Pond Boss
LOCATIONS ALONG AND SOUTH OF ROUTE 6
WILL SEE SIGNIFICANT ICE ACCUMULATIONS WITH MANY SPOTS SEEING
UPWARDS OF A HALF INCH OF ICE AND SOME LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS.

We used to have a small propane tank that we could fire up in the fireplace as a back up in case power went out (We have geothermal). Unfortunately the gas company came out and removed the tank because they said we weren't buying enough. Gee Thanks!

If you don't see my pesky posts for a few days you'll know why! No power!
Pretty ugly here, too. I gettin' ready to skate to work.
We got that ice day before yesterday and it froze the gas main putting everyone in town out of gas,hense no heat.The temp was 26.Today however,is going to be mid 70s.
We didn't get as much ice here as a couple of days ago but got ice with rain pouring down on top of it. Even my gravel drive was slippery. Pretty miserable working conditions out in this stuff.
I got lucky and the second half of the rain last night melted the first half of the rain that froze.
We had 1/2" to 1" of freeezing rain/sleet last night with some occassional lightning and thunder. Schools are closed this morning in Lincoln but the roads are OK, just a little slow going. Most of what came down was frozen before it hit the gound.

Well we still have power ( I can still post obviously) but I measured about 3/8's inches of ice on the trees. Still raining but sporadic so hopefully it will let up.
we're getting rain here today.

cecil, grab a pic or two if possible adn post em up, i'd love to see a good ol fashion eastern ice storm again. i grew up in MD, and remember them fondly (and not so fondly).
It hit about 70 here today. By Sunday morning it just might be in the teens.

I hate it when your berries freeze.
AWESOME SHOTS cecil!! thanks, that brings back alot of memories.

our roof is frozen over today. the roofers came in to finish up work but had to leave until it thaws out. after today they are forecasting rain every day for the next week.
DIED has the pond filled ?
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
I hate it when your berries freeze.

Just for those of you that don't know those are Asparagas plants and berries. After you harvest as many aparagas as needed you allow them to grow back for the year. Next spring I will cut all this down and allow the new shoots to come up.
I must say, Cecil, those asparagus plants towering over the park bench are much bigger than they grow down here. \:D
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
I must say, Cecil, those asparagus plants towering over the park bench are much bigger than they grow down here. \:D

Yeah it's the soil. How do you think I grow such big fish? \:D
Checking in with -12 degrees and honkin' wind.
-
(edit; make that -14)
birch trees are taking a pounding

22 inches in less than a week, hoping for a white Christmas! \:\/

-3 when I woke up this morning. Wind gusting to 35 mph.
High of 4 degrees today and 5 degrees for tomorrow. Wind chills
-25 to -30 degrees.
It was a balmy 27 here this morning. We had nice sunshine all day as the temp dropped. I worked on my tan for a 1/2 hour this afternoon (took my hat off).

We get N8ly & Brettski's weather here tomorrow - down to 7 tonight.
I recently acquired an indoor/outdoor thermometer. It is the Weather Channel one. Pretty neat. Right now it is 32.2 outside and should be about 1/2 that by morning. It tells me whether I want to go outside.
Around 10 degrees F for a low tonight around these parts, but maybe high 40's or low 50's for X-mas.
 Originally Posted By: adirondack pond

Not a chance Dude!

Do the deer actually survive winter up there? \:o
6 or 7 F this morning.

"F" doesn't have to stand for Fahrenheit when you get into your car this morning.
 Originally Posted By: Sunil

"F" doesn't have to stand for Fahrenheit when you get into your car this morning.

-12....again
F
Crazy,Im south of DD1 and its colder here than where he is.Of coarse being Texas we'll be back up to 60-70* in the next few days.
Yep, in a couple of days we are scheduled for the 60's.
Every winter's a disappointment, Dave. Seems like just when we're enjoying that invigorating thirty degree weather we have that seventy degree stuff dumped on us again.
 Originally Posted By: Dudley Landry
Every winter's a disappointment, Dave. Seems like just when we're enjoying that invigorating thirty degree weather we have that seventy degree stuff dumped on us again.

You poor, unfortunate gentlemen.
Hey we have heavy snow and possibly more freezing rain coming starting Tuesday evening. Other than a drive to Celina, Ohio and stop on the way back in Indiana to drop of Christmas mounts I'm going to hunker down before Christmas!

We still have ice on our trees from last week!

Winter Storm Watch

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA
344 PM EST MON DEC 22 2008

...ANOTHER WINTER STORM POSSIBLE FOR TUESDAY AFTERNOON INTO
WEDNESDAY MORNING...

.ANOTHER POTENT STORM SYSTEM IS EXPECTED TO AFFECT THE REGION
TUESDAY INTO WEDNESDAY...WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR HEAVY SNOWS AND
SIGNIFICANT ICING ACROSS PORTIONS OF THE REGION...

\:o
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
 Originally Posted By: adirondack pond

Not a chance Dude!

Do the deer actually survive winter up there? \:o

Cecil, our deer have learned how to snowmachine.

The deer have to mug snowmobilers to make it through the Winter. Evidently the horrible stories I have heard about crime in NY are true, even upstate. \:o
The deer don't like the term mugging, they prefer it as a Bailout .
Did anybody hear about the elephant in India that held up traffic until someone gave him something to eat. It's true this elephant knew exactly what he was doing!
Timestamp...its 72 on my front porch this morning.
Freezing rain again and 27 F. here now. Temp supposed to rise above freezing and heavy rain tomorrow. Ever since it officially became winter the weather's been screwed up around here.
48 degrees here this morning and the big melt is on. \:\)
62 degrees now, most of our snow cover is now gone. \:\)
All of the ice came off of one of my smaller ponds.

My biggest pond looks treacherous. The wind is blowing several inches of standing water around on top of the ice, which was only 5 inches thick anyway.
Thanks for the report Bruce, I was wondering what this warm weather and all the run off was going to do to the ice fishing.
I've got water on my ponds but no ice melting that I know of. I think my ice will hold as it's supposed to get cold again soon.
Rain and 40's here today, high of 68 forecast for tomorrow with more rain tomorrow night. I think my current residual ice will be gone shortly.
We set a new "high" temperature today...77. The record had stood at 74 since 1907. Windows are open and I broke a sweat today...weird. Thunderstorms in the forecast. Just looked at The Weather Channel and looks like Shawn Banks may be in for some severe weather right now.

I woke up to 61 degrees and thunderstorms with tornado warnings. I bet Shawn got hammered. If we get any more rain, we will have some pretty good flooding! The ice is still safe, but you have to use a plank to get out onto it.
What a strange night we just had!!! The pond geek in me just drove the countryside looking at ponds. I saw several that were spilling a lot of water using the emergency spillways. The ponds are still iced-up but the quick snow melt we had the past two days followed my the violent thunderstorms last night have wreaked havoc on some of the ponds.

I was up most of the night listening for the freight train sound. We had some strong winds but no tornados. The temps are dropping again and ice is forming on all of the trees. I used to love winter but the older I get the more I appreciate wearing shorts and sweating. Once deer season ends, I'm usually ready for spring!
I can see bare ground now and have to wipe my dogs muddy paws off every time I bring her back in. I would prefer cold temps and deep snow myself vs. warm temps, mud, and freezing rain.

As far as the ice on the ponds I don't think I'd try them right now. Lots of water on top. On the bright side there is no chance of the white death right now.
I believe the worst is yet to come for my area. Ice fishing yesterday was great, so was watching the girls ice-skate (who would've known I married Peggy Fleming), today however, 1-2 inches of water on top of ice, with a lot more coming. 61 degrees in Crown Point currently, with rain.
I just had to do it!

Today was 67 degrees and I went ice fishing in shorts and a t-shirt!
Wow n8ly that is super just hauling them out. Very jealous we are warming up now +10F we have been hovering b/t -20 and -40F for the last two weeks. Not bad in an ice shack with the wood stove going catching RT and YP at a local lake.
Well it's cooling back down now this morning here. 29 F. right now. I still have ice. Wind is still blowing hard. I live in a three storied log home almost at the top of a hill broadside to a 600 acre open field. It felt like the house was going to blow down last night with 40 mph winds!
Blair,
You got any pics of those canadian fish?
 Originally Posted By: n8ly
Blair,
You got any pics of those canadian fish?

There are no fish in Canada. They freeze out every year and they have to restock.
\:D \:D nice one Cecil

No guys I do not have any pics of them. This is a stocked lake for RT and someone placed pearch into it. This lake 120ac 30' deep spot then the rest is around 15'. They run a big aeration system with no difuser just one open pipe i think. We lost alot of perch in it last spring because it cools off the lake to much(i got that info on this site) with this 2ac of open water -20f to -40. I am sure thats why the lake had a partial perch winter kill. The lake is very turbid making the perch poorly coloured and not worth taking pics but i will try.
Sorry for the hijack guys. Cecil I would take -40 over 40mph wind any day.
 Originally Posted By: blair5002
Sorry for the hijack guys. Cecil I would take -40 over 40mph wind any day.

Hijacked thread? Why changing the topic of the thread on this site is so common it's expected Blair. No problem here!
© Pond Boss Forum