Pond Boss
Posted By: Nuradda Florida bass - 03/17/07 05:50 PM
Hello, my names is Paul, I live in Sardinia (Italy) and I have a problem. I would want to acquire some fingerlings of Florida bass, but not where to buy them. You know someone that sends them in Italy?
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Florida bass - 03/17/07 06:07 PM
Welcome from a fellow Italian (American)!

Have you checked Italian regulations for importing this species of fish?

If you are certain it is legal, you would have to get the very smallest size fish possible to facilitate transport.

I would recommend that you research how long the shipping time would be so that we can see if the fish would survive the long trip.

Ciao,

Bruce Condello
Posted By: bureau creek master Re: Florida bass - 03/17/07 10:08 PM
hi from also another italian (american) sardinia would be a great place for the florida strain as it has the same type climate except i believe it is slightly drier in sardina. but to ur question would agree with Mr. condello check the trip leangth and regulations. here is an email for suttle fish farm in MS. sales@suttlefish.com
they may be able to instruct u furthur on prices and how possible it is to achieve this. well good luck. my grandpa is from campabasso up near naples and rome the breadbasket of italy.
Posted By: Nuradda Re: Florida bass - 03/18/07 08:07 AM
Tank you so much my italian friends, I chek italian regulation and In Italy, in order to import species averse, a sanitary certification is necessary that it declares the health of the fish. The certification must be produced from the breeder, but i dont know the course to obtain it. I have already asked suttle fish, if they could send the fingerlings to me, but they have answered me not.......
I think that the shipping time is about 3 days long
This is a sardinian's bass

Excuse me, but my English is bad
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Florida bass - 03/18/07 08:15 AM
Nurrada,

Good advice to you so far. Especially about the legalities. (Guys it is possible they have largemouth in Italy already as I know they do in other parts of Europe). (Note: I said this before Nurrada posted his fish pic)

Here's another possibility: Order this Suppliers guide from Aquaculture Magazine that lists suppliers from all over the world. You may even find a European supplier of largemouth bass.

(There is a listing online but it doesn't seem to include European suppliers)

http://www.aquaculturemag.com/siteenglish/printed/buyers/buyersguide2.html

BTW your English is fine. Better then my Italian, and Italian women are hot (very attractive)! \:D
Posted By: Greg Maranto Re: Florida bass - 03/18/07 08:54 AM
Nuradda,

Welcome to Pond Boss from another Italian-American. I have relatives in Chefalu and Palermo.

Where did you catch the fish that you are holding in the photograph?

Ok Pond Boss Members: Does he want pure Floridas or F1s? We have had very good experience with F1s.
Posted By: Nuradda Re: Florida bass - 03/18/07 09:00 AM
I catch the fish in a private pond in my town, Nurallao, center Sardinia, (Nuradda in sardinian's language means Nurallao). I want pure Floridas, if it is possible
Posted By: TOM G Re: Florida bass - 03/18/07 11:35 AM
Welcome Paul
Your english is fine,and you speak fish even better...nice pic.Everyone here speaks good fish \:D
Posted By: ewest Re: Florida bass - 03/18/07 04:47 PM
There are special regulations about the international transport of fish. The hatcheries have to be inspected and approved under an international protocol. I know that several of the big hatcheries in Arkansas ship lots of fish overseas.

Also AFS (American Fisheries Society) has an international section which may have info.
Posted By: Nuradda Re: Florida bass - 03/18/07 05:13 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by ewest:
There are special regulations about the international transport of fish. The hatcheries have to be inspected and approved under an international protocol. I know that several of the big hatcheries in Arkansas ship lots of fish overseas.

Also AFS (American Fisheries Society) has an international section which may have info.
Ewest, if you can post some links of this Arkansas hatcheries, is a great help form me \:\) .
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Florida bass - 03/18/07 08:08 PM
Come sei bella, persico trota!
Posted By: Brettski Re: Florida bass - 03/18/07 08:37 PM
Buon giorno Nuradda.
Avete un'immagine dello stagno?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Florida bass - 03/18/07 08:37 PM
Not only is Nuradda's English good he has figured out how to post pics here vs. some of our English members that are still scratching their heads! \:D

Nuradda how many kg's was that bass and do you have a length? \:\)
Posted By: Eastland Re: Florida bass - 03/18/07 09:08 PM
Nuradda, smile the next time you get a picture like that ! (You look way too serious, catching big ones should be fun !) I have a question for you...why do you want pure Florida strain bass ? Read the posts here, the guys who have stocked them have generally been disappointed. Look around this site, the F1 bass is more aggressive.

Cecil, you crack me up...Italian women, that's all I want to know about your personal life \:D
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Florida bass - 03/18/07 09:49 PM
Italians coming outta the woodwork, now.(Paolo, this means everyone is claiming Italian ancestry after your post). \:\) Bruce, I woulda sworn that a few weeks ago you were Portugese, what say, Theo? :p
Posted By: Eastland Re: Florida bass - 03/18/07 10:00 PM
Sorry Burger..., no comprendo "Paolo", nothing but German engineering here \:\) Just trying to help...but I do like Cecil's reasoning \:D

p.s. I could be Italian if you let me fish your pond \:\)
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Florida bass - 03/18/07 10:20 PM
Hey, Burger! I'm Italian, but when I'm in front of a group of people I speak Portuguese.

...or at least it sounds like it.

I found Paolo on an Italian Bass fishing forum, and I think he's probably comfortable with his decision to get Florida strain. My guess is that he has plenty of places to catch the "other" type. \:\)

Paolo,

What is the average low temperature during your coolest months? Have other bass enthusiasts near you experimented with Florida strain? If so, what type of results did they have?

Many of us would be happy to translate previous posts on this forum regarding Florida strain largemouth.

The two major complaints are..

1. Can't tolerate cool water very well.

2. More difficult to catch than other largemouth strains, as noted earlier.

Are they going in your own private pond? Are there currently largemouth in the pond already?
Posted By: Eastland Re: Florida bass - 03/18/07 11:19 PM
I guess you just flew past my point \:\) Aside from Cecil's Italian women !

The world's record bass caught on the Florida/Georgia border weighed 22 pounds. But it wasn't a Florida bass -- it was a cross between the Florida largemouth and the northern strain of bass.

I'm most likely going to get my butt kicked over this...but haven't we determined the F1 to be the optimal LMB ?
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Florida bass - 03/18/07 11:27 PM
I'd answer that question, but I'm better at speaking Italian than I am discussing largemouth bass. ;\)

Just to show how little I know, I had never heard about the world record being an F1. How did they figure that out?
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Florida bass - 03/19/07 12:41 AM
Just jerking your chain, Doc. Hey, I was Irush, Iresh, Orish, oh whatever...yesterday.
Wasn't that Georgia bass caught like in the 40's? Didnt know they had them classified Fla, northern, F-1, then, Eastland? Where can I read about it? I wonder if the BG from Lake Ketona in Birmingham was an early Condello strain?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Florida bass - 03/19/07 12:50 AM
Personally I can't believe the Georgia world record still stands. Why? No picture! The fish was eaten!
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Florida bass - 03/19/07 12:57 AM
That bass was caught 75 years ago. I don't think anyone had heard of F-1 or anything like that back then. It was caught in a small farm pond. I wouldn't think that it was too tasty.
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Florida bass - 03/19/07 01:20 AM
http://www.mrlurebox.com/GeorgePerryBass.htm

link to wr bass photo and story.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Florida bass - 03/19/07 01:30 AM
Thanks for the photo, burger! I didn't know there was an an actual picture.

Posted By: burgermeister Re: Florida bass - 03/19/07 01:35 AM
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Condello:
Thanks for the photo, burger! I didn't know there was an an actual picture.

Hard for people now days to relate. Yes, it was a big fish, but in depression era rural Georgia it was also food for a family of 4 for a week.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Florida bass - 03/19/07 01:45 AM
What would you do if you caught that one, Paolo?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Florida bass - 03/19/07 01:53 AM
Well blow me down! I wasn't aware anyone had found a picture!
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Florida bass - 03/19/07 01:57 AM

Do these farm ponds look familiar? I "Googled" that area of Italy and found an area that looks just like Nebraska, U.S.A.!
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Florida bass - 03/19/07 10:36 AM
Hey guys,
I happened to get my hands on the last taped interview with George Perry, a few months before he was killed in a plane crash. Fascinating interview with a BassMaster Magazine reporter. Get Ray Scott to tell you the story at the conference. It is amazing.
That huge fish was caught in a small public lake. George Perry was poor, and wasn't even planning to fish that day, but he was rained out of his farming job in the field that day. He and a buddy went fishing for food. They needed food for the family and Perry was only about 19 years old as I remember the story.
He had one lure...that's it, one. Caught the fish, didn't care that it was huge except for the fact it would feed his family nicely.
His buddy suggested it might be a "world record" and that Field and Stream magazine was offering prizes. So, if they weighed the fish on certified scales, he could enter the contest. They went to a local meat market, weighed the fish on certified meat scales, had a local witness sign off with them, and entered the contest. He won.
But, the fish was already eaten. Speculation is that it was a pure strain Florida bass, since it was caught in Georgia.
I'll see if I can find the cd with his last interview, in the 1970's, I think. It was a fascinating interview.
Regarding Florida bass in Italy, Ray Scott's right hand man, Jim Kientz, stocked some pure strain Florida bass in Italy in the late 70's early 80's, as I recall. Flew them from a hatchery in Florida. Jim can tell the story. He, too, will be at the conference. Jim was a colonel in the Air Force and those ties helped him get the fish overseas. He can tell you guys the story at the conference.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Florida bass - 03/19/07 10:50 AM
Guys,

After reading the link I am disappointed (not necessarily skeptical) that the guy in the picture is NOT Perry. I can't believe there isn't a pic of Perry holding the fish as according to the link one existed.

What still amazes me though is world records have been disqualified with more documentation than this one.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Florida bass - 03/19/07 10:51 AM
 Quote:
Originally posted by Cecil Baird1:
Guys,

After reading the link I am disappointed (not necessarily skeptical) that the guy in the picture is NOT Perry. I can't believe there isn't a pic of Perry holding the fish as according to the link one existed.

What still amazes me though is world records have been disqualified with more documentation than this one.
I predict this record will be eclipsed by a California bass at any time. After all one was foul hooked and released of 25 lbs. recently.
Posted By: Nuradda Re: Florida bass - 03/19/07 02:37 PM
Cecil said: "Nuradda how many kg's was that bass and do you have a length?"
I dont know the bass weigth, we do onli catch and release, but he was length about 53 cm.
Estalnd said: "why do you want pure Florida strain bass ?"
I want pure floridas in order to reproduce them with the northerns that are here. I would stock Floridas in a very small repaired pond, into a greenhouse. In that way I can obtein more f1.......
Bruce said: "What is the average low temperature during your coolest months?"
In my town the average low temperature during our coolest months is about 5-6° celsius, with some peaks of -2/-3°.
"Have other bass enthusiasts near you experimented with Florida strain?"
No, i think that in europe there are only northerns, i dont know anithing about what Bob lusk said: "Jim Kientz, stocked some pure strain Florida bass in Italy in the late 70's early 80's,".
"Are they going in your own private pond? Are there currently largemouth in the pond already?"
Yes they are. In sardinia, largemouth bass are everiwhere, in Italy is the same
"What would you do if you caught that one, Paolo?"
I dont know, it would be like passing one night with Pamela Anderson \:D
i caught the bass here

Another picture, here i was smiling.........
mi little brother, Bruno

I dont have in this moment picture of the pond........
I want floridas, help me please.....
Ciao a tutti amici miei \:\)
Mi english is very bad.....three hours for one answer
© Pond Boss Forum