Pond Boss
Posted By: Bullhead Could I raise gsh in a stock tank - 05/22/09 08:51 PM
I have several stock tanks, galvanized, about eight foot in diameter and 30" deep. If I put and or gravel in the bottom, some structure, some pond water to get the phyto and zoo plankton going, could I raise golden shiners in them? I could provide a trickle of water circulation and or some other aeration.
Any advice?
I guess I should clarify, rather than putting fry in a tank to get them bigger, like in the post below, I was wondering if I can buy some "adults" at a bait shop and if they will reproduce.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Could I raise gsh in a stock tank - 05/22/09 11:57 PM
GSH is typically not gravel spawners but rather lay their eggs on vegetation. You can use any of a number of man made materials to simulate vegetation or put some actual vegetation in the tank. I think you will get GSH to spawn, how successful it will be is the question. The adults will be predacious on their own young. You will also have a large challenge trying to provide enough zooplankton to feed the young. You can finely grind up feed food but I would recommend you add infusoria to the tank. You're also going to need a better filtration system than just a simple water trickle.
© Pond Boss Forum