Pond Boss
Posted By: Lowell Sprayer Problems with Copper Sulfate - 05/13/05 10:26 PM
New Pond owner! I bought a lot last year with a small pond approx 1/3 acre. There is an algae problem and I have sprayed it twice with Copper Sulfate and this takes acre of all the surface algae. My problem is the Copper Sulfate destroys the nylon rollers in a new Hypro Roller pump after one use. Hypro Tech Services tell me there isn't a roller pump with any type rollers that will tolerate the use of Copper Sulfate due the abrasivness of this product. My question is, Will Cutrine Plus or other chelated copper products be safe to use with roller pump application? Thanks for any assistance.
Our lake corporation uses Cultrine Plus in a 15 gallon electric sprayer that we bought from a farm supply store. We have it rigged up with a boom for the getting it put down in a hurry and have it tee off so we can use a wand sprayer when the water gets shallow and we can spray about 20 feet away. Hope this gives you an idea it has worked for us for two years with not problem just remember to drain it in the winter.
Posted By: Lowell Re: Sprayer Problems with Copper Sulfate - 05/14/05 09:24 PM
Thanks John, Appreciate the info. Sounds like the way to go with electric sprayer.
Lowell - the Hypro folks are right. Roller-pumps are best suited to non-corrosive liquids (no wettable powders or abrasive products).

Diaphram or piston pumps (12v or gas-powered) are much more versitile in respect to what they'll handle, though a bit more complicated to plumb.
Here's a commercial-grade 12v sprayer that I assemble for lake management companies (twin 12v 3.6 gpm pumps with individual or consolidated output, plus agitation for a 50 gal mix-tank).

It is definitely more capable than what most private pond-owners need. But, if you purchase a 12v sprayer, be sure to look for a pump with at least a 3 gpm capacity (suggestion). It will provide much greater reach and mat-penetration capabilities in comparison to the little 1.4 or 1.8 gpm pumps.
Posted By: Lowell Re: Sprayer Problems with Copper Sulfate - 05/18/05 02:18 PM
Kelly, Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question. The is very good info, especially for rookie like me. I will certaily follow your suggestions.
© Pond Boss Forum