Pond Boss
Posted By: Shorty Water Scorpions - 07/30/07 02:06 PM
I have seen a couple of "water scorpions" in the water along the edges of our pond this year, does anyone else have them or ever see them? or have oak trees near their pond? These large invertabrates are also known as "walking sticks." They are kind of neat looking bugs.

Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Water Scorpions - 07/30/07 05:32 PM
Nice photo.

I see these critters virtually every single time I run a seine. They're one of the few invertebrates big enough that they can't swim through.

Earlier this summer I could take a net and run it across the bottom of my pond virtually anywhere around the dock and come up with at least one of these.

They're kinda freaky looking.
Posted By: bobad Re: Water Scorpions - 07/30/07 06:38 PM
I have a few. They're cool looking creatures. Unfortunately, they're related to the giant water bug, and have a the same painful bite. Being thin and stiff-bodied, they are easy to handle without being bitten. I think they feed on small fish, frogs, and tadpoles.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Water Scorpions - 07/30/07 06:43 PM
Neat picture.

Never seen one before - didn't know stick insects went the Jacques Cousteau route.
Posted By: ewest Re: Water Scorpions - 07/30/07 06:52 PM
Yes - yes - and yes , but not as many as Bruce.
Posted By: robo2011 Re: Water Scorpions - 07/31/07 12:12 AM
Yes, I have them, first time I saw one I completely freaked out. I see them hiding in the vegetation from time to time.
© Pond Boss Forum