Pond Boss
Posted By: Theo Gallus SMB Spawning Bed Preparation - 05/24/07 03:51 PM
This thread links to multiple sources of good info:
Size of Beds for SMB

Will add more links as they are identified.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: SMB Spawning Bed Preparation - 08/11/07 07:13 PM
Via BCody - All these links do not work. See pictures below for nest building ideas. Try searching PondBoss forum smallmouth bass spawn nest

SMB Threads mentioned in Brettski\'s Fish Family Adoption Service discussion:

SMB in a Farm Pond

Getting ready to dig my first pond.

SMB/RES-plus Pond Concept
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: SMB Spawning Bed Preparation - 08/27/08 06:44 PM
My own attempts at preparing SMB spawning beds: This link is bad.
My Second Pond: Structure
Posted By: ewest Re: SMB Spawning Bed Preparation - 10/19/09 06:58 PM
Here are some pics from TJ(pre adding wood cover next to the beds).

Use of rubber feed tubs was recommended by Dave Willis in his experience with SMB reproduction in KS. Prevents rock from sinking into clay and also helps prevent siltation over time of rendering beds useless thrones of muck [that was my college band's name, btw]. Great idea by Dave - however, dimensions dictated by using tubs as foundation for beds are much smaller than recommended by Cody & West. Rolled the dice and thought siltation protection trumped recommended larger bed size as these tubs had already been used for spawning successfully by Dave in KS once upon a time. Silt kills eggs and buried rock EVERY time. What's a meister to do?

Smaller than recommended dimensions:

Vary your depths to help ensure a spawn:

Here's a bed created following Bill's published instructions via mag...now THIS looks promising!

Here are a couple more. The one with the SMB on the nest has a big wood structure just off camera ( a dock).

Attached picture Bacc 15  (158).jpg
Attached picture SMBnestadd.jpg
Posted By: ewest Re: SMB Spawning Bed Preparation - 01/23/10 03:04 PM
Keep in mind that both SMB and LMB (to a lesser degree) are thigmortophic for a reason.

The nest-building urge in males is thigmotrophic. Given a choice, they will build nests that are protected on one or more sides by "things" - logs, rocks, pilings, stumps, ledges, etc. This may provide partial protection from predators and egg robbers, or a break from wind or water current.
Posted By: ewest Re: SMB Spawning Bed Preparation - 02/27/13 07:43 PM
More TJ pics

This the condition of my SMB beds following two seasons of spawning - not good!

Here's the palleet elevated on blocks:

Mesh placed over the pallet upon which I'll place the spawning substrate:

Cinder block horseshoe and limestone bed implemented:

Here's the rock and PVS added to make it appear more "natural" and allow SMB fry some places to hide:

© Pond Boss Forum