Pond Boss
Posted By: outdoorstom Snow melt...first test of spillway - 01/11/08 02:26 AM
In a matter of 3 days, we lost almost every bit of snow we had. Makes me wish Spring was here!

Posted By: Brettski Re: Snow melt...first test of spillway - 01/11/08 03:12 AM
That second shot is one neat pic, ODT. I'm jealous. The spillway looks rock-lined. If yes, is there geotextile fabric underneath?
Posted By: outdoorstom Re: Snow melt...first test of spillway - 01/11/08 04:01 AM
Yes, Brettski....it's got the geotextile fabric. So far, so good. The formula used for the spillway size looks to be perfect.
Wow, looks like a post card. What kind of grass are you using that stayed green under the snow?

Am I seeing an air line fron the windmill?
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Snow melt...first test of spillway - 01/11/08 11:21 AM
It's amazing how quick it can all disappear. Snow, ice, footprints.

Are you anywhere near the Catskills? Are there any unexplained large anthropoid life forms in upstate NY?

Posted By: Brettski Re: Snow melt...first test of spillway - 01/11/08 11:36 AM
NO WAY. GET OUT!
Has ODT read Dwight's book on subtle brain-teasers or is this just another cover off of Child Highlights? (can you find 11 Sasquatches?)
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Snow melt...first test of spillway - 01/11/08 01:04 PM
Face it, B-ski, you missed it. That's what you get for wasting your time reading "The Timbertoes."
Posted By: outdoorstom Re: Snow melt...first test of spillway - 01/11/08 02:53 PM
Dave - it's weird how all the grass stayed green under the snow, not just around the pond. I was just talking about that with a neighbor yesterday. Yes, you're seeing an airline. I got the windmill from Beckermills, and couldn't be happier.

Theo - I'm 4 hours from the Catskills....beautiful area. I was very fortunate to get such a clear shot of Bigfoot. Unknown to many people, they are strong swimmers and truly enjoy swimming in ponds.

Here's a pre-windmill shot.

Posted By: Brettski Re: Snow melt...first test of spillway - 01/11/08 03:51 PM
What a great shot of Americana....the aerial, too.
Tell me about the sand beach, ODT. We did something similar, but already I question the wisdom due to the weed maint (on the dry side...haven't even gotten enough water to worry about the wet end)
Posted By: outdoorstom Re: Snow melt...first test of spillway - 01/11/08 04:14 PM
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
What a great shot of Americana....the aerial, too.
Tell me about the sand beach, ODT. We did something similar, but already I question the wisdom due to the weed maint (on the dry side...haven't even gotten enough water to worry about the wet end)

I had the contractor dig down a foot, then filled in the sand. Like you, I have a weed problem. I should have put fabric down first, we're constantly having to pull weeds. No problems yet with the sand in the water. The grandkids love it!

Ummm ....

Hopefully that pond is not stocked with anything that bites.

OUCH!
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Snow melt...first test of spillway - 01/12/08 04:22 PM

Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Snow melt...first test of spillway - 01/12/08 04:23 PM
Beautiful place Outdoor!
Posted By: outdoorstom Re: Snow melt...first test of spillway - 01/13/08 02:36 AM
Thanks Jeff. Nice pic above too....what is it??
Posted By: Brettski Re: Snow melt...first test of spillway - 01/13/08 04:02 AM
(c'mon JHAP...find the link)
Posted By: outdoorstom Re: Snow melt...first test of spillway - 01/13/08 01:59 PM
Never mind....I found it.
http://www.ghillie-suits.org/images/ghillie-suit.jpg
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Snow melt...first test of spillway - 01/13/08 05:52 PM
Well outdoor there's a little more to the story than that. Sometimes here at Pond Boss we get a little cabin fever and threads can take a turn for the worse. Other times we intentionally start a thread of humor that absolutely runs amuck. The Ghille Suit was one of those instances where it contained elements of both.

If the links work this will help expain:

My first Ghille Suit reference

The second part of the link I'll post below (for some reason I'm having problems with cutting and pasting the link.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Snow melt...first test of spillway - 01/13/08 05:59 PM
And hopefully this is the second part of the series that ties into the photo above.

Nope still didn't work, I appear to be having technical difficulties, stand by....
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Snow melt...first test of spillway - 01/13/08 06:02 PM
Ok, this seems to work, here is Bigfoot and the Ghillie Suit. This is why I made the post above. Anyhoo, it was funny in my brain.

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthread...=true#Post94321
Posted By: outdoorstom Re: Snow melt...first test of spillway - 01/13/08 10:17 PM
Thanks for the thread links....very humorous reading!
© Pond Boss Forum