Pond Boss
Posted By: Lunatic How to catch mosquitofish? - 04/22/14 09:57 PM
I've tried the good ol' net but they are too fast and will not come close enough to shore. I've been thinking of making a bottle trap, does anyone know any bait or something that will help lure them into it?
Posted By: esshup Re: How to catch mosquitofish? - 04/23/14 12:14 AM
You try mosquitos? wink grin

Seriously, you can catch them in a regular 'ol minnnow trap. Put some dry cat food inside the trap and see what shows up. You can try dry dog food, fish food pellets, etc. Place the trap in 1'-2' of water, having the open ends parallel to shore.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: How to catch mosquitofish? - 04/23/14 01:10 AM
For the top swimming mosquito fish, try leaving about 1/4 to 1/3 of the trap out of the water so it funnels the surface swimmers into the throat as they swim near the surface.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: How to catch mosquitofish? - 04/23/14 10:10 AM
That's good Bill. I hadn't thought of that.

I toss out a small amount of pellets to draw the fish. Then I put some pellets in something like a small bag made of panty hose. Then drop 5 or 6 pellets loose in the trap. Check it ever 30 to 45 minutes or they will escape.
Posted By: RER Re: How to catch mosquitofish? - 04/23/14 12:41 PM
I use a small sein net. Takes two but works well. Wal mart sells small minnow sein nets abut 6 ft long.
Posted By: Tums Re: How to catch mosquitofish? - 04/24/14 01:53 PM
My Gams eat crushed floating feed well which makes them easier to seine. Dicks Sporting Goods sells a 4' deep x 12' long minnow seine with 1/8" mesh called the Ranger Minnow Seine. It comes with the floats and cost just over $20. Several other brands of minnow seines come with 1/4" mesh "which helps if you prefer to miss some of the smaller minnows".
© Pond Boss Forum