Pond Boss
Posted By: Sgt911 Otter! - 01/10/08 01:34 PM
I spotted an Otter in my pond...How much fish will an Otter eat?..Advise on trapping?..I will try to snipe it, but it is very sneaky. Thanks
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Otter! - 01/10/08 01:51 PM
Sarge, it will eat all that it can catch and it can catch an awful lot.

You may have to devote some serious hunting time just like you were deer hunting.
Posted By: Matt Clark Re: Otter! - 01/10/08 02:35 PM
I don't envy you that, guy. I've got all kinds of wildlife around my place, and always happy to see more. The otters are the one critters that I'd just as soon not have show up. They're in the Iowa River, just a mile away, so I suppose it's only a matter of time.

Good Luck.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Otter! - 01/10/08 04:26 PM
I've got to make time to take out a muskrat, but at least he's not eating any fish.
Posted By: ewest Re: Otter! - 01/10/08 04:39 PM
Here - check out this prior otter thread. He really otter go as these did.

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=79910&fpart=1
Posted By: Matt Clark Re: Otter! - 01/10/08 06:57 PM
 Quote:
He really otter go as these did.

Jeezus...and I knew it was coming, somewhere. Just couldn't help but read it anyway...
Posted By: Sgt911 Re: Otter! - 01/20/08 05:55 PM
The trap has been set.
Posted By: george1 Re: Otter! - 01/20/08 07:23 PM
Last year I found two half eaten big CNBG on our ¼ acre pond, one on the bank and other a floater. I asked a question on the forum as to what might be the problem and the consensus was otter.

My son had seen what the thought was an otter but not confirmed.
They have Great Pyrenees livestock guard dogs for their Boer goat herd.
Brutus came in one evening bloody and clawed – we think he got into a fight with either a bobcat or otter.
No half eaten fish or otter seen since.

The guard dogs are something else – never lost a goat to predators.
Posted By: Bing Re: Otter! - 01/20/08 10:43 PM
I spotted an otter on the pond a few weeks back. I know he was there several days. At the time I didn't have suitable armament to deal with it, so I called a trapper friend of mine. He made it clear that it was illegal to intentionally kill otters in Illinois (unless you go through a laborious nuisance process). When a trapper accidentally kills one they must turn them in to the State. However he did volunteer to come over and see if I also had muskrats. The fact that he carries a sidearm when he traps helped.

When I checked in with him he indicated he did not see the otter, but did manage to trap six rats.

Funny thing, I haven't seen the otter since the trapper left.

That's his story and he's sticking to it.

Bing

PS: Wife bought me a .17 cal. rifle for a belated Christmas present. Sweet.

Posted By: outdoorsmanhc Re: Otter! - 01/22/08 02:53 AM
We had a family of otter move in our pond one winter. in the spring i found 75 bass sculls all in a pile. all looked like they were from 2-5lbs. it really screwed the pond up. get rid of them asap with any means possible.
Posted By: DAN PATERSON Re: Otter! - 01/22/08 03:00 AM
Ah, the good old 3 "S" rule.... Shoot, Shovel & Shut up.

Smart Trapper.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Otter! - 01/22/08 03:15 AM
Love that quote in the signature area, Dan!
Posted By: Joey Re: Otter! - 01/22/08 02:32 PM
a quick story. Last year a Otter decided to show up. At first I didnt know what was going on but I knew the fish were acting funny. Then strted seeing 6 pound catfish alive but with there tails chewed off. Then I saw him, a otter. I was so mad this moster was killing all my big cats and not even eating them, chewing there tails off and leaving them, then getting another one and doing the same thing. I found a few huge sunfish, same thing. Well I couldnt care less if there was a rule I needed it out and fast. Long story short he got the point and left my pond. Looking back things evened out because he targed the big cats which I reolized this year needed to go anyway so the otter actually did me a favor.
Posted By: Jim Hudson Re: Otter! - 01/22/08 03:15 PM
Victor conibear traps did it for me. Course by the time I knew the otters were there too many of my fish ended up as scales on the far bank.
Posted By: DAN PATERSON Re: Otter! - 01/23/08 02:51 AM
Actually Sunil, I got that off a bumper sticker so don't know who to give credit to. I have a 12 year old German Shorthair lying about 4" away from my feet as I type this and we have been been enjoying more frequent "useless" days lately.

We don't have Otters but lots of Muskrats to deal with every spring. She will go with me and lay in the shade while I take care of the problem.
Posted By: Chad Fikes Re: Otter! - 01/23/08 05:42 PM
One thing I tend to tell people a lot is that Otters are much better fisherman than we are and they are ferocius eaters. They like the kill just as much as they like the eating. I can't condone any killing of natural beutiful wildlife(wink, wink), but kill the thing it'll save you headaches in the long run.
Posted By: Sgt911 Re: Otter! - 01/24/08 04:25 AM
My Bass started dissappearing about 3yrs ago and I suspected poachers. I have stocked a ton of Bass,Catfish and some Crappie(bad idea)and after four years of this I still can fish for hours and not catch any Bass and have only caught one Crappie. This Otter{s} might explain it. Here in Texas, it is legal to take nuisance Otters by any means. I have a few traps out and patrol the pond with a 47. I am very pro wildlife but sorry, the Otter must go.
Posted By: Sgt911 Re: Otter! - 01/24/08 04:32 AM
My Bass started dissappearing about 3yrs ago and I suspected poachers. I have stocked a ton of Bass,Catfish and some Crappie(bad idea)and after four years of this I still can fish for hours and not catch any Bass and have only caught one Crappie. This Otter{s} might explain it. Here in Texas, it is legal to take nuisance Otters by any means. I have a few traps out and patrol the pond with a 47. I am very pro wildlife but sorry, the Otter must go. I have one conibear trap out and some snares
Posted By: overtonfisheries Re: Otter! - 01/24/08 04:56 PM
I know how you feel Sgt911. I have also had encounters and fish loss to otters. It is a good idea to learn what their tracks look like and to also learn other signs.

Posted By: Sgt911 Re: Otter! - 01/27/08 07:19 PM
Talley so far: 1 Opossum, 1 Racoon, 0 Otters....it is taunting me, it dragged one of my duck decoys onto the shore and played with it.
Posted By: BrianShpock Re: Otter! - 01/27/08 10:31 PM
Sgt911,
What type of traps are you using?
Posted By: Sgt911 Re: Otter! - 01/28/08 03:24 AM
1 conibear and a few loose footholds. A friend who is licensed as a trapper set them up.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Otter! - 01/28/08 12:27 PM
If the state where you live did not provide any fish for your pond(including wild-caught), and an otter is in there, I don't know of any state that prevents the removal of it by ANY means. You have the legal right, and are allowed, to protect your livestock. If caught you may need to prove you bought the stocked fish. If you can't prove the fish were bought then I'd stick with Dan's 3 S rule!
Posted By: Sgt911 Re: Otter! - 01/28/08 02:29 PM
NUISANCE FUR-BEARING
ANIMALS
Landowners or their agents may take nuisance furbearing
animals in any number by any means at
any time on that person’s land without the need for
a hunting or trapping license. However, fur-bearing
animals or their pelts taken for these purposes may
not be retained or possessed by anyone at any
time except licensed trappers during the lawful
open season and possession periods.
Nuisance fur-bearing animals may be captured
and relocated if the person has received authorization
from the department and the owner of the
property where the release will occur. A monthly
report is required and must be submitted to the
department on number and kind of fur-bearers
captured, location of release site, name and address
of person authorized to release.

Direct from TPWD and I have receipts for the fish.
Posted By: Sgt911 Re: Otter! - 02/13/08 03:39 AM
Here is the varmit! My white whale (otter)
notice the snare in the background.

Posted By: davatsa Re: Otter! - 02/13/08 03:47 AM
Grrrrr

Git 'em
Posted By: FattyMcButterpants Re: Otter! - 02/13/08 03:50 AM
die otter die!
Posted By: ewest Re: Otter! - 02/13/08 03:54 AM
Did he like the neck tie you left for him?
Posted By: Sgt911 Re: Otter! - 02/13/08 03:57 AM
It is still out there somewhere..It has avoided conibear traps,live traps, snares, foothold traps....And me!
Posted By: Kevin H. Re: Otter! - 02/13/08 04:14 AM
I wonder if Cecil has gotten that shotgun yet? You know the one.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Otter! - 02/13/08 04:36 AM
 Originally Posted By: 40 yr old virgin
I wonder if Cecil has gotten that shotgun yet? You know the one.

No but it would be the ticket for this otter wouldn't it? \:D

Hey Sarge... Sounds like you need to set up a blind with a night scope sniper rifle. I think it's time to get serious!
Posted By: FattyMcButterpants Re: Otter! - 02/13/08 07:00 PM
It's Killin' time!!
Posted By: Brettski Re: Otter! - 02/13/08 08:01 PM
"Great big globs of greasy, grimy Otter guts. How bout a nice cool drink varmint?.."

"License to kill otters, by the government of the United Nations...and that's all she wrote."
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Otter! - 02/13/08 08:40 PM
"Don't mind this - doctor's orders."
Posted By: Sgt911 Re: Otter! - 06/15/08 04:13 PM
He is still there...I found tracks today. I started noticing my Tilapia population was declining fast....This Otter has avoided traps and I still have never seen it, just tracks
© Pond Boss Forum