. Everything seemed fine for a day or so but it was a disaster.

Maintain your PH, temp's, TDS and keep an eye on the nitrate levels.

If Cecil plans on a salt regime, which would be a big plus. It is not too late to start. Just don't have the tank stocked and decide to add 4ppt salt. That's a whole new colony of bio-bugs.

Hope this helps.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/28/10 11:05 PM
Esshup,

I think I'll pass for the reasons JKB said, and the fact that I need at least 4 watts per gallon of water for a 9 degree temperature increase in the tank. That means for my 330 gallon system I would need 330 X 4 = 1320 watts to bring the water up to 71 F. and hold it there.

I'd like to eventually get a commercial size submerged heater from AES to do the job but right now money is really tight.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/28/10 11:09 PM
Yes we did... No one ever thought you could kill them all! We managed to kill the most common North American bird species, the passenger pigeon. Some scientists think they numbered over 1 billion!

No one thinks we can have an effect on the earth's climate either. Whoops!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/28/10 11:15 PM
Cecil:

Yep, sure death.

Your Nitrites are going to take a bit longer. Cooler temps and light make it take longer to fully cycle.

Can you rig up a cover for the RBC? Cheap black plastic or something to keep the light out.

Also, elevated air temperature will help with an RBC. If you can cheaply direct a heater duct, that will help.

One thing I tried was infra-red over a flat black shield. Raised the temp up pretty good without drying anything out. That would be too expensive to run full time, but as an experiment it went well.

The beauty with your RBC or fixed film reactor is once it is working properly, it is very reliable.

I did however have an instance of Nitrate poisoning with a new mini rbc. Something to keep an eye on.

I am planning on a cover when I transfer it over to an oblong rumbermaid container, but just like the heater money is an issue right now. However it's quite dark in that back room. I even blocked the only window --a very small one -- with cardboard so it's pretty much pitch black in there most of the time.

What's interesting is there quite a biofilm layer on the RBC now.

I'll be watching nitrates as I do now. Water changes should keep it under control.
Posted By: JKB Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/28/10 11:29 PM
Esshup,

I think I'll pass for the reasons JKB said, and the fact that I need at least 4 watts per gallon of water for a 9 degree temperature increase in the tank. That means for my 330 gallon system I would need 330 X 4 = 1320 watts to bring the water up to 71 F. and hold it there.

I'd like to eventually get a commercial size submerged heater from AES to do the job but right now money is really tight.

Money well spent would be to insulate and heat the atmosphere. Water temps would only be about 2-3 degrees cooler than the ambient air temps. Everyone that thinks they can just heat water will always loose. By far, more energy wasted. You have to think of terms of saturation when it comes to temps. Keep it as even as possible.

One thing you may not know is that every engineering equation, regarding raising fish, has Temperature in it. That should be a flag.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/28/10 11:36 PM
All the literature I have seen says heating the air is less efficient than heating the water. But I see your point in that if the air is heated the tank will stay close to the air temp. I don't believe I have any vents in that area of the basement but I will look. The closest one may be at least 20 feet away although the furnace (Geothermal) is on the other side of the petitioned wall.

BTW I slowly added NaCl to the system until I got it up to 0.2 percent aka 2 ppt or 2000 ppm. I've had really good luck using salt when I haul fish and have seen a lot of literature that shows it's beneficial.
Posted By: JKB Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/29/10 12:02 AM
Cecil:

Yep, sure death.

I am planning on a cover when I transfer it over to an oblong rumbermaid container, but just like the heater money is an issue right now. However it's quite dark in that back room. I even blocked the only window --a very small one -- with cardboard so it's pretty much pitch black in there most of the time.

What's interesting is there quite a biofilm layer on the RBC now.

I'll be watching nitrates as I do now. Water changes should keep it under control.

All Good.

I cant wait till you post a video with your tank stocked. But be patient.

I would have also liked to see you add a salt regime when you started your bio-filter. I would ask Jim Held or Bill Cody and get their opinion, being that I am not an expert, but I have killed many fish

I want your RAS Project to be a success. You have taken on a bit more difficult rout, but it will be long term success.

If I can help, let me know.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/29/10 12:10 AM

I would have also liked to see you add a salt regime when you started your bio-filter. I would ask Jim Held or Bill Cody and get their opinion, being that I am not an expert, but I have killed many fish

Me too but all the literature I have found says adding the salt should not be a problem if added slowly which I did. According to one piece, even if the added salt stresses the bacteria they should adapt fairly quickly.
Posted By: JKB Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/29/10 01:13 AM

Me too but all the literature I have found says adding the salt should not be a problem if added slowly which I did. According to one piece, even if the added salt stresses the bacteria they should adapt fairly quickly.

I'ts just a time frame thing. Don't add it all at once. You can put too much in at one time and kill most of your bacteria. Some will survive, but the rebound time, once stocked, won't be pretty.

Just tossing up a bit of caution.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/29/10 01:45 AM

I'ts just a time frame thing. Don't add it all at once. You can put too much in at one time and kill most of your bacteria. Some will survive, but the rebound time, once stocked, won't be pretty.

Just tossing up a bit of caution.

Thanks. Hopefully adding it over several days kept me safe.
Posted By: esshup Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/29/10 02:29 AM
Cecil, I have more than enough heaters. One stock tank heater (you'd have to bypass the internal thermostat) is 1200 or 1500 watts by itself, then the other 2 aquarium heaters.... But, if dropping the temps will cause more problems than it's worth, then using ambient temp is probably the best.

Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/29/10 03:52 AM
Thanks Scot. I really appreciate the offer.
Posted By: Bullhead Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/29/10 04:01 PM
You can raise them like steers, but the fences have to be much stronger, and they have a bit of an attitude problem. There's a local farm (in Bremen, IN)that raises them for meat. A couple got out one year and they couldn't herd them back into the pen. They were able to keep them confined to a neighbors field tho, using horses and 4-wheelers. They had to wait for the meat inspector to show up before they could shoot them, or they couldn't have sold the meat.

Are we talking about the bison or the bears here?
Posted By: esshup Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/29/10 05:11 PM
 Originally Posted By: Bullhead

Are we talking about the bison or the bears here?

American Bison
Posted By: Bullhead Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/29/10 05:19 PM
Oh okay. I was hoping someone would have video of herding bears with horses and four wheelers.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/29/10 08:20 PM
Weren't we all.
Posted By: JKB Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/30/10 12:01 AM
If that were the case, I think the herding would be against the horses and 4 wheelers.

Some kid and his dad recently shot (what the news said today) was a huge Black Bear in my vicinity. I know we have a few around, but I guess you have to pay a few bucks to go to a hunting show to see it.

MDNR along with the cops got a 630 lb wild boar that was destroying a pickup truck, with the guy still in it. That was maybe 12-15 miles away.

We are getting quite a bit of wildlife showing up. Coyotes are pretty thick this year and a territorial Bobcat that makes a showing once in a while. I know it likes Luna's dog food, that's why I wont leave food out anymore.

Us city folk living in the deep dark forest. At least Luna get's good exercise chasing squirrels and chipmunks, and eradicating the moles. I will have to get a video of her extracting a mole, it is amazing.

Anyway, back to Bison meat. What is a good marinade?

Posted By: JKB Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/30/10 12:50 AM
\:D \:D \:D
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/30/10 01:30 AM
Classic AP.

JKB, hold on for Catmandoo, I'm sure he has eight or nine marinades for either bear or bison (probably a few for buffalo as well).
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/30/10 02:22 AM
At least Luna get's good exercise chasing squirrels and chipmunks, and eradicating the moles. I will have to get a video of her extracting a mole, it is amazing.

You need to bring Luna down here. My dog digs for moles but mostly makes a mess. Maybe Luna can show her how to capture them more consistently. They are really thick on my property. We're hoping once I convert a ditch to an underground culvert they won't be able to dig as well (ground stays moist along ditch). Once the clay soil dries up it's like concrete.

Dan Laggis of Laggis fish farmer recommended a poison product I can put in a hole and they will take it down to their dens. However I won't use it as I'm afraid the dog could eat it.
Posted By: JKB Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/30/10 03:13 AM
At least Luna get's good exercise chasing squirrels and chipmunks, and eradicating the moles. I will have to get a video of her extracting a mole, it is amazing.

You need to bring Luna down here. My dog digs for moles but mostly makes a mess. Maybe Luna can show her how to capture them more consistently. They are really think on my property. We're hoping once I convert a ditch to an underground culvert they won't be able to dig as well (ground stays moist along ditch). Once the clay soil dries up it's like concrete.

Dan Laggis of Laggis fish farmer recommended a poison product I can put in a hole and they will take it down to their dens. However I won't use it as I'm afraid the dog could eat it.

I would not use poison either. After Luna claims her prize she throws it in the air a few times and tries to nudge it to make it move again to chase it. After the eyes show double XX, her sister Coco comes over and buries the little buggers for what ever reason.

Luna is a stalker, and she has such a cunning and calculating mind. I am just glad I am bigger than she is.

I have never seen a dog that stalked her quarry, learns it's behavior and patterns, and takes it out when the time is right.

When she is on a stalk, Red Meat wont have any influence. Probably because she knows it is her's anyway

I am going to make it a point to try get a video this year. It would blow your mind.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/30/10 02:37 PM
Anyway, back to Bison meat. What is a good marinade?

Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
JKB, hold on for Catmandoo, I'm sure he has eight or nine marinades for either bear or bison (probably a few for buffalo as well).

Bison, or even beefalo, really doesn't need to be treated any differently than beef. It has a much darker color and a slightly different taste. The only real reason to marinate would be to tenderize the tougher muscle cuts. Cuts from the back end, such as round or rump, and front pieces like chuck and brisket, are probably best cut into chunks or ground into hamburger for use in stews, chili, etc. Braising them whole, slow cooking, or cooking in a pressure cooker for pot roast or BBQ works well too. For the more tender cuts, like tenderloin, sirloin, ribeye, etc., just don't overcook, as there is very little marbling to insulate and seal the meat from drying out and getting tough while cooking.

As for most bear meat, gasoline comes to mind as a good marinade when out camping and drinking beer. Have a couple of beers while marinating the meat in the gasoline. Have another beer. Get the guy with the best insurance to throw the marinated meat in the campfire from a distance. Enjoy another beer while it lights up the night sky. When the flames subside, roast a hot dog. Enjoy.
\:D
Maybe I won't try Bear meat.

Ken, when you retire you should open a gourmet Road Kill Kafe.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/31/10 02:23 AM
Ken, you ever eaten at the Road Kill Cafe in Artemas, PA? It's about an hour from your place and 15 minutes from our hunting cabin. Pretty cool place...
Posted By: Dwight Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/31/10 02:50 AM
 Quote:
No one thinks we can have an effect on the earth's climate either. Whoops!

Who is no one?
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/31/10 03:15 AM
Ken, you ever eaten at the Road Kill Cafe in Artemas, PA? It's about an hour from your place and 15 minutes from our hunting cabin. Pretty cool place...

I looked at their website. It looks like the only way to find the place is to be lost -- perfect for a roadkill cafe. We may just have to make that a Thursday day-trip there for a piece of Mrs. Snider's pie.

[By the way -- why aren't you out keeping the fools from turning themselves into roadkill this evening?
Our "trace to 1 inch of snow" measures about 7 inches. I guess you guys got whomped?]

I had a friend who had one bull buffalo that he hoped to breed to some cattle. When a cow would come into "season", he would put her and the buffalo into about a 1 acre pen. Problem was that the bull didn't respect the fence. He tried a barb wire yoke to no avail. Then he yoked the bull to a male donkey. We had previously tried to ride the donkey but got pretty bruised up. Bad idea to try to break a 7 year old donkey. The first time around, the bull went through the fence and drug the donkey along. The next time the buff got near the fence the donkey started kicking the dickens out of the buff. They went around and around for awhile until the buff got the idea that the fence was bad news.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/31/10 05:33 AM
 Originally Posted By: catmandoo

I looked at their website. It looks like the only way to find the place is to be lost -- perfect for a roadkill cafe. We may just have to make that a Thursday day-trip there for a piece of Mrs. Snider's pie.

[By the way -- why aren't you out keeping the fools from turning themselves into roadkill this evening?
Our "trace to 1 inch of snow" measures about 7 inches. I guess you guys got whomped?]

They do have some GREAT pie and the BBQ Ribs are the best... Pretty country up there as well. I may actually be up there on Thursday myself. Let me know if you are making the trip and I'll meet you over there for dinner. Barb Snider is very nice.

Fortunately I have off this weekend! I had off the weekend of the last big snow storm in December as well so I have lucked out... We've got 9" of snow here in Stafford. My dad on the Northern Neck of VA is pushing over a foot now. Roads were a complete mess today! I was going to go into DC for the Washington Auto Show but decided to stay at home and forgo the insanity.
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/31/10 01:42 PM
JKB, A friend in MI sent me this article. Sounds like you guys have some big bear stock up there:

A huge hibernating male black bear was killed Nov. 2nd in southern Chippewa County when it was hit by a combine.
Neil Schlough of Brimley was harvesting corn in a field on the Pinehurst Farm at about 7 o'clock that evening a few miles north of the Mackinac county line, just off of South Maple Road , or about 5 miles north of Kinross.
The bear was denning in the field, having dug a hole about a foot deep to lay in and pulled in debris from the corn stalks in on top of itself.
According to his wife, Phyllis, Neil came upon the bear with the outside row of his combine head and drove the outside snout into the animal's neck and shoulder and pushed it about six or seven feet.
She said Neil felt the combine strike something and the outside snout was pushed up into the air (the combine wasn't damaged).
"He stepped out of the combine and saw that he had hit an animal," she said. "At first he thought one of our dairy steers over there had gotten out, went in the corn field, ate too much corn and died."
But it didn't take long for Neil to realize it was a bear, but it did take longer to realize how big it was. She said he called her and told her he thought it weighed about 300 pounds.
The DNR was called immediately and Conservation Warden Jim Cleven responded.
A skid steer was taken to the field, and the bear was lifted up so that it could be dressed out.
"With the lights ... we could see that it was a pretty big bear," Phyllis said. "But we had no idea until the locker plant put it on a scale that it weighed as much as it did."
The bear was taken to the Soo Locker Plant to be prepared for mounting. It was there that the animal was first weighed and measured.
Field dressed, the bear weighed in at 618 pounds and measured 7 feet from head to tail..
The Schloughs were told at the locker that they could add 80 to 100 pounds, depending on the size animal, to reach an approximate actual weight.
"So we figure that bear had to weigh at least 700. We figure 700 to 720," Phyllis said.
It's too early to tell if the massive animal will break any records since the skull has to be dried for 60 days before it can be scored.
Phyllis says they believe it has the potential to break the state mark and will probably break the Chippewa County record.
More common
DNR wildlife specialist Jess Carstens said, "This is a thing that, for whatever reason, is happening quite regularly that [bears] are denning up in the middle of fields and corn fields seem to be particularly common . due to the amount of debris from harvesting the c orn that's on the ground. There's a little more stuff to pull in on top of them as they snuggle into the hold that they've dug."
Phyllis reported that they frequently see bears on their land. And she said she recently saw a sow and cub in a corn field that was being harvested.
A full-body mount
After paying $75 to keep the bear, Neil is having the bear full-body mounted by Tom Persons, owner of TP Taxidermy.
"He's hardly ever had time to hunt or fish or anything because of farming," Phyllis said of Neil. " And so, he's going to keep the bear, and he's going to have it mounted. He's really proud of his trophy.."
She said they were told by Persons that he'll have to use a grizzly bear form to mount the bear because there aren't black bear mounts big enough to do the job.
Person reportedly also believes the bear to be 15 to 20 years old, but a tooth will be pulled during the mounting process to determine its age..
According to Wikipedia.com, male bears can reach 660 pounds, but exceptionally large males can weigh up to 800 pounds.
Phyllis said Neil was recently trying to come up with a name for the huge animal that will soon occupy a large amount of space somewhere in their home.
"I thought this was kind of funny. He said, 'I'm going to name that thing Hercules.' ... I thought Hercules for that bear was a good name."
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 01/31/10 02:46 PM
That is a huge black bear... Not many bears reach the 700 pound mark. Pennsylvania hunters usually kill a couple 700+ pound bears a year and maybe once every 5 years or so kill one over 800 pounds. A bear has to be in his prime in prime habitat to pull that off. Interesting the bear would pick an unharvested corn field to hibernate in.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 02/01/10 04:34 AM
Interesting the bear would pick an unharvested corn field to hibernate in.

CJ,

I think we touched on this before and we both commented they seem to be on the increase in parts of the country but don't know why. Could the black bears attempting to hibernate in cornfields indicate an increase in the population or perhaps a loss of habitat as in places to hibernate?

Thoughts?
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 02/01/10 04:41 AM
I honestly don't know. I know their numbers are definitely growing in most parts of their range. I suspect with growing numbers that would be more competition over hibernation spots. However, you'd think a bear of that size could have his choice of places... I have seen bears hibernate is some weird places though. People think they only crawl into caves and go into a deep sleep. Sometimes they do use rocky caves and such but generally they just curl up in a blow down that is thick. Where I hunt them in PA, they use mountain laurel and rhododendron thickets a lot.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 02/01/10 04:44 AM
Amazing they don't freeze to death being exposed that much.

Speaking of caves... I was watching something about caves on the Discovery Channel the other day. According to the narrator we've only discovered 10 percent of the caves on earth. Unbelievable!
Posted By: alexjoan Re: Anybody else ever have bison meat? - 03/15/10 06:04 AM
I’ve never had it, but I think it will become more popular if it’s less expensive than beef.
© Pond Boss Forum