Pond Boss
Posted By: UGA Pond Restoration help!!! - 05/01/07 12:50 AM
I will post some pictures in a bit but here is/are the problem(s).

1) Nearby construction(several years ago0 filled
silt into the pond.
2) Drain pipe(up-spout) broke off and is now
clogged.
3) Aquadic plants and what I think is mill weed
has taken over.
4) Fish have obviously disappeared.

There are the problems so tell me what I need to do, Here was my plan. Syphien(sp) pond down with 4 inch pvc to get to the drain pipe. Hopefully pipe through damn is low enough to get most of the water out when up-spout is cut off. Let dry and bring in a backhoe to deepen and clear silt. Poisen and remove what is left and then stock bream late summer early fall. LMB stocked next spring. Pond gets a lot of shade is feed by a creek and is about 3/4 -1 acre. Any suggestions guys???
Posted By: UGA Re: Pond Restoration help!!! - 05/01/07 03:04 AM
Front view
[/IMG]

I think this is millweed
[/IMG]

Side view
[/IMG]

Where creek enters
[/IMG]
Posted By: big_pond Re: Pond Restoration help!!! - 05/01/07 03:21 AM
You say water source is from a creek. But I am here to tell you, from the pictures the pond looks down at least a foot! If you plan to drain the lake, (bening that it is already down) don't expect it to fill for maybe 5 years or so...This drought we are having is SO SERVERE and there is no end in sight. Be carfull about draining it...
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Pond Restoration help!!! - 05/01/07 03:42 AM
Does it have a dam, or is it excavated on flat terrain? If no water shed, you may have to save the water as BP said. If you think it will refill, it needs to be drained and cleaned out. The silt is very fertile and is feeding the junk. After cleaning out, spread hydrated lime, which will kill the latent spores, seeds etc. After 2 wks. the pond bottom will return to normal ph range.
Posted By: UGA Re: Pond Restoration help!!! - 05/01/07 03:50 AM
Sorry big-pond I should have stated I am located in georgia and the reason it is low is because the up-spout broke.

Burgermeister yes it has a dam. It is not pictured but if it were it would be to the left of the 1st picture. Where do you get the hydrated lime?
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Pond Restoration help!!! - 05/01/07 04:12 AM
Get hydrated lime from Lowes or Home Depot. Be careful using it, as it is highly alkaline. Use a mask and gloves. It will be where the sand, concrete etc. is.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Pond Restoration help!!! - 05/01/07 10:39 AM
Some of that stuff looks like duckweed. If so, it is pretty mean stuff to get rid of and I prefer to nuke it. Draining doesn't do much cause it can do just fine in mud.

Also, while I had the hoe working, I might do something about what looks like a willow in the third picture. Or maybe cut and poison it. Those things are trash trees and suck a lot of water.
Posted By: Frank Re: Pond Restoration help!!! - 05/01/07 02:29 PM
UGA

Welcome to Pond Boss.

Where in GA are you? My pond is near Milledgeville. If you are close maybe we can get together.

Several years ago I did work on my pond much as you are planning. My old drain was clogged up so I installed a syphon drain system. See http://www.ponddampiping.com/syphon1.html

Have you selected a contractor?

Good luck. Let me know if you wanna talk more about your project.

Frank
Posted By: UGA Re: Pond Restoration help!!! - 05/01/07 02:59 PM
Dave when you say nuke it what are you talking about using. Yes there are a lot of willows are the pond.

Thanks frank that syphon looks perfect. I really wasnt planning on contracting anything out. I figured I could do it myself(at least I hope. I am located in Villa Rica about 45 min w of atl.

Thanks guys

I will be back with some more questions
Posted By: big_pond Re: Pond Restoration help!!! - 05/01/07 04:42 PM
I am in Oglethorpe county whereare you?
Posted By: UGA Re: Pond Restoration help!!! - 05/01/07 04:59 PM
Carroll County (villa rica)
Posted By: UGA Re: Pond Restoration help!!! - 05/01/07 05:08 PM
How about carp will they eat that stuff?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Pond Restoration help!!! - 05/03/07 02:11 AM
I don't what kind of chemical to use and I've never heard of carp eating it. Look in the Directory and find Kelly Duffie of Estes Chemical. E-mail him. He once posted a picture of himself spraying a pond that looked a lot worse than yours. When I have chemical questions I always contact Kelly and buy from Estes.

I think I would rather have poison ivy than a willow tree. They spread from the root and suck a lot of water.
© Pond Boss Forum