Pond Boss
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Weather - 02/08/08 08:26 PM
Ok, it is 74 degrees here and the weekend is forecast for 70 both days. My rose bushes have been putting on new growth for about 10 days. Some of the various trees are putting out some new growth and some trees are budding.

The native oaks and mesquite haven't been suckered into the deal. They know that more weather will be sent from up North.
Posted By: Shorty Re: Weather - 02/08/08 09:05 PM
Sure, rub it in Dave, we still have snow on the ground and at least 12" of ice on the ponds. \:\(
Posted By: davatsa Re: Weather - 02/08/08 09:31 PM
Might hit 80 south and east of San Antonio this weekend.

My wife and I are headed to my mom's place. She'll be looking to get a tan, and I'll be looking to see if this weather has fooled a few LMB into an early spawn.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Weather - 02/08/08 09:35 PM
Cold snap again forecast here this weekend. I hope the ground freezes, as I've got about 3 tractor loads of firewood I still want to cut and haul in this Winter.
Posted By: george1 Re: Weather - 02/08/08 09:43 PM
Thanks Dave, for the perfect forecast for a day in the woods this weekend – deer season doesn’t just end with the shooting.

Three sons and three nephews will meet in the country bright thirty in the morning, armed with chain saws and axes to clear trails and clearings where deer were spotted this season – and work on the old camp house.

My main priority is to maintain and preserve the “old road” to the old “home place” where my grandpa moved his family from Ft. Worth 100 years ago because he didn’t want to raise his children in the “city”. No electricity – no indoor plumbing – water from a spring that still flows.

Lots of food and camaraderie….
Life doesn’t get any better than this... \:\)
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Weather - 02/08/08 10:24 PM
George,

That sounds cool!

It's supposed to get down to -2 tommorow night here. But I'll take this over tornados!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Weather - 02/08/08 11:02 PM
Don't worry Shorty, we have several more cold fronts to go before the oaks and mesquite take a chance.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Weather - 02/09/08 11:45 PM
Dave, We had a 52 mph wind gust here this morning as a cold front was coming through. It was 24 degrees at that time. It is currently 4 degrees and I suspect we will see 10 below zero here tonight.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Weather - 02/11/08 03:37 AM
Dwight, just got back from a weekend in the country. 70 to 75 with light winds. I have a pot bellied stove in my white trash trailer house that I had to use overnight. Nighttime weather was in the 40's and inside it was 60. A little chilly for my weak blood. We had the high wind gusts last week.

Fish came to food but after awhile they ignored night crawlers under a red and white plastic cork. We actually have a chance of rain tomorrow night and into Tuesday norning. My place has been 45 days wihout measurable precipitation. I'm not sure I could survive your snow and ice but at least I would again see mud. Every County in Texas has a ban on outdoor burning.

By the time of the PB conference, I will using the restroom indoors again.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Weather - 02/11/08 01:25 PM
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
By the time of the PB conference, I will using the restroom indoors again.

Good thing it's in July this year. Now I know why it moved from the Windham.
Posted By: heybud Re: Weather - 02/11/08 01:42 PM
High today in West Texas 76. Predicted high for Friday 36 and snow.
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Weather - 02/11/08 02:27 PM
Forecast is for 2-4 inches today. Snow, that is, of course! This winter just won't let go for us!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Weather - 02/11/08 03:59 PM
0 degrees F here this morning.

So uncool.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Weather - 02/11/08 04:08 PM
Dave,

You remind me of my dad who spends his winters in Florida now with my mom. He says, "it got cold here today." I say, how cold?" He says, "60's." I laugh and say, "You poooooooor baaaaaaaaaaaaaby!" \:D
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Weather - 02/11/08 04:27 PM
Cecil, it will be nice here again today but that's about it. Normal temps of 40 to 50 for a high for 3 days and then nasty stuff returns Friday. Of course, nasty stuff is a relative term compared to what you guys are dealing with. Guess I'd better go buy a coat.
Posted By: Ryan Freeze Re: Weather - 02/11/08 04:52 PM
Yesterday morning, we had 18F temps and 35 MPH wind. Is this a recipe for "supercooling"? I didn't have any ice and there were whitecaps on my little pond. There was a skim of ice this morning, near 0 temps and much less wind.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Weather - 02/11/08 06:44 PM
You're expecting heavy snow later on tonight in to tomorrow aren't you Ryan? I know at least west central Ohio has a Heavy Snow advisory.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Weather - 02/11/08 07:51 PM
 Originally Posted By: Ryan Freeze
Yesterday morning, we had 18F temps and 35 MPH wind. Is this a recipe for "supercooling"? I didn't have any ice and there were whitecaps on my little pond. There was a skim of ice this morning, near 0 temps and much less wind.

I had whitecaps yesterday, too. A lot of heat leaves ponds under those conditions.
Posted By: FattyMcButterpants Re: Weather - 02/11/08 09:23 PM
Global Warming??
Posted By: Ryan Freeze Re: Weather - 02/13/08 10:06 PM
They were calling for 6-10" of snow yesterday of which they lowered several times throughout the day. It ended up not even covering the grass but I had to chip off 1/4" of ice off my truck to go to work this morning. Maybe I'll have enough ice on the pond to catch a few BG this week.
Posted By: Shorty Re: Weather - 02/13/08 10:12 PM
 Quote:
Yesterday morning, we had 18F temps and 35 MPH wind. Is this a recipe for "supercooling"? I didn't have any ice and there were whitecaps on my little pond.

Keep your fingers crossed if you have RES in your pond. I know that those types of conditions are ideal for a shad die off too. \:\(
Posted By: Ryan Freeze Re: Weather - 02/13/08 10:20 PM
No RES but that's a good point about the shad, I've seen it happen on larger lakes and it can be quite a mess. The HSB I stocked really seemed to keep the GSH in check last year but I did seine a couple of large ones that promptly became compost. I'll keep an eye out for casualties as things thaw out.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Weather - 02/20/08 02:47 PM
-22 overnight with wind! Spring is about 30 days away. Yeah right!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Weather - 02/20/08 02:54 PM
 Originally Posted By: FattyMcButterpants
Global Warming??

Short term temps don't count. It's the long term trends that count if you want to argue whether the the earth is getting warmer or not.

Moderators: If this is too political you can remove it.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Weather - 02/20/08 02:56 PM
 Originally Posted By: Dwight
-22 overnight with wind! Spring is about 30 days away. Yeah right!

Two things about Spring that never cease to amaze me.

1.) Nature doesn't seem to know when the first day of spring is

2.) The people (not referring to you) that get fooled when it warms up early and they think "Well spring is here!"
What's really a hoot is those same people seem to get fooled year after year! \:D
Posted By: Dwight Re: Weather - 02/20/08 03:20 PM
You are right on that Spring trickery thing. I don't figure it is really spring until all the ice is off the pond.

On Global Warming; the earth has warmed and cooled over an over again long before we were here and it will continue to so after we are gone. It is not political, it is nature. It is the politicians that make it a political issue.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Weather - 02/20/08 03:26 PM
You are right on that Spring trickery thing. I don't figure it is really spring until all the ice is off the pond.

On Global Warming; the earth has warmed and cooled over an over again long before we were here and it will continue to so after we are gone. It is not political, it is nature. It is the politicians that make it a political issue.

What I find sad is IMHO politics and special interests are disputing scientific data because they don't like the messenger.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Weather - 02/20/08 03:39 PM
I am done discussing this topic as it will be shut off by one of the moderators anyway.
Posted By: ewest Re: Weather - 02/20/08 03:50 PM
Edited to keep the politicians out.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Weather - 02/20/08 03:54 PM
 Originally Posted By: ewest

Wish that worked on my TV set. \:D
Posted By: Dwight Re: Weather - 02/20/08 04:56 PM
ewest, you see, I knew that we had crossed the edge and you would be responding in this appropriate way.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Weather - 02/20/08 07:10 PM
 Originally Posted By: ewest

What'd I miss?

I do respect that we keep politics off of this website as the feelings can be so strong that battles and hard feelings can ensue. But if anyone does want to discuss politics, science, and other world issues, I strongly recommend the following website. Surprisingly discourse is kept to a minimum and there are people on the site from all over the world. Some very qualified people too as in professors, scientists etc. When you get to the page you want to click on "poltical forum." I'd love to see you there Dwight! ;\)

http://www.whistlestopper.com/index.php?s=
Posted By: Dwight Re: Weather - 02/20/08 09:06 PM
Cecil I am a lurker.....
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Weather - 02/21/08 12:48 AM
Cecil I am a lurker.....

So you stay out of debates because... \:\/

Posted By: catmandoo Re: Weather - 02/21/08 01:42 AM
I guess I'll hijack this back on topic.

It sure was a pretty evening to plow snow. We got about 4-5 inches this afternoon and evening. Even before it quit, a huge moon rose in the east and brightly lit the landscape with really long shadows. It is extremely still, kind of crisp at 16 degrees, and the snow was squeeky under my boots. Critter tracks went every which way. Only about half the pond is frozen. In the moonlight on the snow gives the pond a ying-yang pattern.

By the way, there is a great weekly Podcast/MP3 weather show for weather geeks on Minnesota Public radio called Jet Streaming. It is at Jet Streaming from MPR

Ken
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Weather - 02/21/08 02:48 AM
Are you able to see the eclipse tonight Ken?
Posted By: Dwight Re: Weather - 02/21/08 07:08 PM
Even at my advanced age, I am still learning.....
Posted By: heybud Re: Weather - 03/03/08 01:46 PM
Snowing today in West Texas. 75 degrees yesterday
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Weather - 03/03/08 02:21 PM
Chance of a couple of inches of snow this afternoon in the D/FW metromess. Wore short sleeve shirts all weekend. But WE GOT 1.2 INCHES OF RAIN overnight.
Posted By: TOM G Re: Weather - 03/03/08 05:25 PM
Dave,PLEASE keep the snow to yourself.I just finished redoing the backside of my dam and really dont want snow on the grass seed.Thank you!!!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Weather - 03/04/08 12:26 AM
Hey, Tom, it's snowing here in the metromess. And just where else can you count on moisture for the seed?

You know, it was so nice yesterday that I almost bought some bedding plants (flowers).
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: Weather - 03/04/08 01:04 AM
gonna be 70 and sunny tomorrow....hopefully playing hookey w/ an old client....will post up some pics of another nice day on the water \:\) if'n we do good \:\)
Posted By: ericdc Re: Weather - 03/04/08 02:55 AM
tired of these cold fronts now that it is march I'm ready for spring weather.
Posted By: FattyMcButterpants Re: Weather - 03/04/08 03:26 AM
snowing here now, like DD said.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Weather - 03/04/08 03:47 AM
Winter Storm Warming here. Freezing rain, snow and colder temps into the single digits predicted starting tomorrow into next week. No sign of a warm up.

Snow mostly melted by today but there will be at least 4 inches of new snow again by this time tomorrow.

Did see some holes in the ice in the ponds where I had made holes earlier with the auger.
Posted By: Chris Steelman Re: Weather - 03/04/08 11:23 AM
It started snowing here after 1 am. Right now we have at least six inches of snow with more on the way.
Posted By: TOM G Re: Weather - 03/04/08 02:03 PM
I guess I got lucky.The front must have moved weird cause I got rain but no snow.
Dave,I got rain just about right for the seed but it only went down to mid 30s.Im glad its not white here.Id hate to post a pic and be accused of painting my yard.heck,Ill probably mow this weekend.Would have done it sunday but got done on the dam too late
Posted By: Chris Steelman Re: Weather - 03/04/08 06:56 PM
I think we ended up getting a foot of snow. It is definitely the most snow I have ever seen. The good thing is that school was cancelled. \:\)
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Weather - 03/04/08 10:03 PM
Tom, for seed purposes, snow might be better than rain. Rain can wash seeds off a dam. However, snow melts slowly and from the bottom. It adds more moisture to ground water. Of course, it takes a lot more snow than we get to equal an inch of rain. And that is everything I know about snow. I'm still wondering where the white goes when the snow melts.
Posted By: FattyMcButterpants Re: Weather - 03/04/08 10:08 PM
dont asks me, I am an Aggie. We haven't been able to make ice since the guy with the recipe graduated
Posted By: Dwight Re: Weather - 03/04/08 11:45 PM
Winter has been so long here that the LMB and YP are coming up in the ice fishing holes to see if Armageddon has occurred above the surface. When they see us looking back down the hole they turn around knowing that all is good.

They are biting on FH at an alarming rate.
Posted By: ewest Re: Weather - 03/05/08 01:42 AM
It is amazing how much a fish can eat right after it comes out of Cryogenic suspension. \:o -- ;\)
Posted By: Dwight Re: Weather - 03/05/08 02:36 AM
Could be courting season coming around!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Weather - 03/05/08 03:53 AM
Hopefully they are not coming up in the water column due to diminishing oxygen levels! \:o

I just removed several inches of snow off the ponds several days ago with walking pneumonia. Tonight it's snowing like hell and we may get 5 inches by daybreak. Then it's time to remove snow again.

This darn global warming is producing too much snow! \:D
Posted By: Dwight Re: Weather - 03/05/08 02:37 PM
Winter Oxygen test: Get yourself a few dozen FH and leave them in the bait bucket (lid on) without changing water for about three days. Wait until they are all up close to the surface of the water in the bucket. Now drill a hole in the ice, dump the minnow bucket water out on the ice and fill the bucket with water from the hole you just bored. Weight 10 minutes. If the FH have all moved to the bottom of the bucket and are congregated together the oxygen level in your pond water is good. Natures own tools at work.
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Weather - 03/05/08 02:45 PM
Dwight -- let's call that the "biological" dissolved oxygen test. \:\)
Posted By: ewest Re: Weather - 03/05/08 04:03 PM
But you added O2 to the pond water when it went from the pond to the bucket. \:\(

Bore a big hole and with your hand and arm stick a separate bucket down into the big hole 18 in below surface -- wait 1 min. and remove. Set the bucket down on the ice while you chip off the ice from your ice encased arm and hand - then do the test above and check BDO test for results - no bias in this method. It does carry a strong risk of frostbite however. \:D -- ;\)
Posted By: Dwight Re: Weather - 03/05/08 11:34 PM
BDO test, I do love a good acronym! \:\)

ewest, even Cecil would only try your method once not withstanding a bit of bias (BoB).
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Weather - 03/06/08 12:25 AM
Assuming for 3 days the bait bucket and minnows were not outside (otherwise they would be frozen) one has the distinct possibility of killing the minnows with thermal shock by replacing 50F-60F water with 34F water from the water in the ice hole.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Weather - 03/06/08 01:51 AM
 Quote:
Assuming for 3 days the bait bucket and minnows were not outside (otherwise they would be frozen) one has the distinct possibility of killing the minnows with thermal shock by replacing 50F-60F water with 34F water from the water in the ice hole.

The bait bucket is one of those thick styrofoam ones. It sits in the garage, outside on the step, or in the back of the pickup truck. The FH are always is 34ish degree water around here in the winter. When the bucket freezes in real cold weather the FH all move to the center and wait for a bucket warming trend. \:\)
Posted By: FattyMcButterpants Re: Weather - 03/07/08 01:10 AM
well we got around 3-4 inches of some weird cold white substance down here in Texas today. I didnt know what to do ,so I took the kiddo outside

the statue I made was shortly tackled by the lil man
Posted By: Chris Steelman Re: Weather - 03/07/08 02:21 AM
It has been snowing here since 2 pm. We are supposed to get 8 inches or more.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Weather - 03/07/08 03:16 AM
\:\)
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Weather - 03/07/08 03:40 AM
Hey guys I have an idea. What if I use my D.O. meter?

What can I say. I'm a Keep it Simple Stupid kind of guy. \:D \:D \:D

So how's that bucket going to tell us if we have global warming or not Dwight? \:D
Posted By: Dwight Re: Weather - 03/07/08 02:42 PM
Cecil - What brand and model D.O. meter do you have? I have thought about getting one; but the bucket method, though complicated, is cheap.

A bucket has no knowledge of weather and climate phenomena, a barrel is required for that.
Posted By: TOM G Re: Weather - 03/07/08 04:01 PM
O K Which one of you clowns came down here last night and painted my place WHITE \:o
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Weather - 03/07/08 04:08 PM
Cecil - What brand and model D.O. meter do you have? I have thought about getting one; but the bucket method, though complicated, is cheap.

A bucket has no knowledge of weather and climate phenomena, a barrel is required for that.

YSI 550
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Weather - 03/07/08 04:55 PM
Tom G -- Sorry about that! However, we were -15 F last night, and this is March!! We can' take care of ourselves, much less your snow! \:\)
Posted By: Dwight Re: Weather - 03/07/08 05:12 PM
Dave, This has been the longest, coldest winter I can remember in recent history. I just hope we don't skip spring and go directly to the 90 degrees and 90% humidity of summer!
Posted By: M Spinhirne Re: Weather - 03/07/08 05:18 PM
Snow even came as far south as Conroe, Texas. Not any stuck, but it came down none the less.
37 F low and snowing. Who would have thought it could snow in March in south Texas. redbuds and dogwoods in bloom and snow on the blooms!
Posted By: TOM G Re: Weather - 03/07/08 05:45 PM
Dave...wednesday it was 79 and I was wearing shorts and t-shirt working in the yard!!I cant believe we got 1 1/2 inches of snow that stuck.Its melting pretty fast though.Probably be back in the 60-70s this weekend.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Weather - 03/07/08 05:57 PM
We supposed to get 15"-18" of snow in 36 hours; the first 3" have showed up on schedule. They've actually cancelled 2nd shift tonight at work!
Posted By: davatsa Re: Weather - 03/13/08 02:26 AM
The projected high on Friday is 95.

Time to start swimmin' in the ponds. It's a matter of preventing heatstroke at this point.
Posted By: Weissguy Re: Weather - 03/13/08 08:31 AM
Still waiting for the weather to stay above freezing for a long enough stretch to bring those water temps up here in NW Missouri. Pond is finally ice free now, but I haven't had much luck fishing yet.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Weather - 03/13/08 06:33 PM
Hey it's in the low 50's here for a high today in northeastern Indiana with sunny skies and it feels like a heat wave. Snow is gone and the weather is working a little on the ice on the ponds. The trout pond is no longer safe around the edges. I was able to break ice there with a spud quite easily.

I'm looking forward to feeding the fish again in open water. Maybe in a week or two?
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Weather - 03/13/08 11:58 PM
I'm excited. Although it was 17 degrees this morning when I left for work, it is still in the low 60s at nearly 8:00 PM. All the frost is finally out of the ground -- the driveway isn't mushy anymore.

I again took a small amount of feed down to the pond at dusk tonight. The trout went absolutely crazy. I've had one silly bass living under the dock for at least three years, and he loves pellets (he also gets caught weekly during the summer). He was out gobbling a few pellets this evening for the first time this year. More big bluegill were up attempting to lethargically grab pellets before the trout got them.
Posted By: FattyMcButterpants Re: Weather - 03/14/08 12:30 AM
High of 75 today supposed to hit 90 tommorrow. and it snowed here last week, INSANE i tell ya.
Posted By: Weissguy Re: Weather - 03/14/08 01:49 AM
 Originally Posted By: FattyMcButterpants
High of 75 today supposed to hit 90 tommorrow. and it snowed here last week, INSANE i tell ya.

That was just plain mean to tell us that. I'm jealous.
Posted By: TOM G Re: Weather - 03/14/08 10:26 AM
Weissguy,If it makes ya feel any better it'll be 110 in the shade in 2 weeks,everyone will plant the garden,then it'll snow again & wipe everything out :oGives us something to do in springtime :/Then it'll get hot real hot
Posted By: FattyMcButterpants Re: Weather - 03/14/08 11:57 AM
yeah the really hot stuff is a few weeks away.
Posted By: davatsa Re: Weather - 03/14/08 09:48 PM
The weathermen finally got it right...it's officially 95 right now in SATX.

Perfect day for fishing. I promised my wife I'd see Cirque du Soleil with the inlaws tomorrow, but I'm headed to the ponds after that!

Yankee pondmeisters- Feel free to laugh at me about August. For now, it's good to be in the south!
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Weather - 03/14/08 10:27 PM
 Originally Posted By: davatsa
Yankee pondmeisters- Feel free to laugh at me about August. For now, it's good to be in the south!

Hard ... to ... respond. Can ... hardly ... type. Cracked fingers ... bleeding all ... over keyboard. :P
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Weather - 03/15/08 04:49 AM
Well my trout pond is almost ice free. The ice was rotten so I cranked up the diffuser and it really did a number on the ice. Saw two 3 1/2 pound browns chasing each other and I got plenty of brooks and browns to feed in the evening. I hydrated the 5D06 to make it easier for them to digest in the cold water.

Other ponds are ice covered with open edges but absolutely not safe to walk on. If one managed to get out to the thicker ice you'd still go through.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Weather - 03/20/08 02:15 AM
Raining in SW Minnesota \:\)
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Weather - 03/20/08 03:13 AM
All my ponds are ice free now. Just saw this gem at the National Weather Service though. \:\(

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA
1049 PM EDT WED MAR 19 2008

...LATE SEASON WINTER STORM LIKELY FRIDAY INTO SATURDAY...

.A LATE SEASON WINTER STORM SYSTEM WILL HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO
PRODUCE SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL AMOUNTS FRIDAY INTO SATURDAY
AFTERNOON ACROSS MUCH OF NORTHERN INDIANA...SOUTHWEST LOWER
MICHIGAN...AND NORTHWEST OHIO. SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 4 TO
8 INCHES WILL BE POSSIBLE BEFORE TAPERING OFF SATURDAY AFTERNOON.

Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Weather - 03/20/08 12:32 PM
NO! NO MAS! NO MAS SUPERCOOLING!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Weather - 03/20/08 02:27 PM
What's MAS?
Posted By: Shorty Re: Weather - 03/20/08 03:06 PM
Cecil, Se habla espanol?

NO MAS = No more!

I guessing Theo does not want to lose anymore RES. ;\)
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Weather - 03/20/08 03:34 PM
Si!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Weather - 03/20/08 03:56 PM

Posted By: catmandoo Re: Weather - 03/21/08 03:46 AM
All right you guys! This is no longer humorous!

Quote:
A Winter Storm Watch is in effect for Somerset County for Friday night to Saturday. Light snow will begin late on Friday night and become moderate to heavy after midnight. The snow will quickly end on Saturday morning, but not before leaving several inches in its wake.

The heaviest snow will fall in the Allegheny Mountains, and the lightest accumulations will be east of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Frederick County.

I hope Sunil wasn't planning on making it to his pond this weekend.

It was almost 70 much earlier today. I guess the grandkids will now be trying to find their Easter eggs under the snow!

Ken

P.S. The pond is just inches from going over the emergency overflow.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Weather - 03/21/08 03:52 AM
Join the club Ken. I had complete iceout yesterday and will probably be in a winter wonderful sometime tomorrow.

Now that my ponds are open I've run my favorite heron off three times. I told him I have a permit now to shoot him but he just laughs at me as he flies off.
Posted By: davatsa Re: Weather - 03/21/08 03:54 AM
Send some lead his way, Cecil.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Weather - 03/21/08 04:51 AM
Home Sweet Home!

These are pictures from this time last year -- as I recall. We were just about to head off to the PB conference.

My front porch.

My back porch.
[size:14pt][/size]
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Weather - 03/21/08 10:49 AM
With the exception of the trees, that kinda reminds me of Amarillo on a nice Spring day.

Ken, what is that thing on the ground in the 2nd picture?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Weather - 03/21/08 02:49 PM
Send some lead his way, Cecil.

I did and couldn't believe I missed! It's almost like he has supernatural powers! \:o \:o \:o

Maybe I'm the coyote and he's the roadrunner.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Weather - 03/27/08 01:58 AM
Heavy snow warning here tonight.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Weather - 03/27/08 02:06 AM
Sorry to hear that. That's what you get for living in Minnesota. \:D

I'm sure the summers are nice - all two weeks of it. \:D
Posted By: davatsa Re: Weather - 03/27/08 02:23 AM
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

I'm sure the summers are nice - all two weeks of it. \:D

That's what we say about winter here.
Posted By: ceadmin Re: Weather - 03/27/08 01:22 PM
Cecil,

Winter Storm is hitting here. It was 57 deg. out yesterday. Today I woke up to 31 and 2 inches of snow back this morning. Errrghhh!!!!

It's still snowing too!
Posted By: Dwight Re: Weather - 03/27/08 01:37 PM
We lucked out and only got about 3-4 inches. Thanks for your support!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Weather - 03/27/08 03:22 PM
We lucked out and only got about 3-4 inches. Thanks for your support!

You are most welcome Dwight! \:D
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Weather - 03/27/08 05:52 PM
Gonna be 85 here today.
Posted By: FattyMcButterpants Re: Weather - 03/27/08 10:55 PM
It hit 87 for a high for me today
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Weather - 03/28/08 01:51 AM
Snow on and off all day last Saturday. Nearly 70 yesterday.

I've got to bring in my tender young plants tonight. 21 predicted for tonight.

I haven't checked my water temperature for several days, but the trout sure are hungry, and quite a few bluegill are joining in the evening feast.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Weather - 03/30/08 01:43 AM
 Originally Posted By: catmandoo
Snow on and off all day last Saturday. Nearly 70 yesterday.

I've got to bring in my tender young plants tonight. 21 predicted for tonight.

I haven't checked my water temperature for several days, but the trout sure are hungry, and quite a few bluegill are joining in the evening feast.

Ken,

What is your altitude there?
Posted By: bz Re: Weather - 03/30/08 03:00 AM
Today was the second day this year we got up to about 50. My pond is finally starting to thaw. I now have about a 50 foot diameter opening where the aerator is. I can't wait for spring! My pond normally completed thaws out around April 15. We'll see if it does this year.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Weather - 03/30/08 09:50 PM
Heavy snow warning here for late tonight and tomorrow, again!
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Weather - 03/30/08 10:19 PM
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

Ken,

What is your altitude there?

All,

We are actually quote low. We are only about 1100 feet. We are on the northeast side of "Timber Ridge" which is the WV/VA state line. The ridge is probably about 1400 to 1500 feet. When we have snow, the Virginia side of the ridge frequently has rain.
As we go west from here, the ridges just keep getting higher and higher -- until you get to the ski resorts about 50-60 miles west of us. With the high ridges, they really suck the moisture out of the "lake effect" moisture coming down from Ohio and PA.

We've really seen it all this weekend. On Thursday night we headed to Williamsburg, VA for a conference, where it was 82 on Friday. It is only four hours away. The grass was green, the daffodils were done, and the redbuds and forsythia were budding. As we came home today, it was sleeting and snowing in Richmond. Our daffodils are just starting to bud.

Nothing like Dwight's forecast. Just normal spring weather forecast for the rest of the week. Fifties during the day, 30s at night.

The trout were glad to see me tonight. Two decided to come in for dinner. The remainder were dancing for their pellets.

Ken in High View, WV
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Weather - 03/31/08 11:30 AM
Unusually warm/hot here. My thermometer hit 90 yesterday. We're running the AC.
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Weather - 03/31/08 12:54 PM
Dwight -- at least it melts within 24 hours at this time of year.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Weather - 03/31/08 01:51 PM
Dave, That is the good part. We had a 12" snow storm on the last day of April several years ago so we can still get a day of winter here and there for another month. \:\(
Posted By: bz Re: Weather - 04/01/08 01:10 AM
Report from central MN, we got 5 inches of snow today and still going. Looks like winter again. How's it down south Dwight?
Posted By: george1 Re: Weather - 04/09/08 04:13 PM
2.5 inches more rain in N.E. Texas ponds last night - on top of 4+ inches last week.
Water gushing from siphon tube again - handles run-off beautifully.

Fish will have to learn to swim in fresh water after drought years swimming in fish poop...
Posted By: Dwight Re: Weather - 04/09/08 07:17 PM
Here we go again, another Winter storm watch for tomorrow night and Friday.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Weather - 04/10/08 01:27 PM
Now it's a Blizzard Warning! \:\(

This is all the ice we have left. See it over there against the west shoreline? \:\)

Posted By: bz Re: Weather - 04/11/08 12:38 AM
I'm expecting 4 to 9 inches by tomorrow. It's got to be global warming! My pond is about 2/3 thawed out now.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Weather - 04/11/08 12:39 AM
It's going to snow here tonight, tomorrow and tomorrow night. Luckily the days start getting shorter in about ten weeks.
Posted By: ewest Re: Weather - 04/11/08 01:14 AM
Looks like Dave Willis is in for about a foot and Dwight for maybe 2 feet of snow. \:o
Posted By: Dwight Re: Weather - 04/11/08 01:27 AM
ewest, We are down to a winter weather advisory from a blizzard warning. Yip Yip Yahoo!
Posted By: ewest Re: Weather - 04/11/08 01:29 AM
I think the blizzard warning moved to SD.
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: Weather - 04/11/08 01:43 AM
count yer blessings pondmeisters, out here its sunny windy and 60's to 70's, 80's this weekend. pond is a foot down already due to lack of rain and evaporation (and minor seeping).

we've received NOTHING yet in april and only had 0.5 inches in march
Posted By: Brettski Re: Weather - 04/11/08 01:51 AM
...and the midwest is drowning
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Weather - 04/11/08 01:52 AM
...except Lincoln, which is extra cold, AND extra dry for the year. \:\(
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Weather - 04/11/08 01:55 AM
Now it's a Blizzard Warning! \:\(

Growing up, I thought Minnesota and Wisconsin was absolute paradise on earth. When I was nearly 22, I got drafted for Viet Nam. I thought it was the worst thing that could ever happen to me.

I ended up in the Navy, where they treated me real nice during my six years of active duty. They sent me to lots of warm places.

As a kid on the shores of Lake Superior, I hunted Easter eggs in the snow, and I trick-or-treated in the snow many times. A little while ago, I talked to my brother who lives on the south shore of Lake Superior. They are expecting about 15 inches of snow by tomorrow afternoon. High winds too.

Through my so-called adversity of becoming a "trained killer" I learned that there was a less harsh world out here. West Virginia is pretty nice. No tornadoes. No real earth quakes. Doesn't get much colder than about zero. Doesn't get much warmer than 95. Most years, we get just the right amount of snow and the right amount of rain. Good fishing. Good hunting. People as nice as Minnesotans and Wisconsinites. What more could someone ask for?

It hit 72 here today. Same boring forecast for tomorrow.

I feel real fortunate. Time to get some tomato and pepper plants started.
Posted By: davatsa Re: Weather - 04/11/08 01:57 AM
Like D.I.E.D., we're in a drought of our own down here.

Ponds are 4-5' low. The highs have been in the high 80s or low 90s for awhile now...August will be miserable.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Weather - 04/11/08 10:51 AM
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
...and the midwest is drowning

Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
...except Lincoln, which is extra cold, AND extra dry for the year. \:\(

I keep telling you Bruce, you are in the North Central States, not the Midwest. The real Midwest is way to the East of you folks who are smack dab in the middle of the country.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Weather - 04/11/08 11:17 AM
At 3:15 yesterday morn, I was awakened by a huge thunder clap. That cost me about 45 mins of sleep. Hey, it might rain and we only got 9/10 inch. We also got straight line 80 mph winds that took out huge trees, flipped tucks, etc. My house came out OK. It also clobbered electricity and cable TV/internet/VOIP. Got everything back last nite. Oil lamps are OK, Alladin lamps are problematic but my old Coleman lantern was great. The 5 year old Coleman fuel was still good.
Posted By: TOM G Re: Weather - 04/11/08 06:48 PM
Dave,we got the same storm and I didnt even lose power at the house.However,I got an est for over 5 K at my shop for roof damage that my ins said wasnt covered...go figure
Posted By: Dwight Re: Weather - 04/25/08 01:09 PM
We have freezing rain here this morning. It has already taken down some branches, ripped my American flag and it's mount out of the side of the office and froze up the wind speed and direction sensors on my weather station. We are expecting 4 inches of snow accumulation later this morning. It was 78 degrees 2 days ago! Snow on April 25, 2008.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Weather - 04/25/08 03:22 PM
We have freezing rain here this morning. It has already taken down some branches, ripped my American flag and it's mount out of the side of the office and froze up the wind speed and direction sensors on my weather station. We are expecting 4 inches of snow accumulation later this morning. It was 78 degrees 2 days ago!

That was a Minnesotan January Thaw.
Posted By: davatsa Re: Weather - 05/10/08 02:43 AM
My dad and I are headed to the ponds tomorrow morning. The new crappie pond is completed, and I will try to get some pics.

Weather.com projects the high at 100. It ain't dry heat, either.

Whoever stopped in San Antonio and decided it would be a nice place to start a city must've had a lobotomy immediately beforehand. It marks the dividing line between the arid hill country and the coastal plains. To the west/northwest is the 100+ dry heat, and to the southeast is the thick, soupy gulf air. We get both.
Posted By: ewest Re: Weather - 05/10/08 12:37 PM
I always thought a moist oven cooked better anyway - that is unless you were making jerky. \:o \:D
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Weather - 05/10/08 01:09 PM
Whoever stopped in San Antonio and decided it would be a nice place to start a city must've had a lobotomy immediately beforehand. It marks the dividing line between the arid hill country and the coastal plains. To the west/northwest is the 100+ dry heat, and to the southeast is the thick, soupy gulf air. We get both.

Speaking on behalf of the state of Ohio, we will take an even swap - San Antonio for Cleveland. We get The Alamo and all those (ex?) Air Force bases, Texas gets the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame and The Only Damn River in the World That Burns.

P.S. We will throw in the Chamber of Commerce-approved slogan, "The Last Resort"
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Weather - 05/10/08 02:11 PM
You guys make me real happy that I live in West Virginia. It doesn't get too hot, it doesn't get too cold, we get reasonable amounts of snow, we don't get tornadoes, we don't have earth quakes, and we have few mosquitoes or other irritating flying bugs. I just wish I could get the garden in. It has rained hard the last four weekends in a row -- then beautiful during the work week. Another 1-1/4 inches of rain last night.

I just read that they can't have the opener of walleye season in Northern Minnesota this morning because the ice still isn't off the lakes.
Posted By: heybud Re: Weather - 05/10/08 02:19 PM
Rain! I need rain. In Midland, we have had about a half inch of rain since January. The Lazy W pond in Goldthwaite is down about 4 feet.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Weather - 05/10/08 02:25 PM
I second that Heybud. In El Dorado county we are very short of rain as well. March and April were two very bad months. My spillway stopped running this year by mid April, not a good soon.

Normally DIED's pond and mine drop 6-7 feet in a year. Last year they both dropped more like 7-8 feet. Who knows what is in store for this year.

I may have to start a new forum "Mud Hole Boss."
Posted By: TOM G Re: Weather - 05/10/08 02:27 PM
Cat,I hate to see anyone missing out.As Im having an exceptional mosquitoe harvest this year and thier big,fat and bite really well.Ill box up a couple 100,000 and overnite them to you.The package will self-open upon arrival
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Weather - 05/10/08 02:44 PM
Tom, need any Elodea for packing material???
Posted By: davatsa Re: Weather - 05/10/08 10:01 PM
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus

Speaking on behalf of the state of Ohio, we will take an even swap - San Antonio for Cleveland. We get The Alamo and all those (ex?) Air Force bases, Texas gets the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame and The Only Damn River in the World That Burns.

P.S. We will throw in the Chamber of Commerce-approved slogan, "The Last Resort"

While your offer is lucrative, I think I'll pass. San Antonio is actually a nice place if you can overlook 5-6 months of torturous heat. Parts of it have a small-town feel, but it's also the 7th largest city in the country and home to my San Antonio Spurs (though things aren't looking so great for them right now). Our river may be muddy, but it doesn't burn. I suppose we'll claim the Alamo, too.
Even though "Cleveland rocks," you can keep it.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Weather - 05/11/08 12:24 AM
I visited San Antonio once, maybe 10 years ago. I remember the Riverwalk as very charming and dinner in some restaurant rotating at the top of a tall spire. I missed visting the Alamo (by design...I got my fill during PeeWee's Big Adventure).
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Weather - 05/11/08 12:56 PM

While your offer is lucrative, I think I'll pass. San Antonio is actually a nice place if you can overlook 5-6 months of torturous heat. Parts of it have a small-town feel, but it's also the 7th largest city in the country and home to my San Antonio Spurs (though things aren't looking so great for them right now). Our river may be muddy, but it doesn't burn. I suppose we'll claim the Alamo, too.
Even though "Cleveland rocks," you can keep it.

Nobody ever wants Cleveland!
Posted By: Brettski Re: Weather - 05/11/08 01:48 PM

Nobody ever wants Cleveland!

I'll take the flats. Way back when, when Dski and I had the SeaRay, we dropped it in at Port Clinton and scooted over to Cleveland for a weekend to see the Indy car race at Burke Airport. At that time, the flats were just going thru a renaissance. It was pretty slick.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Weather - 05/27/08 10:27 PM
Frost here tonight in northern Indiana. May 27th. So much for that last frost date of May 15th!
Posted By: pondsea Re: Weather - 05/28/08 01:53 AM
Cecil, thank God for global warming, or you would really be in bad shape.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Weather - 06/03/08 02:50 AM
Global Warming? I prefer to call it Global Climate Change. ;\)
Posted By: heybud Re: Weather - 06/03/08 11:51 AM
106 degrees in Midland, Texas yesterday. Predicted high today is 108, tomorrow high is 109 then it cools off to 103. Ah! and it's only June. Can hardly wait for August.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Weather - 06/03/08 12:42 PM
Yep, just another day in paradise. It does seem a little coolish here with only 99 predicted for today.
© Pond Boss Forum