Pond Boss
Posted By: Cole B. Fathead minnow stock tank - 05/19/20 05:40 PM
I would like to know if it would be possible to raise/breed fathead minnows in an approx 300 gallon stock tank. I have two stock tanks that are successfully raising an endless supply of gambusia and I am wondering if the same scenario would be possible with fatheads. I would remove the gams of course as they would definitely prey on the FH fry. The stock tanks are not filtered or aerated but one of them has contained some bluegill for over a year with no problems so I imagine if the BG can handle it the oxygen and waste levels would be tolerable for FH. If I add PVC pipes would raising an endless supply of FHM to transfer to my other ponds be possible?
Posted By: john kelsey Re: Fathead minnow stock tank - 05/20/20 11:22 AM
Just like Tilapia you would have to have some sort of filter for the waste. And it depends how many fish you had in the tank.
Posted By: CityDad Re: Fathead minnow stock tank - 07/30/20 06:42 PM
Hey guys didnt want to start a new thread.

I read on another pond forum that goldfish make a decent feeder for Bass etc due to size and quick spawning and ease of care.

Anyone have a thought on that?
Posted By: lmoore Re: Fathead minnow stock tank - 07/30/20 07:32 PM
In my opinion, the bad outweighs the good significantly with goldfish. You end up with giant colorful carp that keep the bottom stirred up and outcompete your desirable species for food. Plenty of BOW around the country that have dealt with issues from people releasing tank fish.

[Linked Image from forums.pondboss.com]

Attached picture gold.jpg
Posted By: Snipe Re: Fathead minnow stock tank - 07/31/20 01:59 AM
Goldfish is not the problem.. Koi are the issue, just a different pigment variation of common carp. The barbel on each side of the mouth indicates "carp". Common goldfish would not be near as bad-potentially-as carp could be.

As for raising FHM in a tank, a good aquarium setup works well but not much room for numbers.
Posted By: lmoore Re: Fathead minnow stock tank - 07/31/20 01:36 PM
Yes Koi are a "bigger" issue, but even common goldfish have been found pushing 3 pounds after being released into lakes and are also closely related to common carp. Its a personal choice, but I think there are plenty of other species available that would perform better overall. At the very least do a Google search on goldfish in lakes and familiarize yourself with the potential implications if you choose to go that route.
Posted By: Mfitzs70 Re: Fathead minnow stock tank - 07/31/20 03:15 PM
Is it just me or am I weakling but that guy in that picture isn't struggling at all and barley has a hold of it.
Posted By: jim100 Re: Fathead minnow stock tank - 08/01/20 11:52 AM
That's a big goldfish or carp/koi but I think there is a bit of the trick of how you photo it going on. I doubt it is really five feet long and two hundred pounds like it looks!
It is shocking looking however.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Fathead minnow stock tank - 08/01/20 11:53 AM
Agree. Phony pic.
Posted By: esshup Re: Fathead minnow stock tank - 08/10/20 04:58 AM
Calling Bruce Condello!!!!
© Pond Boss Forum