Pond Boss
Posted By: RER Brook Silversides - 12/29/15 04:35 PM
Any one have experience with or have any thoughts on the addition of Brook Silversides as forage? I have about 50 of them and am thinking of trying to let them breed in a small forage pond to get some numbers to start adding them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brook_silverside

Seems they would be a nice forage fish for SMB and YP ponds too.
Posted By: RER Re: Brook Silversides - 01/06/16 09:37 PM
I just bought 50 of them so I hope they work out.
Posted By: CJD Re: Brook Silversides - 01/06/16 09:59 PM
I would think for a forage species you would want something that spawns more prolifically like bluegills or FHM. I think a few bass will wipe 50 of these out in no time.
Posted By: RER Re: Brook Silversides - 01/06/16 10:16 PM
CJD,
I actually don't have any bass in my pond. I have Flounder, Snapper, Redfish, Snook and Tarpon.

I have BG, Tilapia,GSH as well as loads of GAMS as forage. I am just looking to get more diversity and fill different niche on the forage base.

I am planning on keeping them in a forage pool until they spawn this spring and hope to get good numbers of them. I will keep breeders going for breeding and continue to add them as they reproduce in an attempt to get them established in the predator pond....
Posted By: CJD Re: Brook Silversides - 01/06/16 11:35 PM
Well you have plenty of predators. Even if you get a spawn, unless they are continuously spawning, I don't think they will last that long when introduced to the predator pond. In Florida, Gills can spawn almost year round, I'd concentrate my efforts with them if I was looking to add to the food chain.

I'm curious as to the numbers or stocking ratio of fish that you have.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Brook Silversides - 01/06/16 11:59 PM
Originally Posted By: BobbyRice
....I am planning on keeping them in a forage pool until they spawn this spring and hope to get good numbers of them. I will keep breeders going for breeding and continue to add them as they reproduce in an attempt to get them established in the predator pond....

Very cool Bobby. I say go for it, especially since they will occupy a different, and currently unused, niche in your pond. Same reasoning I am using for trying to get PSC established in my pond this spring. IMO if you have the correct habitat, don't waste it.
Posted By: RER Re: Brook Silversides - 01/07/16 02:16 PM
Originally Posted By: CJD
Well you have plenty of predators. Even if you get a spawn, unless they are continuously spawning, I don't think they will last that long when introduced to the predator pond. In Florida, Gills can spawn almost year round, I'd concentrate my efforts with them if I was looking to add to the food chain.

I'm curious as to the numbers or stocking ratio of fish that you have.

I have a feeder set up to keep the BG fed to encourage good spawns which they do as you mentioned with frequency along with the Tilapia, got the BG and TP covered.

not sure as to exactly how many as the snook and tarpon showed up on their own.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Brook Silversides - 04/02/16 06:02 AM
Bobby, any update? Brook silversides have always been a species I have wanted to experiment with but since they are so delicate to handle and are not native to my area, I just have never been able to source them... I think they will fill a niche other species in your pond haven't.
© Pond Boss Forum