Pond Boss
Posted By: Gambusia Can there be fish in this pond? - 03/25/06 06:35 PM
Here in Western North Carolina the city of Asheville bought 155 acres along the Swannanoa River,a stocked trout river and turned it into a soccer complex and park called Azalea Park.

The map is here at the bottom:

http://www.ci.asheville.nc.us/parks/Azalea%20Park%20Web/index.htm

Anyway the two blue spots on the map are old ponds. I was wondering if it's possible that fish could get into the ponds if noone has ever stocked them there?

I was thinking of visiting the bigger of the two ponds (next to I the proposed ampitheater) and seeing if any fish exist in it this spring.

Thanks
Posted By: Eastland Re: Can there be fish in this pond? - 03/25/06 07:13 PM
If they are older ponds, I'm 99.9 % sure they will have some sort fish present. We've debated this topic many times, so odds are 1) An individual put some fish in there. 2) Birds transplanted them somehow. (highly debated topic...although I have personally witnessed a blue heron spiking a crappie, and relocating it to a shallow area for later consumption). 3) Tornados sucking up fish, lol reports have stated perch flopping around in front yards. 4) runoff...simply coming in from a higher water source overflowing. I think you should set a minnow trap, then bait up a work too...reporting back \:\)
Posted By: Gambusia Re: Can there be fish in this pond? - 03/25/06 07:25 PM
I've got a minnow trap so what should I bait it with to sample a pond?

Thanks
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Can there be fish in this pond? - 03/25/06 07:49 PM
Bread - works pretty good. Bigger pieces stay in trap longer when fish are picking at it.
Posted By: Gambusia Re: Can there be fish in this pond? - 03/25/06 10:30 PM
Thanks Bill
Posted By: csmith Re: Can there be fish in this pond? - 03/26/06 06:08 PM
Gambusia, Get a pair of hose from your wifes drawer, fill it up with corn meal,make a knot on the looose end and put that in your trap, works great for perch and minnows and will stay in the trap a long time.
© Pond Boss Forum