Pond Boss
Posted By: ewest What does a Northern pond look like underwater - 08/18/07 11:50 AM
If you were painting a pic , giving a description or making a display of a northern pond underwater (not winter) what would it look like (fish , plants , wood ,rocks ,and other creatures) ?
ewest,

Well, here is a scan of an old calendar I've saved. It typifies what I so fondly remember growing up amongst the lakes of Northern Wisconsin and Minnesota. Many of the lakes with northern pike and perch had these weeds -- whatever they may be.

Ken

ewest - You may get some ideas from these. I believe you have seen them before.
Bank Fish 3
Bank Fish 1
Dingbat Movie
Ewest,

This is a link to collegues that do taxidermy. You may find some examples on their website of northern pond habitat diaramas.

http://www.taxidermy.net/taxidermists/tlinks.html

Catman - I think that weed is what they call cabbage, although I'm not sure. So far I have never read of a species name for "cabbage". If that is cabbage then its common name is Large leaf pondweed aka bass weed, musky weed (Potamageton amplifolius). It is considered a premier aquaic plant for fish habitat. Stands of this plant are considered ecologically valuable habitat and it is used in restoration projects. It is often confused with other large leafed pond weeds such as Illinois pondweed and white stem pondweed.
When recreating habitats with taxidermy dioramas we usually use dried euculiptus plants to mimic these aquatic plants.
© Pond Boss Forum