Pond Boss
Posted By: Dwight The Six Beers of Christmas - 12/04/08 10:03 PM
This subject isn't political, though there are several countries involved.

Holland, Czech Republic, Denmark, Italy, Poland, Mexico

Posted By: bobad Re: The Six Beers of Christmas - 12/04/08 10:15 PM

Posted By: Dwight Re: The Six Beers of Christmas - 12/04/08 10:28 PM
bobad, Those all look very interesting. Tell us about Abita Beer. That Raspberry Wheat beer sounds kinda scary.
Posted By: jeffreythree Re: The Six Beers of Christmas - 12/04/08 11:21 PM
Nice selections, all good. If you can find it, Shiner Holiday Cheer is my holiday choice this year, can't find the camera for a photo. Brewed with Texas peaches and pecans, but not as fruity as it sounds. Mmmm, good!
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: The Six Beers of Christmas - 12/04/08 11:28 PM
My family enjoys ogling the "strange beer" section at one local supermarket, featuring the likes of stuff like "Dirty Bastard Ale" and "Dead Dog Beer". It makes the beer Sunil drinks (when he's letting himself go, not being limited to Corona) sound normal.
Posted By: Weissguy Re: The Six Beers of Christmas - 12/04/08 11:42 PM
Possibly one of the worst beers I've had but with a great name:

"Dirt Cheap Beer"

From the Dirt Cheap Liquor stores around St. Louis. They also have Dirt Cheap Whiskey, Dirt Cheap Vodka, etc.
Posted By: Sunil Re: The Six Beers of Christmas - 12/05/08 12:44 AM
I must say that I like the thought put behind Dwight's stacking of the various beers.

You can't just go overboard with one brand as you'll topple the whole stack.

Variety is the spice of life, or so I heard.
Posted By: Dwight Re: The Six Beers of Christmas - 12/05/08 01:30 AM
Sunil, What are your six Christmas beers? Bare your soul, man! ;\)
Posted By: Sunil Re: The Six Beers of Christmas - 12/05/08 01:38 AM
I'm still hurting real bad over here, Dwight.

If you recall, my brand, Henninger, made a decision to drop 12oz. bottles and only supply 16oz. cans.

Problem is that they have not yet delivered any cases to my supplier. It's been about 5 or 6 weeks. I'm such a creature of habit.

My replacement of choice has been a beer called Hansa. They come in 16oz. bottles only, which I call "Space Shuttles," because their emblem has a very 'space program' type look, and the bottle is shaped a little like the space shuttle. Problem here is that you're not always ready to have multiple 16oz. beers.

As a backup, I've been drinking Peroni, Stella, Pacifico, and I've just bought a case of Corona.

EDIT: I failed to mention that the "Space Shuttles" seem to have a bit more alcohol, so you sometimes feel like your going to the moon.
Posted By: Dwight Re: The Six Beers of Christmas - 12/05/08 02:12 AM
Sunil, I empathize... \:\(

Beer in a can, even you favorite brand, is a sad substitute.

Your backup beers are good, though Stella is hard to get here.

Posted By: Rad Re: The Six Beers of Christmas - 12/05/08 02:16 AM
Sunil,
Not going to get much sympathy here, bottles are 640ml (21.6 oz) that is one hangover per six pack, but they are only sold individually or in 12 packs.

We have half dozen different brands of local beer, but only two things separate them, they all taste the same, borderline bad. There are imports, but it is a craps shoot as you never know how long or how it was stored, sun aged beer seldom wins any gold medals.

Price, Heineken is the most expensive; Singha is next, then the rest. Second difference is alcohol content. They advertise either 5.4 or 6.4 %. The 6.4, called Chang (elephant) varies from 2% to 13%, it therefore is the favorite. The locals feel they have hit the lottery when they get back to back 13s. Any case could contain any mixture; Chang uses the same quality control throughout, from brewing to packaging. A novel approach that seems to work, the owner is the second richest man in the country.
Posted By: Sunil Re: The Six Beers of Christmas - 12/05/08 02:30 AM
I feel only a little bit better, Rad, but thanks Mabro.

The story reminds me of Jamaica back in the late '80s.

They only had three beers on the Island being Heineken, Red Stripe, and Dragon Stout. All three were brewed on the island, and of course, all bottles were recycled.

I swear the Heineken and the Red Stripe were one and the same. The Dragon Stout, however, was real. It kind of tasted like cold teryaki sauce, but a little bit sweeter and thicker. It was the only dependable choice.
Posted By: the stick Re: The Six Beers of Christmas - 12/05/08 03:03 AM
Grolsch, Harp, Corona, Modelo, Fosters Lager and Michelob Lager in no particular order.

Ho! Ho! Ho!
the stick
Posted By: burgermeister Re: The Six Beers of Christmas - 12/05/08 04:05 AM
Ziegenbock, MGD(not 64, which taste like water), my new favorite, Land Shark from Margaritaville brewery, Jacksonville, Fla., Modelo Negra, Abita Amber, Killians Irish Red.

The heavier I get, the heavier the beer I like.
Posted By: Rainman Re: The Six Beers of Christmas - 12/05/08 04:26 AM
 Originally Posted By: Weissguy
Possibly one of the worst beers I've had but with a great name:

"Dirt Cheap Beer"

From the Dirt Cheap Liquor stores around St. Louis. They also have Dirt Cheap Whiskey, Dirt Cheap Vodka, etc.

Dirt Cheap is BIG in St. Louis! I love the advertisements----Remember! The more she drinks, the better you look!!!!
Posted By: Rainman Re: The Six Beers of Christmas - 12/05/08 04:32 AM
Whatever happened to Little Kings Cream Ale? Sold as an 8-pack in green 7oz bottles. Served nearly frozen it was about the smoothest drink you could have. Above 40 degrees it was more like sewage. I believe it was around 12% alchohal too.
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: The Six Beers of Christmas - 12/05/08 04:35 AM
Dwight -- lately, I've been enjoying 90 Schilling.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: The Six Beers of Christmas - 12/05/08 10:32 AM
 Originally Posted By: Rainman
Whatever happened to Little Kings Cream Ale?

Judging from one personal experience (about 30 years ago), everyone who drank it either died or wished they would.

I imagine that would have nixed it's market share.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: The Six Beers of Christmas - 12/05/08 11:34 AM
Gotta admit it; after a lot of taste tests, I went back to the King of Beers. I stay with cans because the bottles kept cutting my hands and knees.
Posted By: Brettski Re: The Six Beers of Christmas - 12/05/08 11:37 AM
Dave has gotten selective with his bar-room brawls. He only goes to can places.
Posted By: george1 Re: The Six Beers of Christmas - 12/05/08 12:34 PM
I am offended that not ONE mention of Shiner Bock, the “Best Little Brewery in Texas”.

Due to fear of PB moderators, I’ll refrain from mentioning that my second and third choices are Negra Modelo and Corona, brewed by the Modelo Brewery of Mexico, by the family of billionaire wife of native Texan Tony Garza, U. S. Ambassador to Mexico. ... \:D
Posted By: Sunil Re: The Six Beers of Christmas - 12/05/08 01:21 PM
No anti-Mexico sentiments here. I drank about two cases of Dos Equis Amber a week for about 12 years.

You know though, the Dos Equis label says that the beer was brewed by some German monks who ended up in Mexico in the 1800s for whatever reason.
Posted By: Brett295 Re: The Six Beers of Christmas - 12/05/08 01:32 PM
Schlafly micro brew in St. Louis has my favorite seasonal out right now, Imperial Stout. Winter always brings an end to fishing but a start to good beer. Schlafly brews all the good stuff during the winter. Right now they have their ESB and Coffee stout as well as the Imperial Stout. I'm looking forward to the Barley Wine which is aged in oak barrels, a bottle of that stuff will certainly take the winter chill off (10.5% ABV).

Give me a beer with a high level of IBU and malt, a pond boss mag, and a warm fire and I'm happy.

Since this is the 6 beers of christmass I better list them out. Schlafly: Barley Wine, Imperial Stout, ESB (extra special bitter), Coffee Stout,
Dogfish Head: 90 Minute IPA (India Pale Ale)
Meantime: IPA
Posted By: Sunil Re: The Six Beers of Christmas - 12/05/08 01:34 PM
No Mickey's Big Mouth for anyone?
Posted By: Brett295 Re: The Six Beers of Christmas - 12/05/08 01:38 PM
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
No Mickey's Big Mouth for anyone?

Only in college. Even then only when money was realy tight. I don't know if it was the volume I drank of that stuff or the actual beer itselff but Mickeys used to give me the worst hangovers. Horrible. I cringe just thinking about it.
Posted By: Sunil Re: The Six Beers of Christmas - 12/05/08 02:04 PM
It's only becaues it was malt liquor. We used to treat the jug-type bottles like they were grenades. Once you popped the top, you only had 5 seconds to finish it.

We were drinking them around 8:30AM the day of my wedding. Good times.

Speaking of malt liquor, back in my college days, we used to drink Old Mil as our staple beer in kegs at our fraternity. Frequently, a brother would upgrade or pay the difference between a keg of Old Mil and some better beer. At least a few times a year, someone would upgrade to Schlitz Malt Liquor Bull.

Those days, or nights, things would always get broken in the house (windows, doors, furniture, bones, etc.). The next mornings were not pretty. Good times.
Posted By: bobad Re: The Six Beers of Christmas - 12/05/08 02:55 PM
 Originally Posted By: Dwight
bobad, Those all look very interesting. Tell us about Abita Beer. That Raspberry Wheat beer sounds kinda scary.

Dwight,

Brewed with water from the same aquifer as Kentwood Spring Water. I like Amber, Wheat, and especially Turbo Dog. Turbo Dog is dark and robust. Not as chewy or nearly as bitter as Guiness. Abita is not cheap, but not expensive either. I'm a traditionalist, so I haven't tried Abita's flavored beers. A friend keeps telling me how good Purple Haze is, but his taste and indeed his character are questionable. Beer's off the menu right now, so I'm lusting for a Turbo Dog.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: The Six Beers of Christmas - 12/05/08 03:05 PM
 Originally Posted By: george1
I am offended that not ONE mention of Shiner Bock, the “Best Little Brewery in Texas”.

I had my very first Shiner Bock when I was in Texas (thanks to Heybud) and drank that as my beer of choice the entire time I was down there (also thanks to TomG that supplied me with several). When I was seriously ready to adjust my attitude however it was of course Captain & Coke.

Originally Posted By: george1
I’ll refrain from mentioning that my second and third choices are Negra Modelo and Corona, brewed by the Modelo Brewery of Mexico

Dang that brings back memories. In my younger days my buddies and I would go on surf safaries into Mexico (think remote beaches, no crowds, camping and some great surf). We'd stop usually in Ensenada and fill the van's full of Negra Modelo. Back in those days the beer was dirt cheap. We'd trade stuff or buy outright lobsters from the local fishermen. A bunch of drunken waterdogs surfing all day, eating lobster and drinking all night. Good times.
Posted By: Brett295 Re: The Six Beers of Christmas - 12/05/08 03:08 PM
 Originally Posted By: bobad
 Originally Posted By: Dwight

Dwight,

Brewed with water from the same aquifer as Kentwood Spring Water. I like Amber, Wheat, and especially Turbo Dog. Turbo Dog is dark and robust. Not as chewy or nearly as bitter as Guiness. Abita is not cheap, but not expensive either. I'm a traditionalist, so I haven't tried Abita's flavored beers. A friend keeps telling me how good Purple Haze is, but his taste and indeed his character are questionable. Beer's off the menu right now, so I'm lusting for a Turbo Dog.

I never could acquire a tast for the wheat beers. Especially the wheat beers with fruit in them. For the most part I like to stick with good ol barley and hopps.
Posted By: bbjr Re: The Six Beers of Christmas - 12/05/08 09:44 PM
The staples of my diet are Guinness, Newcastle, Beck's, Pacifico, Negra Modelo, and Woodchuck Cider Ale (during the winter season).
Posted By: Sunil Re: The Six Beers of Christmas - 12/06/08 03:22 AM
Speaking of Newcastle Brown, does anyone think that Newcastle Brown is mentioned in the Humble Pie song, '30 Days in the Hole?'
Posted By: TOM G Re: The Six Beers of Christmas - 12/06/08 04:32 PM
Im thinking the 6 beers of Christmas is missing a didget ;\)
Posted By: Dwight Re: The Six Beers of Christmas - 12/06/08 05:13 PM
Sunil,
 Quote:
Newcastle Brown can sure smack you down

Posted By: Sunil Re: The Six Beers of Christmas - 12/06/08 07:01 PM
That's what I thought they said, but then again, many folks thought that The Who's 'Eminence Front' was "M&M Funk."
Posted By: Dwight Re: The Six Beers of Christmas - 12/06/08 07:56 PM
Mind state influences could yield an alternate outcome.
Posted By: Sunil Re: The Six Beers of Christmas - 12/06/08 09:54 PM
I always knew it was 'Eminence Front.'
Posted By: RobA Re: The Six Beers of Christmas - 12/06/08 10:38 PM
Wow, "Eminence Front" and "30 Days in the Hole". Haven't heard those songs mentioned in a looong time. I love both of those songs. Humble Pie's Smokin' album is great. Can you believe that album was from 1972!
Posted By: RobA Re: The Six Beers of Christmas - 12/06/08 10:41 PM
Speaking of Newcastle Brown, does anyone think that Newcastle Brown is mentioned in the Humble Pie song, '30 Days in the Hole?'

I don't think they were talking about the beer.......
Posted By: Sunil Re: The Six Beers of Christmas - 12/06/08 11:03 PM
Is it another name for the bad, bad H. word?
Posted By: RobA Re: The Six Beers of Christmas - 12/07/08 01:10 AM
Is it another name for the bad, bad H. word?

That's what the internet says so it must be true.
Posted By: RobA Re: The Six Beers of Christmas - 12/09/08 12:20 AM

I can't believe it, tonight's episode of Jeopardy had that song in it's 'answer'. Wife was a bit surprised when I blurted out "Humble Pie".
Posted By: burgermeister Re: The Six Beers of Christmas - 12/09/08 02:49 AM
quote Sunil..."Speaking of malt liquor, back in my college days, we used to drink Old Mil as our staple beer in kegs at our fraternity. Frequently, a brother would upgrade or pay the difference between a keg of Old Mil and some better beer. At least a few times a year, someone would upgrade to Schlitz Malt Liquor Bull."

Sunil, I just knew you hadda be a frat rat. \:D
Posted By: Sunil Re: The Six Beers of Christmas - 12/09/08 03:13 AM
I'll just go ahead and take that as a compliment my friend!
Posted By: burgermeister Re: The Six Beers of Christmas - 12/09/08 04:26 AM
I'll just go ahead and take that as a compliment my friend!

absolutely! It's just the aura.
© Pond Boss Forum