Pond Boss
Posted By: Bruce Condello Condello photographic technique. - 06/07/08 07:50 PM
Well, I've taken so much grief for supposedly "emphasizing" the size of my fish because I hold my arms out a little when the photo is taken.

In this thread I'd like to encourage everybody to take at least one fish picture of themselves using my "technique".

Let's start with Mr. Shorty with one of his smallies!

hi guys,
o.k., i'll bite...

Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Condello photographic technique. - 06/07/08 08:51 PM
Excellent, DIED!

Here's my own personal favorite.

I will be thinking up prizes for the best three entries.
Posted By: heybud Re: Condello photographic technique. - 06/07/08 09:42 PM
Not as good as Master Condello, but I did the best I could. My arms were too short.

I havent ever taken pic like that so , maybe I will have to try next weekend at the pond.
Posted By: RobA Re: Condello photographic technique. - 06/07/08 10:21 PM
Do you think the "Condello Technique" could have helped this picture?

Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Condello photographic technique. - 06/08/08 02:05 AM
Wow, Bruce! Your FPPT really works! I just held this BG way out in front with my arms and it looks huge, albeit a little limp.

Posted By: Eastland Re: Condello photographic technique. - 06/08/08 02:55 AM
That is hilarious Theo \:D My wife often asks while I'm viewing threads..."what are you laughing at?"

I always say...it's just the PB guys, they are really good people.

Then, she asks why? And I never have an answer, just a cheezy grin!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Condello photographic technique. - 06/08/08 03:59 AM
Here's one a customer didn't have to use the Condello technique. It's 55 inches. Notice how small the fins are for the body size. Detroit River, Michigan.

Posted By: catmandoo Re: Condello photographic technique. - 06/08/08 12:26 PM
I couldn't possibly compete on photographic ability, nor with a big fish like Theo's -- so I had to resort to getting a beautiful blond to help.

Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Condello photographic technique. - 06/08/08 12:51 PM
Greg Grimes' contribution...

Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
Greg Grimes' contribution...

LOL GREATNESSS!!!

he looks like a keeper!!
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Condello photographic technique. - 06/08/08 01:41 PM
I agree that photo is a classic.
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Condello photographic technique. - 06/08/08 01:47 PM
Bruce -- I heard from an "informed" source that your common carp in that picture would have been a state record?
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Condello photographic technique. - 06/08/08 01:56 PM
 Originally Posted By: Dave Willis
Bruce -- I heard from an "informed" source that your common carp in that picture would have been a state record?

With that length, and assumed Wr's it could have been in the neighborhood of our state record. I would have gotten so much grief from friends that I'd have never turned it in.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Condello photographic technique. - 06/08/08 01:57 PM
 Originally Posted By: RobA
Do you think the "Condello Technique" could have helped this picture?

The "Condello rules" state, that if you catch a small fish you're supposed to hold it further away from the camera. This photo is disqualified. ;\) \:\)
Posted By: RobA Re: Condello photographic technique. - 06/08/08 09:18 PM
I caught that bass on an in-line spinner almost as big as he was. I'm not sure what he was thinking.
Posted By: rockytopper Re: Condello photographic technique. - 06/09/08 05:34 PM
You think if I would have used Bruce's techinque that these fish would have looked more their real size considering how big I am?

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=10618&Number=115610#Post115610
Wow!!!! Just look at this monster bass.He is practicing the Condello Technique. From this weekend

Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Condello photographic technique. - 06/17/08 05:32 PM
How big is that bass, FatMcB?

Seven...maybe eight pounds?
In bruce lbs..... 8.5..... in real lbs..... 12 ounces
Posted By: n8ly Re: Condello photographic technique. - 06/27/08 04:43 PM
Here are some examples of what the Condello technique can do for your fish.

regular technique

condello technique

regular technique

condello technique

and a snapping turtle just because

Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Condello photographic technique. - 06/27/08 05:13 PM
Now THATS'S what I'm talkin' about! \:D
 Originally Posted By: n8ly
Here are some examples of what the Condello technique can do for your fish.

regular technique

condello technique

regular technique

condello technique

and a snapping turtle just because

And the gold goes to........
Posted By: Sunil Re: Condello photographic technique. - 06/27/08 05:25 PM
As I've said before, n8ly, your subjects are really using the Cheyenne method of FPPT which has the signature effect of an eye to eye relationship.

As far as the snapping turtle, I assume you are wearing a steel-mesh jock-strap?
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Condello photographic technique. - 06/28/08 05:30 PM
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
As far as the snapping turtle, I assume you are wearing a steel-mesh jock-strap?

If you don't have one FMB, I can loan you mine. Just don't ask why I have one.

I know, Sunil, I know. I'm a freak.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Condello photographic technique. - 06/30/08 02:10 AM
Without doing proper research, I just figured the condello technique was a straight arm, but I take it that the cheyenne technique is holding the fish vertical with its head at eye level with one hand and no smiling.

The condello technique must be to hold the fish horizontal with 2 arms strectched out fully and a big 'ole cheesy grin???

Please someone set me straight or add what I have missed?
Posted By: n8ly Re: Condello photographic technique. - 06/30/08 02:10 AM
The turtle was shot in the head, so no need to worry about her and hence the pic of the back side, not the front.
Posted By: Ryan Freeze Re: Condello photographic technique. - 06/30/08 01:23 PM
Proper demonstration of the Condello technique:
Before

After

Posted By: Sunil Re: Condello photographic technique. - 06/30/08 02:59 PM
Ryan, I'd say the fish in your first picture is about 3-3.5 lbs.

The fish in your second picture is easily 9 lbs. plus.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Condello photographic technique. - 06/30/08 03:49 PM
It did increase in weight at least 150%!
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Condello photographic technique. - 06/30/08 04:40 PM
Ryan, concerning the all important "using your right hand technique", drop the lower 4 fingers and raise the thumb just a "schosh" - this makes the tail section look larger.
Posted By: Ryan Freeze Re: Condello photographic technique. - 06/30/08 07:39 PM
Comparison of rmedgar's description of improper and proper finger placement technique of the Condello method of the EXACT same fish. Notice how much larger the lower fish appears
Before:

After:

Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/01/08 02:39 AM
Those are some grade-A examples. I'm really proud of how much y'all have learned from me. I will have to agree however, that the fingers in front of the fish have to minimized so as not to give the viewer too much perspective.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/02/08 06:42 PM
Work OK with toads, too.

Posted By: RobA Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/02/08 07:02 PM
What's that thing growing out of the top of your head?
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/02/08 07:39 PM
That's Bruce's personal rotorcraft hat. Having fished every single BOW in Nebraska and all its surrounding states which can be reached 1) from shore, 2) by boat, 3) by float tube, and 4) personal watercraft of every type, Bruce is now prepared to hit fishing areas that require flying in to.

A minor limitation is the range restriction imposed by the extension cord.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/02/08 08:19 PM
I'm a comin' Beanie boy
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/02/08 08:19 PM
Nice cap, I'd say!
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/02/08 08:26 PM
Yep Nice Cap I remember the day when he had on the nice Aquatic Env shirts, those were the days.
Posted By: Ryan Freeze Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/03/08 02:16 PM
The technique also works on Bruce himself. Notice the young lady in the left of the photo is only about the same size as Bruce and his headdress and the person in the right is only slightly larger than the matchbook being carried.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/03/08 03:34 PM
I see the Argo in the background. Is that yours Bruce? I have a Max IV. Talk about fun vehicles.

Oh and don't let these guys get to you about the hat. I have one in blue and I'm always getting compliments.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/03/08 03:48 PM
I still need an explanation for the carnival pony-ride contraption

Posted By: Sunil Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/03/08 03:51 PM
I want more info. on the Mars Lunar Lander there.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/03/08 04:01 PM
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
I want more info. on the Mars Lunar Lander there.

That's an Argo, not sure of the model or year.

Here's my Max IV....

They are aquatic so you can run them across a pond. Fantastic traction, will climb almost anything. Mine has a 20HP Kohler Magnum twin cylinder motor. 20HP doesn't sound like much but it's all about torque and gearing. The sheapskin seat covers were optional.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/03/08 05:19 PM
Yes, that's the Argo "Bigfoot". Couldn't live without it. When something needs done on the pond I can literally do it ON THE POND.
Posted By: Ryan Freeze Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/03/08 05:31 PM
My brother was servicing an Argo for a hunting buddy one February and decided to test it out around midnight in a neighbors pond. That thing leaked like a seive! Nothing more invigorating than being soaked to the skin in 20 degree temps.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/03/08 06:14 PM
Really? Mine has never leaked a drop.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/03/08 06:38 PM
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
The sheapskin seat covers were optional.

Pretty proud of that Accounting degree, ain't cha?
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/03/08 08:41 PM
 Originally Posted By: Ryan Freeze
My brother was servicing an Argo for a hunting buddy one February and decided to test it out around midnight in a neighbors pond. That thing leaked like a seive! Nothing more invigorating than being soaked to the skin in 20 degree temps.

Must have had something wrong with it. I don't know about Argo's but the Max has seals where each axle passes through the body, much like a propeller shaft seal in an in-board boat. Other than that the hull is sealed just like a boat. As long as the seals are properly maintained there shouldn't be any issues. I don't use mine on the water much (mostly to forge streams, etc) because I always have my Alum Boat handy. Argo and Max are the top brands in the AATV (Aquatic ATV) markets and both are well respected.

I also have a Polarius Ranger and I can tell you that the Max will run circles around it. Much higher power to weight ratio in the Max. I'm gonna build a tilt bed for the back one of these days.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/03/08 08:42 PM
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
Pretty proud of that Accounting degree, ain't cha?

You bet, it took me years to eat all of the Cracker Jacks to get it.
Posted By: Ryan Freeze Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/04/08 12:39 PM
The 8x8 Argo was on "How it's made" on the Discovery channel last night. It's pretty elaborate what they do to seal the axles. My brother was complaining about how much chain there was to lube and I got to see why. The one he was working on was an 8x8 and not a 6x6. They said the 8x8 is $16,000!!! That's triple what my truck and bass boat are worth combined \:D \:D \:D
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/04/08 03:02 PM
There is definately a lot of chain to lube. A "loaded" 8x8 is fairly expensive. I bought my Max used by a guy that restores/refurbishes used ones. I paid $4,500 for it. They require maintenance just like anything else. They have their place in your tool arsenal and are fun. Out here in the west fire is a major concern, just watch the news and you will see what I mean. The advantage of a Max or Argo is that all of the "hot" components (engine, transmission, exhaust) is inside the hull. So you can literally go crashing out across a field of tall grass and never worry about starting a fire (unlike a Polarius or virtually every ATV where grass can touch exhaust and cause a brush fire).

They are not a replacement for a truck/bass boat combo. Obviously they cannot do all the things that you can do a truck and bass boat. They are used more in hunting rather than fishing - they definately do not compare to a boat. That being said with a Max or Argo you can drive it through a forrest (or swamp as is done in the south frequently) forge a 10 foot deep stream, climb steep and/or very muddy trials, bag a large deer (or as they do in the Pacific Northwest a large boar), load it onto the AATV and drive it back out. With 6 wheels driving they have incredible traction. Mud, water, reeds, very steep inclines, large logs, all things that would stop an ATV or UTV are not much of a challenge for an AATV.

Here in the west there is a group of folks that get together once a year, put a bunch of camping gear and fishing gear on their AATVs, drive them up the famous Rubicon Trial, fish a couple of lakes and sections of rivers that are only accessible through either hiking in (over 50 mile hike) or using a serious off road vehicle and then drive them back out. Something you could never do with a truck and boat combo. Someday my wife and I plan to do that trip.
Posted By: Ryan Freeze Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/05/08 01:41 AM
My brother and his friend use it for deer hunting on land that was leased from the Mead Paper Mill. They have small water ponds, creeks, ditches brush,food plots etc they need to travel through to get to their fully enclosed, heated stands. The are awesome and definetely well suited. I would take one over an ATV or ATUV anyday and would love to make a trip as you decribed.

Now that I remember, the bottom wasn't what leaked, it was the non-existant roof that was the problem when whe plunged in after barreling down the hill and I think it was New Years eve, not February, which may explain why my memory is so foggy
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/07/08 03:16 AM
Anybody want to venture a guess how big this fish really was?

Posted By: george1 Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/07/08 11:47 AM
Based on extrapolation of approximation of length of Bruce's forefinger nail, CSBG is 10 inches long and weighed 1 pound... \:\)
Posted By: Sunil Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/07/08 12:05 PM
"Anybody want to venture a guess how big this fish really was?"

No, but I'm glad to see you're growing your hair out.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/07/08 12:14 PM
Given that I heard rumors that Bruce had freakishly long arms, I just assumed that his fingernails are also freakishly long.

I'm guessing that he is holding a pregnant Golden Shiner that is 4 to 5 inches long.
Posted By: davatsa Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/07/08 12:30 PM

Coincidence? I think not...
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/07/08 12:32 PM
\:D \:D \:D
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/07/08 01:22 PM
Allowing for the fact that he ate both of Bruce's thumbs, 1lb 6ozs.

"don't know, don't care" - Al Bundy
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/07/08 02:14 PM
George your good. I'll go slightly bigger 10.25 inches and 1.25 lbs.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/07/08 11:40 PM
Good guess, George.

Good guess, rmedgar.

Great guess, Greg.

10 3/8 inches

1 lb. 4 oz.

Posted By: rmedgar Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/08/08 01:15 AM
Great fish. Is there a story behind your new signature line?
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/08/08 01:39 AM
 Originally Posted By: rmedgar
Great fish. Is there a story behind your new signature line?

Google it and you will also find the cryptic quote...

"The arsonist had oddly shaped feet."

Posted By: Ryan Freeze Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/08/08 12:40 PM
Bruce,

You're so wise. You're like a miniature Buddha, covered in hair.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/08/08 12:44 PM
Bruce,

What?! You know I don't speak Spanish!
Posted By: Ryan Freeze Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/08/08 12:46 PM
Oh, we're going there.

Sweet Lincoln's mullet.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/08/08 02:55 PM
Well I can see you're back to your psychological warfare tactics. Measuring the poor defenseless fish on a chopping board. Next thing you know you're gonna place markings on a machete and use that for measuring or use a blender to determine mass or something.

The horror never stops at the Condello Institute for the Creation of Ludicrously Proportioned Blue Gills.
Bruce,

this guy???

Anybody want to venture a guess how big this fish really was?

10 3/8 inches ?

1 lb. 4 oz. ?
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/08/08 05:12 PM
Ryan, I'm sorry I ate your chocolate covered squirrel.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/08/08 05:13 PM
Well I can see you're back to your psychological warfare tactics. Measuring the poor defenseless fish on a chopping board. Next thing you know you're gonna place markings on a machete and use that for measuring or use a blender to determine mass or something.

The horror never stops at the Condello Institute for the Creation of Ludicrously Proportioned Blue Gills.

Hmmmmm. Blender....

I like that.
was my guess correct?
I was just eyeballing it.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/08/08 05:52 PM
"Four out of five Dentists recommend against their patients eating chocolate covered squirrels."
-American Dental Association press release

Obviously you're the 5th Dentist.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/08/08 06:06 PM

Chocolate covered squirrel? I never got a chocolate covered squirrel. Dang, how is it that I miss out on all the good stuff.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/08/08 06:10 PM
FMB, you're a walking Boga Grip.
Posted By: Ryan Freeze Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/08/08 06:12 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, can I please have your attention. I've just been handed an urgent and horrifying news story. I need all of you, to stop what you're doing and listen. Cannonball!
FMB, you're a walking Boga Grip.

You take that back!!! nobody talks about my momma like that!!
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/08/08 06:58 PM
Jeez, FMB

I had no idea

that you got so touchy

when someone talked about

YO MOMMA
She wasnt a "bota" if that what your saying!!!!
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/08/08 10:30 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, can I please have your attention. I've just been handed an urgent and horrifying news story. I need all of you, to stop what you're doing and listen. Cannonball!

60% of the time, it works all of the time.
I can make that work.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Condello photographic technique. - 07/09/08 04:05 PM
Well, I could be wrong, but I believe diversity is an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War era.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Condello photographic technique. - 09/22/08 05:07 AM
This weekend I got to fish the finest stretch of native trout stream in Nebraska, the "Snake River"! What a blast. I caught rainbow trout up to 15 inches, and I got this beauty! \:\)

Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Condello photographic technique. - 09/22/08 09:58 AM
Show off.
thats a gorgeous fish bruce. i love the dark lateral line spots. i've only seen those well developed on wild ca goldens.

something like this:

Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Condello photographic technique. - 09/22/08 11:39 PM
I was pretty happy. They are beauties! \:\)
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Condello photographic technique. - 09/23/08 01:14 AM
...and these were beauties, too!!

Posted By: the stick Re: Condello photographic technique. - 09/23/08 02:12 AM
That rig would be illegal in MN. Your sure believe in highly visable and stout fishing line!
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Condello photographic technique. - 09/23/08 03:03 PM
Bruce, two comments. First, where are the real photos from your trip. Second, I sure hope you don't run with sissors tied around your neck.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Condello photographic technique. - 09/23/08 03:04 PM
Oh and DIED, stop spray painting fish.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Condello photographic technique. - 09/23/08 03:45 PM
I sure hope you don't run with sissors tied around your neck.

Not to worry. The waders slow him down to a safe pace.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Condello photographic technique. - 09/23/08 04:49 PM
Dave! That picture is interesting! I know you can't see it real well, but my fish had similarly colored fins to that picture. I'll try to find another shot of one of those fish.

What the heck was I catching?
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Condello photographic technique. - 09/23/08 04:59 PM
Here's another one that I caught. To my uneducated eye it looks just like the fins on DIED's fish.

I just figured these were rainbows and the spots were Parr markings that the young generally have.

??????

Here's another one that I caught. To my uneducated eye it looks just like the fins on DIED's fish.

I just figured these were rainbows and the spots were Parr markings that the young generally have.

??????

WOW that thing is a monster...looks like he could swallow the camera!!
thats tough to answer bruce, what kind of stocking program goes on there? are they managing to grow wild populations? it definitely looks like a wild fish though not necessarily a native fish, i'd be really surprised if that was a hatchery fish.

true CA goldens are about the only trout i know where parr marks remain into adulthood. true goldens need alpine or subalpine conditions so probably not planted there, although they are reported to hybridize readily w/ rainbows and cuts and have been reportedly stocked throughout the rockies.

my guess is a young rainbow, but it could be something interesting such as some form of hybrid between (cut x bow, or golden x cut/bow). there are also some oddballs like paiute and apache trout that i've never seen or caught.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Condello photographic technique. - 09/24/08 01:44 AM
Interesting...

But a pure rainbow wouldn't have those types of fin coloration, right?
actually, wild rainbow here usually have pinkish fins, its one of the telling features between hatchery and wild fish...to my limited knowledge, all pellet fed hatchery raised bows have transluscent (grayish) fins.....although some holdover hatchery fish might develop pinkish fin colorations as they naturalize and assume proper wild fish diets....
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Condello photographic technique. - 09/24/08 12:30 PM
OK, that makes sense.

In Nebraska I've never caught a wild rainbow until this weekend, which could account for why I've never seen the normal colorations. I was definitely thinking of rainbows having the grayish fins.
© Pond Boss Forum