Pond Boss
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Fall is just around the corner - 08/31/09 03:17 AM
Never got above 66 today and the low tonight (Sunday night) and through Wednesday is in the low to mid 40's. What about your neck of the woods?
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Fall is just around the corner - 08/31/09 03:50 AM
It was 85 today, but the humidity level was bearable for the first time in a week! Actually wasn't too bad... Supposed to drop into the high 50's tonight. The cold front we got after Tropical Storm Danny slid by has brought the nicer weather. Tomorrow it's supposed to only hit the low 70's which was our low last week with lows in the lower 50's tomorrow night. Time to plant the food plots for hunting over!
Posted By: MikeyBoy Re: Fall is just around the corner - 08/31/09 11:13 AM
it was about 100 today night low in the 60s
Posted By: 2catmom Re: Fall is just around the corner - 08/31/09 11:47 AM
Mikey:
I knew I should have stayed in California. You are lucky - did you ever get the girl a ring?
Posted By: jims place Re: Fall is just around the corner - 08/31/09 12:22 PM
Our local meteorologist said that “August 2009 will go in the record books as the 4th coolest on record”. if this is a sign of things to come, I hope Tom G has a 50 amp hook-up at his house, because me and my motor home are heading South this winter….Hello Texas!!!!!
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Fall is just around the corner - 08/31/09 12:33 PM
We just broke an all time August 31 low last night at 42 degrees. The old record was 48.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fall is just around the corner - 08/31/09 12:46 PM
Low last night was approx. 50F.

Tonight is supposed to be 46 which might be a record.

Talk about ending summer real quick!
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Fall is just around the corner - 08/31/09 12:46 PM
I think yesterday was the coldest I've ever been cutting hay (upper 60's and cloudy).
Posted By: jeffreythree Re: Fall is just around the corner - 08/31/09 01:09 PM
80's here for 3 days straight, whatever happened to the usual Texas August? And double the usual precip at the pond for August \:\) .
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Fall is just around the corner - 08/31/09 02:13 PM
It was mid eighties here at the Southern California coast yesterday. I went to Mom's place, which is inland from me, and it was in the 90s. As I write this the temperature reads 79.5 at 7:13am. It's gonna be a hot one today.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Fall is just around the corner - 08/31/09 03:41 PM
We have been in the 40s for a few nights with highs in the 60s to low 70s.
Posted By: 2catmom Re: Fall is just around the corner - 08/31/09 04:17 PM
Our lake water temp went from 80 to 70 in about one week. That's ok, next year will be the Summer of Funner!
Posted By: heybud Re: Fall is just around the corner - 08/31/09 05:15 PM
Was 61 degrees a couple of nights ago here in Goldthwaite America. Highs have been in the high 80's low 90's. This could go down as one of the hottest summers ever in Texas. Felt good this morning. Dove season opens tomorrow.
Posted By: MikeyBoy Re: Fall is just around the corner - 08/31/09 07:12 PM
 Originally Posted By: 2catmom
Mikey:
I knew I should have stayed in California. You are lucky - did you ever get the girl a ring?

No ring yet, job situation still spotty, little work here, little work there. However that has not stopped her family from trying to plan the wedding, and buy us various housewares just to be prepared ha ha.
Posted By: 2catmom Re: Fall is just around the corner - 08/31/09 09:08 PM
Don't let her get away, you know there are plenty of other "fish" in the sea, right?
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Fall is just around the corner - 09/01/09 07:13 AM
 Originally Posted By: heybud
Dove season opens tomorrow.
I love dove season! Some fast shooting and good times!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Fall is just around the corner - 09/01/09 10:01 AM
We have been seeing Monarch Butterflies for about a month. Usually, I don't see them until the end of September when they start migrating South. I have no idea whether or not this portends a really mean winter up North.
Posted By: esshup Re: Fall is just around the corner - 09/01/09 04:35 PM
My barn swallows have flown the coop as well. I think this winter will be a nasty one up here. I need to lay up a couple more cords of wood!
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Fall is just around the corner - 09/01/09 06:48 PM
I'm sure our doves have already headed south to enhance seasons down there instead of up here.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Fall is just around the corner - 09/01/09 07:59 PM
This is the first opening day of dove season I have missed in over 25 years-----going tonight though!
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Fall is just around the corner - 09/01/09 09:31 PM
They say the dove population peaks in December here in Virginia.
Posted By: TOM G Re: Fall is just around the corner - 09/02/09 02:40 PM
Lordy,it sure is nice not to be in the triple digits for a change.
Posted By: PFV Re: Fall is just around the corner - 09/05/09 12:20 AM
 Originally Posted By: heybud
Was 61 degrees a couple of nights ago here in Goldthwaite America. Highs have been in the high 80's low 90's. This could go down as one of the hottest summers ever in Texas.

You are kidding, right?
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Fall is just around the corner - 09/05/09 01:43 AM
This may be like rubbing salt in a wound to others.

We've had a fantastic summer here in northern West Virginia. It is currently 62 degrees. Even at the Old Folks Home on the Potomac, I had the air conditioning off since last Sunday. We haven't run it here at Catmandoo for almost two weeks. The garden has been prolific. The pond is only four inches below full pool.

Tonight, a beautiful full moon has risen over the treetops. As soon as I post this, I'm heading to the pond with some frozen shrimp and night crawlers to try and entice a few catfish in for a fish fry.

On Sunday, we've got friends and relatives invited for a holiday celebration that includes a fish fry, a BBQ of many kinds of home-made sausages and meat cuts, and a nearly-end-of-season garden gorge of tomatoes, corn, squash, beans, salad greens, and whatever. The forecast for our Sunday gathering is for a high of 76 with clear skies.

I'm now going to find a sweatshirt and some bait.

Life is good,
Ken
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Fall is just around the corner - 09/05/09 01:47 AM
I don't know Cat. Too good to be true isn't it? Kind of like the calm before a storm if you ask me. What if winter is cooler than normal as in coldest on record like our summer was here? \:o
Posted By: esshup Re: Fall is just around the corner - 09/05/09 02:28 AM
I hope I'm wrong Cecil, but that's my concern. Were you in this area for the winter of '78? Diesel trucks were stopping on Rt. 30 because of gelled fuel as they were running down the road. I remember spending the night at the Welco Truck Stop in Walkerton because I couldn't make it the 4 miles home due to the snow drifts on SR 23 between Walkerton and Koontz Lake. It was a cold one!!!
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Fall is just around the corner - 09/05/09 03:00 AM
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
I don't know Cat. Too good to be true isn't it? Kind of like the calm before a storm if you ask me. What if winter is cooler than normal as in coldest on record like our summer was here? \:o

Cecil,

I never like to temp fate. But, the tractor can handle a pretty good snow storm. I've got over 25 hours of tractor fuel in the shed, and that will get replenished in November. The tractor is 4WD, and I've got chains for the front and back tires. If a storm is too big for the plow, I've got two snow throwers. I still have a lot of cutting and splitting to do, but I have at least 10 cord, probably closer to 20 cord of oak, drying in the field. We usually burn about five cord in a season.

Lynda's car and my truck are both 4WD with good tires. The deer look fat. The squirrels are as sassy as ever. The fish are healthy. The garden is providing a bounty. Even now, the larder is reasonably stocked.

The toboggan and the grand kids are waiting. The snowshoes are hanging in the barn. I love winter, even if it comes early and hard.

I just wish the catfish had been hungry tonight.

Ken
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Fall is just around the corner - 09/05/09 03:02 AM
 Originally Posted By: esshup
I hope I'm wrong Cecil, but that's my concern. Were you in this area for the winter of '78? Diesel trucks were stopping on Rt. 30 because of gelled fuel as they were running down the road. I remember spending the night at the Welco Truck Stop in Walkerton because I couldn't make it the 4 miles home due to the snow drifts on SR 23 between Walkerton and Koontz Lake. It was a cold one!!!

I was in northern Michigan in college. We had the blizzard up there too. That monster covered several states at once.

About five years ago we had ice on the pond and lakes in November with storm after storm. I had 18 inches of ice on the pond that winter. By January it stayed cold but the snowstorms stopped. Remember that?
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Fall is just around the corner - 09/05/09 03:31 AM
I was in northern Michigan in college. We had the blizzard up there too.

I had planned to attend college at Michigan Tech in Houghton-Hancock way up on the UP (no, I'm not a Yooper). A great school, with a great curriculum and reputation, plus I had a number of relatives in the immediate area. During my senior year of high school I visited at Thanksgiving and Easter. I chose the U of Wisconsin in Superior, WI. Even though you couldn't see over the snow piles in the parking lots at UWS, they have several hundred fewer inches of snow each winter. Minus-40 is minus-40, whether in Wisconsin or Michigan, but 100 inches vs. 400 inches of snow does make a difference.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Fall is just around the corner - 09/05/09 03:49 AM
I was accepted at Northern Michigan University in Marquette. But instead went to a community college in Alpena that had a more specific program complete with a trout hatchery. Some snow in Alpena but it was on the wrong side (eastern) side of the state for serious lake effect snow.
Posted By: esshup Re: Fall is just around the corner - 09/05/09 05:06 AM
I was in northern Michigan in college. We had the blizzard up there too. That monster covered several states at once.

About five years ago we had ice on the pond and lakes in November with storm after storm. I had 18 inches of ice on the pond that winter. By January it stayed cold but the snowstorms stopped. Remember that?

Yeah, I remember shoveling, shoveling and shoveling. I also remember a boatload of snow falling about 12 years ago in March I think?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Fall is just around the corner - 09/06/09 07:19 PM
 Originally Posted By: esshup

Yeah, I remember shoveling, shoveling and shoveling. I also remember a boatload of snow falling about 12 years ago in March I think?

Sounds like that one that dropped 15 inches of snow and high winds completely filling in my driveway for almost a week.
Posted By: esshup Re: Fall is just around the corner - 09/06/09 09:23 PM
Sounds about right. I think we had more here due to Lake effect snow.
© Pond Boss Forum