Pond Boss
Posted By: wickedinhere Got Rain? - 10/16/06 01:50 AM
Its been raining all day here we have gotten an inch so far today were suppose to get a few more inches tonight
and there saying around 3 inches tomorrow. If it keeps this up i am gonna have a full pond! How much rain have you texas boys seen?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Got Rain? - 10/16/06 02:12 AM
I've seen about 1/2 inch here in the metroplex with rain forecast off and on through tomorrow afternoon. I don't know how much I've gotten on my land 70 miles NNW of the D/FW metroplex. However, ypu can bet I'll call as soon as it is all over.
Posted By: new_water_ways Re: Got Rain? - 10/16/06 02:13 AM
I don't know about Texas, but here in Mo. it started raining here late this evening. Got 1/8th so far. Its supposed to keep raining thru Tuesday. Fingers crossed here.
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Got Rain? - 10/16/06 03:11 AM
4 inches here at NASA area. It all went right into the Gulf. \:\(
Posted By: wickedinhere Re: Got Rain? - 10/16/06 05:21 AM
I was just woke up by a big crashing sound, i forgot to put my umbrella down on my table in the front of my house and it went through my front glass door. I thought someone was breaking in my house. The winds are gusting to 45 mph.
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: Got Rain? - 10/16/06 12:37 PM
We've had just over 3.5 inches at the ranch so far...but looks like we just caught the start of a "train" of rain according to the radar so could easily get a lot more inches this morning. Wonderful rain!
Posted By: Sue Cruz Re: Got Rain? - 10/16/06 12:59 PM
Heybud - How's Zephyr Pond making out??
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: Got Rain? - 10/16/06 01:09 PM
I doubt Heybud is getting as much of this great stuff as we are catching in East Texas. I'm now at 5 plus inches and the "train" is really running...about 2 inches an hour now.

Gator, Eddie, BarO, LoopTech, etc. should be seeing a lot of this later on this morning. Great stuff. Wicked must be looking at a flood and a full or filling pond!
Posted By: george Re: Got Rain? - 10/16/06 01:13 PM
3.8 inches in my rain gauge in Plano – 3 inches in our ponds in Delta County.
Haven’t seen rain like this in years and more on the way... \:\) \:\) \:\)

Fatty McB – ‘ya done good... \:D
Posted By: bobad Re: Got Rain? - 10/16/06 02:04 PM
It's raining too hard to see the rain gage from my patio door, and I'm not about to go out in it! It's really gnasty here. Tornado watches and dark as night. Radar shows plenty more coming up from the gulf.

I hope everyone gets a brimming full pond. I'm backward as usual. I'll be pumping perfectly good water out of my pond and wasting it.
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Got Rain? - 10/16/06 02:38 PM
congrats on the needed liquid sunshine for all who got it. DD..hope you have a good report.
Posted By: wickedinhere Re: Got Rain? - 10/16/06 02:45 PM
I am right at about 2 inches since yesterday havent seen any real heavy rains just steady rain. My pond
is looking pretty good.
Posted By: Robinson Re: Got Rain? - 10/16/06 02:49 PM
Some answered prayers for sure. Ya'll have had it rough in Texas. I hope this is the beginning of a good run of water, and hopefully El Nino will add much much more to your water table, over the next few months.

I'm fixing my pond right now, at least hopefully, and the earth mover said he had a spring that he had never seen go dry, go dry, on his farm.
Posted By: new_water_ways Re: Got Rain? - 10/16/06 03:27 PM
Well, Will Mackerels never sneeze!

Err, uh, is that Miracles never cease?

We have 2 inches in the rain gage this morning, Woo Hoo!!!! I think more is on the way if not today they say Wednesday. Y'all in Texas keep up the rain dance, its finally workin'!!! \:D \:D :p
Posted By: bz Re: Got Rain? - 10/16/06 04:19 PM
I'm glad for all of you getting rain who needed it. It really takes a load off your mind doesn't it?
Posted By: new_water_ways Re: Got Rain? - 10/16/06 04:29 PM
bz,
I know for me it helps alot to see some rain, however I also know that this is just a drop in the buckett or pond, I as well as many others in here would have to have 10-20 inches of rain to really make a diference.

But its a start.
Posted By: bz Re: Got Rain? - 10/16/06 04:52 PM
Well then let's pray for 20 inches! Thankfully my pond level was only about a foot down because of the drought. But a foot low is a lot when the average is only about 6 feet and in this cold part of the country where I might have 3 feet of ice this winter. We had enough rain to bring my level up to normal for this time of year. Now I just have to hope and pray for a mild winter so I don't get 3 feet of ice. My pond had ice on it for the fist time this year a couple of days ago.
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: Got Rain? - 10/16/06 05:31 PM
9.5 inches now and more on the way. Looks like this will be our annual 100 year rainfall event. It's going to surpass Rita's 10 inches last year.

During a momentary lull, went to check things out. Some amazing sights:

1) a herd of deer flushed out of the bottoms by water and reluctant to leave the pond dam even in my presence.

2) a FH minnow slaughter of epic proportions. During the summer, I stocked a couple of pounds of FHs in a small area isolated by low water from the main body of the pond. Those FH's were washed into the main pond and are now being abused by LMB and HSB...what a sight!

3) a no longer future pond site was completely covered by several feet of water....proving once again, you can throw out the watershed tables in East Texas and you better have good natural spillways in every pond built around here or pay the price.

The H59 corridor through East Texas has to be one of the very best locations in this great Country for ponds....please excuse my exuberance. I hope many of you also benefited from this wonderful rain event or will very soon.
Posted By: BarO Re: Got Rain? - 10/16/06 08:47 PM
Wow ML,
Mucho Raino!
We got .90" yesterday and last night. Sun is starting to shine now with 1.2" more since 7AM. It looks like 2" for this front in last 2 days. It added about 6" to the pond. Send some of the extra up north, ML.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Got Rain? - 10/16/06 11:07 PM
Wound up with 2 inches in Hurst and 3 inches in the country. It all fell slowly so not much runoff.
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: Got Rain? - 10/16/06 11:23 PM
BarO,

Current radar looks like most of the remaining rain is headed toward Cajun Country...but the forcast is for more in East Texas on Thursday. I'd be most happy for FattyMB to direct his rain dance Northward. \:\)

Total rainfall at the ranch now sets at 11.5 inches for this event, most of which came today. Earlier in the afternoon, I estimated we had 40 acres under water and that's a conservative estimate...build your house on a hill in East Texas, build your ponds with large natural spillways, and always, always park your equipment on high ground.
Posted By: LoopTech Re: Got Rain? - 10/17/06 11:18 AM
Muched needed 2.10 in at my place..I had just(Friday) planted 15 acres of a wheat,rye,oats and crimson clover mix..This rain fell over a 24 hour period and there was very little run-off
Posted By: rockytopper Re: Got Rain? - 10/17/06 12:34 PM
ML did your ponds fill up? \:\) We have gotten two 2 inch rains the past two weekends. Our front pond on the home place is now only about a foot below spillway, The new pond has caught about 7 ft of water and still has about 7 feet to go. I hope retired life is treating you well. If you get bored I still have all that dirt to move.
Posted By: bobad Re: Got Rain? - 10/17/06 12:51 PM
I got 7" in the past 36 hours. My poor old trash pump is in for a serious workout.
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: Got Rain? - 10/17/06 01:29 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by rockytopper:
ML did your ponds fill up? \:\) ... I hope retired life is treating you well. If you get bored I still have all that dirt to move.
RT,

Brim full. Every chance I got I checked the spillways during this event. On a couple of ponds, water was pouring about a foot deep from both spillways...that's a lot of water.

No problem with boredom...yet. I'm doing some "telecomuting" consultation for a company and don't have to leave the Ranch. It's great.

I've got several Ranch projects in work but really want to get to building a garage/apartment soon and look forward to talking to you about that.

Sounds like you have done an excellent job of catching water for your ponds. Hopefully you will be brim full soon!
Posted By: new_water_ways Re: Got Rain? - 10/17/06 02:47 PM
Well we ended up with 2 3/4 inches total. Put about 6 inches in the pond, boy we needed it too the pond was about to split in two. We have a high spot in the middle and it has been 2 ponds (puddles) before. Now maybe if we get some more rain soon we will have a full pond.
Posted By: Alligator Re: Got Rain? - 10/17/06 03:47 PM
We got 1.5" in Anderson County - much needed. There wasnt any runoff, but with more rain forecasted, things are looking up! I have a l-o-n-g ways to go before the pond will fill. The Dallas Morning News is reporting that we need 12+ inches to get back on track around here.

Gator
Posted By: george Re: Got Rain? - 10/18/06 10:45 AM
4+ inches rain in N.E. Texas - 6 inch rise in the ponds and proud of every inch - it will take us through the winter if drought continues.

Dirt got most of it, but needed....
Ground saturatd so should get good run-off next rain...
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Got Rain? - 10/18/06 06:04 PM
got 5 inches at the pond in SW Miss. Mon. night. Good watershed, so it filled more than 1/2 way. probably too late for the pond though, unless the seepage slowed and there was a few inches of water left. Birds and coons probably had a field day.
Posted By: ewest Re: Got Rain? - 10/18/06 09:54 PM
BM if you had even a few inches of water you probably have some survivors. Glad to hear you got some rain.
Posted By: bobad Re: Got Rain? - 10/19/06 02:21 PM
WIH, Got another inch yeaterday, and 4" more today. That's a total of 11" in 4 days. What did you get around Sulphur? I bet your pond is full now!
Posted By: wickedinhere Re: Got Rain? - 10/19/06 06:14 PM
Yall must be doin rain dances over in eunice to get all that rain. I only got 1.25 since yesterday and its all cleared out till the next front. My pond still needs a little more to be full.
Posted By: Jake B Re: Got Rain? - 10/19/06 09:01 PM
Here in East TX (Huntsville) we received 11 inches. My 7 acre pond is full and water is flowing through the siphon tube. Amazing, utterly amazing!!
Posted By: Jake B Re: Got Rain? - 10/19/06 09:02 PM
Here in East TX (Huntsville) we received 11 inches. My 7 acre pond is full and water is flowing through the siphon tube. Amazing, utterly amazing!!
Posted By: Texas Grey Re: Got Rain? - 10/20/06 12:33 AM
JB,

That's what the rain quivers will do to the typing fingers....
Posted By: FamilyTradition Re: Got Rain? - 10/20/06 01:36 AM
I just got back from two relaxing weeks at the farm. Rainfall total was 11 inches, which made a mess out of my new spillways. Spent most of this morning catching FH, CNBG, RES and crayfish from below the spillway and putting them back where they belong. The CNBG have had amazing growth rate doubling in size since stocking on 9/20/06. I'm sure Overton's would claim superior genetics and not the fact that maybe I did something right. \:D
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: Got Rain? - 10/20/06 08:26 PM
les see......total accumulation for 2006-2007 wet season (which generally begins in October) is 0.35 inches between 10/1 to present, most of which (0.3") fell on 10/4.

Last measurable precip before this month was ~1.5 inches in mid-April 06 (4/14-15).

current forecast is sunny and 70's for yet another week....pond is hangin though cause evap rates have slowed way down.

i measured the total summer loss on wednesday this week as 5'10" from current water level to bottom of spillway.

based on previous years, it'l take about 8-10 inches of total precip to get seasonal creeks going again and beginning to fill pond back up.
Posted By: Jake B Re: Got Rain? - 10/23/06 03:37 PM
Family Tradition,
So you got what we got too huh?? Man, I had more water flowing than I could shake a stick and up until Friday Bedias Creek was up to the bottom of the bridge on HWY 75 N! Hope we get more as we need it.
Posted By: Jake B Re: Got Rain? - 10/23/06 03:38 PM
Texas Grey,
You ain't kiddin! Where at in Grimes are you?
Posted By: FamilyTradition Re: Got Rain? - 10/23/06 07:44 PM
Jake, when I went to visit my daughter at A&M last Monday evening water was flowing over highway 30 @ Gibbons creek a good 6 inches for several hundred yards. The highway dept had us down to one lane traffic to get through.
Posted By: Jake B Re: Got Rain? - 10/24/06 05:18 PM
Wow!!! Sounds like what I saw all over Walker Co.
Posted By: Texas Grey Re: Got Rain? - 10/25/06 11:55 PM
Jake,

About 8 miles south of Iola.

FM 244 was also closed south of Carlos due to flooding.
Posted By: LoopTech Re: Got Rain? - 10/26/06 11:18 AM
Rain report from the woods of East Texas.. As of 6:00am 3.35 inches since noon yesterday.. Yea!!!!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Got Rain? - 10/26/06 11:24 AM
We got about 1/10.
Posted By: wickedinhere Re: Got Rain? - 10/26/06 11:58 AM
We got .08 over last night and their calling for 2-4 inches by friday. The river here is already way above flood stage if we 2-4 inches there is goin to be some serious flooding in my area. Good thing i am sitting on a hill hehe if i do actually see 2-4 inches my pond should be full.
Posted By: Matt Clark Re: Got Rain? - 10/26/06 12:01 PM
That's great for you guys...wish I could get some actual runoff someday. Haven't had a rain event that added more that exactly what fell since April.

Weather radar shows a strong front moving towards home (I'm at work right now), but then again, it showed another going through a few hours ago, and we've only got a trace so far.

Drought monitor shows as "abnormally dry"...duh.
Posted By: BarO Re: Got Rain? - 10/26/06 01:36 PM
We got 1.3" yesterday......slow, easy rain. Very little runoff. That's 3.5" fot the month ..... about an inch more than July-September. We'll take it!
Posted By: eddie_walker Re: Got Rain? - 10/26/06 07:42 PM
Just a little over an inch of rain here. Most of it's still just soaking into the ground. I walked my land this mornind and there is almost no evidence of any runoff.

Eddie
Posted By: wickedinhere Re: Got Rain? - 10/26/06 10:40 PM
I just got home and we have had 1.5 inches since midnight and there is more on the way. I sure hope i see a full pond in the morning if so beers are on me! But you gotta come over here for the free beer.
LIMIT ONE PER PERSON! LOL
Posted By: Eric Re: Got Rain? - 10/26/06 11:38 PM
Good Luck Wicked!!
Posted By: bobad Re: Got Rain? - 10/27/06 05:02 AM
Got 4 more inches in the past 12 hours. That makes 17" in less than 2 weeks. Some real heavy stuff is on the way. I can hear it rumbling off to the west.
Posted By: wickedinhere Re: Got Rain? - 10/27/06 11:01 AM
We got 9 inches overnight i got up at 5am to go check the pond and its overflowing. Its flooded pretty bad in my area water is over the roads down here.
Posted By: bobad Re: Got Rain? - 10/27/06 12:03 PM
My rain gage was full just a few minutes ago. It holds ~7". Who knows, we may have got 8-10". That makes at least 20" here in less than 2 weeks. We have pretty bad street flooding and school closures.

Glad your pond is full.
Posted By: eddie_walker Re: Got Rain? - 10/27/06 01:00 PM
Had a storm show up last night that was pretty localized. They said winds were up to 70mph, but I don't think they were half that.

We got 1.75 inches in half an hour, then it was gone. Hopefully this one put some water in my lake!!

Eddie
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: Got Rain? - 11/01/06 09:55 PM
am so excited i can barely stand it.....large system moving in from pacific today.......had only traces of rain in OCT and none since APRIL before that......expecting 1 to 2 inches between tomorrow and Sat......i will be settin out at pond watchin the faces of my thirsty fish look toward the sky and drinkin in the fresh agua....
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Got Rain? - 11/01/06 10:11 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by dave in el dorado ca:
am so excited i can barely stand it.....large system moving in from pacific today.......had only traces of rain in OCT and none since APRIL before that......expecting 1 to 2 inches between tomorrow and Sat......i will be settin out at pond watchin the faces of my thirsty fish look toward the sky and drinkin in the fresh agua....
I sure hope it happens for ya, DIED.
Posted By: bobad Re: Got Rain? - 11/01/06 10:45 PM
Raining here as we speak. Good luck Dave! I hope you get 4 inches, nice and slow.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Got Rain? - 11/01/06 11:42 PM
Dave, We will have to make you an honorary Texan. That's about what happens here. Well OK, the guys in East Texas got some whoppers.
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: Got Rain? - 11/05/06 05:53 PM
thanks very much guys, not happy with results......most of it fell in NorCal, Oregon, and Warshington........only 0.6-inhces Wed through Fri.........gave everybody a tiny drink though. We are heading into what looks like a wet cycle, so more should be arriving before long.
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Got Rain? - 11/14/06 02:30 AM
Just got back from the pond in Miss. It is now within 1 1/2 ft. of pool after getting down to 1 to 2 ft. in deepest part. Must have been less than 50,000 gallons. Dont know for sure. No one to give accurate info. Did not expect fish, but did trap and fish with shiners. Caught 1 CC, several female BG and trapped several class BG. Males probably fanning nests with new water and full moon, 65 degree water. 1 year ago I put in 25 2.5 inch northen LMB. I baited up with my last tiny shiner on a gold wire bream hook. Of course a bass swallowed it. It was 14+ inches and over 2 lbs. This has to be very excelerated growth. Do you think it is a rouge, or could more be anywhere near this size. Small pond, 1/2 ac. or a little more.
Posted By: ewest Re: Got Rain? - 11/14/06 04:11 AM
BM that is great news that some fish survived. \:\)

While that is on the upper end of LMB growth rates in 16 mths it is possible under your conditions. While the water went down it concentrated forage right under the LMB's nose. If it opened its mouth it caught a fish. That is one reason people use water drawdowns (to concentrate forage for predators).
Posted By: new_water_ways Re: Got Rain? - 11/14/06 02:37 PM
Well they are saying we are to get some rain this evening and maybe a little snow too. I just hope to get some more water in the pond. Keeping my fingers xed. Hubby said he had a dream the pond was over flowing. Maybe just maybe. LOL ;\)
Posted By: new_water_ways Re: Got Rain? - 11/30/06 05:23 PM
OK so how much rain has hit ya'll in Texas? We have gotten 3 1/4 inches in the last 15 hours and more on the way. Supposed to ice and snow today by late this evening. They are saying 2 to 4 inches of snow for us now. I took some pics of the pond and it has really gotten a lot of water in it. Since hubby did some digging it has spread a bunch. We have a little island now LOL.

Here is what it looked like in Sept.

And this is now.

Posted By: BarO Re: Got Rain? - 11/30/06 07:11 PM
Just .65" since 11/27. A lot of sprinkles but nothing resembling a downpour. We're envious.
© Pond Boss Forum