Pond Boss
Posted By: Eric_in_TN Can I start stocking? (pic) - 04/07/06 02:58 PM
Below is a pic of the 3/10 acre pond I dug about 6 weeks ago. It wasn't filling up very fast due to some mounded up earth above it directing runoff around the side. A couple weeks ago I used the dozer to fix that drainage problem and now alot more runoff is making it's way in. I'd say there is about 4' of water now and we are supposed to get 2" of rain tonight and tomorrow. The rain should raise it quite a bit more based on how much water was dumped in since the drainage has been fixed. The water is still very muddy brown, although it has been clearing alot any time it can sit about a week without rain. I've sown grass seed and there is alot of tiny grass growing all around the banks. But it's so small you can't really see in the pics, plus it was almost dark when I took the picture.

Anyways, can I start stocking now or do I have to wait until the water clears up and there is vegetation on the banks? There are already water bugs and a few frogs in there.

Thanks,
Eric

Posted By: will Re: Can I start stocking? (pic) - 04/07/06 03:19 PM
I would put some fathead minnows in now. But would try to wait to see how well your water level is maintained.
Posted By: california guy Re: Can I start stocking? (pic) - 04/07/06 03:53 PM
Eric, I would listen to everything these guys tell you, I did my stcking backwards 2 years ago and have been trying to correct it ever since.I didn't know about Pond Boss at the time...Thats going to be a nice pond, I know you'll enjoy it. Kevin
Posted By: Brettski Re: Can I start stocking? (pic) - 04/07/06 05:14 PM
...I think I recognize dem 4 posts. If you listen closely, you can hear 'em beg for pier attention. ;\)
Posted By: Eric_in_TN Re: Can I start stocking? (pic) - 04/07/06 06:00 PM
LOL, you're right Brettski. When I last posted pics of them there was no water around em' ;\)

I do want to complete the pier soon, but am in the process of finishing repairs on an old barn on the property. I kind of wanted to wait until the pond was full before finishing the pier. Probably won't be able to stand waiting that long \:D
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Can I start stocking? (pic) - 04/07/06 06:54 PM
Check your water quality first. I would wait until I had a phytoplankton base.

Aw heck, toss in some fatheads. They're cheap and it gives you something to look for and to look forward to.
© Pond Boss Forum