Pond Boss
Posted By: Snipe Red shiner growers note.. - 05/19/22 03:57 AM
Hey all, those of you wanting to raise Red shiner, I have some advice for ya... If the young don't show up the first full summer, don't panic just yet. I have a 3rd pond that had some fhm in that I stocked about 100-110 Reds in around mid summer 2020 at a friends place and just like with my forage pond, it showed nothing last summer. We ran some traps the last 2 days and his pond is FULL of 2" reds. Don't give up on them early.
Posted By: FishinRod Re: Red shiner growers note.. - 05/19/22 03:36 PM
Thanks for the update on your experiment.

VERY helpful information!
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Red shiner growers note.. - 05/20/22 02:03 AM
Good info and update. Are you doing anything special for their spawning success?
Posted By: jpsdad Re: Red shiner growers note.. - 05/20/22 10:49 AM
This is great. What are your thoughts about FHM & RSH together in a forage pond? Do you see any less FHM when the RSH take off? Even if so, production is usually increased by combinations. RSH like mid-water/pelagic habitat whilst the FHM prefer bottom habitats. So this should exploit more of a ponds niche habitat than a single species treatment.
Posted By: Snipe Re: Red shiner growers note.. - 05/21/22 02:12 AM
I have reds in 2 ponds, one has grass and river bulrush, the other has 3/4" gravel basin. FHM, BNM and reds all survive together.
I see the Reds spawning up on the gravel pretty often once water hits 70. I haven't been able to actually observe them in earthen shores/bulrush/grass as far as spawning goes.
The only time I see them in schools is when they are new fry or a super calm evening they will be in groups near the surface.
© Pond Boss Forum