Pond Boss
Posted By: george1 Deer Camp - 10/18/08 03:27 PM
Just spoke with son Jeff on cell phone at deer camp and he and nephew Frank are finishing working on deer stands and blinds, cutting firewood, and general maintenace on old camphouse that my sons and I built in 1975.

About this time two weeks from this morning deer season will open, and my hunters will be strangling into camp with all sorts of stories and excuses.
Sons, grandsons, nephews, grand nephews, and maybe a couple of good friends.

They have even built a box blind for me this year - I won't shoot anything except maybe a feral hog that might wander by.
They are taking over the country.

I'm going for the fellowship, food, and stories around the campfire.

Life is good....!
Posted By: heybud Re: Deer Camp - 10/18/08 04:12 PM
Sounds like a great time George with some good folks. Wish I was there to dutch oven cook for you guys, but have a group of my own that is hungry. Have a great time and take out one of those big feral hogs.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Deer Camp - 10/19/08 01:03 PM
Life is good George. Sounds like you are going to have a great time. Take some photos. I like to see pictures of your "old camphouse."

So you are entertaining also Heybud?

Ricki and I are leaving for Las Vegas in about 3 hours. I'll be gone until Friday. Then we're back here until the following Thursday, then we go up north to our ranch for 19 days! Then we're back here for about a week, then we spend 10 days in Pennsylvania with her folks. It's gonna be a busy month.

TAX SEASON'S OVER BAYBEEEE, JHAP IS ON THE LOOSE!
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Deer Camp - 10/19/08 02:44 PM
JHAP & JWHAP, sounds like a fun-filled next few weeks.
Hope y'all have a great time.
Will you be able to check in with us - at least from PA?
Posted By: Sunil Re: Deer Camp - 10/19/08 06:57 PM
JHAPpy, don't forget...my pond is an hour from where your Bride's folks live.

No, that's not a threat.

See you soon!

I'll PM you my cell #
Posted By: n8ly Re: Deer Camp - 10/20/08 02:38 AM
I would rather eat the pig meat than the deer meat anyhow George.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Deer Camp - 10/20/08 11:46 AM
Deer season starts next Saturday afternoon for me. Texas reserves the weekend prior to opening weekend for childrens hunting. It will be my Grandsons 10th birthday and his Mom has a party scheduled for 11:00. DAMN!!!!!! So, he and I get to leave after the party and hunt that afternoon and the next day.

I really no longer get that heated up about shooting a deer but do enjoy taking him.
Posted By: GaryTexas Re: Deer Camp - 10/22/08 01:03 AM
I'm now ready for deer season.... all the wheat has been planted, and is looking good with some of the recent rains I've had. The feeders are feeding, but the deer and pigs are on the acorns right now. The oaks are really dropping them right now, so activity at the feeders has been light. I did get a few good pics of some decent bucks....

Good hunting and fishing to all!!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Deer Camp - 10/22/08 02:48 AM
Those suckers look healthy.

I got my wheat planted and some feeders going. We got 2 different rains that totaled 6 inches. It came slow enough to help the land but I got absolutely no run off.
Posted By: davatsa Re: Deer Camp - 10/22/08 04:03 AM
Gary,

That last deer (pics 2 and 3) looks mature. Neck blends into shoulders like it's one big muscle, his back is starting to sway, and, well...let's just say his belly resembles DD1's belly. Definitely mature. \:\)

(Not to worry, Dave, I'm well on my way to the same look).
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Deer Camp - 10/22/08 10:08 AM
Yeah, I know that you are a competent judge.
I just put out a camera a couple of weeks ago. Nothing large came around as of last Sunday. And, they were 90% nocturnal.

Interesting thing. Wife and I went up last Sunday after the Cowboys had humiliated themselves. About 6:00 I went to replace the camera. There was a doe and yearling in the area. Ok, so we left. In the 3 or 4 miles before getting to the highway, we counted 14 deer. That's an unusually large amount but we enjoyed it. I told a guy about it the next day and he looked up the solunar tables for the area. He said that was a major feeding time. I've never paid a lot of attention to those tables.
Posted By: Habitatpro Re: Deer Camp - 10/22/08 11:50 AM
I saw a real corker yesterday and the bucks are making rubs and tons of scrapes...2 cameras up and a third will be soon but insultion in cabin project is kickin my old butt! I need a powered ladder and two extra arms.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Deer Camp - 10/22/08 12:36 PM
 Originally Posted By: davatsa
Gary,

That last deer (pics 2 and 3) looks mature. Neck blends into shoulders like it's one big muscle, his back is starting to sway, and, well...let's just say his belly resembles DD1's belly. Definitely mature. \:\)

I was going to say those would be nice looking yearlings in Ohio. ;\)
Posted By: david u Re: Deer Camp - 10/22/08 12:43 PM
Gary, It doesn't look like you have the legs on your feeder t-posted down. How do you keep the hogs from knocking over your feeder?
Posted By: GaryTexas Re: Deer Camp - 10/22/08 01:14 PM
David U,

The 8 pointer is definitely mature... depending on your definition. This is the third season I have been getting pictures of him, so I'm guessing 3.5 years old. He's got a good chance of getting bigger and older... he's smart, and stays nocturnal. I've never seen him, but he is a resident deer.

In my area of north Texas, this is a good deer. Too many small tracts and indescriminate trigger pullers, so the bucks have a tough time growing 3.5 years old. That may change next year...TPWD is talking about putting in a 13" spread minimum for most north Texas counties in the 2009 hunting season. That will let the younger bucks have a chance, for sure.

The hogs knocked down 3 out of 4 feeders in one week before I learned to bury the legs in the ground. I bury them about 12 inches deep... no problems in the last two years.
Posted By: TOM G Re: Deer Camp - 10/22/08 06:00 PM
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
 Originally Posted By: davatsa
Gary,

I was going to say those would be nice looking yearlings in Ohio. ;\)

OK,maybe everything isnt bigger in Texas after all \:\( ;\)
Posted By: george1 Re: Deer Camp - 10/30/08 12:54 PM
Razorbacks ...
Why nowadays are they “Feral Hogs”?
I like “Razorback” terminology best .. .

Anyway they are over running the country and thwart all attempts to control ….. dogs - traps – guns…

My sons know I wouldn’t shoot a deer if it walked in front of me and have set up a pop-up blind in a baited area for me to shoot a hog.
I’m so shaky that I doubt I could hit the side of a barn door but I’ll give it a try.

Posted By: JoeG Re: Deer Camp - 10/30/08 02:00 PM
I have always wanted to shoot a hog with my bow, hope things work out for you George, the camp time is always worth the trip. I'm still looking for a buck but I have taken one doe with the bow already this year.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Deer Camp - 10/31/08 01:39 AM
Last weekend was Childrens hunting weekend in Texas. My Grandson/Pardner/Trevor turned 10 on Saturday and had a party. I wasn't there. I was too busy checking on everything to make sure hunting went well. After the party, Charlene brought him to the land. I had seen 21 deer that morning and early afternoon. He got there and about 4:30 we went out to the new stand that I had built. THE HILTON! We saw nothing that evening. Next morn, before dawn, we went over to a 9 acre wheat patch and hunkered down. After about 1.5 hours of nothing, I saw a really nice buck walking along the dam about 200 yds away. No shot presented itself so we bailed out and went after it. Trevor got his gun up once but couldn't really get a good shot. The buck went over the dam and he went after it. I followed along behind. Twice he froze and I knew he saw the deer. Then he knelt down and raised his 222. After a minute, he stood up and came back to me. He had been (in his words) eyeball to eyeball with the buck twice but it had been looking at him and he froze, When he knelt, it had gone back in the brush and didn't return. He told me that we might as well go to the house and see if Grandma was up and was ready for Breakfast. Then he said that since I hadn't come to his party that I owed him a present and WalMart wasn't too far out of the way on heading to the house. Ok, we went and I got soaked for $62.20 for some kind of game stuff. Does Bokagon sound about right? Anyway, it's the newest thing. We went hunting again that afternoon but didn't see anything. That is one more successful hunt in our rear view mirror. He fell asleep on the way back to the metromess.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Deer Camp - 10/31/08 01:44 AM
A good story from the Texas Hunting Forum. A guy there took his Grandson on a Childrens Weekend hunting trip. I think the boy was about 6. Sitting around the campfire at night with other men some stories got started. He looked at his Grandson and told him "What happens and is said at the deer lease stays at the deer lease.". A day after they got home the guys Daughter called and was laughing. She said she had asked her son about his first hunting trip. He told her "Mom, what happens at the deer lease stays at the deer lease.".
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Deer Camp - 10/31/08 01:50 AM
No hogs here, but I was just checking out our local deer regulations.

Tomorrow (Friday) and the next day is antlerless season in our county. I figure I'll try to take one in the morning. It seems like there are always several voyeur deer outside the bathroom window when I come out of the shower. I guess I'll put my rifle just below my towel tonight.

As I looked at the regulations, if we just use rifles, my wife and I can take a total of ten deer off our property in the next eight weeks. As state residents, my son and daughter-in-law can also legally take 10 deer off our farm during this time. If we were to use archery and black powder, the number goes way up.

Geeze, maybe I could get something out of my garden, and a little fruit off my fruit trees and berry bushes next year -- if the family were to help out our friends at Hunters for the Hungry.

Good huntn'
Ken
Posted By: Chris Steelman Re: Deer Camp - 10/31/08 01:53 AM
Good luck everybody.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb9yhhflmvY
Posted By: davatsa Re: Deer Camp - 10/31/08 02:43 AM
Good luck...I expect to see some good pics in the next few months!
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Deer Camp - 10/31/08 02:51 AM
 Originally Posted By: Chris Steelman

Oh Chris,

How can you do dat? Dose are my cusins and frends!

I really wish that my Yooper relatives and friends would tone it down, but dey won't.

Dats juss plain embarreson!

Suomi Poika
(Knute/Ken/Catmandoo)

P.S. If you told them about the Second Week of Deer Camp, why didn't you tell dem the story about my "Turdy Point Buck!!!!?" Turdy Point Buck

P.S. Next -- I bet you guys tink we have akcents. We don't! You guys do!

Quote:
Second Week Of Deer Camp
Da Yoopers

ITS THE SECOND WEEK OF DEER CAMP
I GOT A SWOLLEN HEAD
I'M LYING WITH THE DUST BALLS
UNDERNEATH MY BED

AN ICY BREEZE IS BLOWING IN
THROUGH THE TONGUE AND GROOVE
MY PANTS ARE FROZEN TO THE FLOOR
AND I'M TOO SICK TO MOVE

I DIDN'T DRINK TOO MANY
ONLY THIRTY CANS OF BEER
IT MUST HAVE BEEN THAT LAST SHOT
THAT PUT ME UNDER HERE

CHORUS:
IT'S THE SECOND WEEK OF DEER CAMP
AND ALL THE GUYS ARE HERE
WE DRINK PLAY CARDS AND SHOOT THE BULL
BUT NEVER SHOOT NO DEER
THE ONLY TIME WE LEAVE THE CAMP
IS WHEN WE GO FOR BEER
THE SECOND WEEK OF DEER CAMP
IS THE GREATEST TIME OF YEAR

I REMEMBER PLAYING POKER
THAT WEASEL MUSTA WON
HE'S WEARING MY NEW SWAMPERS
AND SLEEPING WITH MY GUN

HE'S SNORING LIKE A CHAIN SAW
THE CAMP SMELLS LIKE A DUMP
SOMEONE'S DIRTY UNDERWEAR
IS HANGING ON THE PUMP

MUKKUS IN THE WOOD BOX
EENERS PASSED OUT ON THE STOVE
HIS FLANNEL SHIRT IS SMOKING
I WONDER IF HE KNOWS

CHORUS

VITOS CRAWLING THROUGH THE DOOR
I THINK HE GOT FROSTBITE
HE PASSED OUT IN THE OUTHOUSE
AND HE'S BEEN THERE SINCE LAST NIGHT

THEN GOOFUS STUMBLES THROUGH THE DOOR
HE SAYS HE GOT A BUCK
HE WAS COMING FROM THE WAYSIDE
AND HE KILLED IT WITH HIS TRUCK

THEN MUUSTI CRACKS A BEER AND SAYS
ITS TIME TO CELEBRATE
GOOFUS GOT THE FIRST BUCK
SINCE 1968

Quote:
Da Yoopers - Da Turdy Point Buck

Let me tell you that
you no, it's not so much the heat,
as it is the gosh darn humidity.
You no when u sit there in the bed,
and your just sweaty you no?
And you just,
you go to reach for the water on the nightstand,
and you slide right out of bed
and the wife says,
"Stop making so much noise! Your waking me up, go to sleep!"
Well let me tell you,
(yeah?)
times like that,
make me think bout movin up north,
you no?
(good idea)
Ya I'd do it to.
Course then I couldn't watch the Packers.
You no the Packers are...
Cause I like the Packers.
I'd do nething for the Packers.
Who can forget Vince Lombardi, you no?
Back in the glory years?
Not me, boy.
Yeah nehow.
Gettin to be that time of year,
eh?(yeah, oh yeah)

Ya, I'm a deer hunter.
How do you do?
I got the deer huntin rep n tale for you.
I'm so excited, it's my favorite time of year.
I love to freeze my buns,
chasin trophy deer.
But don't clap your hands,
to the stompin of the feet,
because Yahey's like me,
he can't keep a steady beat.
no, m mm,

I got the great big knife,
cause the hunting is my life.
It's my chance to drink beer and get away from the wife.
It's the boys night out,
acting stupidly,
say now, "baby, baby, don't you think maybe, how 'bout u n me, ya?
haha (get away!)(ow ow ow!)

Well we partied all night,
never made it to our bunks.
And I was sittin in the tree stand,
on the tree day, drunk.
Wind was blowin 45,
temp 30 below.
I was freezin to death,
then it started to snow.
So I got out from the tree stand,
start headin for the truck,
and thats when I seen it there,
the turdy point buck.

TURDY POINT BUCK?!
turdy point buck.
turdy point buck.
(turdy point buck)

Well, he was 8 foot tall,
weighed 12,000 pounds,
with every step there was a shake,
sh-shakin of the ground.
He was ruthaful, so beautiful.
Strutted right out of my dreams,
he was created by God,
just for outdoor magazines.

Now, I'm not much for thinkin,
no, I dont do it often,
but I had an idea.
(yeah, what was that?)
To put that turdy pointer,
right in his coffin, ya.
(turdy piont buck)

Couldn't get to my gernades,
(yeah rite)
the was in the shop,
my stomach was tied into a monkey knot.
Ya, my only hope was Betty Lou,
she was the one,
a combination AK 57 oozie radar laser triple-barrel double-scoped hit-seekin shotgun.
(turdy point buck)

Ya, the women clappin in the back there, I gotta make that.
Well he was comin toward me,
gettin bigger n bigger,
but my fingers were so frozen,
I couldn't pull the trigger.
I kicked off my boots,
fired with my big toe,
I was Dirty Harry, John Wayne, n G.I. Joe.

Ya, that turdy point buck,
was only 10 feet away, ya,
still I coudln't seem to hit him,
and he wouldnt run away.
And after 20 minutes,
when the smoke cleared,
there were hunters on the ground,
and the worlds biggest dear.
There, standin tall n proud,
he looked at me and yawned,
and then a flash of white,
n there he was...gone.
(oh its alrite clyde, dont worry about it)

Then 7 men got up,
n the one fell down.
A big lump of blaze orange,
shakin on the ground.
At first I thought he was one of the boys,
but it was that no brother good in law of mine,
from Illinois.
(only cheeseheads, send him back on the next plane)

Did ya see the turdy pointer?
Did ya see the turdy pionter?

As we jumped into the truck,
and I'm gonna get that
turdy point buck.
Ya, I'm gonna get that turdy point buck.
I'm gonna get that turdy point buck.
(turdy point buck)
(Hey, there he goes! There he goes!)
I'm gonna get that turdy point buck.
(Come on guys! Lets go get him!)
Ya, I'm gonna get that turdy piont buck.
(Hey grab your gun man! I got my beer, and I got that hit-seeker)
If it's the last thing I do,
I'm gonna get that turdy point, turdy point buck.
Haha
(tury point buck)

Posted By: george1 Re: Deer Camp - 11/03/08 04:26 PM
This is what it's all about ....

Friday night sat in a pop-up blind at feeder hoping for a hog.
Nice buck walked within 25 ft of me and ambled to feeder and circled feeder couple of times eating, and spotted me in the blind. We had a staring contest and deer finally ambled into the brush.
Must have known deer season not to start until next morning.

Next morning same thing but a yearling buck - he knew he was safe with me. Enjoyed watching the sun come up and the woods come alive.
Still no hogs - they were all down in the bottom rooting up the pasture.

Great weekend - no deer taken - sons all experienced hunters and they have a "ten point" rule - lots of deer seen.
"Thirteen Inch" rule aplies to grandsons and grand nephews when it's their week to hunt.

Lots of food and fellowships and one on one time with my sons.

Here's a photo of "pre-installed" retro-fitted Out House - talk about upscale ...

Posted By: GaryTexas Re: Deer Camp - 11/11/08 01:47 AM
Well, we've had two good weekends of hunting here in North Texas. I've seen alot of does, and passed on several small bucks. The big guys aren't moving yet... maybe next weekend!

I did drop a 100 pound sow... Our area is getting overrun with pigs, so I shoot every one I see.

Safe hunting to everyone.

GaryTexas
Posted By: davatsa Re: Deer Camp - 11/11/08 04:04 AM
We're getting overrun with pigs too, Gary. Nice lookin' corn guzzler you got there!

My dad counted 62 pigs during one evening at his place...time for some of them to take a dirt nap.

My BIL took this buck opening morning at our deer camp (not where the ponds are) northwest of San Antonio. Not very wide, but nice tine length with LOTS of points. This deer had trash EVERYWHERE!

Posted By: GaryTexas Re: Deer Camp - 11/11/08 11:45 PM
Davatsa,

That looks like a nice buck... do you think your county will fall under the minimum spread regulations that TPWD has instituted? My ranch will most likely be under the 13" inside spread rule for the 2009 season.

While I like the rule for the most part, it means nice bucks like the one in your picture would not be legal. In fact, that buck might never be legal, as he is obviously mature, but genetically not capable of a wide spread.

Anyway... nice buck!
Posted By: davatsa Re: Deer Camp - 11/12/08 12:21 AM
Good point, Gary. The buck pictured was actually 14" wide inside, so he would technically be legal. BUT, I see your point, and therein lies the problem with antler restrictions.

Without getting into too much of a debate, I generally agree with the restrictions. As I understand it, the majority of the counties with antler restrictions are in East Texas. The average tract of land is generally smaller here than in other areas of the state. In West Texas, for example, ranchers don't even talk about acres...it's how many "sections" you own. To a lesser degree, the same can be said for South Texas. Small tracts of land, plus a lot of hunters, equals not as many deer that can live to maturity.

The purpose of the restrictions is to see more bucks become mature in these areas (and, of course, have more years to breed and thus boost the population). The 13" rule is not fail proof, but limiting harvests to bucks 13" wide or more is a decent rule of thumb when you want more mature bucks. As you indicated, a problem arises when a deer is clearly mature, and may even be labeled a "trophy" by some if it has lots of points, good mass, etc.--but is still not very wide.

To answer your first question:
No, I do not think the county we hunt will fall under the minimum spread regulations. Deer camp (not where the ponds are) is in Sutton County, which is northwest of San Antonio. The deer are not as large as in South Texas, but they are plentiful. If anything, MORE deer could be harvested in that county. Thus, I doubt harvesting will be restricted by antler regulations. The buck pictured is above-average for that area, although we do get some show-stoppers occassionally.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Deer Camp - 11/12/08 07:02 AM
Sounds like Texas wants to stop any buck from being taken. I bet the number one question there is, How do I measure before shooting?

In Missouri, some nrthern counties have a POINT resrtiction Bucks must have at least 7 points). At least you can count points easier than guess at a foot spread. I bet Texas has the same REAL goal as Missouri's restriction---to kill many more does to REDUCE the population and thereby reduce car crashes with a minimal improvement in quality bucks being acheived as a side benefit.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Deer Camp - 11/12/08 07:05 AM
Sounds like Texas wants to stop any buck from being taken. I bet the number one question there is, How do I measure before shooting?

In Missouri, some nrthern counties have a POINT resrtiction Bucks must have at least 7 points). At least you can count points easier than guess at a foot spread. I bet Texas has the same REAL goal as Missouri's restriction---to kill many more does to REDUCE the population and thereby reduce car crashes with a minimal improvement in quality bucks being acheived as a side benefit.

FWIW, I prefer the doe meat---those antlers are REAL tough to chew!
Posted By: JoeG Re: Deer Camp - 11/12/08 12:11 PM
I would have guessed that buck to have a 16 inch spread, but tough to tell from a profile. Our bucks here in Pa generally have that at 2 1/2 years of age. We have a point requirement of 4 point to one antler in my county, hunters are always complaining about it, I would rather have this than to have a minimum spread rule, but generally speaking the width of an adult bucks ears here are around 16 inches, so if he stares at you you can judge that pretty quickly and acurately enough to pass a 13 inch rule. I think our deer have larger bodies though so ear spread may be larger too.

I haven't put the tape to him yet but I shot a 9 point last night that I know is nearly 16 inches wide. Even though I base my trophy tastes on more than spread, that buck pictured is still a dandy.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Deer Camp - 11/13/08 11:42 AM
We aren't under the 13 inch rule yet. I discussed it with our Biologist and agree that it will allow a lot more bucks to grow to maturity. However, it will permanently protect some inferior bucks that need to be taken out.

As most people know, I will probably manage my way.

My Grandson and I will be hunting Sunday and Monday. So far, we have seen very little.
Posted By: JoeG Re: Deer Camp - 11/13/08 12:25 PM
Hope things pick up for you and your hunters Dave, our rut is heating up daily and the buck are on the move. I had seen 5 buck in the day prior to shooting mine, one was even larger but didn't respond to calling at all. Our archery season ends Saturday and I am off to NY to hunt their slug opener on Saturday.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Deer Camp - 11/26/08 08:28 AM
Just put the finishing touches on 130 pounds of vinison ground into summer and breakfast sausages, snack sticks, and ground meat. Smoked, portioned, sealed, and froze it tonight. YUM!!

Wonder what we will be eating NEXT week! I love processing our own deer.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Deer Camp - 11/26/08 01:45 PM
Getting ready for Ohio Gun Season to start Monday has reminded me I love hunting as much as ever, even if not quite as often as I used to.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Deer Camp - 12/03/08 07:35 PM
Got a nice doe this morning.
I debated posting this in the "Furry Thanksgiving" thread - 2 out of 3 thankful ain't bad.

Posted By: davatsa Re: Deer Camp - 12/03/08 10:06 PM
Congrats! Nice looking doe. The dogs look happy as well...lots of scraps, I'm sure.

And after you finish those scraps, maybe they'll let you have some of the good stuff.
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: Deer Camp - 12/03/08 11:42 PM
Here's the first buck I've taken in 20 yrs.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Deer Camp - 12/04/08 12:23 AM
Very nice Ric!

Did you take him, or just finish the job, with the pistol?
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: Deer Camp - 12/04/08 01:21 AM
I don't hunt with long guns anymore so yes I took him with my 45 Win. mag Grizzly pistol. I either hunt with that (my favorite) or a 50 AE Desert Eagle. Just needed to add a little more challenge to my hunting.
I usually just hunt does.
He weighed 243# on the hoof.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Deer Camp - 12/04/08 01:48 AM
Ric, that is a whopper. I just keep looking and looking and.....
Posted By: ewest Re: Deer Camp - 12/04/08 03:12 AM
Dave envy will not help you stop looking. Nice deer Ric!
Posted By: Chris Steelman Re: Deer Camp - 12/04/08 03:28 AM
Where I hunt a legal buck has to have an inside spread that is 13" or bigger. I saw one Saturday morning that was probably legal. He was young though so I let him go. He came out of the clearcut about 15 yards from my stand chasing a doe. The doe stayed within 50 yards of my stand for about an hour and a half. She would eat for awhile then went and bedded down out in front of me. The buck stood about 15 yards back in the woods and followed here back and forth the entire time she was feeding.

That was pretty cool to see.
Posted By: bbjr Re: Deer Camp - 12/04/08 04:03 AM
I am a bit confused on how the spread rule is/can be enforced. What would happen to someone who shot a buck with only a 12.5" spread, for instance? I mean, we all know how accurate we are when mentioning the length of a fish that got away, I couldn't imagine being accurate from 20 yards or more.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Deer Camp - 12/04/08 04:07 AM
Does Texas require deer to be physically checked at a station? Missouri has a "7-point" requirement in part of the state but did away with "check stations and now uses a "Tele-Check" system. Half the deer you see people hauling now have the heads cut off so no one can say how many points there were.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Deer Camp - 12/04/08 04:13 AM
 Originally Posted By: Ric Swaim
I don't hunt with long guns anymore so yes I took him with my 45 Win. mag Grizzly pistol. I either hunt with that (my favorite) or a 50 AE Desert Eagle. Just needed to add a little more challenge to my hunting.
I usually just hunt does.
He weighed 243# on the hoof.

I would love to use a pistol, but on my property, the average shot is 250+ yards. I can hit an armadillo at 50 yards, but 250+ is not gonna have much punch left!
Posted By: Chris Steelman Re: Deer Camp - 12/04/08 04:35 AM
bbjr,

The guidebook says that when the deer's ears are at attention, meaning he is looking at you, the tips of his ears are 13" apart. The first year that the rule was in place the game wardens were giving people a one inch grace period. Now it is a $1000 fine. Last year I saw a Buck that there is no doubt I would have shot if the restrictions were not in place. He never looked at me so I wasn't going to risk it.

Rainman,

Texas doesn't require deer to be checked.
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: Deer Camp - 12/04/08 10:03 AM
Dave,
I've been suggesting @ our public hearings for years that they close "buck season" for 3 yrs. In that short time the woods would be full of nice bucks with several true trophies to boot. Young bucks would be safe to grow up because no one would waste a tag on a young buck with so many mature bucks walking around.
 Quote:
I would love to use a pistol, but on my property, the average shot is 250+ yards. I can hit an armadillo at 50 yards, but 250+ is not gonna have much punch left!
Rainman, I understand. I had to restrain myself 2 yrs ago when a buck quite a bit larger than this one came by @ around 100 yds. I can take that shot with a rest but was caught between trees & just had to crouch down & watch.
As I said I hunt does. I let several 8 pt & smaller bucks walk every year.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Deer Camp - 12/04/08 12:56 PM
Check out the picture of this buck that my friend Blake shot last saturday with a Bow and Arrow! Biggest I have ever seen dead.
Blakes Monster Deer
Posted By: 14737 Re: Deer Camp - 12/05/08 02:35 AM
here is a great 8 from new york's western southerntier. I shot it opening afternoon 256# on the hoof.

Posted By: n8ly Re: Deer Camp - 12/05/08 03:33 AM
I am leaving friday morning for Deer Camp in Iowa! My 2 brothers, my father in law, my parents, my uncle and his son all will be hunting the family property on Sat and Sunday in Davis County about 15 miles from where the world record was shot a few years back.

Justin and I will be staying to hunt mon, tues, and wednesday as well. This will most likely be our last year hunting that farm, because there are 4 different guys plus the realtor interested in purchasing it. (the realtor keeps checking the trail cams and gets pretty excited!!!)
Posted By: blair5002 Re: Deer Camp - 12/07/08 06:39 AM
Here is the buck I shot Nov 23/08 1 mile from my house.(Saskatchewan) 171 1/8 gross.

Posted By: Rainman Re: Deer Camp - 12/07/08 08:04 AM
14737, Blair, you guys are CRUEL.... YOU TOO NATE!!!!

I've never even SEEN abuck that big when hunting, let alone shoot it! My wife hates me hunting "Bambi" but I think even SHE would let me mount any of your beauties!!!!!
Posted By: JoeG Re: Deer Camp - 12/07/08 02:05 PM
14737 you may have shot it opening day, but you didn't take the picture until Sunday with the snow in Franklinville, heh heh. I hunted that rainy crappy weather all day the first day and thru the snow and slop the second day over near Clymer. I shot a small buck the second day at noon, nothing like that one. That's a nice NY 8 point, the one pictured below is my nicest NY buck, I dunno what he weighed but he was a nice deer for where we hunted at the time.

http://www.geocities.com/jcgiii/nybuckjoe.jpg

This is one of my nicest PA buck that I am proud of, he was 7 points but over 20 inch spread inside the antlers. Tip to tip was 17 1/2 inches. One nice deer anywhere.

http://www.geocities.com/jcgiii/buck1.jpg

Rainman just get in the woods buddy, these deer didn't die from the keyboard. You have to be in the woods to hunt them.

Blair, when should I come up???????
Posted By: davatsa Re: Deer Camp - 12/07/08 02:22 PM
Joe beat me to it...I was gonna ask Blair when I can book my flight to Saskatchewan. That's a beautiful buck!

14737, I've always wanted to take a big-bodied northern deer like that. Down here, we have some nice bucks that score well, but nothing that big-bodied.

Let us know how the trip to deer camp ends up, Nate!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Deer Camp - 12/07/08 02:36 PM
Great news everybody....I am sponsoring a "Best Deer Stick" competition!

Of course, I will be the only judge. Here's how it works.

To enter the contest, you send me a PM to which I reply with my mailing address.

Then you simply send me at least 1/2 pound of your best seasoned deer stick.

I eat all of it and then decide who has the best deer stick. Once I've decided the top three contestants, I send each of the three a PM requesting 1 pound more, you know, sort of like the semi-finals. I eat all of that and then declare one of you the winner.

The winner receives an honorable mention on this thread, and a six-pack of Milwaukee's Best Light.

Let the competition begin!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Deer Camp - 12/07/08 05:17 PM
Sunil, the Internet's most selfless individual, strikes again.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Deer Camp - 12/07/08 06:20 PM
It's for the kids, Theo, the kids.
Posted By: blair5002 Re: Deer Camp - 12/08/08 03:57 AM
Everybody thinks that Saskatchewan is dump to live in but you could not pay me to leave. Top of the line hunting and can't complain about the fishing. Good idea Sunil on the beer sticks, not on what kind of numbers you will get though.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Deer Camp - 12/08/08 04:14 AM
"Beer sticks" huh? Sounds good also.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Deer Camp - 12/08/08 04:55 AM
Sunil, I have 30 lbs of home-made summer sausage I found in my smoker (after 2 weeks). I washed off the mold on the casings and tried some. It's been 2 days since I ate it and I'm still alive to post so I guess the cure was adequate. Want some? ALL?

Seriously, I made and smoked a lot this year and if you want some snack sticks and a chunk of summer sausage, send me your addy. It's not my best work, but thankfully it's not my worst either. If it stays below freezing, I'll throw in some spicy jalepeno, maple and sage breakfast sausage links---my 3 favorite flavors combined!

Oh and don't worry, I wouldn't send you the penecillan batch!

maybe
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Deer Camp - 12/08/08 11:51 AM
I got a pretty good buck Sunday morning. 160 pound 9 point. For my area, that is a heavy deer. The guy at the processing plant said it is the biggest he has seen this year.

He and a runt buck were chasing a doe. He should have kept chasing and not stopped when I snorted.
Posted By: ahvatsa Re: Deer Camp - 12/08/08 12:39 PM
Congrads Dave. Have hunted Tx. all my life and never harvested a 160# deer!
Posted By: george1 Re: Deer Camp - 12/08/08 12:44 PM
CONGRATULATIONS Dave - all thr work building that fancy blind paid off...!
Now don't give us a lame excuse of no photos ...
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Deer Camp - 12/08/08 02:01 PM
 Originally Posted By: blair5002
Everybody thinks that Saskatchewan is dump to live in ...

Not me, Sir. The prairie provinces rule!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Deer Camp - 12/08/08 02:39 PM
George, I wasn't blind hunting. I had tried that the day before. This time, I went prowling and wound up sitting on a rusted out bucket next to a wheat patch. Charlene took some pics but for some reason, the card reader on my PC isn't recognizing the CF card. It did yesterday and I don't know why it isn't today. Besides, after seeing Ric's deer, I'm ashamed to post mine.

Al, that is easily the biggest Tx deer I have ever taken. It was 5.5 years old. I knew it was pretty heavy but it seemed to get a lot heavier when I started dragging it up the side of the pond. I went and got the tractor with the loader. I'm getting way too old to do things the hard way.
Posted By: JoeG Re: Deer Camp - 12/08/08 04:30 PM
Davasta so we should plan to meet up at Blairs then?? Works for me. I would never call anyplace outside of an urban area in Canada or any other country for that matter, a dump, I love the wilderness and all the rural areas I have ever been to up North, heard a lot about the bucks up there too, I just wonder if you have any good archery hunting up there, heh heh.

Davidson don't be ashamed of any buck you ever shot, just know that they are like fish, theres always a bigger one out there, always.

Just a hint to any jerky making fanatics out there, I am eating a fresh batch of stuff I created, I used a 1/4 cup vinegar, 1/4 cup franks red hot, and a quarter cup of brown sugar for a pound of venison cut in strips, marinated for 12 hours, dehydrated for just under 4 hours at 155F and I gotta tell you, this is a pretty tasty batch, I think I am gonna make a big batch to smoke and see how it turns out. It has a hot sweet flavor like good chicken wings do, tasty indeed.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Deer Camp - 12/08/08 07:08 PM
Thanks Joe, but several times a day I just gotta look at Ric's buck. He deserves a good buck if it took 20 years to get one. He probably had hair when he started trying. Probably a lot better looking too.

Knowing Ric, he might have been using a stick and a string for the first 19 years.

Anyway, that whopper has impressed me more than any deer that I've ever seen. Maybe Ric will get a pic and autograph it for me. Ric?
Posted By: Wood Re: Deer Camp - 12/08/08 08:36 PM
Blair, real nice buck. Your pictures bring back memories, I lived in your area back in the eighties, right near Asquith.
Posted By: JoeG Re: Deer Camp - 12/08/08 09:38 PM
Rainman do you have a recipe for that sausage you would share with a poor PA country boy that subsists on venison and fish??? I'd sure like to hear more about that, it sounds delicious.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Deer Camp - 12/08/08 09:48 PM
Joe, I'll look for one, or try to write it down. I pretty much throw everything at them, hence the comment about best and worst. I should have added NEVER the same. lol

Is there a Bass Pro near you?
Posted By: blair5002 Re: Deer Camp - 12/09/08 01:26 AM
I live about 30 miles from the forest where you americans can be outfitted. I know a few guys that guide up there. They have had a couple of bad years due to deer herd reduction caused by bad winters and the economy. lots of cancelations this fall.
Posted By: JoeG Re: Deer Camp - 12/09/08 12:14 PM
Rainman I believe there is a Bass Pro up near Buffalo a couple hours away from me, but I have never been there. Cabela's in Wheeling WVA is a 3 hour ride from here as well. I make most all my own recipes from scratch, I do however use a pre-mixed bologna spice kit, I haven't had any that tops it.

Blair I have always heard the deer up there are something special, sure would be nice to see for myself one day. I can understand the economy being a bad hit, those hunts cost upwards of $4K as I understand, more if you want to hunt with Jim Shockey, you know him???
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Deer Camp - 12/09/08 02:00 PM
not been on here much but Ric that is a whooper for NC. Do they have separate listings for handguns? If so not tht it matters to you but that has got to be NC record.

Dave thanks for the deer pic, great deer. I got 6 does with the bow all fell in site of stand so successful for meat. Bucks not much action this year in GA or land in KY. I hunt suburb ATL and client with 50 acres and cattle farm called last night and said the "big buck" I had on camera i send him pics of was a baby compared to the one he saw in driveway that walked down right under my stand, go figure. In metro ATL you can hunt through Jan so might go again but now in duck mode. Good luck to all for remainder of season. Nate how did the Iowa hunt turnout, as good as Ill?
Posted By: Sunil Re: Deer Camp - 12/09/08 02:14 PM
PM sent to Rainman and JoeG to start the "Best Deer Stick" competition.

Mold makes some cheeses taste better, right?
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Deer Camp - 12/09/08 02:19 PM
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
Mold makes some cheeses taste better, right?

Absolutely, little brother. Just don't try licking the mildew off of the shower curtain.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Deer Camp - 12/09/08 02:50 PM
I can't remember if you have my address or not Theo.

I know you got a deer this year.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Deer Camp - 12/09/08 04:05 PM
I've got a shower curtain, too. :P
Posted By: Sunil Re: Deer Camp - 12/09/08 04:11 PM
OK, just wrap the deer stick in the shower curtain and send it along.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Deer Camp - 12/09/08 04:13 PM
Ewwww!
Posted By: blair5002 Re: Deer Camp - 12/10/08 03:39 AM
Joe G No i do not know Jim. I watch the show all the time. I have friends that taped had their hunts taped by that Cody Robbins(Jims Camera man). He started filming for his own show.
Posted By: JoeG Re: Deer Camp - 12/10/08 03:33 PM
Blair the Jim thing was sort of a joke. We had a guy in our army unit that thought if you were from say Ohio, you would know the guy from his last unit that was from Ohio, or whatever state. He asked everybody stuff like "Do you know Bob Jones from Cleveland?" He was a good sort (Not Bob, I don't know Bob, though he may be a good sort too, I wonder if he fishes, but anyway....) just one of those jokers you remember some 20 years later after having not seen him for that many years.

I may hit you up for some names one day, next couple years are pretty full for me, but one never knows.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Deer Camp - 12/10/08 04:13 PM
Personally, I know Bob Jones from Cleveland well. Never cared much for him, though.
Posted By: JoeG Re: Deer Camp - 12/10/08 07:42 PM
That's the guy...heh heh.
Posted By: blair5002 Re: Deer Camp - 12/10/08 11:31 PM
I kind of thought it might but I wasn't sure. I get that all the time though. I can never tell with you crazy buggers.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Deer Camp - 12/11/08 04:12 PM
Iowa hunting was tons of fun! I almost got my dad to pull the trigger on a nice 8 pointer, but he just couldnt do it. (he has never been deer hunting before and did not want to miss)
I also almost got my father- in law to shoot his first deer, but he missed.

My uncle, cousins, and gpa went with their group on their annual deer drive and 22 guys got 17 deer on opening morning.

I hunted sat, sun, mon and tues. I saw over 130 deer, 150 turkeys, and shot a coyote with a hangun! I almost had a crack at a 160"+ class buck, but he just wouldnt get close enough. I killed several does for my gpa and passed on plenty of smaller bucks.

My mom and dad only hunted one evening due to the cold weather, but they had alot of fun and are looking forward to next year as well!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Deer Camp - 12/12/08 08:36 PM
n8ly, let me know whey you are ready for my address so you can participate in the "Best Deer Stick 2008" competition.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Deer Camp - 12/13/08 04:21 AM
We skin and process all of the deer ourselves. I eat the loins various ways and turn the rest of the deer into sliced and ground jerky. I skin and quarter the deer and my father in law in Iowa does the rest.

when I first signed on with Cabela's I got 40% discount on all Cabela's labeled merchandise. I purchased the biggest and best dehydrator, vacuum sealer, grinder, etc. Also many, many other items. Now they changed the discount to 10%???

Shoot me your address, I will send a surprise in the mail!
I have a fresh batch of smallmouth jerky......

later
Posted By: davatsa Re: Deer Camp - 01/17/09 06:18 PM
The Condello pose works with deer too!

Don't get me wrong, those are nice bucks, but holding them out really helps. The one on the right is the buck I harvested this year. I didn't see one that piqued my interest last year. The one on the left is from three years ago. He broke off his G-4 on the right side and his main beam on his left side. He came in fast chasing a doe, and I didn't see the broken main beam. Assuming he had a G4 on the left side past where the main beam broke off (likely) and kept his other G4 on the right, he would have been a monster. Oh well.

I was looking for the deer that busted him up, but didn't see another one big enough to do it.

Anyone else have end of the season luck?
Posted By: overtonfisheries Re: Deer Camp - 01/18/09 08:51 AM
Nice Deer Dave!!!

Those antlers make you look tiny...... ;\)
Posted By: Headhunter Re: Deer Camp - 01/25/09 02:14 AM
This was our fine catch for the season. Not the monsters you guys have in Texas but what can you expect from walking across the street from the house?

This was late muzzy and the last weekend we could hunt. They were walking by the north pond and we set up down the trail and waited. The doe came up to within 30 feet and the buck was about 80 yards, both down within 30 seconds of each other.

Normally, I prefer doe meat but the temps were dropping and the wind was rising so I didn't want to wait. Our high the next day was below zero with 30 mph winds.

The boys were watching from the house and came over to help with the gutting and skinning after both deer went down.

I grew up eating eastern Oregon mule and the corn feed Iowa whitetail are incredible in taste and texture.

Click on the photo and they blow up to full size.
My handle is from my profession as a recruiter, NOT (obviously) as a big game hunter!

Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: Deer Camp - 01/26/09 01:21 AM
Good job Headhunter! Nice to see the kids taking part!
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Deer Camp - 01/26/09 10:06 AM
Any deer is a trophy...
© Pond Boss Forum