Pond Boss
Posted By: jeffhasapond And now you know the rest of the story - 08/07/09 07:38 PM
Remember that great Paul Harvey radio show?

You would learn about a subject and then hear a twist at the end.

Well my during July visit with DIED and DWIED I learned a twist in their story and it gave me an idea. Many of us have posted about our lives, spouses, vocations, avocations, vacations, avacations, triumps, tragedies, food recipies and cooking disasters. But these are not all we each are.

Each one of us has done something unique in our lives and that story has not been told. Sure this could get humorous but what I'm really looking for is a factoid about your life that the rest of the forum doesn't know. Perhaps you collected rabbits, or raced motorcycles, or collected motorcycling racing rabbits, you know just an unusual factoid.

I'll start by outing DIED. I've come to know DIED fairly well, he's a great friend of mine. You all know that he's a geologist, an avid fisherman (and quite good I might add) a GSF officiando (has them over 1 pound) and an all around great guy. But there's something about my buddy Dave that you don't know. And here's the story....

DIED, DWIED, JWHAP and I were relaxing in DIED's living room drinking some beer and talking about the Pond Boss conference, which I had mentioned that I was not going to be able to attend this year. And suddenly Sunil's name came up (did you ever notice that no matter where you are in the world and no matter who you're talking to that Sunil's name always comes up? What's up with that?). We got to talking about Sunil's guitar collection.

So DIED suddenly says to me, "have you seen my guitar?"

Naturally I respond "What guitar?"

He says "hang on a minute" and walks away.

So I sit there drinking my beer and DIED comes back into the room with a sticker covered guitar case. He lays it on the floor opens it up and hands me a Fender 25th Anniversary Model Stratocaster. The guitar is absolutely beautiful.

So I say to Dave, "I had no idea you owned a Stratocaster. Do you play?"

Died shyly says "A little."

He sits on the couch, I hand him back the guitar and he begins an unreal guitar riff, he deftly switches between various pieces of music. JWHAP and I are completely blown away.

DWIED then says that Dave use to play in a band. I had absolutely no idea. Sure we've joked about Dave and the El Dorados but I never knew that DIED actually played a guitar (and quite well I might add).

So while out at dinner I'm telling DIED and I can't believe how good he is on the guitar, he smiles and say's "Well that's how I landed DWIED, the girls go wild for guitarists."

We both laugh and DWIED says, "Well although I do really like your guitar playing that's not the main reason I dated you. The main reason that I decided to date you was because your cute little butt."

......and now you know the rest of the story.
DIED of course is free to tell any other factiod about himself, I was just amazed about his guitar skills. (The last part of the story was just icing on the cake).

So tell us pond meisters, what is the rest of your story?

I'll post my own in a day or two.
thats just plain cheeky.....
I see what you did there. \:D
i will admit that guitar is sweet, but folks, i'm just really not that good....anymore....

i'm sensing a head chopping hi karate surfing muscle car cpa story from you jhap.....i know it will be good...
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: And now you know the rest of the story - 08/07/09 08:42 PM
Good stuff JHAP...

DIED, I want a YouTube video of your guitar playing!
Posted By: n8ly Re: And now you know the rest of the story - 08/07/09 09:50 PM
i'll bet there are more band members out there??? anyone else play in a band? or at least attempt to?
And who all has/had a cute little butt?
Posted By: heybud Re: And now you know the rest of the story - 08/08/09 11:57 AM
I played drums in a little band in high school. They kicked me out when they found out I didn't really know how to play drums. As far as the cute butt goes, I'm sure I had one. You probably couldn't tell it by looking at mine now though.
Come on folks don't be shy. It' doesn't have to be about music, it can be about anything. Perhaps you back packed in the Swiss Alps in college and learned to play the Derswoogler. I played the trumpet in grade school (much to the dismay of my parents, the neighbors and all of the canines in the area) but that's not my story. It will have nothing to do about music.

Theo, we know you're a gun collecting, rocket scientist farmer, but tell us a story about yourself, I know you have some great ones.

Heybud, I' know you've worked in the oil industry and know Texas very well, tell us more, or something completely different.

CJ, why law enforcement and an extensive knowledge about forage fish? When you were a child did you witness a forage fish kidnapping that led you to a life of solving crimes against breem?

Natester, with all of your water related adventures (you're the only person that I know that scuba dives in ponds and video tapes) but what don't we know.

Brettski, my brother in humor, tell us a story mang.

Sunil, come on man, I KNOW you have some great stories.

I'd love to hear a story from George, I know sir that you must have many.

Ewest, you linkaholic, tell us a story about yourself, or perhaps one about your father.

Tell us an interesting factiod or story folks. (Or you'll force me to post one about you, trust me you'd rather post your own story). Don't make me call you all out individually, post a little something. It won't hurt a bit.

Did you all notice this story? Great stuff!

Originally Posted By: edinbowen
Sunil, I'm a bit of an wandering vagabond and spent a majority of my adult life outside of the US - stationed in Germany, grad school in Scotland, and living in the Middle East since 2002 when I was assigned to Saudi Arabia and Qatar as an army explosive ordnance disposal officer. I worked in about 20 countries from 2002-2004, including Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Djibouti. Got out of the service in 2004, lived in Philly for 9 months, and missed the ME and the opportunities. I moved to Kuwait in 2005 and worked there for 2.5 years. I took a left out of the door one day instead of a right and was hired to run a company in Jordan in 2007. I'm GM of a refined petroleum products import/export company and should be in the ME at least through 2011. I love it over here - Amman is a beautiful city and Jordan has lots to offer. I'm engaged to a wonderful woman who was born in the US but raised in the Arab Gulf and Jordan. We're getting married at the Dead Sea in October and then heading to Mauritius for a couple weeks of honeymooning (hoping to sneak in a couple days of blue marlin fishing!). One thing that working over here has afforded me is the opportunity to travel and fish - I've been to India fishing for mahseer on the Ganges River, Egypt fishing for Nile perch on Lake Nasser, Sri Lanka fishing for barramundi (skunked on that trip but caught some tasty mackerel), Belize for bonefish on the flats, and Brazil for just about everything including 100+lb catfish and 6lb piranha. I've been blessed to have lived a pretty full life - ran with the bulls in Pamplona, jumped out of airplanes in the army, defused live explosives, was interrogated in Bulgaria by some very bored police officers, searched for whiskey on the black market in Sudan (I was thirsty), and some other things best left unwritten though man they were fun, lol. But for me, hooking and fighting a fish are by far the biggest thrill. So I'm just reading and learning from all the smart pondmeisters on this site so hopefully one day I can turn my ponds into some very nice fisheries for friends and family to enjoy.

Originally Posted By: Cecil
When I was in the ANG our area of operation was the Middle East. Fortunately we just missed Desert Storm by 20 minutes (the war ended early) and I was out by 92 before the Iraqi Invasion. I would have gladly served in the war zone but glad I didn't.

See more good stuff, tells us more Cecil.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: And now you know the rest of the story - 08/08/09 03:40 PM
JHAP I wish I was more exciting...
Posted By: catmandoo Re: And now you know the rest of the story - 08/08/09 06:03 PM
My wife made me set Patsy Cline's outhouse on fire. Does that count?
i left my mom's tupperware at elizabeth taylor's house, and she's never forgiven me. does that count?
Posted By: george1 Re: And now you know the rest of the story - 08/08/09 09:10 PM
I grew up in the Great Depression and as a result I am VERY FRUGAL - NEVER bought anything on long term credit except a house and a car one time.

The rest of the story:
My favorite uncle gave me a pair of cowboy boots for Christmas one year and I lived in them - probably slept in them - and wore out the heels.

There was a dis-abled WWI veteran that lived across the road and did shoe repair. I gave him a quarter for repair.

When my mother found out she cried and I was in deep doo-doo.
Don't remember where I got the quarter.

Jeff, does this count?
Posted By: Sunil Re: And now you know the rest of the story - 08/09/09 12:04 AM
Yes, it counts.
Posted By: Sunil Re: And now you know the rest of the story - 08/09/09 02:14 AM
I have a lot of holes in my guitar playing/knowledge/theory, so I take lessons. Right now, I'm forty and my guitar teacher is a 24-year old punk. The kid is a jazzer. Really, really good, but I'm a rock player. So this kid is trying to make me stop using a pick and just use my fingers.

I wanted to kill this kid.

But I stuck with it and now my study piece is Girl from Ipanema playing the chords, bass, and melody concurrently. It's a little sloppy right now but getting better every day.

My overall playing has improved greatly and I am really enjoying playing without a pick even though I go to the pick when playing rock.

Oddly enough, I've ending uplife-coaching this punk-jazzer kid now.
I attended the University of Nebraska on a bowling scholarship my freshman year.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: And now you know the rest of the story - 08/09/09 02:36 AM
What was your average to get this scholarship?
Generally between 190 and 200
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: And now you know the rest of the story - 08/09/09 02:45 AM
I honestly didn't know you could get a scholarship for one's bowling talents...
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
I honestly didn't know you could get a scholarship for one's bowling talents...

Evidently you can.
Posted By: Sunil Re: And now you know the rest of the story - 08/09/09 03:02 AM
Bruce, seeing as you were probably at college in the early '80s, how did the "yes, I'm here on a bowling scholarship" go over with the ladies?
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
Bruce, seeing as you were probably at college in the early '80s, how did the "yes, I'm here on a bowling scholarship" go over with the ladies?

It went exactly like you'd imagine.
Dynamite on Cornhusker ladies, ehh?
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
Dynamite on Cornhusker ladies, ehh?

You have no idea how many chicks I didn't get like that!
Posted By: jakeb Re: And now you know the rest of the story - 08/09/09 03:48 AM
I have a somewhat humerous story that may fit this thread.

When I was 6 my brother 7 and my cousin 8. We looked like stair steps and almost identical. My uncle took the three of us to spotlight deer. His son ( my cousin ) was just getting into hunting and wanted to see some deer because they only get to come to my home once a year or so. So we were young, all in the front of the truck and all got to shoot a gun for the first time and were having a great time.

Before we left on this venture, my dad told my uncle (his brother) not to spotlight deer because it is illegal, and the game warden has been around. well we went to "the spot" its certain that you will see deer at dusk. So we got the spotlight out and were just looking at them when a vehicle pulled up behind us, and sure enough it was the game warden.

To set the scence we had 3 guns with us a .410 borrowed from a family friend, a 20ga and 12 ga that belong to my uncle. The three of us were scared stiff when the warden asked my uncle to step out and come talk to him.

The three of us wondered what was going on so we rolled down the windows and could hear "parts" of the conversation. I had no idea what was going to happen, I assumed my uncle was going to jail for sure and we were going to be left there to walk home.

We began to listen to the converation and this is what we all heard. my uncle was asked "how many he had" the answer from my uncle was 3. He was then told "well im going to have to take one of them with me". My heart sank, I knew at that moment he would put me up on the choping block to go to jail. There was no way he would give up his only son, or my brother for that matter. I knew it would be me. Sure enough my uncle answers with " take the little one because its not mine!!!!" he said it like he never gave it a second thought.

I immediately started saying goodbye to my brother and cousin, I asked them if they knew why i would have to go to jail, they had no answer. I was on the brink of crying.

My uncle came to the truck, opened the door, looked into my puppy eyes giving my best dont take me to jail look, and said, "could you get out jake?" I was ready to take one for the team so I got out and proceded to take the long walk to the game wardens truck.

My uncle asked me where i was going so i told him the story, and this then he laughed and the game warden may have too, I dont really remember.

He then straightened me out. and filled in the parts of the conversation me and the other two could not hear.

He gave up the little one that was not his because it was the .410 from the friend. ( it was the smallest gun, I was the smallest kid, the gun was not his just like he was not my dad) He made me get out of the truck so he could get the gun from behind the seat.

So finally I realized I was not going to jail, and had a pretty good story to tell. Just happened to have 3 guns and 3 kids, the next one a slightly larger version of the last. The game wared took the gun the light and gave us a fine.

Hope this made sense, sorry its so long. but now you know the rest of the story.

Posted By: n8ly Re: And now you know the rest of the story - 08/09/09 04:25 AM
My wife and I built our home 4 years ago. It took 8 months of nights and weekends to build and many friends and family volunteered to help along the way. Anyhow we used leftover stone from some apartment building, leftover windows, leftover concrete siding, bathtubs, toilets, beams, trim etc. I even turned leftover oak hardwood flooring into our railing and newel posts along the loft. My dad and older brother build custom homes and most everything is special ordered and unreturnable when customers change their minds.

Anyhow, we have put our house up for sale and have our first open house Sunday from 2-4 pm. http://www.forsalebyowner.com/listing/7B315
We are going to rent for 2 years while we either fix up a place or build another.

Oh yeah, Bruce, I own my own bowling ball. I bet there arent many others that own their own ball???
Posted By: JoeG Re: And now you know the rest of the story - 08/09/09 11:54 AM
Was that under the prestigious "Roy Munson Scholarship" Bruce???
LOL \:\)
Once upon a time, in a galaxy far, far away, I was a traveling pool hustler. My "territory" were the Arizona copper mining towns of Miami, Superior and Globe. I still have a few visible scars from those days. My only momento of those days is a cue stick named Hot Lips.

I almost joined the Professional Bowling Association, but Uncle Sam was knocking at my door and that ended my entry into the PBA.

I have been a Lobbyist and testified in both Austin and Washington DC.

I have "ridden my thumb" to both coasts.

I have way too much formal education, a significant amount of street smarts and not a lick of common sense. "What was I thinking?"

I have learned the hard way to stay away from street bikes, flashy women, new products, any woman with a Lawyer, rank bulls and horses with that certain look in their eye.

I never forget an insult and have a friend named Sancho Panza.

I generally keep about 15 to 20 current, incomplete, projects around that I need to get onto. When I screw things up really badly, I open a beer and call Tom G.

66 years old (My father told me that I would never live to vote. "Boy, somebody is going to blow your damn head off.") 3 daughters, 6 Grandkids and 2 Great Grandkids. I like kids.
This is great folks. Exactly what I was looking for. Keep them coming.
Posted By: Rad Re: And now you know the rest of the story - 08/09/09 02:16 PM
It took 23 different schools to get me through high school, I have lived in 4 of the 5 corners of the US, I was married to the same woman 3 times. I have a father and a grandson who have traveled around Cape Horn on an aircraft carrier. I met Elvis Presley in Germany and had breakfast with Andy Williams in Las Vegas. Meadowlark and I worked for the same company and as for Sunil's name coming up in conversation, the answer seems simple, at least to me, you guys were drinking beer, a natural association.
 Originally Posted By: george1
Jeff, does this count?

You bet George. My father also grew up during the Great Depression and had much of the same values. He also had a pair of boots (construction type lace up boots) that he had resoled on many occasions. He use to say that a good pair of broken in boots were your best friend. It took me quite a few years to understand that.

The house is beautiful Natester!

Rad, how and why Thailand?

More stories, this is great!

Posted By: MikeyBoy Re: And now you know the rest of the story - 08/09/09 07:12 PM
I know I don't have much age to have developed an amazing story but I will try to chime in.

In college I went up to my friends dorm room and asked what she was up to. She told me she was going to move to Australia for a semester and asked if I wanted to join. I promptly said yes.

And that was how i ended up living in Australia for 5 months. I ended up getting a good buddy of mine to join, he didn't need much convincing either.

My first week there I road a Sea Turtle at the Great Barrier Reef. Got stuck knee deep in a crocodile, jellyfish, and stingray infested estuary (the lifeguard was very upset I was in there) and almost got evicted from my apartment.

Heaps good time.
Mikeyboy, I must disagree with you, that IS an amazing story! And with your spirit of adventure you'll have a life time of adventures to write about when you're my age (51). Keep the desire for a quest for adventure and knowledge and who knows where life will take you. You're off to a great start already!

Keep these great stories coming folks.
Posted By: Brettski Re: And now you know the rest of the story - 08/09/09 10:29 PM
 Originally Posted By: catmandoo

...only if she was in it
Posted By: catmandoo Re: And now you know the rest of the story - 08/10/09 01:50 AM
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
 Originally Posted By: catmandoo

...only if she was in it

I was hoping to find photos of this whole episode before I told "the rest of the story." Unfortunately, I can't find them.

It is true that Patsy Cline (Ginny Hensley) was born in Winchester, VA, because that is where the closest hospital is still located. Her family lived just up the road from where I now live, in what is technically Gore, VA. I go by the Triangle Diner and Gaunt's Drug everyday -- places where she worked when she was a teenager.

Fast forward from the 1930s/1940s to the 1990s . . .

A "city" family bought the farm where I now live. They wanted some West Virginia "country decorations." The closest neighbor was Pasty Cline's cousin. The old Hensley home, about a half mile away was covered in vines and brush. They took a pickup truck and got the old outhouse and a window from the house. The outhouse was in our backyard when we moved in.

We knew it was the Pasty Cline family's outhouse when we bought the place, but we didn't know the history. It had two pink toilet seats, a tin roof, and a number of old Virginia license plates nailed to the walls and door.

I wanted to donate it to the Pasty Cline historical group. My wife was worried that it was illegally taken -- so it was a stolen outhouse. She also thought it was pretty ugly. It was made from rough-cut oak boards, and had a corrugated tin roof.

My wonderful wife convinced me to use the tractor to push it into the burn pit, where I set it on fire one October evening while she was at a community volunteer group meeting with quite a few people who knew the history -- but we didn't know it at the time.

As we found out in subsequent years, it wasn't stolen. The grandson of Pasty Cline's cousin now lives on the property adjacent to mine. He told me most of the story. Other neighbors have told me other parts of the story.

We unfortunately burned a historic outhouse.
Posted By: Sunil Re: And now you know the rest of the story - 08/10/09 02:04 AM
That's one down the tubes so to speak.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: And now you know the rest of the story - 08/10/09 02:31 AM
One more . . .

I grew up where Manitoba and Ontario were much closer to me than the adjacent US States of Iowa and Illinois.

A little over 40 years ago, when I was almost 22 years old and still in college, Uncle Sam sent me an invitation for a six year all expenses paid tour of much warmer climates far away from Northern Wisconsin and Northern Minnesota.

Uncle Sam sent me a train ticket from Duluth to Minneapolis and a plane ticket from Minneapolis to San Diego. When I got to San Diego, Uncle Sam gave me a hair cut, new clothes, some shots in my arm, and free room and board.

A day or so after arriving in San Diego, I went to the Navy Exchange to buy a few little articles that Uncle Sam didn't put in my new "ditty bag."

When I took some money out of my wallet, the young lady behind the counter said I couldn't pay for my few items with "that stuff."

I was confused. She told me that was "foreign money." I slowly mumbled a jaw dropping and long dumb "huh??" I said that it was not foreign money -- it was Canadian money. She told me, in no uncertain terms, that was "FOREIGN MONEY!" It took me a while to comprehend that she wasn't going to take my money. Two of my cousins, and several other friends from my home area had the same experience.

Forty years ago today, I left boot camp in San Diego -- still with a fair amount of Canadian money in my wallet. After my 30 days of relaxation in Northern Minnesota and Northern Wisconsin, I made sure I had none of "that stuff" in my wallet as I headed to school in San Francisco.

I liked it a lot better when the Canadians were still our best friends and weren't those imagined radicals above the frost line. (To this day, I still feel they have bigger fish and better fishing than we do!) I now wonder how many times the old roads on the Minnesota/Manitoba/Ontario lines crossed between the countries without checkpoints -- when we visited the cousins, aunts, and uncles without a passport and lots of paperwork to come back after renting a car.
from bowling to cleaning teeth....truly fascinating \:\)

Good stuff JHAP...

DIED, I want a YouTube video of your guitar playing!

i couldnt take the peer pressure anymore....

http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i9/jdsmith2/misc/?action=view¤t=MaryGSF.flv

yer next sunil...
Posted By: Sunil Re: And now you know the rest of the story - 08/28/09 02:14 AM
Oh yeah!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: And now you know the rest of the story - 08/28/09 05:26 AM
That is great DIED! I never thought you'd actually make a video, how dare I doubt you... You are quite talented! Wanna play at my wedding? HAHA
Posted By: Brettski Re: And now you know the rest of the story - 08/28/09 10:44 AM
Rock me baby!
Good one, Dave. Do you maintain your callouses, or do you work with sore finger tips when friends and family bug ya to jam?
Posted By: TOM G Re: And now you know the rest of the story - 08/28/09 02:11 PM
Oncor oncor
DIED, you rock! See folks I told you DIED had mad guitar skills. And you thought this was just another one of my stories.

Right on my brother, thank you for making the video and posting it, that is truly awesome my good friend.
Posted By: Sunil Re: And now you know the rest of the story - 08/28/09 02:29 PM
TOM G, you are dangerously close to a phone call.

You mean "Encore, encore!"
That is great DIED! I never thought you'd actually make a video, how dare I doubt you... You are quite talented! Wanna play at my wedding? HAHA

i'd love to play at the reception, but only after the bar has been open for a while...

Originally Posted By: Brettski
Rock me baby!
Good one, Dave. Do you maintain your callouses, or do you work with sore finger tips when friends and family bug ya to jam?

very perceptive b'ski, they used to be so thick i couldnt a feel a thing, now after 10 minutes of playing i need first aid for the bleeding and wimper like a baby for the next three days.

BTW, that video was the second take, i could barely get through those last couple chords, on the first take i found out two of my power chords and my "cry baby" are shot.

Originally Posted By: TOM G
Oncor oncor

nah, i'm done for probably another 6 months or so tom, but thanks for the props

Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
DIED, you rock! See folks I told you DIED had mad guitar skills. And you thought this was just another one of my stories.

Right on my brother, thank you for making the video and posting it, that is truly awesome my good friend.

jhap, my "skills" are a dime a dozen, but i'm tickled you had fun w/ this, i did too....i wont be quittin the day job anytime soon....

Originally Posted By: Sunil
TOM G, you are dangerously close to a phone call.

You mean "Encore, encore!"

c'mon sunil, you have the encore......i gave you a taste of an old strat w/ an old amp, now lets hear one of yer sweet new axes.. \:\)

and the crowd screams "su neeel! su neel! su neeel!"
Posted By: Sue Cruz Re: And now you know the rest of the story - 08/28/09 05:26 PM
Rock On!!
DWIED saw the DIED video last night, she caught a major discrepancy in something, did anybody else notice it?

Boy am i an ignoramus or what?...LOL....

BIG hint:
all you guys/gals are much better at sunfish ID than music ID...including me
Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Strat,
How I wonder where you're at.
Up above the world so far,
Where the heck's your whammy bar?

\:D \:D \:D

Since I really like the guitar playing theme of this thread, I decided to post my story else where.

The rest of JHAP's story...
you got it theo, twinkle twinkle little green sunny.....

i'm such a dolt sometimes...

the whammy bar is in the case, never used it much..
© Pond Boss Forum