Pond Boss
Posted By: Ben Adducchio Help with Fish ID - 04/12/17 01:59 AM
So we found this on the down stream side of the pond outlet. At first I though it was a carp but the dorsal fin is not long enough. Then it occurred to me that we stocked 30 LCS summer of 2015. I think this might be one of them but I am having trouble due to the slight decay. I attached the 2 pics I took, any help would be appreciated.

Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Help with Fish ID - 04/12/17 02:26 PM
Yes - it is an escapee chubsucker. Very good growth for two years old.
Posted By: Ben Adducchio Re: Help with Fish ID - 04/12/17 02:27 PM
Thanks Bill! Nice to know they are still in there and looking quite healthy.
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: Help with Fish ID - 04/12/17 03:22 PM
Ben,
I agree it is good to know the LCS survived. I rarely see mine but did get one to go in a trap last spring. Yours really are eating well! The young LCS are easier to spot as they have prominent dark black stripes down the side. They tend to cruise the shallows in groups but I haven't been able to spot them in my pond. It may be my LCS don't have very successful hatches due to conditions in my pond.
Posted By: Ben Adducchio Re: Help with Fish ID - 04/12/17 05:24 PM
CC, I was not too optimistic last year but I did remember you said you hadn't see yours so I was hoping for the best. I was excited at the prospect of finally seeing a full grown one, he was in the 8-10" range. Wish I had my wits about me at the time and I would have remembered to put it on a tape measure.

The only thing I can catch in my traps is tadpoles, or "frogpoles" as my kids call them, and lots of them. Trying to setup my traps in the current of the inflow, Bill C. said I would have better luck there but it is still hard to get them.

I assume they grew so well due to the FA in the pond, I read a science advisory paper out of Canada that stated FA is a big part of their diet while under 5" and to a lesser extent when they are bigger. They also use it or dead grass for spawning which I have both. I would love to catch one in a trap to verify reproduction. I would seine it but it would not be easy due to the slope.
© Pond Boss Forum