Pond Boss
Posted By: jims place Deck hand rail question - 07/10/07 01:19 PM
This was going to be the hand rails, 4x4 s with ¼” cable running from each post all the way around the deck.

I’m not liking the 4x4 s because they stick out like a sore thumb (ugly) , I need some fresh ideas for the hand rails.
Posted By: Ryan Freeze Re: Deck hand rail question - 07/10/07 02:30 PM
How about some 8" Angle iron with some nice plasma cut designs for the corners. They could be painted black to resemble wrought iron or any color to blend in and would give some strength for pulling tension in the cables. They would also serve a good place to mount a gate if needed. The lightest standard size I have listed in my book is 1/2" thick so it might be more economical to have some lighter plate broke at an angle.

So what's the slot for?
Posted By: rockytopper Re: Deck hand rail question - 07/10/07 02:43 PM
Jim personally I would have elected to weld hand rails and paint them black sense you all ready had a structural steel platform. It would look similar to the picture I posted as the truss design made from 14 gage tubing. If you still want the warf look you might consider rustic mountain cedar post striped of bark and polished or stained to match the deck.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Deck hand rail question - 07/11/07 02:44 AM
Jim, I thought I had a good suggestion until I read Ryan’s comment.

I will admit that I have never seen an 8” x 8” x 1/2” angle iron.
Posted By: eddie_walker Re: Deck hand rail question - 07/11/07 03:50 AM
I've bought some very fancy metal work from these guys.

http://www.kingmetals.com

They have some of the most amazing stuff for railings and gates, plus all sorts of cast, forged and aluminum that you could imagine.

Decide on a post, then create the railings. They even have Fish that you can weld onto the railings!!!

Eddie
Posted By: jims place Re: Deck hand rail question - 07/11/07 01:38 PM
Ok ….I’m with you guy’s, I found a guy that does custom metal work and he’s coming out Friday evening with his fishing pole to take a look see.

Ryan,
The slot is for a strip of Aqua Blue LED rope lights.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Deck hand rail question - 07/11/07 02:22 PM
"The slot is for a strip of Aqua Blue LED rope lights."

Jim, be careful with that. You may have some unexpected extraterrestrial visitors dropping by on your landing strip.
Posted By: Matt Clark Re: Deck hand rail question - 07/11/07 03:21 PM
 Quote:
How about some 8" Angle iron...
Wouldn't think it would have to be quite THAT heavy...perhaps 3x3, as even that would be much stronger than your anchoring system (lag screws or carriage bolts). I'd use this on corners, and maybe 2x2x1/4" angle for "ballisters" in between. If not that, if you install a top rail of flat, angle or tube stock, you could get away 2x2 all the way around.

Eye bold on one end, and a 1/4" turnbuckle on the other to snug the cables nicely...

Maybe something like this???

[img]http://render2.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6loG%7C%3Dup6RKKt%3AxxWtUq4P0-ofrj%3DQofrj7t%3DzrRfDUX%3AeQaQxg%3Dr%3F87KR6xqpxQQQnxGoJxo00xv8uOc5xQQQ0alolnan0eqpfVtB%3F*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6gXPeG%7CRup6aQQ%7C/of=50,346,442[/img]
Posted By: bobad Re: Deck hand rail question - 07/11/07 03:36 PM
Jim, how about clean, simple round tubing? The uprights need only be about 1.5" in diameter, and would look good leaning outward about a foot at the top. The uprights leaning outward would give a more open feeling. The top rail could be lightweight 2" tubing, smooth to the touch.

A smaller tubular railing could be added about half way up for the little ones, if necessary.
Posted By: jims place Re: Deck hand rail question - 07/11/07 03:44 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by Sunil:
"The slot is for a strip of Aqua Blue LED rope lights."

Jim, be careful with that. You may have some unexpected extraterrestrial visitors dropping by on your landing strip.
Sunil,
Were hoping that’s going to happen….and this guy (my brother-in-law) will greet them at the end of the deck.
:p

Once we establish a line of communication, we plan on hitching a ride to your place and sucking up all your LMB and dropping them off in my pond. \:D
Posted By: Sunil Re: Deck hand rail question - 07/11/07 05:03 PM
"….and this guy (my brother-in-law) will greet them at the end of the deck."

Jim, I'm sure I don't need to tell you that a scared alien can be very dangerous.
Posted By: Ryan Freeze Re: Deck hand rail question - 07/12/07 05:01 PM
A properly built cable truss could eliminate the need for the extra supports under the cantilevered section and serve as a railing as well. I've installed a fair number of truss kits on pipes and it's amazing how much a little cable can stiffen up a flimsey piece of 6" mill pipe.

Here's a rough sketch of what I'm talking about

Posted By: eddie_walker Re: Deck hand rail question - 07/13/07 01:22 PM
Jim,

Whatever you decide, remmember that you will have to look at it for the rest of your life. Make it something amazing, and you will always be happy with it. Cut a few corners and you will always regret it.

Eddie
Posted By: eddie_walker Re: Deck hand rail question - 05/04/08 03:25 PM
Jim,

What did you decide? Did I miss it somewhere? I'm dying to see the finished pictures.

Eddie
© Pond Boss Forum