Pond Boss
Posted By: james holt transporting adult bass? - 04/16/06 02:34 AM
Should I use pure oxygen or just aerate with air? Also should any chemicals be added to the water? The fish will be in a 600 gallon metal stock tank for about two hours. Should I put ice in the water? Also how many fish in the two pound range can I carry at once? I will probably only try to put about 400 gallons in the tank since it tends to slosh around.
Posted By: Sunil Re: transporting adult bass? - 04/16/06 02:41 AM
James, these are some suggestions based on what I've seen my fish supplier do:

1) Oxygen is better than air.

2) Water temps are important; I've seen my fish guy use bags of ice, and also, water frozen in plastic jugs-then just put a few frozen jugs in.

3) I have seen him use a little salt many times. I believe it is regular salt, however, I don't know the proper mix. Pros will be able to clarify.
Posted By: Eastland Re: transporting adult bass? - 04/16/06 03:03 AM
James, if you pick a day in the low to mid 80's, a 2 hour trip should a lot easier than you think, no chemicals, no ice. Just crank up the aerators...a tank that size would need a 12V source. It's very easy for me to move them on a smaller scale, a single airstone in a 40 gallon cooler transports 12 LMB in the 12-15 inch range for 5 hours. The water sloshes (is that a word) a lot on the road, hitting bumps and stuff, I have done it 3 times and only lost 1 fish. I will be moving my Tilapia that way any day now...120 qt. coolers work great. Just make sure that your container has a lid.
Posted By: sebof Re: transporting adult bass? - 04/16/06 03:12 AM
If your use ice, do not use storbought ice.
It is more than likely made from chlorinated water. Just freeze some 2L bottles and use those.
Posted By: james holt Re: transporting adult bass? - 04/16/06 03:24 AM
This is my second attempt at this. My first attempt I didn't use an aerator and lost some of the fish.
Posted By: PondsForFun Re: transporting adult bass? - 04/16/06 10:41 AM
This is not an easy task as the "Share a lunker" program found out. Go down to tips for handling.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/visitorcenters/tffc/budsharelunker/rules/
Posted By: csmith Re: transporting adult bass? - 04/16/06 02:48 PM
I have hauled 4-6 pd Bass in hot weather and I use a oxygen tank just like the one used for a cutting torch. I has a small airstone attached to the end of my tubing with a weight to hold it at the bottom. I also have a circulator that runs off of a car battery to constantly turn the water. I have a 340 gallon fish hauler that I have finally figured out. It sloshes a lot less when you have it virtually full verses having it halfway full. Just my observations.
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: transporting adult bass? - 04/16/06 03:45 PM
With that many gallons you can haul those bass just fine without anything. Add 6 lbs of salt and put in some jugs of ice to help but that is lots of water. Some comparision we can with a point four diffuser in 75 gallons keep 150 lbs of bass alive for 12 hours with no problems.
Posted By: turkeyfootnc Re: transporting adult bass? - 04/16/06 08:28 PM
Recently I transported 10 crappie, 1 channel catfish and 1 white bass from Jordan Lake to my house. The fish made it just fine. The lake is 2 hours away and we stopped to eat for 30-45 minutes. I transported them in a 48 qt. polar roller cooler and I used an aerator and my 12V trolling moter to keep water circulating. I also stopped and bought a bag of ice but did NOT open the ice since it did melt I didn't want to take the chance of the chlorine in that water to kill the fish. Here's my aerator. It has helped transport a lot of fish from pond to pond.
Posted By: Eastland Re: transporting adult bass? - 04/16/06 09:12 PM
Just and additional comment, adding a small amount of water or ice with chlorine shouldn't interfere with the transport, just keep the water/ice additions below 10% of the total volume of water.
© Pond Boss Forum