Pond Boss
Posted By: VAPond2003 Aerating in the winter for ducks - 11/15/04 09:41 PM
We have 4 ducks that can't fly that live in our pond. I was thinking of putting the Aerator up close to shore and setting the timer on it for 5 mins every hour or so to keep a small piece of hte pond from freezeing for hte ducks. Would this hurt the ponds stratification or whatever aerating does? The pond is stoked w/ Bass And i don't want to stress them, for the pond is only about 8 maybe 9 feet deep at the deepest.
VaPond, Unless your pond is very very small you will not hurt anything. And your ducks will thank you !! Ted
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Aerating in the winter for ducks - 11/16/04 04:15 AM
I've seen ducks keep water open on their own by constantly swimming around. It seems to me you can't get that much ice in VA. How much ice do you get and for how long?
Posted By: VAPond2003 Re: Aerating in the winter for ducks - 11/18/04 08:32 PM
Our pond is a little over half an acre. It got pretty icy here last winter... The pond was frozen solid for about a month and i could walk on the ice. 4 inch think about .. maybe more. I just don't want to stress the fish out by havin' the aerator on during the winter.
© Pond Boss Forum