Pond Boss
Posted By: John Kruid ID : Bait shop shiner GSH? - 03/30/21 12:02 AM
Wondering if these are GSH? Thanks

[Linked Image from forums.pondboss.com]

[Linked Image from forums.pondboss.com]

Attached picture image.png
Attached picture image.png
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: ID : Bait shop shiner GSH? - 03/30/21 12:51 AM
It is too hard to ID them in the bag. Medium small GSH are not easy to ID. Ask or call where you bought them if they came delivery from Arkansas or a fish farm. If yes then they are GSH. If locally caught then they could be something else.
Posted By: John Kruid Re: ID : Bait shop shiner GSH? - 03/30/21 12:58 AM
Darn, was hoping that would work. I will ask have to call and ask where they came from. I put some in a small pond that has no fish in it. If they are no good I can take care of them. Maybe i'll wait till they are larger and attempt more pics. Thank you
Posted By: esshup Re: ID : Bait shop shiner GSH? - 03/30/21 03:38 AM
One way to easily verify if they are GSH is by the lateral line. If it takes a sharp dip down as it moves from the head towards the tail of the fish that is a characteristic of GSH. It would be easier to ID the fish if it was in a rectangular clear plastic container. The rounded outside of the bag distorts the characteristics of the fish a bit.
Posted By: RAH Re: ID : Bait shop shiner GSH? - 03/30/21 10:31 AM
Are there really any issues in a pond if they are another shiner species? Could you just ask the bait shop what fish farm they came from and investigate from there?
Posted By: John Kruid Re: ID : Bait shop shiner GSH? - 03/30/21 02:57 PM
Since they are already in a small pond with zero fish i'll wait until they are a bit bigger and post pics again. There was about 125 of them. Yes, I can ask where they came from, but knowing them they may think I'm trying to bypass them on purchases.
Posted By: Snipe Re: ID : Bait shop shiner GSH? - 03/30/21 03:09 PM
That's a Red shiner... 99% positive.
Posted By: John Kruid Re: ID : Bait shop shiner GSH? - 03/30/21 03:16 PM
Were the red shiners the crevice spawners?
Posted By: esshup Re: ID : Bait shop shiner GSH? - 03/30/21 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by John Kruid
Were the red shiners the crevice spawners?

https://www.fishbase.de/
Posted By: Snipe Re: ID : Bait shop shiner GSH? - 03/30/21 04:15 PM
Red shiner will put eggs on the kitchen table if they swim over it..
Posted By: John Kruid Re: ID : Bait shop shiner GSH? - 03/30/21 04:15 PM
Thanks guys
© Pond Boss Forum