Pond Boss
Posted By: Bing A mouse in the house - 11/29/06 04:17 AM
Another not exactly pond related question, but since many of us have storage buildings on our pond property I thought this would be a good place to ask this question. I have a couple of pole barns that have become havens for mice over the winter. I've had added, DeCon, traps, moth balls, dryer sheets, etc. but still have mice. I am thinking about adding some of the electronic "ultrasound" devices I see advertised. Does anyone have experience into whether they work or not. Or do you have any method you of getting rid of these rodents.

Bing
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: A mouse in the house - 11/29/06 04:39 AM
I use a glue trap with a single Aquamax pellet in the middle. Gits'em every time.
Posted By: Rad Re: A mouse in the house - 11/29/06 09:03 AM
I agree with Bruce, those sticky traps are very effective. I tried the ultrasonics but my mice must have marched to the beat of a different drum. I have not added pellets, but I will.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: A mouse in the house - 11/29/06 11:28 AM

Posted By: Brettski Re: A mouse in the house - 11/29/06 11:29 AM
mouse thread
Posted By: Cary Martin Re: A mouse in the house - 11/29/06 12:11 PM
Theo, new species of "Cat Fish"?
Posted By: eddie_walker Re: A mouse in the house - 11/29/06 01:50 PM
I've had great resulsts with the green poison stuff they sell at tractor supply. I failed with other brands, but this stuff was eaten up real quick and then nothing. I found one dead mouse in an outside storage area, but know i had a dozen or more. It was pretty bad. The remaing pieces of poison are still sitting there and it's been almost six months without any moust sitings or turds.

Quick, simple and effective!!!

Eddie
Posted By: Sunil Re: A mouse in the house - 11/29/06 03:19 PM
What's that cat's name?? Indira or something like that? Isn't that cat the famous Bollywood actress? I seem to recall a red dot on her forehead.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: A mouse in the house - 11/29/06 03:43 PM
\:D \:D \:D

For $20 I can get you an autographed photo, Sunil.

Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: A mouse in the house - 11/29/06 04:03 PM
complete w/ nose ring....nice touch \:D \:D

i was in a grumpy mood this morning til read this thread....funny stuff.

regular traps w/ peanut butter in garage, a minituare lion for outside (at least he thinks he is), and a useless bag of furry flesh that lies around all day for inside (i.e. my wife's cat).......but never have mice inside, and only occassionally in garage or sheds...
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: A mouse in the house - 11/29/06 06:26 PM
Just got back from the farm and checked the glue traps. Got three more to bring the fall total to thirteen mice.
Posted By: Brettski Re: A mouse in the house - 11/29/06 07:44 PM
...so, when you guys went to Bruce's farm when he hosted the PB mini meeting this past Spring, did ya'll partake of the Condello BBQ?

Posted By: Edward P. Eitel Re: A mouse in the house - 11/29/06 08:30 PM
Brettski,

That’s either a large (pen raised) gopher, or a small prairie dog? Both delicious! :p
Posted By: Sunil Re: A mouse in the house - 11/29/06 09:37 PM
Or it's a badly deformed Baby Ruth candy bar.
Posted By: Shorty Re: A mouse in the house - 11/29/06 10:14 PM
Edward wrote:
 Quote:
Brettski,

That’s either a large (pen raised) gopher, or a small prairie dog? Both delicious! :p
Sunil wrote:
 Quote:
Or it's a badly deformed Baby Ruth candy bar.
Either way, I bet any rodent on a stick still tastes just like chicken. :p
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: A mouse in the house - 11/29/06 10:29 PM
Bruce didn't even BBQ that himself - it's takeout from Rat in the Box.
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: A mouse in the house - 11/29/06 11:24 PM
shorty and theo..... \:D \:D thanks for helping keep my morale up today.

is it just me or has anyone else noted sunil's obssession w/ baby ruth bars? perhaps it was that rohrschack (sp?) test he was forced to take as a child?
Posted By: burgermeister Re: A mouse in the house - 11/30/06 12:37 AM
What a demented group.
Posted By: Sunil Re: A mouse in the house - 11/30/06 12:38 AM
DIED, the Baby Ruth thing was from Caddy Shack, I thought??
Posted By: Brettski Re: A mouse in the house - 11/30/06 12:52 AM
DOOTIE!
Posted By: ewest Re: A mouse in the house - 11/30/06 01:27 AM
Could that be a can of Alpo that someone threw out back in the 3 degree chill factor and later stuck a stick in it to see if it was alive.
Posted By: Dwight Re: A mouse in the house - 11/30/06 02:30 AM
I always try to restore a thread back to the original topic ;\) \:D

Russ - Credit for the new terminology: “fur head wheel chock” FHWC

I have learned after 30 odd years on our acreage that a few FHWCs lurking around the outside of your buildings will keep the rodents at bay. Fear of being swallowed whole, head first seems to be highly effective deterrent.

Posted By: ewest Re: A mouse in the house - 11/30/06 02:42 AM
Now I have figured out the relationship between Theo and Dwight. Dwight's FHWC and Theo's famous Bollywood actress are calico sisters. \:D
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: A mouse in the house - 11/30/06 11:27 AM
 Quote:
Originally posted by Dwight:
Fear of being swallowed whole, head first seems to be highly effective deterrent.
Actually being swallowed whole, head first is even more effective. \:D
Posted By: Dwight Re: A mouse in the house - 11/30/06 04:45 PM
Ewest – It is more than the Calico Sisters! Theo seems to be tilted slightly into the edge of the fourth dimension. Since I have seen him there, I may be too. There are others out there lurking about, and you know who you are! ;\)
Posted By: Dwight Re: A mouse in the house - 11/30/06 04:47 PM
Theo Gallus - That is a fact! We have 5 outside Mousers. The two Calicos are by far the most prolific hunters. I have seen Big Head Sally dragging a full grown cotton tail (that would be a rabbit) across the yard for family luncheon.

I wonder why being Calico would make them more aggressive and adept hunters?
Posted By: ewest Re: A mouse in the house - 11/30/06 05:07 PM
Among cats females are often the best hunters (lions for example)and IIRC all three color house type cats (calicos)are female.
Posted By: Dwight Re: A mouse in the house - 11/30/06 07:05 PM
ewest - Does it then follow that a calico male would be lazy and a lousy hunter, but worth millions?
Posted By: ewest Re: A mouse in the house - 11/30/06 07:21 PM
Could be. Such an animal would be an unknown genetic anomaly . IIRC it is a heritable result. \:D

Please don't go to the zoo and get in the male lions cage to try and prove he is lazy and a lousy hunter. :p
Posted By: Dwight Re: A mouse in the house - 11/30/06 07:48 PM
ewest - I like a good anomaly. More research and experimentation to do this winter! ;\)
© Pond Boss Forum