Pond Boss
Posted By: azteca Central Mudminnow. - 01/13/22 06:36 PM
Hello.

There is a good article in the Mag, PB, on the Central Mudminnow.

But I am reluctant to put it in my pond.

Are there any members here who have experience with Central Mudminnow.
A+
Posted By: jim100 Re: Central Mudminnow. - 01/14/22 12:43 AM
I have a ditch up by the road on my property. ( Southwest Michigan) Flows for a couple weeks in the spring. Sometimes I will notice the central mudminnow in there. Not obvious where they come from. It's Like magic. Never thought about transplanting any.
Posted By: azteca Re: Central Mudminnow. - 04/16/23 10:40 PM
Hello.

Here is a picture of the Vernal pool, there are Central mudminnow, I don't know how they got there.

This Vernal pool dries up for 3 months from July to September.

So can Central mudminnow survive in mud for 3 months.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
A+
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Central Mudminnow. - 04/17/23 12:08 AM
azteca - yes these minnows are very tolerant of almost no oxygen and are able to utilize some atmospheric oxygen. That is why they are called mudminnow.
Posted By: lmoore Re: Central Mudminnow. - 04/17/23 05:22 PM
If I had a good source I would try them in my pond. They are native to my area but I've never seen them locally.
Posted By: FishinRod Re: Central Mudminnow. - 04/17/23 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by lmoore
If I had a good source I would try them in my pond. They are native to my area but I've never seen them locally.

Yep, they look pretty chunky and should provide a decent meal.

Do you have a spot to seine any nearby creeks? Seining my creek almost always turns up several species that I DO NOT notice, even when closely observing the creek.
Posted By: lmoore Re: Central Mudminnow. - 05/15/23 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by FishinRod

Yep, they look pretty chunky and should provide a decent meal.

Do you have a spot to seine any nearby creeks? Seining my creek almost always turns up several species that I DO NOT notice, even when closely observing the creek.

Sorry Rod, had my notifications turned off so I never saw your post. I have a couple nearby that drain into and out of a large marsh area that seems it would be good mudminnow habitat. My 4 (soon to be 5) year old is as crazy for that stuff as I am so we'll see if we can find anything once the water warms a bit this spring.
Posted By: FishinRod Re: Central Mudminnow. - 05/15/23 05:31 PM
My 4 (soon to be 5) year old is as crazy for that stuff as I am so we'll see if we can find anything once the water warms a bit this spring.

Fathers and sons out exploring nature is about an 11 on my "good times" meter!
© Pond Boss Forum