Pond Boss
Posted By: Old Wood Help Needed to ID Minnows - 04/26/16 04:30 PM
I trap minnows from a bold creek at the front of my property. On a good day as many as 200. Some are creek Suckers which are called Horny Heads around here in the mountains of Va. They grow pretty big and will take live bait when mature. Recently catching something new to me. Vertical bars like Perch with spotted tails. Also I would like to ID my minnows. I have a real hard time posting pictures. Could anyone help if I emailed photos direct?
TIA, Mike
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Help Needed to ID Minnows - 04/26/16 05:16 PM
Hey Mike,

Sent you a PM with my e-mail address. I can post them later this afternoon unless you get a better offer before then.

Bill D.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Help Needed to ID Minnows - 04/26/16 08:25 PM
Mike's Pics

Posted By: canyoncreek Re: Help Needed to ID Minnows - 04/26/16 08:29 PM
I'd venture a guess as 'log perch' but the tail isn't right. It looks a like a flat paddle tail rather than a slight split tail like a log perch is supposed to have. There also is a very unique pigment pattern on the tails that are throwing the ID off for me.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Help Needed to ID Minnows - 04/26/16 08:46 PM
Mike,

There's not really anything in the pics to provide scale. If the striped ones are only a couple inches long, I will guess a kind of darter, maybe duskytail.
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: Help Needed to ID Minnows - 04/26/16 08:54 PM
I think Bill D nailed it. I google image searched duskytail darter and that same checkerboard pigment on the tail, and the fused, paddle tail looks dead on. Great idea to always have something for size reference (quarter, dollar bill (did you know they are 6" long?), credit card).
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Help Needed to ID Minnows - 04/26/16 10:47 PM
If they are Duskytails, and it is very possible given you're located in Virginia, they are pretty rare and are on the endangered species list.

IMO the first pic showing the other fish is not clear enough to make any definitive ID. A close up with something for scale in the pic would help.
Posted By: JKB Re: Help Needed to ID Minnows - 04/26/16 11:38 PM
I bought some minnows directly from a trapper in the late 90's before they hit the bait shop. One was confirmed as being on the endangered list. I kept my mouth shut.

I bought the minnows as YP bait, as that was what they were sold for, and held them over in tanks for a while. Upon discovery, didn't think it would be a good idea to blab it on the internet.
Posted By: Old Wood Re: Help Needed to ID Minnows - 04/27/16 11:15 AM
They are about 2 inches long. I will use something in future pictures to scale with. There were about a dozen or so in the trap so hopeful making a comeback. I will throw them back in the future.
Thanks again for the help Bill. If you don't mind I will take better pictures and send those to you as well.
Mike
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Help Needed to ID Minnows - 04/30/16 10:03 PM
Here’s a few more pics from Mike. The first two are of his mystery minnows. They are 2 to 2.5 inches long. Last pic is one of his Rainbows.

He's still looking for an ID on the minnow. smile

Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Help Needed to ID Minnows - 04/30/16 10:54 PM
Those is the picture in the grass really look like bass minnows to me.

That nice dark line.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Help Needed to ID Minnows - 04/30/16 11:28 PM
I'll guess an Eastern Blacknose Dace
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Help Needed to ID Minnows - 04/30/16 11:30 PM
It would help if the pictures were in clear focus and closer to the minnow.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Help Needed to ID Minnows - 04/30/16 11:55 PM
+1

Mike, FYI yer camera skills are only slightly better than mine! grin

I just ran across this old thread where Catmando had some great pictures of Blacknose Dace. Do yer fish look like these pics?

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=348227

© Pond Boss Forum